Dress Code & Good Manners

Canusa02

Dear Hartlepool,

I agree with you completely. It is all about abiding by the rules and doing the right thing. There are those who are class acts and those who are not. It's just how the world goes round. :)

So true.:D

Wow, we are in the presence of a master. I'm impressed with this clever technique of using humility as a passive aggressive style to say “it’s my world and you’re just plain wrong”. The eloquence of the suave delivery even hints at being more righteous. All I can say is well done. I find myself tempted to borrow this Eddie Haskell style of assertiveness accept I would break out laughing half way through the delivery. Acting is not in my blood, but I do enjoy watching true artists (con?) in action.

More! More!

Burt

Eddie Haskell. Now that's a very, very old pop culture reference. That reference might be more appropriate on a Holland America bb ;)

Staying with pop culture TV characters, my style is closer to that Southern gentleman lawyer Ben Matlock, the 1990's more affable version of Perry Mason.:D I don't think either of these two characters could be described as a sycophant.;)

I have no use for a suit or a tux in my everyday life, I work from home. & I sure as heck will not waste the money on one for a once a year trip. I will, as I always have, where a pair of khakis/button down/tie. Or if you're lucky, a polo. That's what I have & that's what I can afford. I'm not trying to break any rules or go against the grain, I just do what I can.

I think some people in here are wealthier & maybe more affluent. So they don't understand people who can't afford such fancy garments, or they truly do want class separation.

This year though I will splurge & buy a bow tie. ;)

I really don't think it is a matter of how much money someone has. Many of my friends are perfectly well-dressed and they do it on a very tight budget. Actually, they look better than a lot of my friends that spend a ton of dough on their outfits.

As Flames9 said, it is the E-Docs that Celebrity send, not the TA. The dress code policy is also on their (clunky) website in several places including the FAQs and the pre cruise ('what shall I pack') section.

I agree that once someone has cruised, they are less likely to read all the documentation.:D

I don't need told what to or how to pack.......my god talk about sheep...

I agree with the gentleman above I will not be buying a tux or renting a tux for it to lie in a box 50 weeks of the year... Yes I'm a peasant I can only afford a £4400 cruise once a year. So I'll repeat black suit white shirt and a dickie bow tie in the mdr on the these so called special nights ...oh and knickers and a string vest...if I remember to pack them.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I agree with the gentleman above I will not be buying a tux or renting a tux for it to lie in a box 50 weeks of the year... Yes I'm a peasant I can only afford a £4400 cruise once a year. So I'll repeat black suit white shirt and a dickie bow tie in the mdr on the these so called special nights ...oh and knickers and a string vest...if I remember to pack them.

For the non-formal evenings? ;)

No one said you did.:eek:

People can feel free to wear whatever they want, pack whatever they want.

I was answering a question that someone had posted. :D

Just do not whinge to me that Celebrity or the TA didn't inform you of the dress code (and its miriade of interpretations).:D

Sent from my PC using a QWERTY keyboard.

My goodness, folks, this dress code thing is certainly not life threatening is it? We are retired and live in Florida. I don't think there is such a thing as "dress up" in Florida. Unless you are going out to a fancy show or restaurant, or are a lawyer, you don't wear a coat and tie in this state.

This being said, if people want to lug formal clothes on a cruise then have at it. That is their preference. My wife and I don't lug formal clothes as we don't even have formal clothes and, if we did, we would not be lugging them on vacation. When the formal nights roll around we will simply go to one of the other places to eat or will order room service. Problem, if that is what it is, solved.

My goodness, folks, this dress code thing is certainly not life threatening is it? We are retired and live in Florida. I don't think there is such a thing as "dress up" in Florida. Unless you are going out to a fancy show or restaurant, or are a lawyer, you don't wear a coat and tie in this state.

This being said, if people want to lug formal clothes on a cruise then have at it. That is their preference. My wife and I don't lug formal clothes as we don't even have formal clothes and, if we did, we would not be lugging them on vacation. When the formal nights roll around we will simply go to one of the other places to eat or will order room service. Problem, if that is what it is, solved.

The thing is that you do what you think you should do, which is as it should be. Others will do what they think they should do and they are happy as well. The ship is big enough to cater for every persons tastes. :D

my style is closer to that Southern gentleman lawyer Ben Matlock, the 1990's more affable version of Perry Mason.:D I don't think either of these two characters could be described as a sycophant.;)

That is exactly what Eddie would say. :D

But if you really need to think of yourself as a Southern gentleman, look toward Professor G.H. Dorr, the character Tom Hanks played in Ladykillers.

Burt

That is exactly what Eddie would say. :D

But if you really need to think of yourself as a Southern gentleman, look toward Professor G.H. Dorr, the character Tom Hanks played in Ladykillers.

Burt

Now that is very funny. Thanks for the laugh. :D

Naaaaa Scottish where is your style white socks with sandals green shorts and pink string vest it wisna pink when I bought it silly woman

Sorry, my mistake. Seemed to forget when one crosses the border into Scotland there is a fundamental change in sartorial elegance, eloquence and good manners.

Sorry, my mistake. Seemed to forget when one crosses the border into Scotland there is a fundamental change in sartorial elegance, eloquence and good manners.

Could it be that the Scot in formal attire also carries a weapon?;)

Every time I post on one of these dress code threads I swear I will never do so again but here I am. :D. Have just skimmed through the pages - some thoughts:

- the code is the code. Ignoring the code because you don't like it is rude and childish - like a two year old having a tantrum

- Commenting to someone on their dress onboard is rude. I have never heard anyone do it, nor seen dirty looks for that matter

- If you don't want to dress up, choose another line or choose another dining option. There are many to choose from for each

- If you can't afford a suit but want to abide by the code head to Goodwill. You can find a nice condition jacket and/or suit for around $10 or so. Sorry, but if you can't afford that I am very surprised you can afford a cruise, even allowing that many people save for months or years for these things. We are talking minimal extra $$ if you buy used. I hate to buy formal wear (I am female) at the prices they charge, and I have picked up more than one new or like-new formal item at Goodwill for next to nothing. As they say, reduce, reuse, recycle. it works. If you don't like that option, try borrowing from a friend or family member.

- If you are large sized and your luggage gets lost, you should have pre-planned and cross packed. Our family has the same issue and we always cross pack for that reason. Might we have to eat in alternate dining? maybe, depending which case is lost. If we have to, we have to. However, if Celebrity loses the luggage I would head right to the maitre'd and insist we be given access to the MDR regardless

- we have encountered several cruises where formal wear was required in the theater - in three cases on the first floor only and in one case in the entire theater. I don't think that is right as it is not published policy but there it is

- people have a responsibility to be accountable for their actions. Anyone who goes on a cruise and does not do some research ahead of time to learn the rules, regs, procedures, etc.. is being irresponsible and needs to live with the consequences. Their choice. There is a ton of information available - just takes a little effort and some initiative

- we shouldn't get to pick and choose the rules we decide to follow. How would you like it if people started ignoring the "only potty trained babies in the whirlpools" rule and they became whirling pools of you-know-what? Ick!! (I know this does happen on occasion and it is no fun!)

- it sounds so snarky, but it really isn't meant to be -once again, if you don't like the rules of this cruiseline choose another. There are many out there. Or write to the president/CEO, or post regularly about them on these boards, and try to get the rules changed. That's fair. In the meantime, follow them.

Hi Everyone,

As this thread has gone completely off-topic, and spiralled downhill, it is now closed.

Thanks very much for your understanding.

Archived