Dress Code & Good Manners

Canusa02

The small percentage of badly dressed people (e.g. paisley cummerbunds and dresses which show far too much flesh) can be easily ignored.

I think it really depends on the person wearing such an outfit.:D

On the right person, I certainly do not mind this but do find it hard to ignore.:rolleyes:

You have got to be kidding? You equate adhering to the dress code to destructive social issues throughout history?

Why not? One gets the impression that some think the degeneration of formality is akin to the Decline and Fall of Western Civilization.

It is the non-avoidance which is being debated.
Most people seem to dress nicely on Formal Nights. You pay a lot of money for your cruise so most people want to eat in the dining rooms for dinner. Let's not get too dictatorial about what to wear. Everyone is there to have fun.:)

I think it really depends on the person wearing such an outfit.:D

On the right person, I certainly do not mind this but do find it hard to ignore.:rolleyes:

But of course. I certainly wouldn't want men to be showing too much flesh.

Would it be nice if we were all on the same cruise, could you imagine what formal night would be like. The cruise ship would save a fortune we would to busy saying look at the slob, snob than enjoying the meal. Listen people your on holiday for god sake wear what you think, i know i will, because I'm sick of the bitching.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

At 17 pages this dress code thread is lasting longer than most so I think it's time to bring it back on topic :)

Recent reports are that some ships on some itineraries have gone rogue and requested formal in Blu. Under these circumstances - a clear violation of Celebrity's policy - would anyone consider it bad manners to ignore that request, particularly as some people may not have packed formal wear. By the same token if a ship requested formal in the theatre (another violation of published policy) would it be rude to ignore it?

I find it quite interesting that *I* am accused of arrogance for *MY* post, when my post is nothing but a (grantedly sarcastic) parody, using many of the same words and phrases, from a quoted post by someone else. :cool:

I guess it COULD be that people did not bother to read the quoted post, especially those words and phrases of the quoted post that I highlighted.

I guess it COULD be that people don't recognize the concepts of "parody,"

"sarcasm," "irony," and "illustrating the absurd with the absurd." ;)

I guess it could be that peoples' own biases (acknowledged or not) tend to launch a person's response in the direction of their own thoughts. (or biases) :rolleyes:

But just for fun, here's another example...

And just for some REAL giggles, you probably wouldn't even recognize me in the MDR... because I wear a jacket and tie more often than not...

...EVEN ON NON-FORMAL NIGHTS! :eek: GASP! SHOCK! HORROR!

(I am SSOOO COMPLETELY relieved to now know "I have MANNERS!") :rolleyes: (OK, just some occasional gas)

NOW all I need is a ruling as to whether or not it is a "Dinner Jacket" or just one of those cheap, pitiful, tacky and disgusting "blazers." (It really COULD affect the rate of hydrogen fusion in the solar core ya know!)

Oh, and while the jury is deliberating anyway, could you PLEASE tell me just HOW many Angels really CAN dance on the head of a pin? Thanks! :p

I have to admit I really don't find Blazers acceptable at all. but then again I have always been more of a Ford man than a Chevy guy .

Now a BRONCO over a dinner jacket I think is perfectly fine.

An F150 maybe with jeans on a casual night. *LOL*

Come on people get a life instead of worrying about what people wear. if the staff don't let them in we'll it their fault. I am totally amazed with that people can be so cruel to judge others. What happen if some poor person has saved up for 10 years to go on a cruise and all the have is a shirt, tie and trousers are we that snobby that we should repel them form dinning beside someone in a tux. If you do then shame on you.

Agreed and you give one clear example of when ignoring the dress code is clearly not intended to be rude or bad mannered. Another example would be those first time cruisers who trust their travel agent to give them all the necessary information but for whatever reason never get informed of the dress code, or that formal nights even exist.

Agreed and you give one clear example of when ignoring the dress code is clearly not intended to be rude or bad mannered. Another example would be those first time cruisers who trust their travel agent to give them all the necessary information but for whatever reason never get informed of the dress code, or that formal nights even exist.

The dress code is raised in the travel documentation (normally around 15 pages). I would imagine that any first time cruiser would read this whole document due to the excitment of it all, I know I did.:D

As there are a lot of seasoned cruisers on this thread.

Perhaps it is the ones that are 'over' the occasion (getting dressed up to the nines) of formal nights and therefore do not want to partake any more.

I am sure that the majority of us here, really enjoyed the first formal night but our enthusiasm has waned somewhat since then.

Somewhat???? I've retired three tuxes and I'm not getting another...

and I'll take a collection from all those who want to send me to the specialty restaurant of my choice if you don't want to share "your" MDR on formal night...;)

I guess it could be that peoples' own biases (acknowledged or not) tend to launch a person's response in the direction of their own thoughts. (or biases)

You're still too young and perhaps have not learned some basic western history....;)

If it was not for the barbarians, formal men's wear in the western world would require a toga.

and some really great words of wisdom:

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —
Greg King

...and there will be as many threads about this topic as there are angels on that pin.

Somewhat???? I've retired three tuxes and I'm not getting another...

and I'll take a collection from all those who want to send me to the specialty restaurant of my choice if you don't want to share "your" MDR on formal night...;)

You're still too young and perhaps have not learned some basic western history....;)

If it was not for the barbarians, formal men's wear in the western world would require a toga.

and some really great words of wisdom:

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —
Greg King

...and there will be as many threads about this topic as there are angels on that pin.

Exactly.:D

The dress code is raised in the travel documentation (normally around 15 pages). I would imagine that any first time cruiser would read this whole document due to the excitment of it all, I know I did.:D

Perhaps, but I know on my first cruise I was just given an info dump by my TA and he mentioned nothing about formal nights. Most of the first-time cruisers I travelled with weren't aware of them either (it was a big group too) and those that were just assumed they could be ignored. Of course that was on a ship which didn't really enforce formal dress codes but on my second cruise with a different cruiseline I just assumed I knew everything and ignored the documentation. The number of tuxes completely shocked me. These days I'm a lot more thorough in my research.

What travel documentation I booked through celebrity and I never received an 18 page document.

What travel documentation I booked through celebrity and I never received an 18 page document.

Our first celebrity cruise is TODAY...and yes Celebrity provides one with an E-doc,or what they call as a Guest booklet...it is found ONLINE at the celebrity website in your Online check in page.It shows up around day 45 before ur trip.Some get it sooner,some later. Some get an email from Celebrity stating it is ready to be viewed..some do not. Mine was actually from RCCL.com, and others come with a celebrity.com addy.

Soon off to catch the taxi to head to the ship. Please enjoy ur banter about the dress codes,lol

Come on people get a life instead of worrying about what people wear. if the staff don't let them in we'll it their fault. I am totally amazed with that people can be so cruel to judge others. What happen if some poor person has saved up for 10 years to go on a cruise and all the have is a shirt, tie and trousers are we that snobby that we should repel them form dinning beside someone in a tux. If you do then shame on you.

I.m with you. I'm one of those people that have saved up for 10 years. Luckily for me it doesn't seem like anyone here is going on the same cruise. Been trying to save up enough to buy the tie for hubby though :)

I have no use for a suit or a tux in my everyday life, I work from home. & I sure as heck will not waste the money on one for a once a year trip. I will, as I always have, where a pair of khakis/button down/tie. Or if you're lucky, a polo. That's what I have & that's what I can afford. I'm not trying to break any rules or go against the grain, I just do what I can.

I think some people in here are wealthier & maybe more affluent. So they don't understand people who can't afford such fancy garments, or they truly do want class separation.

This year though I will splurge & buy a bow tie. ;)

I really cannot believe what I have just read. The cruise line makes it absolutely clear, BEFORE YOU MAKE A RESERVATION, what their rules and regulations are. If you are not prepared to abide by these rules then, quite simply, do not make a reservation with the cruise line. I would also respectfully suggest that attempting to enter the MDR on a formsl night in shorts and T-shirt is not only disrespectful to other diners, but also shows a "I can do what I like" attitude which is totally unforgivable.

Dear Hartlepool,

I agree with you completely. It is all about abiding by the rules and doing the right thing. There are those who are class acts and those who are not. It's just how the world goes round. :)

One thing boogs is correct about (IMHO) is that I 'test and question the system' and I am VERY, VERY proud of that! I am a contrarian by nature. As you can see by my signature I have an extreme aversion to the conventional view. People may not like that about me but it has been a very successful life strategy both personally and professionally. Don't worry boogs I'm not a politician or a policy maker :D - just a good old Capitalist business person and academic – and yes, I drive my colleagues, students, and college administration crazy with all my questioning and challenging of so-called conventional wisdom. :)

Wow, we are in the presence of a master. I'm impressed with this clever technique of using humility as a passive aggressive style to say “it’s my world and you’re just plain wrong”. The eloquence of the suave delivery even hints at being more righteous. All I can say is well done. I find myself tempted to borrow this Eddie Haskell style of assertiveness accept I would break out laughing half way through the delivery. Acting is not in my blood, but I do enjoy watching true artists (con?) in action.

More! More!

Burt

Perhaps, but I know on my first cruise I was just given an info dump by my TA and he mentioned nothing about formal nights. Most of the first-time cruisers I travelled with weren't aware of them either (it was a big group too) and those that were just assumed they could be ignored. Of course that was on a ship which didn't really enforce formal dress codes but on my second cruise with a different cruiseline I just assumed I knew everything and ignored the documentation. The number of tuxes completely shocked me. These days I'm a lot more thorough in my research.

As Flames9 said, it is the E-Docs that Celebrity send, not the TA. The dress code policy is also on their (clunky) website in several places including the FAQs and the pre cruise ('what shall I pack') section.

I agree that once someone has cruised, they are less likely to read all the documentation.:D

Archived