Fire on Grandeur with major damage

H2OH!

All,

There was a fire on Grandeur last night. All passengers are accounted for and appear to be safe. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. there is a picture of the damage...pretty significant. see page 8 post 156.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1851164&page=8

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1851164

https://twitter.com/RoyalCaribPR/status/339031221185171457/photo/1

I literally just saw this on our local news. A couple form the area is on the ship and sent in video to the local news. It showed them in their muster stations very early in the morning. The reporter talked to them & the lady said she's never been happier to reach land. She said it was scary she could smell the fire, but the crew seemed very under control.

The most interesting thing in the video was all the passengers seemed pretty calm. No one seemd to be freaking out, so I thought that was good.

I literally just saw this on our local news. A couple form the area is on the ship and sent in video to the local news. It showed them in their muster stations very early in the morning. The reporter talked to them & the lady said she's never been happier to reach land. She said it was scary she could smell the fire, but the crew seemed very under control.

The most interesting thing in the video was all the passengers seemed pretty calm. No one seemd to be freaking out, so I thought that was good.

So nice to hear that the crew seemed very under control and that the passengers seemed calm. I had been wondering what the experience was like for all onboard.

From all accounts, RCL handled the major problem extremely well....cudo's to them for getting the fire under control and getting the passengers prepared to do whatever was necessary for their safety.

wow. thanks for sharing this. Looks like things are being handled well.

One of the few times that it doesn't pay to have an aft balcony cabin.....

Yeah, no kidding.

Ah so sad, Grandeur was my first BIG SHIP. Back in 1997 it was one of the largest ships to sail the oceans! I loved it! Always something special ones very first cruise! ( Well not very first but first on a real big one that is) Good that nobody was hurt or inured.

I hope they get her back in " shape" soon.

Michael

Hey, if this scares some people away from the aft balconies all the better for us 'afties'.:D

I'm glad everyone on board is OK. But what a mess.

We're booked on Grandeur for the 6/28 sailing. Anxiously awaiting news about future sailings. How long do these sorts of repairs take?

Oh my. It will be interesting to see what happens.

It always cracks me up with the reporters that have to interview people to get a response. One is "This is the first time I have ever been on a cruise and I am really scared." Does it really matter if it is your first or 100th? I think everyone would be scared or concerned. It is not as if oh I have been on cruises before and the fire is nothing new as it happens all the time. :confused:

Too bad people don't learn and realize how dangerous fires are and not try to bend the rules of doing things that are prohibited or banned on ships. It is always "me" and what does it affect or it can't hurt anything because I am special or know what I am doing. It doesn't stop at fires but also the sanitation precautions like not washing hands, children without diapers in pools, glass ware in pools, and etc.

It always cracks me up with the reporters that have to interview people to get a response. One is "This is the first time I have ever been on a cruise and I am really scared." Does it really matter if it is your first or 100th? I think everyone would be scared or concerned. It is not as if oh I have been on cruises before and the fire is nothing new as it happens all the time. :confused:

Too bad people don't learn and realize how dangerous fires are and not try to bend the rules of doing things that are prohibited or banned on ships. It is always "me" and what does it affect or it can't hurt anything because I am special or know what I am doing. It doesn't stop at fires but also the sanitation precautions like not washing hands, children without diapers in pools, glass ware in pools, and etc.

Not sure why you find the comment of a scared passenger to be funny. It's easy to pick apart someone's comments when you are sitting safely in your home, but he or she has just finished going through a harrowing experience. A bit of empathy would serve you better.

Are you suggesting that the fire was caused by someone "doing things that are prohibited or banned on ships"? My review of the media to date hasn't suggested that was the case, but perhaps you have seen something I've missed.

What we know:

There was a fire.

All passengers accounted for.

No one hurt.

Everyone gets a refund and a cruise

Crew did their jobs as trained.

What we don't know:

The cause.

Let's wait for the results of the investigation before we draw conclusions.

At about 2:00 pm CNBC reporters discussed the situation. The lead reporter asked if anyone had cruised. One reporter said that she cruised only because she "loved her mother" She added that she felt that ships presented a dangerious situation since they are few exits and that there needs to be changes. She has only been on one cruise (with her mother) and failed to identify the line. The lead host said that he might now be tempted to cruise since prices will probably come down. WQaited for responses from spokespeople from the cruise industry and or experienced cruisers.

A train just derailed near Baltimore. Coal cars and a tanker car along with box cars. Fire reported. Accidentsa are not exclusive to cruise ships. I wonder how many of the CNBC reporters will now avoid taking trains.

A train just derailed near Baltimore. Coal cars and a tanker car along with box cars. Fire reported. Accidentsa are not exclusive to cruise ships. I wonder how many of the CNBC reporters will now avoid taking trains.

...thirty THOUSAND people die and 100,000 are maimed in car accidents in the US alone every year, and traffic still doesn't seem to get any lighter. :rolleyes:

When you compare the numbers of cruise ship embarkations world wide every year, (not even factoring in the numbers of shipboard workers not included) and compare to the number of fatalities, cruising is the SECOND safest form of travel...after walking. ;)

...thirty THOUSAND people die and 100,000 are maimed in car accidents in the US alone every year, and traffic still doesn't seem to get any lighter. :rolleyes:

When you compare the numbers of cruise ship embarkations world wide every year, (not even factoring in the numbers of shipboard workers not included) and compare to the number of fatalities, cruising is the SECOND safest form of travel...after walking. ;)

You are correct as usual. Rare events make news more frequently than common events. I tend to welcome "panic" as a way of getting better deals on both stock purchases and travel.

I read one article that quoted a passenger and his wife as saying the cabin steward woke them and told them to grab their life vests and head to the muster station and it "was NOT a drill." They then described that the muster stations were quite calm with the crew handling things very efficiently.

Bottled water was handed out in the heat and passengers took turns holding infants and watching children so that parents could use the restroom.

Sounds like the crew knew EXACTLY what to do and handled it well given we are not hearing the doom and gloom claims like Carnival has when a disaster strikes.

Archived