Sorrento's Pizza

I've done the Freedom class twice and I (kinda sorta) remember that they had salads, antipasto, fruit, a couple of desserts, and maybe even calzones or stromboli(sp) slices.

Earlier this year on Oasis, Sorrento's was basically just pizza.

Is it good? Depends on your watermark. I'm from Chicago and we have high standards for pizza. It is NOT Chicago pizza, let me just say that it is not horrible. As my late husband used to say "It's better than a stick in the eye!". You can usually find little sandwiches at the Cafe Promenade, however, just down a bit and across the Promenade.

Enjoy your cruise. I'll be back on Freedom later this year.

Edited by dreamer976

We are at odds a bit. I am from NY and prefer that style over Chicago and we have high standards also. For one that NY style is better than Chicago's. LOL

Edited by shields503

I've done the Freedom class twice and I (kinda sorta) remember that they had salads, antipasto, fruit, a couple of desserts, and maybe even calzones or stromboli(sp) slices.

Earlier this year on Oasis, Sorrento's was basically just pizza.

Is it good? Depends on your watermark. I'm from Chicago and we have high standards for pizza. It is NOT Chicago pizza, let me just say that it is not horrible. As my late husband used to say "It's better than a stick in the eye!". You can usually find little sandwiches at the Cafe Promenade, however, just down a bit and across the Promenade.

Enjoy your cruise. I'll be back on Freedom later this year.

We are at odds a bit. I am from NY and prefer that style over Chicago and we have high standards also. For one that NY style is better than Chicago's. LOL

Do I want to go NY and be stuck with a big floppy slice that doesn't have the fortitude to stand on its own or do I want to go Chicago and chew on something so full of crust I need chainsaw to cut it down to size. :p

I'll take neither and go thin crust. :D

I prefer NY style over Chicago style too. NOT a deep dish fan at all! But I don't think all Chicago pizza is deep dish?

Sorrentos is really neither though. It's about on par or slightly better than Tombstone to me lol. Not great but not terrible.

Princess pizza looks incredible and like NY style and I've heard from many it's the best pizza at sea.

Do I want to go NY and be stuck with a big floppy slice that doesn't have the fortitude to stand on its own or do I want to go Chicago and chew on something so full of crust I need chainsaw to cut it down to size. :p

I'll take neither and go thin crust. :D

GIFFFFFF.gif

Like the others said its not memorable the pizza, but it certainly was yummy after a long day as a midnight snack... Then a quick walk across the promenade to get some cookies and coffee. :)

Ha ha my friends from other parts of the country argue over this too. I was told NYC pizza was awful. Really,even the bad pizzerias have better than outside of the area. We like our real ingredients.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I prefer NY style over Chicago style too. NOT a deep dish fan at all! But I don't think all Chicago pizza is deep dish?

Sorrentos is really neither though. It's about on par or slightly better than Tombstone to me lol. Not great but not terrible.

Princess pizza looks incredible and like NY style and I've heard from many it's the best pizza at sea.

You are correct, there are some famous deep dish pizza places in Chicago, but the majority of pizza places serve thin crust. However, even the thin crust pizza in Chicago is not floppy and does not have to be folded over to be eaten.

Neither from Chicago or New York, having said that like deep dish better anyway. I eat pizza with a fork, what can I say! Sorrento's, it's edible. I guess it depends what you're in the mood for and how hungry you are at the time. Didn't notice any subs or "grinders".

I have never met a pizza I didn't like. Keep trying to find one, unsuccessful. Will continue my quest.

Sorrento's is fine. It's a cruise ship after all. I haven't been on Carnival for a number of years, but their pizza was, hands down, the best at sea. But heck, Sorrento's has crust, cheese, a variety of toppings, it's 24 hrs a day, it's FREE, and you can even have a custom made. So what's not to like?

By the way Chicago style or NY style??? I am not a "thin" crust guy, but love both styles. Favorite pizza in San Diego (where I grew up) is Filippi's.

Never met a Philly Cheese Steak I didn't like either. And don't forget Dinic's Roast Pork!

I have never met a pizza I didn't like. Keep trying to find one, unsuccessful. Will continue my quest.

Sorrento's is fine. It's a cruise ship after all. I haven't been on Carnival for a number of years, but their pizza was, hands down, the best at sea. But heck, Sorrento's has crust, cheese, a variety of toppings, it's 24 hrs a day, it's FREE, and you can even have a custom made. So what's not to like?

By the way Chicago style or NY style??? I am not a "thin" crust guy, but love both styles. Favorite pizza in San Diego (where I grew up) is Filippi's.

Never met a Philly Cheese Steak I didn't like either. And don't forget Dinic's Roast Pork!

Sorrento's is closer to Chicago style in that you don't have fold it and eat it like a grilled cheese sandwich as the NY style requires.

do i want to go ny and be stuck with a big floppy slice that doesn't have the fortitude to stand on its own or do i want to go chicago and chew on something so full of crust i need chainsaw to cut it down to size. :p

i'll take neither and go thin crust. :d

Too funny. Chicago style almost reminds me more of a casserole in a crust.......

Edited by bouhunter

To the OP, the pizza is OK. Taste is OK, the size is smaller than your usual pizzeria slice -- think frozen, oven-made pizza. Don't recall any calzones.

Edited by KMagz

For one that NY style is better than Chicago's. LOL

Nothing better than a good NY style slice.

I'm just amused at how folks rave over the baby-sized beef on weck they serve at the Park Cafe. It was interesting to see the phenomenon of Theresa's wings escape Buffalo.

We enjoyed Sorrentos almost every day while on board. Specifically, we were on Freedom, and I'm not sure if it has the same menu on all ships. There were usually 3-4 different types of pizza each day. Always a pepperoni and then maybe a chicken, veggie, or other specialty. There were also anitpasto fixings. I am almost positive that there was a panini of the day which changed daily. I never ordered it, but the people who did usually had to wait about 10 minutes because they did not make them up ahead of time. I stuck with the pepperoni pizza and was pleased. It was not extraordinary, but was good for an afternoon or late night snack.

I think my favorite thing about Sorrentos was the desserts! They had small cups of different desserts. Usually 4-5 varieties a day that changed each day, but were repeated throughout the cruise. My favorites were the chocolate mousse and the tiramisu. There was also a fruit cup and maybe something like berries and yogurt.

Check it out and go by more than one day as the offerings can change.

Sorrento's is closer to Chicago style in that you don't have fold it and eat it like a grilled cheese sandwich as the NY style requires.

Just for the record, you don't fold NY pizza in half to eat it. Bend the end crust in a 45 degree angle and the pizza slice now looks like the letter "V". Start by eating the pointed end. :D