Upgrade Fairy finally called but not sure I want it...

Scrapchick

I don't think I've ever been upgraded before! We're booked in a forward balcony cabin on Baja deck on the Caribbean Princess for a Canada/New England cruise in October.

Just got word we've been upgraded to a Riviera deck cabin at the back of the ship, apparently a 2 cat upgrade. However, it looks like we're now directly below the buffet and Lido deck and I'm not sure it won't be noisy because of that. Our original cabin is nicely sandwiched between two decks of cabins.

I need to accept the upgrade or not tomorrow, so would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has stayed on Riviera deck in the vicinity of cabin 615... I hate to be ungrateful but wonder if this is an upgrade I am better declining...

Thanks for any advice.

I agree. Just because it is considered an upgrade doens't mean it is to you. Last yr. we booked the most inexpensive balcony on the Ex. of the Seas which was a corner aft balcony. I marked it no upgrade, because looking at all the 'upgrades', aside from a true cabin type upgrade, I really wanted to be there. It was our fist balcony and really neat! (except when the NCL Star broke loose from their moorings and hit into our ship!)

We were directly below the lido pool area on the Emerald and Ruby. We heard a little noise in the morning when they were repositioning the lounge chairs. We really weren't bothered by this noise nor were we bothered by any other noises throughout the day.....:):):)

Bob

It is a matter of choice so it matters little what we think. For us we like the stearn cabins and have been on Riveria Deck without any problems. The cabin location is very favorable but then you have to decide. I would accept the upgrade and enjoy! :)

I had no noise issues in an aft Riviera deck cabin. It was a great location with easy access to the outside deck and the Terrace pool via a door door at the end of the passageway. I would take the upgrade.

I would also welcome that upgrade. First, you'll likely be under a carpeted area of the Horizon Court buffet. Second, that's one of the best locations on the ship...you might not ever want to book anywhere else after enjoying it. Whether we book an inside or a balcony, that's exactly where we choose.

There are instances where the advice to have a passenger deck above and below can still result in a noisy cabin (at the front of the ship where scenery from the Princess Theater is stored up to Caribe Deck level, and on, or above or below Baja Deck, where the room service galley is). There are many worse locations than the upgrade you were offered.

I don't think I've ever been upgraded before! We're booked in a forward balcony cabin on Baja deck on the Caribbean Princess for a Canada/New England cruise in October.

Just got word we've been upgraded to a Riviera deck cabin at the back of the ship, apparently a 2 cat upgrade. However, it looks like we're now directly below the buffet and Lido deck and I'm not sure it won't be noisy because of that. Our original cabin is nicely sandwiched between two decks of cabins.

I need to accept the upgrade or not tomorrow, so would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has stayed on Riviera deck in the vicinity of cabin 615... I hate to be ungrateful but wonder if this is an upgrade I am better declining...

Thanks for any advice.

Are you aware that you can change to any available cabin in your new cabin category? Perhaps there is something NOT directly under the buffet or pool.

Go on the Princess website and pretend you are making a new booking in the new category they've assigned you.

Are you aware that you can change to any available cabin in your new cabin category? Perhaps there is something NOT directly under the buffet or pool.

Go on the Princess website and pretend you are making a new booking in the new category they've assigned you.

Exactly. And since they gave you a two category upgrade, perhaps there is a cabin one category higher on a different deck more to your liking. You can see what is available and call them to say: "I appreciate the upgrade, but can you put me in cabin XXX instead?"

In December we had a balcony cabin on the Riviera deck, underneath the carpeted area of the Horizon Court, and heard no noise whatsoever. We particularly enjoyed the convenience of being able to run up to the buffet and grab food and beverage to take back down to our balcony. The other advantage is that on this deck, no one could look down from above into our balcony; on other decks, the balconies are exposed from above.

We were in balcony cabin R621 on the Ruby. This was below the buffet and we had no issues with noise from above. The location was ideal as it was a short walk to the aft pool and just one floor away from most of the action. I would gladly stay in that part of the ship again.

I love the Baja deck. You probably will be spending more time indoors on a Canada/New England itinerary in Oct than at the pool on the lido deck. The Baja deck is one of my favorites and it's in the middle so you don't have a long distance to the upper levels or lower levels of the ship. With that said a balcony aft would probably be less windy than a balcony forward depending on how far forward your room is.

We had cabins in that area (on the opposite side). I would avoid R619 and R618 because they are directly under a tiled area. We heard carts being rolled across the tile ALL NIGHT LONG. It was horrible.

It was very quiet in the cabins on either side of R618 because they are under a carpeted area.

R615 is under a carpeted area so it should be fine. We really liked being in that area because it was just one flight of stairs to the Buffet and close to the back elevators.

Thanks so much for the feedback and opinions... Yinged and yanged all over the place with all the conflicting advice, but finally decided to take a chance and accept the upgrade. It's a heavy port itinerary and only a 7 day cruise, so there won't be a lot of time in the cabin to be bothered by noise. Besides, I'm traveling with my mother on this trip and it might actually help to get her up in the morning if we hear breakfast noise upstairs ;)

I appreciate all the comments. I could have been happy in the Baja cabin just as much, but decided to take the chance and see how it pans out. It's on me if it doesn't work out!

We were upgraded from the cheapest - all the way forward - Dolphin balcony to Aloha 408 on Star last year. If you check the deck plans for Star you'll see we were directly under a busy area of the Lido deck. We experienced a little bit of noise in the morning when tables were moved but it really was "a little bit" of noise and didn't bother us at all. I'd take the same upgrade again in a heartbeat.

Your mileage may vary. Some people really hate any noise from above and, I'm sure, sometimes staff can vary greatly in the amount of noise they create. I've read a lot of posts from people who say they would never take a cabin that wasn't sandwiched between two other decks of all cabins. I've also read a lot of posts from people who had really great cruises and were in staterooms that some other people would never consider in a zillion years.

I think the cruise will be what you make of it. Just be soooooooooooooo very glad that you are going on a cruise!

Archived