Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Just wondering-----

Why can DW bring wine onboard and I cant bring an equal amount of beer?

It isn't obvious to the casual observer, but all alcoholic beverages are not created equal!

I have a solution, buy your beer in brown bottles and simply put a new label on to reflect it's higher and more esteemed status.

Here's an idea for your own custom label:

Chateau de Anheuser-Busch

Bud Lite Poids

Appellation de St. Louis

Biere de Qualite Superieure

Mis en une grande casserole par

Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis, USA

12 fl oz

:D:D:D

OK, I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but to have a little fun. I like to drink beer too.

Regards

John

If HAL pays that much attention to CC boards they would also know that a very small fraction of their passengers actually post here. ;)

A very small fraction may POST, but what fraction READ? And that's where the impact comes. Readers can benefit from the information without posting.

If HAL reads the message board, they know information on how to get the most from the policy is out there for passengers to read. It only takes one person to post the information for others to benefit.

snip.......However, there is a way around. Those on B2B on the last day the shop lets you take what you buy. And they deliver what they took back to you so on the next one and one after you will have whatever you want. We do several at a time, so I put that in.

Sounds good but our next cruise is deemed a Collectors Cruise: 7 days Barcelona to Barcelona and then 14 Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale. My TA says she doesn't think that will work on a Collectors.

A very small fraction may POST, but what fraction READ? And that's where the impact comes. Readers can benefit from the information without posting.

If HAL reads the message board, they know information on how to get the most from the policy is out there for passengers to read. It only takes one person to post the information for others to benefit.

That's a very good point - CC is now at over 1,000,000 members. I'm not sure what percentage sail HAL (or are considering) but I'm sure it's not inconsequential. I've seen people post on this thread who rarely post (good for them). I think that speaks volumes for how people feel about this.

Take a look at the views on this thread - it's not just the number of posts - it's how many people are reading it.

People talk - especially when news is bad. Thanks to Lisa and cc for getting the word out - otherwise there would have been more of us caught, embarrassed and probably angry as we boarded:rolleyes:

Since HAL wasn't going to tell us, I sure am glad I found this forum a few years ago:D

I believe that if you have not been informed of the change by HAL, we should continue as normal, enjoy our trips and take what we have before. It's not quite a revolution, but I do feel that people should stand up for what they feel is fair and not just roll over.

I'm just curious how the group that organizes the theme cruises booking a complete HAL ships will take this change. There are quite a few coming up (and I'm booked on one) and I would think the company would be quite upset by this change. Perhaps there won't be a change as I'm sure they have signed contracts with HAL. I can only hope. Yet to be notified by HAL or the charter group yet.

In fairness to HAL, they do offer their own passenger forum as an alternative to Cruise Critic, over which they have no control.

Does anyone know if they made this announcement on the official HAL passenger forum - I think it is a facebook page?

In fairness to HAL, they do offer their own passenger forum as an alternative to Cruise Critic, over which they have no control.

Does anyone know if they made this announcement on the official HAL passenger forum - I think it is a facebook page?

If you are talking about the FB page - there is no announcement = lots of comments from cruisers and no replies from HAL although they have answered everyone else who has posted.

I'm unaware of anything else?

Randy, I haven't heard anyone mention "pruno" in decades. That stuff takes like horse p--s. And, no, I wasn't an inmate when I tasted it. But the local moonshine was pretty good.

My only exposure was when I did my shrink intern rotation at a state prison. The inmates graciously....at least by their standards.....shared a sip with me. The best thing I can say is that it's an acquired taste.......in the absence of just about anything else. :eek::D A quick survey of my memory of the Lido Cafe the ingredients are all available.

I've gotten another email address as well:

Officeofthepresident@HollandAmerica.com

Not sure if any will get read when a thousand come in.

I don't really think it matters if they are read or not - I think volume in this case is the one thing that 'may' make HAL take notice ..... and as others have said .... 'may not'! :rolleyes:

But ... I have sent one :D

Hi,

We are both 4 star and want to put my two cents in. As 4 star we get 50% off the wine packages. 7 bottles for $130 incl the 15%. So you can't beat that. However as we are usually have some special days on the ship we have brought several bottles of fine Australian Champagne on board. no we will be limited to 2 and that sucks. There will be a lot of unhappy grand cruisers and WCers very very unhappy and they pay the freight. Friends of ours that are long time HAL WCers took a seabourne cruise and are not ooking back. $ for $ it was the same and oh so much better, so they say.

As far as the selection getting better or the prices going down, dream on. In what world does a business do away with it's competition and lower prices or give better service. If anything the prices will go up. My wife likes the wine she orders so we have no problem. And to be honest $20 is a lot when added to the price of the wine.

There are many shore ex that go to winery's. What happens to that?

However, there is a way around. Those on B2B on the last day the shop lets you take what you buy. And they deliver what they took back to you so on the next one and one after you will have whatever you want. We do several at a time, so I put that in.

Shhh... you know that eventually "they" will be reading all of this.;)

To each his own, but I am not comfortable pushing to see what I can get away with. I'm not that good of an actress. We thought of trying to get away with an extra two bottles of wine on Celebrity last year (out of Ft. Lauderdale). I had gone through the security check point, with no bottles of wine and DH had the two bottles that were allowed. DH told the security officer that he had wine in his carry-on . The security guard then asked the person behind DH if they were with DH. They were not, so no problem. Had we both been carrying 2 bottles, no doubt we would have gotten caught. Call me a wimp, but had we done something wrong and got caught, I would have been terribly embarrassed. Some people can blow something like that off, it would have ruined my cruise.
I was not recommending that anyone try to get away with anything, just giving examples of the reality of enforcement on a line with a similar policy.

Now, with the promotions we get, we would rarely bother with even one bottle.

I believe that the grey area of in the middle between one bottle and cases of wine is acceptable to the cruise line, especially when they happily charge us corkage on multiple bottles at the same meal!:D

I think the whole restriction thing is to recover more revenue from the "case" types. A system that charged corkage on each bottle as we boarded would seem fair to me, and when I feel like bringing my own wine, I'd happily pay it.

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

On a lighter note I have the recipe for pruno, also known as prison wine, if you all get really disperate. :rolleyes::D Just trying to lighten the mood. :)

Apparently Robotussin cough syrup, Arizona Watermelon Drink and Skittles makes a mean brew too. :eek:

I got this in email today after posting my displeasure on the HAL Facebook page .....

Holland America Line wrote: "Thank you for sharing opinions, experiences and suggestions with us with regard to our new Alcoholic Beverage Policy. To help clarify, this policy will be effective as of all sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014. We’re sorry for any confusion this has caused. We invite you to share your feedback with us on this and any other topic of interest by emailing our Guest Relations team at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. We hope that our valued Mariners continue to enjoy the many aspects of their cruise experience with us and thank you for sailing with Holland America Line."

different cruise info website. I'm not sure what inside info. this person has, maybe he monitors this board also & could elaborate. It would be helpful if someone from HAL HQ could clarify.

I just checked with my old colleagues at HAL.

The new company wine policy will be introduced in a few months, sometime before the end of the year.

The HAL website was updated over the past weekend to give the public a chance to read it before their final payment is due.

Holland America Line Thank you to all for sharing opinions, experiences and suggestions with us with regard to our new Alcoholic Beverage Policy. To help clarify, this policy will be effective as of all sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014. We’re sorry for any confusion this has caused. We invite you to share your feedback with us on this and any other topic of interest by emailing our Guest Relations team at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. We hope that our valued Mariners continue to enjoy the many aspects of their cruise experience with us and thank you for sailing with Holland America Line.

Well lookie here! Our outcry is being heard!:)

*** oops I see someone already posted the message they got back.

Edited by Lauranne

I got this in email today after posting my displeasure on the HAL Facebook page .....

Holland America Line wrote: "Thank you for sharing opinions, experiences and suggestions with us with regard to our new Alcoholic Beverage Policy. To help clarify, this policy will be effective as of all sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014. We’re sorry for any confusion this has caused. We invite you to share your feedback with us on this and any other topic of interest by emailing our Guest Relations team at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. We hope that our valued Mariners continue to enjoy the many aspects of their cruise experience with us and thank you for sailing with Holland America Line."

This warrants its own thread. Though I sincerely doubt that everyone will get the same or a similar reply, seeing as someone just posted a different reply on a separate thread.

.... and this doesn't indicate that they are rethinking (YET) the "no more than one bottle per pax" limit.

Thanks for posting it!

Holland America Line Thank you to all for sharing opinions, experiences and suggestions with us with regard to our new Alcoholic Beverage Policy. To help clarify, this policy will be effective as of all sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014. We’re sorry for any confusion this has caused. We invite you to share your feedback with us on this and any other topic of interest by emailing our Guest Relations team at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. We hope that our valued Mariners continue to enjoy the many aspects of their cruise experience with us and thank you for sailing with Holland America Line.

Well lookie here! Our outcry is being heard!:)

Doesn't explain why one poster (I am SO not looking for the post :D) saw the signs at the gangway already. And it still doesn't address letting us bring on more than one bottle and paying corkage.....

Thanks for posting !

The Alcohol policy on the HAL website was updated today to include the clarification that the policy takes effect in January 2014. http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Policies&contentSubMenu=Can+I+Bring+Alcoholic+Beverages+Onboard?

Edited by Alaskafitzway

Then why did Kirk post that it was in effect when he was in Monaco (he just got off). There is another thread saying that it was in effect immediately.

Why doesn't there 'know before you go' say it starts in January???

Sounds like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Sure would be nice if HAL came on the boards and made a clear statement.

Many other cruise lines do this.

Thanks for posting your reply but it raises more questions to me - if you are sailing before January, then take this email with you.

edited to say - sorry I did not see the post that the policy has been amended to now start in January. Looks like the other person got an incorrect email -or they have changed their minds a bit.

Edited by kazu