Elite: Starting to feel less appreciated by Celebrity

djjoe

Just so I understand, currently my DH and I have 85 actual days sailed. However, we are "supposed" to get extra points for suites, cc and aqua class which are the categories we typically sail in. Would our "days" be increased to reflect our sailing category?

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

What an excellent point! -

INMHO I think Suite guests will automatically gain Elite status benefits in addition to those already received, but days will remain days. With regard to CC and AQ, feel days will be actual days, as the benefits line has to be drawn somewhere.;)

What an excellent point! -

INMHO I think Suite guests will automatically gain Elite status benefits in addition to those already received, but days will remain days. With regard to CC and AQ, feel days will be actual days, as the benefits line has to be drawn somewhere.;)

On RCCL, suite receives double the days. :)

Wow - You sound slighted by this;)

Not in the least. I could not understand your need to SHOUTin contradicting my post :confused:

As yet, i'm neither deaf nor blind when it comes to reading/hearing an opposing opinion.;)

Not in the least. I could not understand your need to SHOUTin contradicting my post :confused:

As yet, i'm neither deaf nor blind when it comes to reading/hearing an opposing opinion.;)

Sorry - I did not know that bold was shouting - Please accept my sincere apology

So nothing additional for CC or Aqua? Those categories do not exist on RC, yet you get extra point value from Celebrity. That is a conundrum.

Thanks

It is my personal opinion only.

But sorry - The line must be drawn somewhere, although it appears to be somewhat brutal, if I was Celebrity, the view would have to be that there must be a substantial and swift reduction in current numbers of Elites.

A cull would be a better word.;)

So nothing additional for CC or Aqua? Those categories do not exist on RC, yet you get extra point value from Celebrity. That is a conundrum.

Thanks

They are counted now just as longer cruises get double points.

I doubt that the levels will change much

ie 10 seven day cruises will get one to elite or 5 seven day cruises in CC, AQ or suites.

There is very little reason to pay for CC and AQ cabins (poor location) on some ships and that is Celebrity's reward for paying more.. the spending factor affecting "loyalty"

For some reason Royal Caribbean added 10 days when cruise points were converted to cruise days.. what I call the fudge factor to balance those who concentrated on short cruises.

I can visualize some perks being cut back for the elite level but Idoubt that the threshold will change much.

No cruises will get you the Preview level in exchange for your personal information, 80 days of cruising (or 40 in upgraded staterooms), 175 days will get you to Elite + (or 88 days for etc).. 700 days to Apex or Elite++.

With Michael Bayley coming from RCL corporate culture and with the hopes of reciprocity, I can't see Celebrity straying far from the fold.

If Celebrity is having a great year as reported elsewhere, why would they wish to upset so many repeat cruisers?

But sorry - The line must be drawn somewhere, although it appears to be somewhat brutal, if I was Celebrity, the view would have to be that there must be a substantial and swift reduction in current numbers of Elites.

Frankly, we take CC or AQ just for the extra points. I do not think that it would be a good business decision by celebrity, as others may do the same thing. Do not really need the perks they gave and we are no longer wild about Blu. I only paid the additional for the points, figuring that Celebrity might change the Elite calculation in the future. They really need to think this decision through- and or grandfather people who are currently Elite in.

Frankly, we take CC or AQ just for the extra points. I do not think that it would be a good business decision by celebrity, as others may do the same thing. Do not really need the perks they gave and we are no longer wild about Blu. I only paid the additional for the points, figuring that Celebrity might change the Elite calculation in the future. They really need to think this decision through- and or grandfather people who are currently Elite in.

I also do the CC, mainly for the location, but enjoy the extra point. I'm one cruise away from Elite (April 2014), but if I'm still Select after my next cruise, I probably would forgo the good location of CC cabins and go for a standard balcony and probably cruise less on Celebrity unless it is a cruise I really, really want to go on. In addition, I pay 200%, because I cruise solo, thus if they want to reward me, then they should be giving me double points, since I pay the same as a couple.

Lots of fine comments about the inevitability of a "cull" to existing Elites. The problem is things don't like being culled. ;)

No they don't. Not at all. There will be serious anger and some will actually cancel or cut back X cruises as a result.

The trick for Celebrity is

A)keeping the bulk of the Elites benefits,so it seems that not much is being lost,

B) add a new loyalty level with new benefits that don't really cost much and

C) give some leeway and incentives to reach this new loyalty level.

If they do these 3, they will minimize but NOT eliminate the anger sure to follow the downgrading of the current plan.

There is no way to change the plan without some anger from their current loyal customers, anger which is fully reasonable.

WOW! Such whining. We are Elite with X, Elite with Princess, 4 Star Mariners with HA, etc etc and can assure fellow X fans that X has the best overall amenity package for their Elites as compared to comparable stuff on other lines. As to the OPs criticism of the port of Bayonne, we agree that the entire facility is the pitts and processing leaves much to be desired. But lets give RCI some credit as they recently got approval for some big loans to improve the facility. As to giving suite folks extra perks, that makes absolute sense since those folks are paying a lot of extra money for their cabin (and perks). It is similar on many cruise lines and X must be careful to stay competitive.

Hank

Lots of fine comments about the inevitability of a "cull" to existing Elites. The problem is things don't like being culled. ;)

No they don't. Not at all. There will be serious anger and some will actually cancel or cut back X cruises as a result.

The trick for Celebrity is

A)keeping the bulk of the Elites benefits,so it seems that not much is being lost,

B) add a new loyalty level with new benefits that don't really cost much and

C) give some leeway and incentives to reach this new loyalty level.

If they do these 3, they will minimize but NOT eliminate the anger sure to follow the downgrading of the current plan.

There is no way to change the plan without some anger from their current loyal customers, anger which is fully reasonable.

I suspect this is much closer to what will actaully come to pass than what PORT ROYAL is recommending. My only quibble is I think, if done right, they can elimininate all but the most irrational anger of the current "elite" in remaking the plan. Grandfather, move to drink vouchers, and keep all other benefits intact.

EDIT: the "quote" feature is currently malfunctioning. I was trying to quote Richstowe but it came up as "Port Royal." I manually corected it but yes, ~CruiseNut~, that must be what happened with you.

This so-called breeding program has some truth to it, but only if you are talking about the limited number of cruisers who live down in Florida where those short cruises originate. The vast majority of us Yankees cannot afford the airfare to be flying down regularly to book short cruises just to get to Elite. That truly, then, is but a small component of the large Elite numbers. There are three primary reasons the numbers are so large- first and foremost is the RCI Diamond or higher members being added as Elite when they cruise, second is the simple fact that Celebrity has now been sailing for many, many years so of course the numbers have risen, and last is the fact that CC and higher get two cruise points instead of one. It all adds up to crowds and a special level where no one is special because half the ship is special.

I agree with your three reasons but disagree with your first and foremost. The 2 points for CC cabins makes it too easy to attain Elite. You can do it in as little as 4 cruises.

Also, RC only gives double days for Junior Suites and above. A JS is similar to a S cabin on Celebrity. That makes it more difficult to become a Diamond.

WOW! Such whining.

Hank

Why does expressing one's own opinion have to be referred to as whining?

Without the ability to post what we wish about what our personal experience and attitude towards changes that we perceive our fingers would get inadequate daily exercise. My fingers don't whine.. ;)

(They do express non verbal messages at times)

Sorry - I did not know that bold was shouting - Please accept my sincere apology

I thought shouting is indicated by using all caps? Not bold letters.:confused:

I agree with your three reasons but disagree with your first and foremost. The 2 points for CC cabins makes it too easy to attain Elite. You can do it in as little as 4 cruises.

Also, RC only gives double days for Junior Suites and above. A JS is similar to a S cabin on Celebrity. That makes it more difficult to become a Diamond.

This may become more flexible if days are counted.

For example a 7 day cruise yields 7 "points" for base cabins and an additional point for every increase in $$$ spent on the cabin.

A person in a PH spends way more on accommodations than a person who travels in a "mere" sky suite. Additional points can be awarded for each type of cabin upgrade.

HAL, I believe, adds an extra point for every $300 in onboard spending.

(Pure star gazing)

Wow we are at 174 days. I'd better take a cruise - quick. Oh that's right we are sailing Summit in 9 days and will add another 14 days to our sailing history. So hopefully we will make the cut if they ever add another level.

If Celebrity uses the same method to convert points to days, multiply your points by 7 and then add 13. Going forward from the conversion date actual days are counted.

If Celebrity uses the same method to convert points to days, multiply your points by 7 and then add 13. Going forward from the conversion date actual days are counted.

7 x 27 = 189 + 13 = 202. After September 7th cruise we will have 29 points, so that would be 7 x 29 = 203 + 13 = 226.

Seems that would put us way ahead of where we actually are!!

Archived