Elite: Starting to feel less appreciated by Celebrity

djjoe

Hmmm. I certainly pray for more cruises.;)

But then again, when I see tank tops on formal night, I bet I've thought "there oughtta be a law...":D

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Love it!

Hmmm. I certainly pray for more cruises.;)

But then again, when I see tank tops on formal night, I bet I've thought "there oughtta be a law...":D

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Yes, totally agree.:rolleyes:

We are looking to get 25 credits before 2014 rolls around .so if X adds another tier then perhaps we would qualify:D

Do you know something that I don't?

Is 25 credits the new magic threshold for the Uba-ultra-super-elite-maxim-diamond-plus tier?:confused:

Royal's been doing that for some time now so I'm not at all surprised to hear that it's trickled up to the sister line.

Funny we are Elite members and just returned from another great celebrity cruise. We stayed in a suite and received a "special printed invitation" for suite guests advising us that we had a roped off section of reserved theatre seats. I believe the second formal night, when we arrived we asked Steve the social director where the section was and he said just sit where you like we aren't doing that tonight! Why give an invitation then? We really didn't care and never have a problem finding a good seat in the Summit theatre. But don't send silly meaningless invitations. LOL:confused:

I have always thought that the title 'cruise Critic' was a bit harsh and thought that 'Cruise Converstaions' was more appropriate. Most people do post positive information or have a meaningful discussion on a partiuicular topic, sometimes it degenerates from Constructive criticism to just criticism of the poster or cruise line without validation. No matter what it is called, this will always happen, as people have opinions and text does not convey all the nuances of the message that verbal conversation can.

Anyway, a bit of healthy debate is good for clarification of your own thoughts.:D

Haha I like that, Cruise Conversations, very neutral. Allows for cheer, critique, and everything in between.

This thread has gotten hilariously off topic but I'm enjoying it.

It's been very "interesting" reading this thread.

Soapbox to commence:

When we cruise, we are always glad to be back on a ship. We get to experience new places, new staff and guests, new friends and old friends. We enjoy meals that are in a lovely venue; service that is excellent, and get the chance to really relax and enjoy each other's company and that of other friends and cruisers. I have never understood the grumpy mentality that some people bring with them, nor the sense of "entitlement" that often follows many people. We have had more than 20 cruises on Celebrity, and while that's not a huge number, it says that we really enjoy cruising on Celebrity. We enjoy the perks that we are given; the smiles and welcoming attitude and service of the crew and staff; we enjoy the privilege of being able to go on a cruise and have a good time. We aren't cruising as often these days, so when we do go, it's always a delight to be back on a ship. I wish more people would simply go and have a good time, smile and relax, and not worry so much about what they are or are not getting. Have fun, everyone. Life is really too short to moan and groan so much about little things. Be glad you're healthy enough to go on a cruise, that you have the money to do so and that you get to see and do all that you are doing. I know I am really looking forward to our next cruise, and I hope that you all are, as well.

End of soapbox.

Susie, thank you. Life is too short and sadly way too short for many as we unfortunately know. We love to cruise, never complain (well there was the Carnival mistake:eek:) and always have a great time. I enjoyed your soapbox.

And what if you don't like the "roped off" section anyway? Some people like to be up front...some in the balcony...
Nobody is forced to sit in the "roped off" section.

You may sit wherever you like.

It is just another of the features they provide to try to make people feel they are receiving special treatment, like eligibility for a priority boarding line, which may or may not be something you choose to use.

These are the types of perks that are very easy to provide and cost the cruise line nothing.

I have always thought that the title 'cruise Critic' was a bit harsh........
As for the term Cruise Critic, I think it is very appropriate, like movie critic or theater critic.

It implies that this will not just be a source of cut-and-dried statistical information but people will subjectively tell you what they personally liked and/or disliked about whatever it is that they are reviewing.

It does not mean that you are necessarily expected to agree with the person who is expressing his/her opinion, and that is fine.

The banter back and forth and different points of view all contribute to the entertainment value of these forums, and I think many of us enjoy and appreciate that aspect as well as the factual information provided here.

These are the types of perks that are very easy to provide and cost the cruise line nothing.

I agree

As for the term Cruise Critic, I think it is very appropriate, like movie critic or theater critic. It implies that this will not just be a source of cut-and-dried statistical information but people will subjectively tell you what they personally liked and/or disliked about whatever it is that they are reviewing.

It does not mean that you are necessarily expected to agree with the person who is expressing his/her opinion, and that is fine.

The banter back and forth and different points of view all contribute to the entertainment value of these forums, and I think many of us enjoy and appreciate that aspect as well as the factual information provided here.

Yes, I agree, that the name is probably right.

IMHO, it is just my preference is to be more of the facts and conversation and less of the opinion (unless it is stated up front that it is only an opinion). :D

If we accept that there are too many Elites on many sailings to really recognise the important (to the bottom line) cruisers....

Add a new level on each sailing, perhaps call it VIP.

Enrol the top 100 or so VIP guests on each sailing into the group.

Hold special events in Michaels Club to focus on that group alone.

Give out 3 x Elite Captains Club drink vouchers to use in a number of locations around the ship to the non-qualifying Elites.

Have a party on sea days as present for Elites.

How do you choose the VIPs?

Full Suite guests and others with the most stateroom nights with a bias for stateroom category + onboard spend over the preceding 3-5 years.

Add in the 'top cruisers' by accumulated nights sailed for this sailing.

3 nights in an inside room with no onboard spend every 4 months means you are loyal, but will not make VIP.

Hold on....this isn't a monitor - it appears to be a crystal ball looking at Celebrity in 2014/15.

Many Elites will have to get used to feeling less special.

...Add a new level on each sailing, perhaps call it VIP.

Enrol the top 100 or so VIP guests on each sailing into the group.

Hold special events in Michaels Club to focus on that group alone....

I think this would defeat the whole purpose and lead to a lot of people who felt bad that they were not part of the VIP group.

The entire purpose of a loyalty program is to encourage or reward repeat customers by giving them benefits they can EXPECT to receive when buying the company's goods or services in the future. What you're suggesting is merely an entry into some sort of a lottery where most people wouldn't have a clue of they would be a VIP or not until after the cruise started and they learned if they were in the top 100. While a handful of the cruise line's most frequent customers might be certain they'd be VIP's most of the company's other hundreds of thousands of loyalty program member's would not.

This post is another one that causes concern.:eek: This will be our first Celebrity cruise. We are new to cruising and last year we were on Azamara. We were treated wonderfully. I just keep reading negative comments about how X treats their pax.

Then there was the whole Millenium fiasco. What a mess and it seems there was little support from the CEO and the Captain. How sad! :mad: :rolleyes:

I'm trying to stay positive and I hope I walk away feeling they did their best for ALL pax.

I agree with Phil. We have cruised 7 diff lines over the years, 1st X in 1993, and they are our first choice when looking for a cruise. We have yet to try Azamara, but friends have said it is like the X of olden days. Go, enjoy!

I think this would defeat the whole purpose and lead to a lot of people who felt bad that they were not part of the VIP group.

I disagree. Currently there are many Classic and Select members who are not part of the Elite group. Do they feel bad about it? I never did or sensed that others were feeling bad.

The entire purpose of a loyalty program is to encourage or reward repeat customers by giving them benefits they can EXPECT to receive when buying the company's goods or services in the future. What you're suggesting is merely an entry into some sort of a lottery where most people wouldn't have a clue of they would be a VIP or not until after the cruise started and they learned if they were in the top 100. While a handful of the cruise line's most frequent customers might be certain they'd be VIP's most of the company's other hundreds of thousands of loyalty program member's would not.

Passngers view Captains Club as a reward for loyalty.

A cruise line uses it collect information on repeat passengers and retain passengers at the least additional cost.

It also helps to better understand your business.

Elites would still receive the defined Elite benefits so know what to expect.

Suite passengers get VIP treatment they pay for and will know in advance.

The really valuable passengers would be VIPs, but if they don't qualify every time all they know is that they are on the edge of the VIP group.

A few guests would be surprise VIPs but that already happens with the 'top cruisers'.

I believe this is part of the reality of larger ships and more rooms to fill.

I guess that on every cruise there are 2000+ people who are not Elite or VIPs. They still for the most part have a great time and receive excellent service.

As been said before by many different people: Loyalty programs are marketing tools. You try to boost total sales by giving people an incentive to move to the next level. That means that the spread between levels can't be too high, yet high enough to get people feel special and rewarded when they move to a higher level. The ultimate goal of any program is to get people to spend more money than they normally would spend by making them feel that they just must get to the next level to enhance their total experience.

As been said before by many different people: Loyalty programs are marketing tools. You try to boost total sales by giving people an incentive to move to the next level. That means that the spread between levels can't be too high, yet high enough to get people feel special and rewarded when they move to a higher level. The ultimate goal of any program is to get people to spend more money than they normally would spend by making them feel that they just must get to the next level to enhance their total experience.

Orator,

You neatly explain the rational behind loyalty programs but this thread is (just another) that illustrates the downside of these programs.

There is a natural sense of entitlement that "members" feel about their programs and how angry and resentful they get

when there are changes or even the perception of changes to "their" program.

This is not specifically about Celebrity. RC and Carnival went through it. The comments on the Carnival CC board were off the chart crazy.

I know that when you get to a point where the "Elite" status has been reached by a third + on a given cruise, it is no longer elite.

The Elite numbers are growing and growing fast. It is similar to multiple births of centenarians.

Once reaching a 100 years of age or having triplets was a big deal. You got in the paper. Not any more. Too many people attained these feats.

Same with Elite status. By virtue of the numbers, you are no longer so special.

I'm betting a new status will be created and Elite status will be downgraded as it must be. Sorry Elites but there are too many of you.

Orator,

You neatly explain the rational behind loyalty programs but this thread is (just another) that illustrates the downside of these programs.

There is a natural sense of entitlement that "members" feel about their programs and how angry and resentful they get

This is not specifically about Celebrity. RC and Carnival went through it. The comments on the Carnival CC board were off the chart crazy.

I know that when you get to a point where the "Elite" status has been reached by a third + on a given cruise, it is no longer elite.

The Elite numbers are growing and growing fast. It is similar to multiple births of centenarians.

Once reaching a 100 years of age or having triplets was a big deal. You got in the paper. Not any more. Too many people attained these feats.

I'm betting a new status will be created and Elite status will be downgraded as it must be. Sorry Elites but there are too many of you.

I agree with your comments. One of the keys to the success of a loyalty program as a marketing tool is to give people the feeling that they are "more special" as they move up the levels.

Many people become addicted to acquiring points, or days, or whatever the basis might be for the recognition. Many charities, civic organization, military organizations and businesses use the same type of appeal to motivate behavior. Naturally some who desire to be recognized will flaunt their status. This is just a factor of human nature that provides a basis for loyalty programs. I'm not saying that ALL participants do it for recognition, the majority might not; however, a significant number does.

Orator,

Your point is well made -

I have empathy for those Elites having zero days (D's with RCL) and Elites of 100 cruises, with the zero Elites having a personal concern for a perceived loss of any potential benefits, mostly drinks, or the Elite with 100 Cruises having a wish to have their wonderful loyalty rewarded. Celebrity must reward those who have given the greater support (cruise days) to the Celebrity brand.

Many on CC have wondered as to where the axe will fall, albeit 10, 25, 30 or 40 cruises. However you may wish to look at it, a single cruise can be any number of days. For my part, having 39 cruises each with 12/17 sea days, feel a fair solution would be to bring the axe down on say 140 days for Elite and 275 days for a potential Elite Plus.

Hardly visit the Elite Lounge as it is too early, but we choose to cruise with Celebrity for the excellent cruise experience the brand delivers.

A fire extinguisher is to hand for any flaming;)

Many on CC have wondered as to where the axe will fall, albeit 10, 25, 30 or 40 cruises. However you may wish to look at it, a single cruise can be any number of days. For my part, having 39 cruises each with 12/17 sea days, feel a fair solution would be to bring the axe down on say 140 days for Elite and 275 days for a potential Elite Plus.

I'm not Elite - but I hope to be some day - although if they change the program before I get there - it may be WAY off in the future. One question though - why do you think it fair to make the Elite at 140 days - a HUGE :eek: increase in what it takes today. For those of us on the way to Elite - to raise the bar that high when many are so close - would be a bummer. Currently I have only 4 credits or 16 days. With my next cruise in Feb. - I'll have 7 credits and 30 days, cruise after that will have 10 credits and 45 days. We would then be Elite. Under your proposed plan it would take us years to get to 140 days - hardly seems fair when all you had to do was get 10 credits. Just saying. I'd like to think they'll add tiers on the top end of the program and leave the other levels as is! :D

What ever status in cc I am, I am going to have a great time on the summit in Nov. of this year. I feel going in with all the expectations of free stuff or perks, and do not receive them will be dissapointing. So I will take the perks of the C2 cabin and have a wonderful time.

I'm not Elite - but I hope to be some day - although if they change the program before I get there - it may be WAY off in the future. With my next cruise in Feb. - I'll have 7 credits and 30 days, cruise after that will have 10 credits and 45 days. We would then be Elite. I'd like to think they'll add tiers on the top end of the program and leave the other levels as is! :D

I really think that Celebrity will use a variation of the RCI Crown & Anchor program.

I doubt that Celebrity's Computer capabilities are up to counting actual sailing days all the way back into the early 90's.

The chart posted earlier with minor fudge factors will probably be the model.

However: February might be after the changeover date suggested as the start of the new year (I refuse to enter a date, it may be 2020).

If you are presently 60% of the way there the goal posts may be adjusted a bit.

By the looks of your picture, you will have decades to enjoy elite benefits and beyond.

Archived