Elite: Starting to feel less appreciated by Celebrity

djjoe

There are some Celebrity Cruise addicts that would become elite every year, cruising for ten to twenty weeks a year...

For the last two years we have received free transportation for back to back cruises in adjacent ports: MIA to FLL or the reverse.

Until recently Celebrity offered a free hotel stay for frequent cruisers who cruised back to back but with a one day interruption between sailing schedules.

The hotel stay has been discontinued and we just learned that the shuttle is no longer available as well.

We were scheduled to sail on Reflection in Miami in February followed by Century in Port Everglades. Captain's Club just informed me that I would have to buy a transfer to the nearest airport and another transfer from the airport to the neighbouring port.

At a certain point great service expectations that are no longer available will lead to a reaction. I reacted... :cool:

The change in policy was confirmed to me. I have a one day break between the end of a Silhouette cruise and the start of a Century cruise. Fortunately, I can easily return home for the night. The other alternative is to not take the short Century cruise. I'm doing 11 days on her prior to Silhouette and really won't miss much other than seeing wonderful friends again.

There are some Celebrity Cruise addicts that would become elite every year, cruising for ten to twenty weeks a year...

For the last two years we have received free transportation for back to back cruises in adjacent ports: MIA to FLL or the reverse.

Until recently Celebrity offered a free hotel stay for frequent cruisers who cruised back to back but with a one day interruption between sailing schedules.

The hotel stay has been discontinued and we just learned that the shuttle is no longer available as well.

We were scheduled to sail on Reflection in Miami in February followed by Century in Port Everglades. Captain's Club just informed me that I would have to buy a transfer to the nearest airport and another transfer from the airport to the neighbouring port.

At a certain point great service expectations that are no longer available will lead to a reaction. I reacted... :cool:

What was your reaction? Are you buying their transfers or obtaining transportation on your own? Failing that, are you cancelling your sailings?

Hopefully one day Celebrity will realize their errors.

Boo hoo.

The OP is unhappy because there was a line for suite guests but he/she had to wait a bit. The freebies aren't quite as good as they used to be, presumably because there are now so many "special" people that you ain't so special anymore.

Understand this. The suite guests have paid a big wedge of money not only for cabin real estate but for lots of special treatment. Elite members get a proportion of these benefits as perks, to help them feel loved and cherished. That's the way it is, absolutely not the other way around as the OP seems to think.

It's the same business model as the loyalty scheme in your local supermarket - you think you are getting something no-one else is, but in reality it is just something cheap to provide, which you will appreciate and consequently feel loved and cherished. A plate of hors d'ouveres costs peanuts to knock up, a few free cocktails about the same.

Suite passengers will have paid 5 - 10 x what you did, maybe more. Don't get unhappy that they have a priveledge line. If you want the same get your wallet out.

Oh Arno, I'm so sorry to hear that! :(

Rather then having to fuss with getting from Miami to Port Everglades (on your own), why don't you just book the Feb 12th Century cruise, and help us get the party started early? ;)

Here here! Couldn't have put I better myself! I feel it's a bit of snobbery, I am elite on celebrity and in a suite, and you know what? Every time I go on a cruise I thank my lucky stars that I am fortunate enough to be able to go on one, I never just expect to get anything or think I'm better than anyone. I thoroughly enjoy the benefits being in a suite/diamond/elite grants me and never take them for granted or look down on those that don't have them. It's a holiday, enjoy yourself! :o

Here Here !!! Again. I couldn't have put it better either. My partner and I also thank our lucky stars that we are able to cruise as often as we do and get to enjoy the penthouse and Suites when we travel. We are very thankful for the internet minutes and free laundry we receive as Elite members, but never think we deserve more than anyone else. We usually travel with friends that in are smaller rooms and therefore do not accept the invitations to the Captain's Table as we want to eat with them. We clearly understand as others have said, that this is a business and that RCCL has shareholders to answer to. A cruise is a vacation, we book what we can afford and never expect to get more than we pay for. When we do, it is a pleasant surprise, not an expected benefit.

Do I read that your reaction to removing the complimentary transfer was you cancelled the two cruises?

If that is so, there must have been a lot of previous baggage to push you over the edge on such a minor thing as that, annoying though it is.

Of course UK cruisers could not make such a stand, we would lose far far more than the cost of the transfer in lost deposits ;)

Love your response...we also consider ourselves fortunate to be able to cruise as often as we do and enjoy the accommodation our income provides. We were upgraded to a RS once...it was superb...will probably never be in one again. X and elite have both provided enjoyable perks along with wonderful service...JMHO.

Thank you! I love the perks! I've been getting them for about 5 years now and have no complaints every time I get them! What's not to like about a few free drinks, some laundry, priority this and that? It just adds to an already fabulous holiday! :D

If you can afford to go on all those cruises, you can likely afford to pay for your hotel room and taxi like the rest of us. Sounds like a first world problem to me.

I'm a loyal customer, but I can only afford to cruise once a year. But, I pay for my own transportation and hotel. Why are you more loyal because you're wealthy enough to go on more cruises?

Tom

Cruisenut:

It is hard to believe that X would have the nerve to tell a very, very frequent cruiser that they are not willing to pay approximately $60 for a taxi to get one from Miami - FLL or vice versa. They should be paying for a private car service, around $90, to take you and if one night between ships get a hotel room which would cost them say $100 at their discounted rate!

Reducing Passages benefits, no buffet at the Captain's Club gathering and now this for very loyal customers. It looks like we are in for a rocky ride with further reductions in benefits, on board perks, etc.

For those of you who have not traveled extensively with X, please don't tell those of us who have to be happy with what they give us. We are happy with what we get, we are not happy with where they are headed in their dealings with loyal customers.

Amen and amen!

Tom

Love your response...we also consider ourselves fortunate to be able to cruise as often as we do and enjoy the accommodation our income provides. We were upgraded to a RS once...it was superb...will probably never be in one again. X and elite have both provided enjoyable perks along with wonderful service...JMHO.

Thank you! I love the perks! I've been getting them for about 5 years now and have no complaints every time I get them! What's not to like about a few free drinks, some laundry, priority this and that? It just adds to an already fabulous holiday! :D

We're "not yet" Elite, but first cruised with Celebrity in the early 90's on the Meridian and Horizon before the loyalty program started. We've cruised on quite a few lines in the past 20+ years and now are back with Celebrity and plan/hope to obtain Elite in the near future...actually mostly for the laundry coupons.:D We feel we have always been treated incredibly well by the crews on Celebrity, but I think part of this is the way that we treat the crew. My DH has even studied the home language of the majority of crew members for upcoming cruises...you should see the smiles when he says hello and a few simple phrases in their native tongue. We're friendly and always make a point to find out where our room steward is from and about their family...we're actually genuinely interested. Are we given preferential treatment...maybe so. We've never had a complaint about the care/service we've received...maybe we're just easy to please. But we've been on cruises where those around us seem to continually look for things to nitpik and complain about...and those fellow passengers we try to distance ourselves from. Do I care about the Captain's cocktail party and if I'm invited or not...not really. I hate to read that the level of service and treatment of guests is declining on Celebrity...we didn't notice this at all on the Solstice last December. And, I agree that the bottom line for the cruise industry is the dollar...money from your past cruising is already figured into their profits or losses. Many people expect more and more as they show their loyalty and want to pay less and less...it's a hard balance act for the industry. We're looking forward to our Adriatic cruise on the Silhouette and will be in a suite...again, we're not Elite! ~~Judy

The only benefit to being Elite that I actually use is the laundry coupon, wine discount and free Internet minutes.

It maybe adds up to $100 per cruise.

Some of the recent cruiss I've been on it seemed like a third of the ship was " Elite " making it not so Elite.

I booked a suite and recieved more perks than you can get by being Elite.

Hopefully the new Captains club levels will include new benefits.

What was your reaction? Are you buying their transfers or obtaining transportation on your own? Failing that, are you cancelling your sailings?

Hopefully one day Celebrity will realize their errors.

We were booked on Eclipse 14 night, Reflection 7 night, Century back to Back for 16 nights and Constellation 5 nights.

Reaction: we cancelled the Jan 25 Eclipse and Feb 8th Reflection.

Here here! Couldn't have put I better myself! I feel it's a bit of snobbery, I am elite on celebrity and in a suite, and you know what? Every time I go on a cruise I thank my lucky stars that I am fortunate enough to be able to go on one, I never just expect to get anything or think I'm better than anyone. I thoroughly enjoy the benefits being in a suite/diamond/elite grants me and never take them for granted or look down on those that don't have them. It's a holiday, enjoy yourself! :o

Totally agree with above & I have only been in a suite once but if we are healthy enough to cruise then that is good enough for us. We have 53 points & have enjoyed each & every cruise on Celebrity.

We were booked on Eclipse 14 night, Reflection 7 night, Century back to Back for 16 nights and Constellation 5 nights.

So, does that clear the way for you to join us on the February 12 three-nighter? Then you can start your cruise in peace on a Wednesday instead of the madness of Saturday. That was a big draw for me.

Was there any reaction from "X"?

And, did you rebook with another cruise line?

Have those of you who are put off by the special treatment of suite guests ever gone to Vegas? You would be suicidal! High rollers (those who gamble thousands and thousands) get special treatment EVERYWHERE - I'm not even privy to the fabulous suites they get (for free!) or the fact they are flown there (First Class - for free!), or they have limos wherever they want to go (for free!), but I DO see that they have...special lines at buffets and restaurants...special windows at the cashiers...front row seats at the shows...cabanas by the pools (for free!)...special check-in lines (wait, scratch that...lines? bwah ha ha ha...they are taken to a private room, given a glass of bubbly, and THAT's how they check in.

And why?

Because they spend beaucoup bucks. You can do it, too...just gamble THOUSANDS...or, stay in a suite on X or any other cruise line...

I mean, what business would NOT cater to their truly big spenders? To be angry or jealous or pouty about it is just silly. YOU can be in that position, too...but you choose not to/can't. Including me.

The only benefit to being Elite that I actually use is the laundry coupon, wine discount and free Internet minutes.

It maybe adds up to $100 per cruise.

Some of the recent cruiss I've been on it seemed like a third of the ship was " Elite " making it not so Elite.

I booked a suite and recieved more perks than you can get by being Elite.

Hopefully the new Captains club levels will include new benefits.

Yes, while I will not knock back any of the benefits, at the end of the day, they are not what gets me cruising. :D

I mean, what business would NOT cater to their truly big spenders? To be angry or jealous or pouty about it is just silly. YOU can be in that position, too...but you choose not to/can't. Including me.

By cruising frequently in balconies or concierge a person can spend way more than the occasional suite cruiser in any given year.

We spent four months cruising with Celebrity last year and there are at least a dozen couples who have a similar habit. When Celebrity recognizes one type of big spender and ignores others, there will be consequences when loyalty is not reciprocated.

Was there any reaction from "X"?

And, did you rebook with another cruise line?

I don't expect any reaction from Celebrity. If we are not in our cabin someone else will be.

We will look at alternatives for spending our refund... :D

But you DO get the benefits that were spelled out to you when you joined the Captain's Club - all the Elite benefits. You get what was bargained for. I can honestly say that I value shop for cruises, and my 10+ points do not even come near to what I'd have spent on a suite for half the amount of time.

I think people just need to stop worrying what OTHERS are getting and concentrate on having a good time with what you DO get. Honestly, I had just as much fun on my first 9 points of cruises, without the Elite perks...yes I like the added perks (laundry and internet save us money, but don't give us a more fun cruise) ... it has not changed my experience THAT much.

To say that your loyalty is slighted would be relevant if they took away some of the perks you now get...but as far as I know (and I admit I have not read every thread) that has not happened.

I don't expect any reaction from Celebrity. If we are not in our cabin someone else will be.

I have a dumb question.

You always ID yourself in "Drydock" Why?

But you DO get the benefits that were spelled out to you when you joined the Captain's Club - all the Elite benefits. You get what was bargained for. I can honestly say that I value shop for cruises, and my 10+ points do not even come near to what I'd have spent on a suite for half the amount of time.

I think people just need to stop worrying what OTHERS are getting and concentrate on having a good time with what you DO get. Honestly, I had just as much fun on my first 9 points of cruises, without the Elite perks...yes I like the added perks (laundry and internet save us money, but don't give us a more fun cruise) ... it has not changed my experience THAT much.

To say that your loyalty is slighted would be relevant if they took away some of the perks you now get...but as far as I know (and I admit I have not read every thread) that has not happened.

Very nicely put. I honestly think that some people have cruised so much that they have forgot how to enjoy it and can only find fault. Sounds like some new to find a new form of vacation. It gets old reading the negative over and over.

Not sure if this is a "RIGHT" answer for what is being posted in this particular thread. Everyone has a different opinion. From what I gather it's not that you want special recognition as a long time cruiser but you want to be able to maintain the perks you've received to date. Is this correct? Honestly, I do understand where you are coming from. Cannot fathom why they can't provide a transfer for you. After all, they must have bus loads of passengers coming and going to the terminals. A small amount of money for them put obviously a large amount of goodwill has been lost by you.

Come back to the board and let us know if you've booked elsewhere and if you've found another alternative. Happy spending wherever your dollars take you.

Happiness Formula

H=M/E

H= Happiness

M= Motivation

E=. Expectations

You will most likely find happiness if you keep your motivation high and your expectations low.

When I think of the happiest moments of my life they don't involve money.

"Real happiness is helping others" Cliff Docterman, Past President, Rotary International

Archived