Elite: Starting to feel less appreciated by Celebrity

djjoe

My wife and I just got off the 8/18 sailing on the Summit. It was our third Celebrity cruise so we have 4 previous Captain's Club credits, putting us in the Classic category --- the lowest CC category. We were treated like royalty. As AQ guests, we ate at Blu. The maitre 'd gave us great tables, frequently window seats. He came to the table a couple of times during each meal to make recommendations, to see how we were enjoying the meal or just to chat. Why? Because we were always pleasant and cheerful when we entered the restaurant and we took the time to to find out about his background. We did the same with each member of the staff. We know where everyone was from and what their background was, how long they have been working in the cruise industry, when their vacation is coming up and what they are going to do, etc. If you treat people with courtesy and respect, they will treat you well in return. If you take an interest in people's lives, they will take an interest in you, too.

We may not have Captain's Club Elite status, but we were treated like "elites" all over the ship for the entire cruise.

Bob

Read some of my past posts and you'll know how I feel about Loyalty. However, as painful as it might be for some to grasp: Celebrity is a for profit business! They are part of RCCL, a publically traded company with a responsibility to their stock holders. The stock doing quite well at this time as its near the 52 week high. Current revenue is more important to a company than old revenue. One achieves the Elite Level by past spending that no longer contributes to the bottom line. Celebrity has created more suite cabins on ships to generate more revenue. They are clearly targeting the higher income passenger rather than those looking to travel on a budget. All passengers are not created equal, those who spend more are "more equal" and that needs to be recognized. I might not like it, you might not like it, but what we think is not relevant. Only the profit margin is relevant to the Miami Suits. The top, top cruisers do in fact receive special attention. The ship receives a list with their names and photos prior to the cruise. The first time I was "top cruiser" I was surprised that every one seemed to know me as people I never met before recognized me by name. Nice, but can get old very quickly. What makes a cruise special are the people I meet, not the perks I receive. That's not to say that I don't feel that the loyalty program should be enhanced, it should. But, business is business and Celebrity doesn't need to empty the vault, they just need to be a bit better than their competition. At this point, at least to me, they are.

No surprise here. Cruise lines love the suite guests due to the cost of the stateroom. RCI does the same thing. Not going to change. If someone has issues with this then it's best to make your feelings known and book your next cruise on another line. Vote with your wallet. For me I love the suite perks that the X and RCI pass along. They are paid for in the price of the cabin. This is also coming from a D+ and Elite past guest.

The "loyalty" issue on our cruise was that Elites were kind of ignored or tolerated --no special boarding etc. We are the sure thing in X's customer base, while the Diamonds on board from Royal C were being actively recruited & courted with lots of attention and extra perks in hopes they would switch to X. It was a bit of an annoyance but we do not cruise for perks but for love of the sea & ships!

I'm not buying this at all. Two cruises as an interloping Diamond and were never treated better than any other Elites. Couldn't even get a Captain Coke at the Elite cocktail hour without using my drink package. Wasn't recruited for anything. Are you sure you're not suffering from a case of possessivism?

I guess I must walk around in a daze while on a cruise. In over 20 cruise on Celebrity, I have NEVER noticed that I was sailing on a dirty, shabby, or rusty ship.

I don't recall ever having to wait on a long line to check in, I go the the line marked for my class cabin & may have to wait for a few people ago arrived before I did.

Some sailings the Elite cocktail function is in Michael's Club, some it's in the lounge forward, or there may be coupons. No matter.

I have never noticed that there are too many suite passengers crowding the cocktail hour, or that there were too many of those :eek: Royal Caribbean passengers drinking MY free cocktails. I certainly never noticed that they were given more attention than me, & I am ELITE!

Are there too many at the Elite level of the Captain's Club?, sure & they most likely will be adding a level or two. (I am sure there will even more bi#~+ing then!).

Whatever the new perks, if any, I will use them or not, depending on if they appeal to me. I'll probably just keep on walking around in my fog, enjoying my cruise.

I guess I must walk around in a daze while on a cruise. In over 20 cruise on Celebrity, I have NEVER noticed that I was sailing on a dirty, shabby, or rusty ship.

I don't recall ever having to wait on a long line to check in, I go the the line marked for my class cabin & may have to wait for a few people ago arrived before I did.

Some sailings the Elite cocktail function is in Michael's Club, some it's in the lounge forward, or there may be coupons. No matter.

I have never noticed that there are too many suite passengers crowding the cocktail hour, or that there were too many of those :eek: Royal Caribbean passengers drinking MY free cocktails. I certainly never noticed that they were given more attention than me, & I am ELITE!

Are there too many at the Elite level of the Captain's Club?, sure & they most likely will be adding a level or two. (I am sure there will even more bi#~+ing then!).

Whatever the new perks, if any, I will use them or not, depending on if they appeal to me. I'll probably just keep on walking around in my fog, enjoying my cruise.

Amen!!!!!!!!

Can I ask a question? How in the world do you know who at the cocktail hour is in a suite??? You know everyone is elite because you have to be to get in. And it's very possible that those who are in suites are also elite. I just don't see what all the fuss about suites is about.

...and who are Elite visa vie Diamond on Royal? Is it stamped on their foreheads?

I would suggest that if it was your first Elite level cruise and you had the second highest Captain's Club credits for that sailing in AQ there probably weren't many Elites = easier to show recognition.

Phil

Absolutely true, no doubt. But I was impressed that they actually paid attention.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Can I ask a question? How in the world do you know who at the cocktail hour is in a suite??? You know everyone is elite because you have to be to get in. And it's very possible that those who are in suites are also elite. I just don't see what all the fuss about suites is about.

Well said!

It is simply funny to read people's complaints about " loyalty programs". By their very nature, such programs, to the extent they had meaning in the first place, have to become diluted. The more repeat passengers the programs lure back to. a line's ships, the more other "loyal" passengers there will be who will expect to be treated as " special". Once everyone on board with you is similarly "special" how will you be able to see any difference in the way you are treated.

Then, of course, there is the awkward question of what "loyalty" means. Does any regular Celebrity cruiser really believe that if another line offered him better accommodations, on a better itinerary, for a lower price he would say: "no, I only sail Celebrity."?

Lines are in business to make money - they do that by offering people what they want - and if a brand new cruiser is willing to pay a premium price for some special accommodations - including free drinks and snacks (which used to be offered exclusively to multiple repeat passengers) those repeat passengers are going to find themselves crowd we out.

Face it: it is not enough to just keep coming back -- if your coming back does not financially benefit the line, do you really think that they will keep offering you goodies?

On our South America cruise we met a wonderful couple on their first cruise who we met on this board prior to the trip and had arranged a private shore excursion with. They had booked a standard balcony cabin and were upgraded to a Royal Suite before the departure date. I thought that was wonderful that Celebrity would to that - and a smart move on its part to impress a new customer and build loyalty. I wasn't annoyed that we weren't upgraded as past passengers - because I also knew that we probably paid less in the first place because as experienced cruisers we knew how to watch the prices and use the promotions and booking policies to our advantage. Yes, Celebrity has us hooked and probably don't have to court us as much as a result...but the bean counters also know we probably drive the hardest bargains in terms of price paid, and it costs them more to entertain us with all our "earned" perks too. The newbies are in fact subsidizing our perks so I'm happy about that! ;)

Can you supply an example of how Diamond members were treated differently?

On our last cruise on RCCL the Loyalty manager commented on our X cruise history while I booked a future cruise and though we are only close to 'real' Diamond on RC we were invited to a private cocktail party for Diamond Plus awards and were introduce to the Hotel manager and Captain.

The HM helped us with a few ship issues after our meeting.

They may be going out of their way to get that cross line business.

...and who are Elite visa vie Diamond on Royal? Is it stamped on their foreheads?

Right, I'm curious to hear some specific examples as well... in part because of Big G's very valid point.

I'll be an "interloping Diamond" (lol) on Silhouette next month staying in AQ so I guess I'll see for myself.

Other things that don't help is when people that are Elite try to share their benefits with their friends or family that aren't and are traveling in different cabins.

Saying that many people in suites may be Elite could be true but on Princess they designate on your cabin mail box your Club level along with the names of the occupants. The name cards are color coded and the elite are black. It seemed as if most of those that were black were on the inside cabins and most of the suites were coded the color for passengers that haven't cruised before or never signed up.

This post is another one that causes concern.:eek: This will be our first Celebrity cruise. We are new to cruising and last year we were on Azamara. We were treated wonderfully. I just keep reading negative comments about how X treats their pax.

We have been on approximately 10 Celebrity cruises - nothing but top notch service EVERY time. No worries.

We're Elite, and don't feel the need for any special "care and feeding." We're just happy with the Elite perks which include internet, laundry, and morning/evening happy hours.

dITTO FOR ME ALSO. WE LIKE ACQUA CLASS AND BLU AND USE THE SHIP AS A FLOATING HOTEL, GIVE ME THE "PERKS OUTLINED ABOVE", CLEAN BEDDING AND A DECENT MEAL..I AM HAPPY.. I HAVE TRAVELED ON AZAMARA IT IS GOOD BUT IMHO NOT WORTH THE EXTRA BUCKS FOR THAT "SPECIAL" FEELING. WOULD RATHER USE THE EXTRA BUCKS FOR PRIVATE TOURS. THIS IS A BUSINESS. WHAT TYPE OF LOYUALTY DO YOU EXPECT ON A MASS MARKET OPERATION. ?? iF YOU EAT AT SUBWAY 10 TIMES YOU GET A FREE 4.99 SUB.. IF YOU ARE ELITE YOU GET SEMI WARM FRANKS IN BLANKETS , FREE DRINKS AND CUBED CHEDDAR EVERY NIGHT.AND FREE "GOURMET" COFFEE IN THE MORNING AND FRESH OJ. FOR FREE

WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ASK FOR?? oH YES, ON FREE LAUNDRY WASH AND 90 MINUTES INTERNET... WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT??

ANYHOW GET REAL... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IN ALL ASPECTS OF LIFE..

WAS THAT A GOOD MONDAY AFTERNOON RANT???

HAVE A BETTER DAY AND REFLECT ON THE MORAL DECLINE OF THE WORLD AS SEEN ON THE VMA AWARDS LAST NIGHT

CIAO

Starting to agree with you...............money is the bottom line.

:( We agree, since Michael Bayley took over the bottom line is now all that matters, not Celebrity's loyal cruisers. We are Elite members three or four times over, and have four Celebrity cruses booked in 2014 one in November of this year, we are considering canceling all of them. We have eight friends on the Millie, what they tell us about the way they've been treated, will help us make up our mind. What Celebrity needs to understand is that word of mouth is more powerful then all of their advertisements, or even these boards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

We are Elite members three or four times over

There are some Celebrity Cruise addicts that would become elite every year, cruising for ten to twenty weeks a year...

For the last two years we have received free transportation for back to back cruises in adjacent ports: MIA to FLL or the reverse.

Until recently Celebrity offered a free hotel stay for frequent cruisers who cruised back to back but with a one day interruption between sailing schedules.

The hotel stay has been discontinued and we just learned that the shuttle is no longer available as well.

We were scheduled to sail on Reflection in Miami in February followed by Century in Port Everglades. Captain's Club just informed me that I would have to buy a transfer to the nearest airport and another transfer from the airport to the neighbouring port.

At a certain point great service expectations that are no longer available will lead to a reaction. I reacted... :cool:

I'm not Elite but all of these "they don't appreciate us Elite threads" are starting to get a bit much. It is a known fact that the sheer numbers of Elites now exceeds the ability of the program. I understand that people don't care for the voucher system when it has to be utilized (not on this sailing) - as most cherish the interaction of the cocktail party - but to be upset about Concierge, Aqua & Suites having a dedicated security line - oh come on - what do you think these people are PAYING more money for? You were in the nightly cocktail party and are going to complain about the suite guests being there? How are you sure they aren't in a suite and Elite too.

Like it or not this is a business - and while you should be grateful for the loyalty perks offered - you can't expect to be treated the same as the person staying in the higher priced cabins. Reserved seating in the theater costs X nothing and yet it makes the suites more appealing for some - while taking nothing away from you. The loyalty program for any business is to encourage repeat business but the focus is always on the bottom line and attracting those big spenders will be the priority.

Why so much focus on what others are getting? What a rotten vacation I would have if I had to compare the fact that someone else had a first class flight, a private limo pickup from the airport, a suite, got to attend the Elite functions. I do hope that I make it to Elite someday but in the meantime - I don't spend one second of my time paying attention to what anyone else is getting.

Here here! Couldn't have put I better myself! I feel it's a bit of snobbery, I am elite on celebrity and in a suite, and you know what? Every time I go on a cruise I thank my lucky stars that I am fortunate enough to be able to go on one, I never just expect to get anything or think I'm better than anyone. I thoroughly enjoy the benefits being in a suite/diamond/elite grants me and never take them for granted or look down on those that don't have them. It's a holiday, enjoy yourself! :o

We just got home from an excellent weather Bermuda cruise aboard the Summit. We are Elite members with 20 cruise credits, but that doesn't seem to count anymore. Here are some changes that I observed at Bayonne and aboard the ship. There is now a special entrance (before the security scanner) for concierge, aqua class and suites. Only one scanner operating for everyone else created a very long wait for us to finally get into the check in area. The Captain's Club celebration on day three no longer has the "stations" serving crepes, sushi, the chocolate and fruit fountain, etc. They only serve drinks and very limited h'orderves. There seemed to be more suite guests (including children) in Michael's club than Elite members for happy hour. On the nights of the production shows, an area was roped off and reserved for suite guests only. I'm starting to get the feeling that Celebrity cares more about the suite guests than loyal Elite Captain's Club members. I was told that a new level will probably take effect in 2014. Hopefully my Diamond Plus status on Royal Caribbean will equate to whatever new level that X will create.

Djjoe - I'm sorry you found so many disappointing areas on your cruise.

Frankly, I don't see anything on your list of issues that I would have even noticed let along been bothered by. Some of the things, such as no reserved seats for Elite in the theater, have never even been in place on Celebrity in the past so I'm a bit surprised you were disappointed by the lack of it.

I hope you were able to enjoy your cruise despite being bothered by these situations. If not then I suspect it might be a clear indication that Celebrity isn't the right cruise line for you.

Cruisenut:

It is hard to believe that X would have the nerve to tell a very, very frequent cruiser that they are not willing to pay approximately $60 for a taxi to get one from Miami - FLL or vice versa. They should be paying for a private car service, around $90, to take you and if one night between ships get a hotel room which would cost them say $100 at their discounted rate!

Reducing Passages benefits, no buffet at the Captain's Club gathering and now this for very loyal customers. It looks like we are in for a rocky ride with further reductions in benefits, on board perks, etc.

For those of you who have not traveled extensively with X, please don't tell those of us who have to be happy with what they give us. We are happy with what we get, we are not happy with where they are headed in their dealings with loyal customers.

Here here! Couldn't have put I better myself! I feel it's a bit of snobbery, I am elite on celebrity and in a suite, and you know what? Every time I go on a cruise I thank my lucky stars that I am fortunate enough to be able to go on one, I never just expect to get anything or think I'm better than anyone. I thoroughly enjoy the benefits being in a suite/diamond/elite grants me and never take them for granted or look down on those that don't have them. It's a holiday, enjoy yourself!

Love your response...we also consider ourselves fortunate to be able to cruise as often as we do and enjoy the accommodation our income provides. We were upgraded to a RS once...it was superb...will probably never be in one again. X and elite have both provided enjoyable perks along with wonderful service...JMHO.

Archived