Dave's Live from Eurodam Trans-Atlantic, Aug. 27 - Sept. 12, 2013

RetiredMustang

Thank you for taking the time to post. I love reading other people's reviews. I am having a hard time reading the daily programs but it could be a me problem and not you. Anyone else having a hard time reading them.

I love the pictures of Amsterdam. Last time we were there was for a layover, I wish I had taken the time to leave the airport.

Just got off the Eurodam in Amsterdam today to make room for you.;)

We are already home and this will be a great way to imagine we are still onboard.

This is a trip we would also like to take one day.

matondo.

if you can see the pictures but they are too small too read and you are using windows 7 you can use CTRL and + together to make them larger(and ctrl - to make them smaller) CTRL and 0 puts you back to your original size.

hope that helps

Dave; when you see EUDM's S/O, a former Coastie by the name of Doug, give him my regards please. Enjoy the trip up north and the crossing. Prins Christian Sund is awesome!

John,

I will certainly look out for Doug and deliver the message if I see him. He was not manning the entry as I boarded. I did see a man wearing a white shirt under a dark jacket, so I thought he was an officer, so I asked him if he was the S/O. He said, somewhat sternly, “No. Why, is there a problem?” I said “No, just wanted to pass on a personal greeting.” Now my name probably has a tick mark by it, and I and my stuff will be looked at extra closely when I come aboard in ports. :rolleyes:

Dave

Dave,

I know you mentioned using photobucket. Are u taking pics via your iPhone ? And do u have photobucket mobile on it ? Or what method are you using for posting pics on here ?

Thank you much and welcome aboard MS.Eurodam.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No, I don’t have an iPhone. I’m not much for technical things, but I did finally join photobucket. What I do is take my photos with a small digital camera, copy the files I want to my desktop and edit them with Paint. Then I rename the files, and upload them to photobucket. When I want to embed one or more in a post, I open photobucket in another tab, copy the photos one by one and paste them into the CC post I am writing.

Dave

John,

I will certainly look out for Doug and deliver the message if I see him. He was not manning the entry as I boarded. I did see a man wearing a white shirt under a dark jacket, so I thought he was an officer, so I asked him if he was the S/O. He said, somewhat sternly, “No. Why, is there a problem?” I said “No, just wanted to pass on a personal greeting.” Now my name probably has a tick mark by it, and I and my stuff will be looked at extra closely when I come aboard in ports. :rolleyes:

Dave

You'll probably have to report to the OOW tonight;) Doug's got a bit of a goatee

Enjoying your photos and blog, Dave. Met you on the Maasdam in February 2012 so feel a connection. Looking forward to "sailing" with you on your voyage. We did a similar one out of London on the Grand Princess some years ago. Scenery is fantastic. Barbara

thanks so much for posting a picture of the programme ...being a bit of an organisation freak i'm stupidly happy to see one in advance of my cruise. I also read menu's etc and imagine what i'd order ...i'm not crazy. honest :p...

have a wonderful trip

m x

Tue., Aug. 27, 2013 (Cont.)

We held the safety drill at 3 p.m., and sailed at 4. We went through the North Sea Canal en route to the North Sea, past industrial areas, farms, villages, etc.

Here is a typical view along the canal:

AlongtheNorthSeaCanal_zps7a4c5456.jpg

We had early fixed dining, and found that we had been assigned the table for two we had asked for; in fact it is one of the prime ones, along the rail, so we could see part of the lower dining area as well.

We ordered a carafe of wine instead of a bottle. The carafe has about a half-liter, enough for about a glass and a half each with dinner, which is a good amount. Yes, I know we have the option of saving any unused part of a bottle for another night – we have the option, but we don’t have the ability. The carafe works better for us.

We found several foods we could like from the menu:

Aug27dinnermenu1a_zps3c1d21cc.jpg

Aug27dinnermenu2a_zpse7638c6f.jpg

Aug27dessertmenu_zps8ed96fbc.jpg

I chose the traditional:

Aug27primerib_zpsd835e2bf.jpg

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Tue., Aug. 27, 2013 (Cont.)

We held the safety drill at 3 p.m., and sailed at 4. We went through the North Sea Canal en route to the North Sea, past industrial areas, farms, villages, etc.

Here is a typical view along the canal:

AlongtheNorthSeaCanal_zps7a4c5456.jpg

""Nauerna"", the hills are made upon a garbage dump.

Edited by Ine

I'm following along! I'm fairly new to cruising and had thought transatlantics were just sailing across the Atlantic with many sea days (too many for me). Your itinerary looks very interesting. I hope you post lots of photos :) Thanks for taking the time and may you have a fantastic journey!

Here is the front page of the Explorer pamphlet (which includes port info). The front has the full itinerary, dress each day, and the bio of the Captain, Emiel De Vries.

The first two trips we took were with Captain Darrin "Hurricane" Bowland. We changed itinerary in 2009 because of a hurricane, and in 2011 got some heavy seas from one passing to our south. Hopefully, the weather with Captain De Vries will be calm.

Explorerfrontpage_zps904e9087.jpg

More later,

Dave

Wednesday, August 28, 2013, at sea

It is a busy day at sea today en route to Norway. Here are two photos with today's program. (I see that DW got to it before I did, so I have parts of the day already planned :D.) Seriously, I will post this, and then go to the CC meet and greet.

Aug28program1_zpsa69f8692.jpg

Aug28program2_zpse36e1053.jpg

More later,

Dave

""Nauerna"", the hills are made upon a garbage dump.

That’s what we were wondering as we went by, whether the hills were garbage fills. There is a place in Virginia Beach, VA, where the city did just that about 40 years ago. The piled lots of garbage, sealed it and covered it with soil to create a park. They had a contest to name it, with the citizens voting on the suggested names. The one that won the vote heavily was one the city fathers probably did not appreciate – Mount Trashmore, a pun on Mt. Rushmore. But, it still is named Mount Trashmore.

Dave