Exclusive - New VIP walkway

Andym

In the industry I worked in for over 30 years, we got a lot of VIP perks and they were great. I never worried about what others, that couldn't use the perks, thought - I just enjoyed them. If I'm ever extended VIP status on Celebrity, I will not only use the red carpet, I'll probably dance all they way down it. I really don't think the other cruisers, except for those that are jealous, will think one way or another about those using the VIP entrance.

Honestly, I am neutral about a VIP entrance....but if there is an entrance open on a lower deck then the main entrance, then I really hope it's open for those who are handicapped and not limited to those who are VIP's, etc.

An interesting thread. Started out so light hearted! Loved Arno's picture in his robe and crown! Oh, it wasn't him?! LOL

Sorry it has changed in its feel and focus from what seemed to be the OP's intent (IMO).

I will probably never be the most frequent X cruiser on board and may never book a suite, but I do enjoy the perks that come with being a repeat X cruiser.

If I ever am designated as a VIP, I'll walk on the Red Carpet. Too bad I may not know ahead of time so I can bring my Crown and Robe to dress the part!! LOL

An interesting thread. Started out so light hearted! Loved Arno's picture in his robe and crown! Oh, it wasn't him?! LOL

Sorry it has changed in its feel and focus from what seemed to be the OP's intent (IMO).

I will probably never be the most frequent X cruiser on board and may never book a suite, but I do enjoy the perks that come with being a repeat X cruiser.

If I ever am designated as a VIP, I'll walk on the Red Carpet. Too bad I may not know ahead of time so I can bring my Crown and Robe to dress the part!! LOL

Your butler or concierge should be able to get you a Tiara and Robe. No crown for you! ;)

I just got off a port intensive Infinity cruise and saw that silly red carpet and sign at each gangway. I didn't see anyone using it. It was sort of in the way as we all went thru the same security to show our sea pass. Security was always inside the ship. But as silly as it was, at some ports it did lead you to a lower gangway. I saw a handicapped man with cane and quite the limp, ask to use the lower gangway and was turned down. I'm not horrified easily, but really was when this poor guy with an obvious prosthetic had to climb up the big incline.

I saw a handicapped man with cane and quite the limp, ask to use the lower gangway and was turned down. I'm not horrified easily, but really was when this poor guy with an obvious prosthetic had to climb up the big incline.

That's really terrible policy...or non thinking implementation of a poor policy.

The Gangway when in port was always Deck 1, there isnt a lower entry than that.

This was supposed to be a light hearted post showing the uselessness of the so called VIP entrance.

Everyone went in the same way, the only VIP perk was to walk on this red carpet.

We just returned from a cruise on the Infinity and were selected for the VIP program. Don't ask how -- we haven't a clue. We did notice the VIP entrance to board the ship but it didn't look to lead anywhere! We did enjoy all the other perks. It's a nice touch. Reminds me of the Concierge Lounge on Royal Caribbean for Diamond + and suite guests. Made good use of Michael's too.

We just returned from a cruise on the Infinity and were selected for the VIP program. Don't ask how -- we haven't a clue. We did notice the VIP entrance to board the ship but it didn't look to lead anywhere! We did enjoy all the other perks. It's a nice touch. Reminds me of the Concierge Lounge on Royal Caribbean for Diamond + and suite guests. Made good use of Michael's too.

Oh...give us a clue to how they pick VIPs....

The Gangway when in port was always Deck 1, there isnt a lower entry than that.

This was supposed to be a light hearted post showing the uselessness of the so called VIP entrance.

Everyone went in the same way, the only VIP perk was to walk on this red carpet.

So is it the same gangway or not? :confused:

Oh...give us a clue to how they pick VIPs....
I think that the selection process is a work in progress. There were frequent cruisers, the most frequent cruiser couple, and suite guests but not all suite guests. We never quite figured out how the decision is made. We're just glad we were chosen. We're not expecting that we'll probably ever be selected again but it was a very nice treat and we were most appreciative.

Silly or not, if I was entitled to use it as a result of my cruising history or money spent on a Suite, I would certainly use it if more convenient. People take special lines all the time. I don't look down or jealously at people who use a first class line at an airport or a special line at a cruise terminal. Why should this be any different? If someone with a disability could benefit by using a special line they should be able to use it. Now if they could only create a special way to bypass the security line when you board or re board, that would be a real time saver.

I have to admit, if I were a VIP I'd be too embarrassed to use it. It does seem silly.

Totally agree. Unless there is a very very long line elsewhere and it gives me some time advantage I would be the same, however, no way do I think my status allows me to duck the security line and scanning. First class flyers do not get to - even those coming direct to the flight from the VIP suites so why would the ship be any different

To use it otherwise would be an ostentatious display of pomposity - aka strut strut strut look at me I can use this line because I have a big suite/big bank balance that can fund so many days at sea you just do not know/ etc etc

Silly or not, if I was entitled to use it as a result of my cruising history or money spent on a Suite, I would certainly use it if more convenient. People take special lines all the time. I don't look down or jealously at people who use a first class line at an airport or a special line at a cruise terminal. Why should this be any different? If someone with a disability could benefit by using a special line they should be able to use it. Now if they could only create a special way to bypass the security line when you board or re board, that would be a real time saver.

I could never figure out why it's a benefit to be the first to board a plane. We are all taking off at the same time. If the airlines had sense they would board the back of the plane first. You pay top dollar to be in first class only to be suffocated by someone's butt or to be hit with the carry on luggage while the line builds up waiting for the passengers at the back of the plane to find their seats. My wife and I always book seats towards the front in coach but we sit in the terminal until every one has boarded and we just walk onto the plane without waiting in line and find our seats. Why do I need to sit in the plane longer than I have to? I book an aisle seat for both of us and we don't want to have to get up out of our seat to let the other two passengers get to their seats. True VIP's or Celebrities always are the last to board the plane. I guess the airlines play into the fact that people naturally are impatient and use the VIP line as a cost free promotion to psychologically make passenger feel that they are receiving something extra.

It shouldn't matter to you what others get if you are comfortable with yourself.

I can pay at least 3 different prices for the same pizza in Europe. One price if I take it away. A higher price if I eat it while standing at a counter. A higher price if I sit at a table. You are paying for the higher level of service. The more you pay, the more service and attention you get. You want more, pay more. Your choice. Now that might seem to some to be unfair to some. Sometimes I'm at the front of the line. Sometimes I'm at the back. I'm always in the last group to board an airplane. Hate to burst the bubble of some, but "all men (persons) are created equal" is a distortion of reality. Think we need to end discrimination against the privileged.

I could never figure out why it's a benefit to be the first to board a plane. We are all taking off at the same time. If the airlines had sense they would board the back of the plane first. You pay top dollar to be in first class only to be suffocated by someone's butt or to be hit with the carry on luggage while the line builds up waiting for the passengers at the back of the plane to find their seats. My wife and I always book seats towards the front in coach but we sit in the terminal until every one has boarded and we just walk onto the plane without waiting in line and find our seats. Why do I need to sit in the plane longer than I have to? I book an aisle seat for both of us and we don't want to have to get up out of our seat to let the other two passengers get to their seats. True VIP's or Celebrities always are the last to board the plane. I guess the airlines play into the fact that people naturally are impatient and use the VIP line as a cost free promotion to psychologically make passenger feel that they are receiving something extra.

I'm glad not everyone likes to board in the beginning. I do, I don't like to stand in line before boarding or while inside the plane. If I travel in first class, I like to get comfortable and get a soda and relax before the plane takes off. If I fly coach, I like to get on and get my carryon taken care of, before all the bins are taken and, again, relax before take off. It is so great that we all don't like the same things, otherwise what a mess it would be.

It shouldn't matter to you what others get if you are comfortable with yourself.

I can pay at least 3 different prices for the same pizza in Europe. One price if I take it away. A higher price if I eat it while standing at a counter. A higher price if I sit at a table. You are paying for the higher level of service. The more you pay, the more service and attention you get. You want more, pay more. Your choice. Now that might seem to some to be unfair to some. Sometimes I'm at the front of the line. Sometimes I'm at the back. I'm always in the last group to board an airplane. Hate to burst the bubble of some, but "all men (persons) are created equal" is a distortion of reality. Think we need to end discrimination against the privileged.

You are so correct, people shouldn't care what others are getting, just concentrate on what they are getting. I really don't understand why so many people have a problem with the perks others get (is it the green eyed monster???). If they want them, then they should pay for them as well.

You are so correct, people shouldn't care what others are getting, just concentrate on what they are getting. I really don't understand why so many people have a problem with the perks others get (is it the green eyed monster???). If they want them, then they should pay for them as well.

The point of the thread is that they aren't getting anything but lip service since it has been reported that there haven't been any lines to stand in.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

The point of the thread is that they aren't getting anything but lip service since it has been reported that there haven't been any lines to stand in.

Maybe "no lines" is a perk to some people. Does it have to have a monetary value attached to it?

I don't understand what the objections to this dedicated line are...

I don't understand what the objections to this dedicated line are...

It reminds me of the old, old, long ago days when teams were picked one at a time... When you are last to be picked, and then grudgingly, the come back always seemed to be "I didn't want to be on that team anyways"..

Whoever is picked will have paid for the perk whether through a high level suite or repeated cruising on Celebrity. With all these people stating beforehand that if they are chosen they will turn it down anyways, the line will always be short..

No one has reported that this "perk" is on any other ship to date so it may just be something that will not be adopted fleet-wide.

The significance, as CruisinNole has suggested, is what happens after you get onboard and I am sure that not many will turn down the opportunity to scope out the lounge upon boarding.

There has always been lines when I get on from a port, so I would love to have the VIP entrance to avoid them.

Archived