Price Reduction...Be Aware

trbarton

I'm booked on the December 20th Grand cruise to Hawaii. I noticed that their was a reduction of $100 on my balcony cruise so I emailed my T/A about the $100 reduction and here is what happened. By applying the reduction I lost some other OBC that I had and found out that I have lost $100 in OBC by making the change. I don't understand why my T/A did not advise me before making the changes that I would loose $100 by making the changes. I'm going to call Princess and see if they can do anything. Any suggestions from anybody?

Thanks!

Tom:(

I'm booked on the December 20th Grand cruise to Hawaii. I noticed that their was a reduction of $100 on my balcony cruise so I emailed my T/A about the $100 reduction and here is what happened. By applying the reduction I lost some other OBC that I had and found out that I have lost $100 in OBC by making the change. I don't understand why my T/A did not advise me before making the changes that I would loose $100 by making the changes. I'm going to call Princess and see if they can do anything. Any suggestions from anybody?

Thanks!

Tom:(

Definitely look for a new TA.

When Princess ran an earlier sale I was able to get a promo OBC from them. I had booked direct before transferring to my agent, and the Princess Rep informed me that I might lose the OBC if I took advantage of a possible future price reduction.

I think some of these specials are complicated, it would be easy for a TA to miss as they are dealing with specials from many cruise lines and many specials with Princess.

Ideally, they should have let you know.

It doesn't sound like you are worse than when you started.

But I would always prefer having a lower fare paid than a higher fare plus onboard credit, assuming the lower up front fare is equal or less. The onboard credit or free specialty dining or shore excursion credit or whatever, probably costs the cruise line way less than 50 cents on the dollar..and money in my pocket is a sure thing!

We had called Princess Direct and saved $300 for the two of us, plus $50 OBC for our cabin, and did not lose our original $100 OBC we earned from our early deposit before we disembarked last cruise. The only thing that changed is our deposit now is non-refundable.

There's a lot going on with these deals now and you have to really stay on top of it and read the fine print. My TA is really good about seeing the pros and cons of a deal, but I really know what's coming before she looks at it. To the OP, I'm glad you're happy with how things came out.

Thank you so much for posting about the fare reductions! After going to Princess' website and seeing that our sailing was offering reduced fairs from the time that we booked, we called today, and were able to save $324 between the two of us, plus each of us received an additional $25 onboard credit! It's definitely worth taking a few minutes to log on to Princess.com to see if there are lower prices available for your cruise/cabin category. :D

Now if only flight prices would head in the same direction... :eek:

Thank you so much for posting about the fare reductions! After going to Princess' website and seeing that our sailing was offering reduced fairs from the time that we booked, we called today, and were able to save $324 between the two of us, plus each of us received an additional $25 onboard credit! It's definitely worth taking a few minutes to log on to Princess.com to see if there are lower prices available for your cruise/cabin category. :D

Now if only flight prices would head in the same direction... :eek:

I recently saw a CC post regarding a price decrease on my upcoming (not until May, sigh...) coastal cruise. I contacted the TA and asked about it. (In my opinion he should have been on top of this and contacted me rather than the other way around but my wife likes using him...) Thanks to the post on CC I saved $660. It does pay to keep on top of things.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - just wanted to leave a note that prices were reduced again...for our cruise, anyway! I checked the fares last night on Princess' website, and found that the price per person for our cabin category was reduced by $150, though we would no longer get the $25 OBC. I'm not brilliant in math, but I'd say that we won :) So, we've been able to realize approximately $325/person in savings since we booked about 10 weeks ago. Yeah!

So, moral of the story: check fares again on Princess' website! Happy savings!

Just make sure you know all about the new prices. I know our latest we had at the end of Aug had a non refundable deposit attached to it, so if you use a FCC you could be out more than you save. Just beware.

Hi - just wanted to leave a note that prices were reduced again...for our cruise, anyway! I checked the fares last night on Princess' website, and found that the price per person for our cabin category was reduced by $150, though we would no longer get the $25 OBC. I'm not brilliant in math, but I'd say that we won :) So, we've been able to realize approximately $325/person in savings since we booked about 10 weeks ago. Yeah!

So, moral of the story: check fares again on Princess' website! Happy savings!

A mistake on my part. You only lose your deposit & FCC OBC if you cancel your cruise entirely. I thought the TA had to cancel and rebook thus losing the deposit but that is not the case.

Just make sure you know all about the new prices. I know our latest we had at the end of Aug had a non refundable deposit attached to it, so if you use a FCC you could be out more than you save. Just beware.

Thanks for everyone doing the math for me. I realize that I lost $100 in OBC but got a total reduction of $200 in the cruise fare so I came out $100 ahead.

Tom:D

Same thing happened to us, but we had booked directly with Princess and they were very good about explaining everything. I ended up taking the $200 reduction and losing the OBC since I came out $100+ ahead (insurance cost was reduced slightly too). I would have been upset if it wasn't fully explained to me. Your TA should have let you know.

Archived