San Juan Cruise Port Transfer to Air Port

Luv2Crus40

We took a cruise contracted shuttle from the ship to the bus . It was simply awful. After claiming your bags, you went outside onto a sidewalk Your bags were put in the back of very large pickup trucks in totally random fashion with no regard as to who was on what bus. You waited at the ship until the bus was full and were then driven to the airport. At the airport you were let off to await the trucks carrying bags to arrive. There was no shade of any kind, no water, nowhere to sit or rest while you waited. The heat on the totally concrete waiting area was amazing as it reflected off the buildings. When the trucks with the bags arrived, they just unloaded them helter skelter onto the sidewalk. Then the hoards of people who were waiting for thier bags started to cram into the small area to get their bags, or see if one was theirs. There were so many bags in the back of each truck they had to wait for the masses to clear some of the bags before they could continue unloading. There was no way you could try to keep your bag in any kind of sight line. AND, there was a very real possibility your bag may be at the very end of the next truck etc etc.

There were lots of cabs at the ship, and those folks stepped into the cab with their bags in the trunk and were let off at the departure area. And, it cost less!! No brainer for us on our next trip. Also, you can stay on the ship until they MAKE you get off....don't know the time, but probably 10:30 ish. Perhaps your cab driver can do a tour for you to see some areas of town and spend some time pleasantly. Won't hurt to ask. Good luck.

We took a cruise contracted shuttle from the ship to the bus . It was simply awful. After claiming your bags, you went outside onto a sidewalk Your bags were put in the back of very large pickup trucks in totally random fashion with no regard as to who was on what bus. You waited at the ship until the bus was full and were then driven to the airport. At the airport you were let off to await the trucks carrying bags to arrive. There was no shade of any kind, no water, nowhere to sit or rest while you waited. The heat on the totally concrete waiting area was amazing as it reflected off the buildings. When the trucks with the bags arrived, they just unloaded them helter skelter onto the sidewalk. Then the hoards of people who were waiting for thier bags started to cram into the small area to get their bags, or see if one was theirs. There were so many bags in the back of each truck they had to wait for the masses to clear some of the bags before they could continue unloading. There was no way you could try to keep your bag in any kind of sight line. AND, there was a very real possibility your bag may be at the very end of the next truck etc etc.

There were lots of cabs at the ship, and those folks stepped into the cab with their bags in the trunk and were let off at the departure area. And, it cost less!! No brainer for us on our next trip. Also, you can stay on the ship until they MAKE you get off....don't know the time, but probably 10:30 ish. Perhaps your cab driver can do a tour for you to see some areas of town and spend some time pleasantly. Won't hurt to ask. Good luck.

Look at the costs... a cab from the port to the airport is $19 plus $1 per bag... AND you go when you are ready, dont need to wait for a full bus, dont need to wait for your bags at the airport !!

Steve

Has anyone used the air port transfer Celebrity offers from San Juan Cruise Port to the Airport? Would like to know approximately when we have to leave the ship. We have a late afternoon flight and hoping its not until 11 or 12. Thanks.

Did ship transfers the first time in San Juan and would never do it again. With ship transfers you wait until they have a bus load. Get a cab at the ship and you are at the airport in 20 minutes. Always a lot of cabs never a problem. Between $25 and $30 for 2 with bags.

You will be respectfully asked to disembark prior to 9 - 9:30 at the latest.

The ship bus transfers could start as early as 8.

This is not the optimum for you.

And, most airlines will not allow you to check bags earlier than 3 hours before your flight.

There is almost no seating in the terminal pre TSA. And the gate seating is very tight too.

You can visit Old San Juan and use the baggage hold at Barrachini's Restaurant. I think they are still doing this, they have for years. There are cabs available both at the port and in OSJ and Barrachini's will call a cab for you.

Do plan on checking in at least 2 1/2 hours before your flight if you are traveling to N. America.

We always hang around onboard until they kick us out, and then cab it to the airport. Unfortunately, flights from the mainland tend to arrive in the afternoon, so there are usually no good options. We have been on the tours (Bacardi's, rain forest, etc.) so many times we just don't want to pay the $$ for that anymore. Checking your bags at that restaurant is a good option I guess, but for us by then we are usually in traveling clothes, and don't really feel comfortable checking our valuables in our carry-ons like jewelry, cash, cameras, etc.., and don't want to carry them around either so we bite the bullet and go to the airport. Unlike some airports (such as FLL) we have never had a problem getting there early and getting checked in and into the waiting area. Agreed they are not all that large, but compared to years ago when we had to sprawl out on the floor, we can usually find seats.

First, Welcome to Cruise Critic. I see this is your first post.

Another vote from me to just take a cab on your own. X transfers are inconvenient and seems always more expensive.

Remember boarding of the next cruise usually starts around 11:30am. You will be long off the ship by then. Yes, figure you can stretch it out to about 10am.

Also on disembark day very little is functioning normally after 8am or so. You must vacate your cabin by 8. The pools won't be open, decks will be in process of cleaning etc. You will feel like they want you to get off!

Make other plans if you need to spend the day doing something.

You will be respectfully asked to disembark prior to 9 - 9:30 at the latest.

The ship bus transfers could start as early as 8.

This is not the optimum for you.

And, most airlines will not allow you to check bags earlier than 3 hours before your flight.

There is almost no seating in the terminal pre TSA. And the gate seating is very tight too.

You can visit Old San Juan and use the baggage hold at Barrachini's Restaurant. I think they are still doing this, they have for years. There are cabs available both at the port and in OSJ and Barrachini's will call a cab for you.

Do plan on checking in at least 2 1/2 hours before your flight if you are traveling to N. America.

We got off after 10 in Puerto Rico......

Remember (I always post this in case newbies are traveling). When you get to the airport head to the agriculture inspection with all your bags BEFORE going to airline checkin desk. If you goto airline desk they will just turn you away.

It doesn't take very long (and in my opinion is totally worthless...since after you leave the scanners you could add prohibited items to your bags) but there can be long lines at times.

Thanks. Will do tour or cab. If we do tour does our luggage stay with us?
On some cruises they offer the "Extend Your Stay" option where you can pay extra to remain on the ship longer that day.

Here is a link to an article about it

Celebrity Cruises launches ‘Extend Your Stay’ programme |

Personally, I never felt it was worth the price since you cannot keep your cabin but must vacate it by 9 am. and stay in the public areas of the ship after that until you disembark.

In many places you can get a day room at a hotel for the same price, or even less.

I would rather book a day room at a hotel instead (especially a beach hotel) if I had an evening flight, for the use of their pool and grounds and the private room to nap and shower.

But for an afternoon flight, it would hardly be worthwhile.

With an afternoon flight, I would rather take a tour.

When we took a ship's tour on disembarkation day at San Juan, they locked up all the luggage in an enclosed truck and gave us a claim stub for each bag we checked.

The passengers went off on our tour in a bus, and the truck took our luggage to the airport.

When we arrived at the airport that afternoon, our luggage had already been sorted out and was waiting for us in a separate, secure area, under supervision of a uniformed guard.

We were very pleased with the procedure they used, requiring people to show a claim stub for each bag so nobody else could walk off with your bags.

If that is the procedure they use regularly, I would have no hesitation about taking one of their tours on disembarkation day again if we have extra time to spare.

On some cruises they offer the "Extend Your Stay" option where you can pay extra to remain on the ship longer that day.

Here is a link to an article about it

Celebrity Cruises launches ‘Extend Your Stay’ programme |

Personally, I never felt it was worth the price since you cannot keep your cabin but must vacate it by 9 am. and stay in the public areas of the ship after that until you disembark.

In many places you can get a day room at a hotel for the same price, or even less.

I would rather book a day room at a hotel instead (especially a beach hotel) if I had an evening flight, for the use of their pool and grounds and the private room to nap and shower.

But for an afternoon flight, it would hardly be worthwhile.

With an afternoon flight, I would rather take a tour.

When we took a ship's tour on disembarkation day at San Juan, they locked up all the luggage in an enclosed truck and gave us a claim stub for each bag we checked.

The passengers went off on our tour in a bus, and the truck took our luggage to the airport.

When we arrived at the airport that afternoon, our luggage had already been sorted out and was waiting for us in a separate, secure area, under supervision of a uniformed guard.

We were very pleased with the procedure they used, requiring people to show a claim stub for each bag so nobody else could walk off with your bags.

If that is the procedure they use regularly, I would have no hesitation about taking one of their tours on disembarkation day again if we have extra time to spare.

Thanks for the info! We've never flown out of San Juan. Are all of the US airlines in the same area as the luggage pickup from the tour? Also, our flight is at 4:00pm. Do you know what time the ship's tours get to the airport?

Thanks. Will do tour or cab. If we do tour does our luggage stay with us?
No. As Fleckle posted, they keep it under guard at the airport ,which we preferred.

We took the El Yunque Rain Forest tour . We had bus issues but I'm sure this was just our bad luck.

Without these issues, it would have been a great plan and the price was quite reasonable.

This state forest was very beautiful and run by the US Forest Park Service, which may be back in business by the time of your cruise.:D

We arrived at the airport as promised, on time with our bags waiting for us. Great way of spending the day waiting for our flight.

We've done the Summit out of San Juan for years but always disembarked and took a cab to the airport. Now, United tells us our flight doesn't leave until nearly 6 PM and we wonder whether we can check/send bags to the airport when we exit the terminal upon disembarkation (seems I remember some folks doing that off to the left but never paid attention to it)? We'd love to just head to a hotel and "kill" the rest of the day in comfort with a nice lunch instead of the tour bus routine. Any info on checking luggage at the pier upon disembarking???? Thanks in advance...:)

We've done the Summit out of San Juan for years but always disembarked and took a cab to the airport. Now, United tells us our flight doesn't leave until nearly 6 PM and we wonder whether we can check/send bags to the airport when we exit the terminal upon disembarkation (seems I remember some folks doing that off to the left but never paid attention to it)? We'd love to just head to a hotel and "kill" the rest of the day in comfort with a nice lunch instead of the tour bus routine. Any info on checking luggage at the pier upon disembarking???? Thanks in advance...:)

We have taken our luggage and cabbed to the Intercontinental. They had an area to put the luggage. We spent the day at their beach/restaurant and caught a short cab ride to the airport. Not the easiest but the time at the Hotel was enjoyable. Especially when we headed back to winter in Ohio.

We did Summit out of San Juan in Jan. 2012.

We did Celebrity's SJ12 tour "Old San Juan Walking tour with airport drop-off," which worked out just fine for us.

We left the ship at 9am, took a comfortable coach to Old San Juan, had a nice walking tour, reboarded the coach and went to the airport. Our luggage was already at the airport, ready for us to begin the agricultural inspection, baggage check-in and security process. We had just enough time to get lunch at Subway and then head to the gate for our 2:25pm flight.

So I'm correct in assuming that there's no way to check our luggage at Pan Amer. pier through to United when we disembark? (The United site does not give you any info. re: this and we've never had to do it before!)...I'm leaning toward returning to our pre-cruise hotel and waiting out the day there as opposed to a tour or sitting in the San Juan airport (even though they have spruced things up quite a bit in the last year or two!)...any other suggestions out there?

So I'm correct in assuming that there's no way to check our luggage at Pan Amer. pier through to United when we disembark? (The United site does not give you any info. re: this and we've never had to do it before!)...I'm leaning toward returning to our pre-cruise hotel and waiting out the day there as opposed to a tour or sitting in the San Juan airport (even though they have spruced things up quite a bit in the last year or two!)...any other suggestions out there?

Last time we were there in 2011 the counters were there but they have not had bag check for 4 or 5 years.

Archived