What's the least amount of shoes you have brought on a cruise?

I take three pairs, one pair of dressy sandals, flip flops, casual sandals and wear my athletic shoes.....I haven't really figured out why. We keep saying that we are going to go and work out, but we never do. I'm sure I will probably still wear them though....flying from DC in December will be cold and open toe shoes will not do it for me! :eek:

We'll be gone for just under a month for our next cruise, a 13 nighter, with rome precruise & a week in Paris post cruise, which, in December, will probably be chilly so I'm changing up what I usually bring shoe wise. I'll be taking tall black boots, black ballet flats (wear on plane), black rainbow sandals, (for pool on sea days) flat black dress sandals for on the ship, & my ecco yarrahs so this will actually be the most I've ever brought, but the three flat pairs are so light & thin, they take up no room at all. I actually weighed my ballet flats, they weigh about 6 oz. :)

What I usually take is this- One pair of dress shoes (heels) that coordinate with all my evening outfits. (Usually either black, nude or metallic.) One pair of dressy sandals that I can wear day or evening (metallic). One pair of flip flops for pool, beach, spa, etc. One pair of sneakers for gym, track, excursions, etc. This seems to work fine for me and I make sure all shoes are comfy and broken in. That being said, I have been known to sneak in another pair of shoes if there's extra room in my suitcase when I'm done packing. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a big deal for me. SHOES! I LOVE shoes! Last trip I brought 8 pairs and never wore 3 of them. This cruise I am bringing 4. Stilettos, flats, water shoes and sandals. I need the water shoes for snorkeling so I HAVE to bring them. Stilettos for formal night. It was so hard bringing only one pair but I bought a black pair with silver studs on the heels that go with all my outfits. Sandals that I can carry in my purse. We are in Florida 3 days before the cruise and are going to the mall and I might buy more shoes.

When we go for walks in the morning I will just wear flats instead of bringing runners that take up a lot of room.

I am bringing three pairs of shoes total, including what I wear on the ship.

1. Dressy gunmetal wedge sandals for evening and day.

2. Teva sandals, you can wear them instead of flip flops and water shoes, they are non-slip so you can wear them on hikes too. For anyone with foot issues, I recommend them highly! There is now a company outlet in Orlando. :D

3. Sneakers

DH and DS are each bringing three pairs total as well.

I'm going to try my best to do a one bag trip this time. We are set for a 7 nt W. Carib with 4 additional days going to NOLA afterwards. I really only want to bring two pairs, but I think I may have to do three.

One pair of heels for formal

One pair of flats that can be casual or dressed up if my feet hurt from heels

One pair of flip flops for beach/pool/walking.

I want to eliminate the flats, but I don't think it's wise and they don't take up much room. My heels take up the most room, but I can't not take those.

How about you? What's the least, and heck, what's the most amount of shoes you have brought on a cruise? :)

My luggage was 40 pounds overweight at the airport the last time we cruised. DH thought it was because of my shoes. I think I packed 7 pair. I think the real problem was that I purchased new luggage (larger than my previous set) and so I felt like I wasn't properly prepared until I had to sit on it to close it. :o

At the airport we had to shift things around...remove things from my bag and put them in DS and DH's bag which was severely underweight in my opinion. ;)It was that or pay 100 extra for every certain amount of pounds we were over. DH was totally embarrassed and my son looked pretty :eek: as well to see me open my suitcase and expose my unmentionables to the world. :o

I won't humiliate my family this year. My DH has condemned me to 4 pairs of choose so I'm trying to choose carefully. I probably only wore 3 pair the entire time I was on the ship last year.

Three including the pair on my feet was the least.

My next cruise I'll pack a pair of beach sandals/flip flops, a pair of reef shoes, and a pair of dressy flats. I'll wear my sports sandals or sneakers on the plane.

• 4 weeks later...
I am going the wrong way. I started my planning with 10 pairs and then upped it to 11. I am now at 13. Ohhhh, that might be an unlucky number. Maybe I need another pair.:eek:

I am a shoe whore so I ALWAYS pack too many shoes - I think this summer when we did 12 days plus 2 pre-cruise I had about 10 pairs. My biggest issue is I LOVE my heels but it depends on how I feel - hip or back pain, etc. - as to what shoes I can wear. This summer I mainly wore my keds or black flat mules (I had 2 different pairs). The only sneakers I take are my keds - I have slip on and tie ones - yes I take both. so 2 keds, 2 black flats, flip flops, 5 different evening shoes and another pair or 2.

As we are driving to Florida for the December cruise - 2 cars - 4 drivers and 2 16 year olds - even though only 7 day cruise may take close to the same. As some days I am able to wear my 3+ inch heel dress shoes and on a different nite I may only be able to manage the 1 inch dress shoe. This summer my hip was so bad on formal nights I walked to the dining room in my gown and flip flops and right before we went into the MDR I put on my high heels and held on to Roger to avoid falling :)

Sharon

Three for me is the norm (including what I wear on the plane): flat gold sandals, Chaco sandals, Vibram five-fingers. I can hold them all in one hand, so they don't take up much space at all.

The least I've ever taken was the single pair of boots that I wore backpacking around Scotland.

So I ended up taking four. My sneakers, flats, heels, and flip flops. I almost didn't bring my sneakers but bf looked at me like I was stupid when I said that, so I brought them. Good thing bc it got cold and rainy in NOLA, and my flats wouldn't have cut it.

Actually should have left the heels at home. Only wore them once for one formal night and bf hates formal nights.

I am a shoes whore as well. I must have over a hundred pairs of shoes and I have to admit, I have a expensive tastes. I was at Saks in New York and now I am in Paris to buy the latest designers shoes and handbags. My daughters always jokes, if I sell all my shoes and handbags they each could have a BMW. Yes, it is a expensive habit; but I cannot take it with me, so I might well enjoy it :D.

Anyway, I will be going on a 96 days world cruise next year. I am not going to take as much as I did the last three cruises. Perhaps 15 pairs.

Happy cruising :)

M

I am not a shoe slut, but I am a boot slut (how many women do you know who own 6 different pairs of SOREL boots for winter!!!). Since boots don't readily translate to cruise footwear, it is pretty easy to reduce what I wear. I don't do stripy, I don't do bejeweled, and I don't do heels (the heels part is because of a medical thing) I always take my trusty black Jambu predecessor to their now Water Diva style. It's a nice cross between a shoe and a sandal. It goes to the beach, in the water, strolling in town, at the pool, and, horrors of horrors, at every dinner onboard. These shoes basically go with me on every trip, cruise or land. Then, what else I bring is dependent on the circumstances. If I'm going snorkeling, I have my dive booties that I'll bring (not shoes, but a neoprene "sock" that I wear with my fins). If I'm hiking, my Goretex hiking boots go with me. If I think I'll have time to put in some workouts, my trail runners go with me (can double as lightweight hiking shoes if it's not intense). My last trip was a land trip to Rome, Florence and Paris. I took my Jambus and my new Steve Madden black engineer boots. Wore the boots on the plane. Wore them with my Little Black Travel Dress in the evening (think of what Porthopper posted earlier, but with these boots instead of hers).

I'm not a "fashion" person, I'll admit. I'm definitely more of a function person.

• 2 years later...

Jeanne your shoe mishaps remind me of some of mine. On our first cruise in 1978 the dress guidelines were more dressy less casual. Now I wear what I want. On the first port call in Bermuda we each rented mope heads. I got the break and clutch mixed up and could not stop. So I put my feet down and the soles of my espadrilles peeled half way up (it did not stop so I jump off, much to the surprise of my husband). We were in the country side so I put bandaids on them to keep the soles up so I could walk. We looked everywhere for a replacement pair, no luck. On our British Isles cruise, pre-cruise in London, my feet swelled so much only my flats, flip flops and sandals would fit over my feet. I had to rip out the lining of my flats so I could wear them. On our first port while getting off the bus the guy in line in front of me stepped back and almost broke my toe. So now I'm down to sandals and flip flops (x-ray not broken but nail came off).So I've learned my lesson and bring an extra pair or 2 of shoes.