Dining at the Captain's table

tourmaline

We've been invited a number of times on various cruise lines. The best and only enjoyable one was on Princess when we dined every night with the captain, a delightful Italian. More recently, we attended twice on Celebrity and DW and I agree that should a third invitation be offered, we would politely turn it down.

On my last cruise on the Summit we were invited to sit at the Captain's Table. It truly was a lovely experience and one I would like to see my father and grandmother enjoy as well. I can honestly tell you that I have never been so grateful for my parents and grandmother drilling proper manners into my head.

What I can tell you about getting chosen is that you do not need to be a male/female duo to be invited as I was cruising with my mom. We were also sailing in an inside cabin that we booked about two months before the cruise. My mom is elite, while I am select so I don't know what difference that may or may not have made. I agree with the many posters that it comes down to personality and being nice. While I love my mother and she loves me, we both know that if we don't talk to others we will kill each other. So we took the time to get to know different people on board, both passengers and crew. It made for a wonderful cruise experience on so many levels. So my advice if you would like to sit at the Captain's Table is to be nice to everyone. In truth it is a great theory for life as you never know where it can take you.

Happy Sailing!

We have been invited many times. Four times when we were in the Penthouse, and several other times as well. We always, however, travel with friends, usually two or four, so we politely turn down the invitation. If we ever travel alone, we may take up the offer, however, it is not really our cup of tea. We would rather eat with our good friends or at a table for two. Just our preference.

We have been invited many times. Four times when we were in the Penthouse, and several other times as well. We always, however, travel with friends, usually two or four, so we politely turn down the invitation. If we ever travel alone, we may take up the offer, however, it is not really our cup of tea. We would rather eat with our good friends or at a table for two. Just our preference.

You could be missing out. We became good friends with two other couples we met on our first Captain's Table.

Sue

Wow! I'm very impressed, we would love to be invited. The stories and tales the officers of a ship must be so interesting. My nephew is a "pilot" for ships in Alaska and he and his family are invited for dinners with the ships officers from time to time. He has some great stories to tell!

I've said this before, but since there may be some new members:

The table host may wish to invite certain people

HQ May want to invite some people

The most frequent cruiser on the cruise is usually invited

The second and third cruisers might be invited to a table, but rarely with the Captain

PH passengers are usually invited

Royal Suites may be invited

People celebrating a special event like a 50th anniversary may be invited

A top cruiser from another line might be invited

The Captain's Club Host/Hostess will invite people to fill the table. They look for people who they judge to be interesting and a good mix. They want people who demonstrate a sense of humor. Your cruising record and cabin category is not of primary concern to the Captain's Club Host/Hostess. They will tell you that an invitation is not a listed Elite benefit.Good looking, young females if the host is a younger male or wants to feel like a younger male can yield an invitation.

There are usually 4 tables on a 7 day cruise. Usually hosted by the Captain (first formal night, late seating)' the Staff Captain, the Chief Engineer, the Hotal Director. Others, such as GRM and Asst Chief Engineer may also host tables if there are more formal nights. They sometimes have a table for non formal nights.

Here I get into trouble, but truth is truth. Where you are seated idepends largely on your ranking. The most important passangers sits to the right of the host. If the host is male, a female would be seated to his right. If host is female, a male would be seated to her right. Those seated at the left of the host are the second most important. "Important" means to the company or host.

It is considered rude to ask for an invitation

I've been to more than 25 tables and I can assure you that the formula mentioned is the formula used on all ships. Feel free to shoot the messenger.

"O", as always, got this 100% correct!

We've been invited 11 times (had to decline two of those); we are elite, but usually have an inside cabin. Always first seating with one of the staff captains. Great experience. :)

Kel

Wow! I'm very impressed, we would love to be invited. The stories and tales the officers of a ship must be so interesting. My nephew is a "pilot" for ships in Alaska and he and his family are invited for dinners with the ships officers from time to time. He has some great stories to tell!

Be aware that the table is a long one, so bring the binoculars from your cabin if you care to see your tablemates at the far end. Conversation with them is impossible without a bullhorn. The host will undoubtedly be polite, but it's a toss up as to whether you'll hear any interesting stories. Our first CT was on one of the old Celebrity ships years ago. It was brutal. The captain was accompanied by two of his officers, and, believe me, they were bored with a capital B. Why not? How many times had they gone through this routine? I wasn't particularly pleased, either, as the meal that night was excellent and as a much younger man, I would have gone for seconds had propriety not entered into the picture.:p The CT on Princess was the same three couples plus the captain, seated at a round table where conversation was actually possible. I really think all seven of us enjoyed the company. In fact after the cruise, DW and I were grabbing a hamburger at LAX when we heard our names called. We turned around to find the captain who was on his way home to Florida. We still talk about that on occasion. But by all means do attend, should the offer be made. Just don't get your hopes up too high. It is a nice experience, not to be missed. One time:D

Sailed the Summit this past June and the previous June, in the same RS both times and had invites to the Capt's table each time.

I'll venture to guess the first time was because of the suite and also that we were celebrating our 30th anniversary. We at first turned down the invitation because we were with friends who were staying in a Sky suite and felt bad to go and leave them to dine on their own on a formal evening. When we explained to the hostess (it was Aurora) she said to give her a couple of days and if she had a cancellation she would be glad to extend the invite to our friends. We told her to please not worry about it, it wasn't that big a deal to us, but she was so persistant about not missing the evening. As promised, guests in the penthouse declined and our friends were invited.

The first seating was hosted by the Chief Engineer and I sat to his right with my husband next to me and our friends directly across with my girlfriend to the left of the other officer host.

I'll say it is a nice evening of dinner and conversation, but a tad uncomfortable. First off, the Capt's table is directly in front of the huge windows that are at the aft of the ship. The sun that evening was beating intensely through making it feel like 150 degrees sitting there. The Chief Engineer was dripping sweat! He wasn't a very talkative man, and with his heavy accent it was difficult to understand him.

Everything is super formal, which isn't really my cup of tea. My husband was dying to have more then one appetizer, but felt it rude to ask while seated here.

The complimentary roses for the ladies, and the table photos are a nice touch.

We did meet some very fun people that evening who wound up hanging out with us and our friends most of the cruise.

This June when the invitation arrived for the second formal evening for my husband, myself and our son, we politely declined.

By all means, if you're invited, go, enjoy, have fun, it's something you won't soon forget!

Be aware that the table is a long one, so bring the binoculars from your cabin if you care to see your tablemates at the far end. Conversation with them is impossible without a bullhorn. The host will undoubtedly be polite, but it's a toss up as to whether you'll hear any interesting stories. Our first CT was on one of the old Celebrity ships years ago. It was brutal. The captain was accompanied by two of his officers, and, believe me, they were bored with a capital B. Why not? How many times had they gone through this routine?

I guess we have been lucky to be seated in the center and across from the Captain during our dinners. All of the Captains have been especially nice, as well as an environmental officer that we were seated next to at one table. We have never felt uncomfortable and have been able to hear most of the conversations around us. :)

We were invited on only our second cruise, on Mariner of the Seas. We had booked the Owner's Suite and for some reason there was a problem with our MDR table assignment that took a few days to resolve. I am convinced that the Head Waiter arranged for us to sit at the Captain's Table to make up for that snafu.

I sat next to the captain and had a lovely time! It was really an experience to remember!

ETA: Sorry, came here from the main page and didn't realize I was on the Celebrity board! Carry on!

Edited by mlk58

When I was young and cute and a TA....I almost always was invited....now that I'm Old and not a TA....haven't been invited in over 10 years...

Sandy

Going back a couple of decades hubby and I were regulars at CT on Princess. We were not staying in suites, only balcony cabins booked w/Amex Platinum that did open many doors when we traveled. At that time I think D/R manger scouted for invitees as we used to laugh that it always seemed to be the youngest blonds along with husband or SO who seemed to be invited to dine with Captain. The tables were round and we had many very entertaining conversations and even were invited to Captains quarters for cocktails on other evenings. Most memorable dinner conversation was with Captain who was from UK but had home in CA a few estates down from OJ and it was during the trial... fact or fiction it was entertaining.

I think Sandy's insight is certainly part of the equation on some Celebrity ships since we notice that a fair percentage are younger than the average passenger and cute. I don't believe being in a Suite or having Elite status is a guarantee at all for an invitation. We have been asked a few times (and not necessarily when we were in RS or CS) but we don't find the long table as congenial so we have politely declined the last 2 times so hopefully that leaves a couple chairs available for those who want the experience and FYI don't plan on making it to show before it starts :o) But if you are new to cruising and are invited; go and enjoy as you are in a very small percentage of the passengers who are able to dine with the Captain or Officers. You may even consider putting a dollar in the slot machine just in case your luck continues! Bobbi

ps for what it is worth, the other noticeable trait is other guests we have dined with at any Officers table have been congenial and have an upbeat personality. Never have we noticed any whiners, complainers or anyone with a woe is me attitude.

We are neither young, blond or cute! I am a 56 year old woman with a 61 year old DH.

We were invited on only our second cruise, on Mariner of the Seas.

ETA: Sorry, came here from the main page and didn't realize I was on the Celebrity board! Carry on!

That's alright. :D Celebrity, RCCL...doesn't matter. We dined with the Captain on the Adventure....Captain Johnny. Were also invited to his cabin and then the bridge.

We are Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean and have sailed several times on Celebrity. We've sailed over 350 nights in the last eight years. We have never, ever been given an invitation to the Captain's Table. We have never won the lottery either. Both events seem equally hard to achieve...at least for us.

Funny you should say that about the lottery and combine that with the comment above about the slots. On our last cruise when we dined with the Captain, I also won a bit of money at the slots. Told my husband that we should go home and buy a lottery ticket (never done that, and didn't buy it) because we sure were having good luck. And I believe that's what it's all about...the luck of the draw! ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

We were invited for the first time on our Century Alaska cruise this summer - we're not Elite and stayed in an inside cabin (and not young or cute!), so I can only guess that we were "fillers". We were pleasantly surprised to find that the invitation included our 11-year-old son. First seating, hosted by the Staff Captain and the HR Director, it was a wonderful experience. The officers and guests were all gracious and interesting, and we met some real "characters" - it was not overly formal, very relaxed - the highlight of our cruise. Also nice to continue discussions with the officers as we saw them later in the cruise.

That is interesting that your son was invited. The first time that my DH and I were invited to dine with the Captain, we were traveling with my parents and 3 teen/college age children. We were the only 2 invited, so we declined the invitation. :(

BTW - You look young and cute in your photo! :)

We are traveling on the cruise for my in- laws 50th Wedding Anniversary. I would love to get them an invite to dine at the Captain's Table. What would be the best strategy to try to arrange that? Whom should I ask?

Thanks!

Some might suggest that you speak to the Captain's Club Host/hostess. However that can be counter productive since many resent anyone asking and ignore any request. First, contact you TA and let them know about the special event. A call directly to Celebrity might also work. They would consider your request and would direct the Host/Hostess to issue an invitation. I know that this has been done with some people celebrating a special event at some of the tables I've attended.

Edited by Orator

Well, my DH and I are new to cruising( second cruise coming up on Nov 1, 2014), and I wondered how the process went for sitting with the Captain at dinner. Of course, it would not matter to me if we ever got an invitation. Our first cruise we sat with two other couples who's personalities matched ours and we all had a blast every night. One gentleman was an ex-secret service agent and we got some tales out of him. We closed down the dining room every night. What fun we had!!

How do you find the "Host(ess)", where is he/she hanging around? I only remember the captain's club host and the cruise director.

We are nice to everyone but I would really like to know who this person is that can invite you.

However, I think we are too young to get an invitation to this table...

How do you find the "Host(ess)", where is he/she hanging around? I only remember the captain's club host and the cruise director.

We are nice to everyone but I would really like to know who this person is that can invite you.

However, I think we are too young to get an invitation to this table...

The Hostess is the Captain's Club Hostess.Attends Elite events. On S Class ships office on Deck 5 port side. Usually on deck 3 on M Class ships near Guest Relations/