Where's the Lobster?

OK, just returned from a 4 day on the Majesty of the Seas and I was a bit disappointed to find out that there is no lobster on formal night. You could purchase a steak and lobster dinner any night (for $40) but wasn't offered as a "standard menu item" otherwise.

Now I've never done a 4 day cruise before and I've only sailed once before on Royal but I don't EVER remember not having lobster offered on formal night. In fact the last Carnival cruise I was on, someone ate 18 lobsters in one sitting. Is it just Royal or is that standard for short cruises???

We just did a 17 day cruise and NO lobster any night, and we had 3 formal nights. I am not going to pay $40.00 extra, when the price of lobster has dropped way down. Got 2 more cruises booked, Feb. & Oct. and I hope to see it then.:o

We just did a 17 day cruise and NO lobster any night, and we had 3 formal nights. I am not going to pay $40.00 extra, when the price of lobster has dropped way down. Got 2 more cruises booked, Feb. & Oct. and I hope to see it then.:o

$9/10 bucks a pound here on Long Island at the local fish market. I don't think that I want to see another lobster for a few months.......lol.

You're really not missing anything. At lobster night on the Allure, I found the whole thing overrated. I love lobster and it was a bit of a letdown. They only give you a small lobster tail that was lacking any real flavor.

Don't take me wrong as I'm not complaining because overall I had an amazing cruise experience. This is more of an observation.

You're really not missing anything. At lobster night on the Allure, I found the whole thing overrated. I love lobster and it was a bit of a letdown. They only give you a small lobster tail that was lacking any real flavor.

Don't take me wrong as I'm not complaining because overall I had an amazing cruise experience. This is more of an observation.

It's an improvement (larger) over what they used to serve.

On my 7 night cruise aboard Oasis a couple weeks ago it was served on the 2nd formal night. Like others have said it is called the Fisherman's Platter. It wasn't as good as I've had in the past and fairly smaller. The shrimps it came with were also a lot smaller than I've had in the past.

IMG_1212_zps195b41e4.jpg

On Royal, lobster is only served on cruises 7 nights or longer. I think I have also read that it is not offered on European cruises.

You are correct that it is not offered on the main menu at n/c on European cruises, but you are incorrect in that it is offered on US based cruised of 5 nights and longer, not 7 or longer.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

$9/10 bucks a pound here on Long Island at the local fish market. I don't think that I want to see another lobster for a few months.......lol.

Wow - it's only $5.99 here in NJ. My friend in Maine gets it right on the docks for $3.99. In both cases, they will steam it for you at no extra charge (could never bring myself to actually kill one).

Our experience is the same as other posters - the Fisherman's Platter (lobster tail & shrimp) is on the menu on the 2nd formal night. We've never see it on the menu for 3 or 4 night cruises, as these just have one formal night. (We've never done a 5 nighter so don't know about those!)

On Royal, lobster is only served on cruises 7 nights or longer. I think I have also read that it is not offered on European cruises.

It is NOT offered on the Mediterranean cruise for sure as I just got off that itinerary and was looking for it every night. I talked to a waiter about it and he mentioned either getting or storing was an issue for European cruises as hey typically get Maine Lobsters to serve. He said everyone asks what happened to Lobster night.

I talked to a waiter about it and he mentioned either getting or storing was an issue for European cruises as hey typically get Maine Lobsters to serve. .

The only way those lobster tails on the fisherman's platter got anywhere near Maine is if it was a New England cruise!

Usually, lobstertail is served on longer, Caribbean/American cruises.....you won't find a whole lobster! It's normally a rock lobster...not quite the same as a Maine Lobstertail!

Oh, well....it's not a huge deal.

You can find lobstertails in any grocery store....they are quite easy to cook!

OK, just returned from a 4 day on the Majesty of the Seas and I was a bit disappointed to find out that there is no lobster on formal night. You could purchase a steak and lobster dinner any night (for $40) but wasn't offered as a "standard menu item" otherwise.

Now I've never done a 4 day cruise before and I've only sailed once before on Royal but I don't EVER remember not having lobster offered on formal night. In fact the last Carnival cruise I was on, someone ate 18 lobsters in one sitting. Is it just Royal or is that standard for short cruises???

If they ate 18 then I will suggest that they were crayfish and not Lobster...just an opinion from an atlantic fisherman....

Wow - it's only $5.99 here in NJ. My friend in Maine gets it right on the docks for $3.99. In both cases, they will steam it for you at no extra charge (could never bring myself to actually kill one).

Wow, the only time I have seen it that low is around August/September when they are starting to molt. Soft shell lobsters are mostly water and don't have much meat until the shell hardens up.

Thank you everyone for your great responses.

I know this 4 day was a cut rate cruise and I had little expectation that I would be WOWED by the food and while I consider myself to be an experienced cruiser it just goes to show how little I actually do know.

Of course the problem was...I had shot my mouth off about how great the formal dinner was with lobster and what not to the first timers at our table on this cruise...only we didn't...but the crow was tasty...

Wow, the only time I have seen it that low is around August/September when they are starting to molt. Soft shell lobsters are mostly water and don't have much meat until the shell hardens up.

It was September and she treated a bunch of us to lobster rolls that weekend. She will only use claw and tail meat. Too good. I don't like ripping the critters apart so usually just get tails if I'm cooking myself. More expensive but often get specials around the holidays.