It's too early for CHRISTMAS music!!

wrp96

"I thought I was just imagining it yesterday in the dining room, but it was loud and clear in the Solarium this morning."

As long as I was in the Solarium on a cruise ship, I wouldn't care WHAT kind of music I was listening to!!

Having Christmas merchandise out early is not something new. It has been happening for over 40 years. My first job, back in 1970 was for a major retail store in Pittsburgh, Pa, known then as Kaufmann's. Today, it known as Macy's. The Christmas decoration department,s that I worked in, opened up on November 1 of each year.

On another note, one if not two of the local radio stations in the Detroit, Michigan area switch to "all Christmas music" beginning November 1st. My only complaint is that they stop playing it December 25. I think they should switch to all Christmas music a little later in November, and continue it to at least January 1st.

I haven't heard any Christmas music on our local stations (Detroit area) yet this year and since I have been out Christmas shopping I wouldn't mind it.

We've got several houses in our area who took down their Halloween decorations over the weekend - and put up their Christmas lights! I guess they just wanted to deal with changing decorations once!

Our Christmas decorations were up long before that. Actually they were never taken down from last year.:D

Out of respect, I propose that no Christmans music should be played at the retail level until AFTER Remembrance Day (Veterans Day in the USA).

And, believe me, I am a Christmas music fanatic - can't get enough (during the proper season)

As a fellow Canadian I agree.

Well multiple people have commented in front of me about the too early Christmas music so I'm not the only one onboard that thinks that way.

But I see some of you don't agree so I guess that means I need to spend more time in the spa since it's not playing there.;):p:D

Don't get me wrong. I love Sleigh Ride, I'll Be Home for Christmas, etc

But NOT the first week in November. :rolleyes: I thought I was just imagining it yesterday in the dining room, but it was loud and clear in the Solarium this morning.

Can we please wait until after (US) Thanksgiving?

Refuse to read rest of thread in case someone tries to defend it. Until Santa makes his appearance in the Macy's Day parade, Christmas has not begun.

Out of respect, I propose that no Christmans music should be played at the retail level until AFTER Remembrance Day (Veterans Day in the USA).

And, believe me, I am a Christmas music fanatic - can't get enough (during the proper season)

After Nov. 11 th is fine. Although I am practicing a few carols for the pubs.

On another note, one if not two of the local radio stations in the Detroit, Michigan area switch to "all Christmas music" beginning November 1st. My only complaint is that they stop playing it December 25. I think they should switch to all Christmas music a little later in November, and continue it to at least January 1st.

I agree! We have some stations here that do the same. It does bother me when it just STOPS at 12:01am December 26. That's only the second day of Christmas!

We've got several houses in our area who took down their Halloween decorations over the weekend - and put up their Christmas lights! I guess they just wanted to deal with changing decorations once!

There are four houses on my street with Christmas lights up. They were up before Halloween. At least I know that it's not just Florida where this happens. I love Christmas, and have come to expect it early on the retail level, but not on my neighbors houses already! However I am looking forward to it in two days at Disney World because we are taking our little grandson. And now I guess I will be hearing the music on the Oasis next week. Fa la la.

There are four houses on my street with Christmas lights up. They were up before Halloween. At least I know that it's not just Florida where this happens. I love Christmas, and have come to expect it early on the retail level, but not on my neighbors houses already! However I am looking forward to it in two days at Disney World because we are taking our little grandson. And now I guess I will be hearing the music on the Oasis next week. Fa la la.

Well they decorated the Magic Kingdom last night. When I got into work today they were piping in the Christmas Music. Also the first Christmas Party on Friday is Sold Out as well.

Cruise ship horns,

Cruise ship horns,

Cruise ships all the way!

Oh, what fun it is to cruise,

On any random day-ay!

Cruise ship horns,

Cruise ship horns,

Cruise ships all the way!

Oh, what fun it is to cruise,

On any random day!

(I'm available to change any holiday song to something more palatable around these parts.) :p:eek:

Now you have done it. I am volunteering by packing Toys for needy children this Fall. All i can think about is "Cruise Ship Horns" now. lol:D:D

Edited by Folk Singer

The last week of November through the first week of January would seem appropriate; but if they are playing it now and people like it that's fine. I don't particularly care for it because I associate it with crowded retail environments, but it doesn't bother me one bit if others are enjoying it and getting into the holiday mood.

I was going to let this go, but my curiosity is winning out. I'm curious as to why you're tying the two of these (Christmas and Veteran's day) together? I'm struggling to see what one has to do with the other.

I'm not trying to be snarky, I really want to understand your point of view. I just don't see how listening to Christmas music before Veteran's day is disrespectful to veterans.

I would MUCH prefer to just fast forward to 1/2/2014 and skip everything in between.

Saying this in not my favorite time of the year is an understatement.

You dislike it so much that you'd be willing to scrap 1/6th of a year?

I'm sure you have your reasons for not liking this time of year, but that boggles my mind.

Time is the true currency of life.