New C&A Status Coming Soon - Sapphire?

Annefran

This is how I would envision an impactful update to levels:

* Initial status for signing up BEFORE the 1st cruise (encourages people to get into the C&A system ASAP (good for marketing).

* Gold at 5

* Platinum at 25

* Emerald at 50

* "Ruby" or another name at 75

* Start Diamond at 100. Then add a "+" for 200,300,400 (Up to 4 +'s).

* Next Pinnacle at 500. Then add a "+" for 600,700,800,900 (Up to 4 +'s).

* New named level at 1000. Then add "+" for 1250,1500,1750,2000+

* Another named level can be added if needed in the future.

Doing the +'s at the higher levels reminds me of ranks in the military and I think that would be pretty neat.

From an incentive perspective, having more levels gives people more of a reason to book more frequently. Whether we like to admit it or not, it is human nature to want to move up. It is why many marketing/rewards programs have levels in the first place. To get people to buy/use their product/service more. I personally want RCCL to be around for a long time and keep innovating the industry. Customer loyalty is the key to keeping marketing costs down and more C&A benefits coming. Go RCCL!

Lots of free time on your hands.....:rolleyes:

Much too reasonable and intelligent to generate any discussion.

Notice that immediately after your post, people went right back to complaining and rejiggering.

But I like it. :)

hurray_1.jpg

Sometimes we agree, other times we don't, on this one we are 100% in sync....K.O.....:);)

Are there really people that are impressed with an "officer's dinner" or that bathroom amenities (that they previously provided, but took), or another free glass of wine is an incentive to spend thousands more on cruises? or that it makes them feel more "special" than the other passengers on board?

The officer assigned to have dinner with you isn't having dinner with you by choice or because he finds you interesting. The bathroom amenities are something I can bring myself that suit my particular tastes. If I'm spending thousands on a vacation, I can afford the drinks and the "freebie" in the grand scheme of things is pretty small and trivial. I appreciate getting the Diamond discount on a balcony and I use the discount on the wash and fold, but that amounts to a total of about $265. While I don't throw it back in their face, it's not a deal breaker or maker. Shampoo and dinner with a stranger, not of my choosing would certainly not be an incentive to sail or to be loyal to Royal. I'd prefer they skip all this and just increase the discount with the number of cruises that matches the value. They give the other discounts/coupons knowing that only a certain number of them will actually be used.

Are there really people that are impressed with an "officer's dinner" or that bathroom amenities (that they previously provided, but took), or another free glass of wine is an incentive to spend thousands more on cruises? or that it makes them feel more "special" than the other passengers on board?

The officer assigned to have dinner with you isn't having dinner with you by choice or because he finds you interesting. The bathroom amenities are something I can bring myself that suit my particular tastes. If I'm spending thousands on a vacation, I can afford the drinks and the "freebie" in the grand scheme of things is pretty small and trivial. I appreciate getting the Diamond discount on a balcony and I use the discount on the wash and fold, but that amounts to a total of about $265. While I don't throw it back in their face, it's not a deal breaker or maker. Shampoo and dinner with a stranger, not of my choosing would certainly not be an incentive to sail or to be loyal to Royal. I'd prefer they skip all this and just increase the discount with the number of cruises that matches the value. They give the other discounts/coupons knowing that only a certain number of them will actually be used.

I am certain the officers have duties they enjoy and duties they do not enjoy. Do they want to share a meal with "valued guests"? Maybe some enjoy it though others may not. Earlier this year, we shared a lovely meal with an engineer on another line; an extrovert in a technical job, he seemed happy to be there. He was also said he was happy to be off duty for the rest of the night, so he could enjoy the wine; he said on a prior cruise, his first dinner with guests preceded a shift, so no wine then.

A certain number of people do not use the discounts that appeal to you. Some people book inside or OV cabins, so an increased balcony discount is meaningless to them. Some people never send laundry (packed enough, protective of clothing, dislike detergent, whatever). Though dedicated lounges seems to mean little to you, the above folks might really enjoy the DL or CL. By offering a variety of amenities, perhaps the cruise line is trying to please a variety of people while fully aware only a certain number will use any particular discounts/coupons/offer/etc. I hope they continue to offer a variety amenities to their varied loyalty members.

I'm curious and this is a serious question...Do they (have they) surveyed the members of C&A to determine what things they value and would appeal to them and encourage them to continue to focus on sailing RCI exclusively (or almost exclusively)?

Maybe it is because we are lowly Gold members and have only spent just under $20k with them but we have never seen a survey. Seems to me good business/customer relations would dictate that you actually ask the people involved what they like.

Much too reasonable and intelligent to generate any discussion.

Notice that immediately after your post, people went right back to complaining and rejiggering.

But I like it. :)

hurray_1.jpg

ha,ha,ha looking forward to meeting up with you on the IOS TA. :)

I think that many will agree that one of the most attractive features of any C&A level is the balcony discount. Do you all feel that C&A should restructure the balcony discounts, and if so, how? They didn't when they added PC level.

As you can see below, that depending on number of nights, there is a only $25 difference in discount between D - D+/PC.

Diamond Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:

$125* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$225* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$325* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$325* for sailings of 15+ nights

Diamond Plus & Pinnacle Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:

$150* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$250* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$350* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$350* for sailings of 15+ nights

Edited by cruisenfever

Sometimes it's just as simple as knowing your business is appreciated. I won't get into the value (or lack of any) of the various perks at any of the C&A tier levels, but I can speak from experience that a simple "thank you for coming in" at a retail store is noticed and appreciated. It gives me a nice feeling and can influence my future decisions on whether or not to return.

I think most of us here will agree that we love the overall experience RCL provides and that is the major reason we keep coming back. Being thanked (whether it is verbal or by providing perks) is a bonus. I certainly won't turn down any material things that are offered, but the only perks that might actually sway me when I am considering competing options are those that actually save me money.

But that's just me. I am sure there are people who would choose RCL over another line just for the chance to dine with an officer or one of the other non-monetary perks and that is fine. RCL and other cruise lines have obviously taken time to study what motivates people. I am sure they found data that tells them that some number of people really want each and every perk they offer. Otherwise, why would they offer them? A business uses marketing (perks and advertising) to influence people and they study the results closely. As long as they perceive that the perks bring in business, they will keep them. When an individual perk stops working, you can bet it will go away and be replaced with something else.

We have sailed with several Pinnacle members over the years and they have certainly earned their distinction. Anyone that has reached 700 points has earned the upgrades and dinner with the captain(officer) and whatever else they get. Over the 30+ years that we have been C&A members the perks have been really nice and the changes, for the most part, have been positive. The things that have been implemented to refine the program are usually attacked but make sense when the big picture is considered. Cruise lines are not the only ones with loyalty programs and the parameters change from time to time as business dictates. As was previously noted, there are perks(levels)that kick in at 340/350 and again at 525. There is no need to invent more names to quantify them.

Also, Royal has one of the top rated Loyalty programs in the industry. We can nit-pick the little details but overall it seems like the good outweighs the bad. What it comes down to maybe isn't the benefits, but the cruise line itself. Sure, it's nice to have free drinks, even if you can afford them. It's great to get a couple hundred (or even $100) off of your cruise. The truth is that most people are not going to pick their cruise based soley on these benefits but are going to pick the cruise line that treats them the best. The Crown & Anchor society is just one piece of the puzzle.

Also, Royal has one of the top rated Loyalty programs in the industry. We can nit-pick the little details but overall it seems like the good outweighs the bad. What it comes down to maybe isn't the benefits, but the cruise line itself. Sure, it's nice to have free drinks, even if you can afford them. It's great to get a couple hundred (or even $100) off of your cruise. The truth is that most people are not going to pick their cruise based soley on these benefits but are going to pick the cruise line that treats them the best. The Crown & Anchor society is just one piece of the puzzle.

Exactly that! Nicely said. ;)

A certain number of people do not use the discounts that appeal to you. Some people book inside or OV cabins, so an increased balcony discount is meaningless to them.

But everyone who cruises books some type of cabin. I have always wondered why they don't just make it a cabin discount for the C&A members instead of a balconey discount.

The C&A is one of the best IMHO.

I pick a cruise because it goes where I want to go, when I want to go, an at a price I want to go. That being said the fact that my C&A percs are so wonderful I will pick RCI or Celebrity over Lines like Princess or HAL with all other things being close to equal.

Sapphire or whatever the rumour says it might be called, should go between Emerald and Diamond, with the required points to achieve D and D+ being increased, That said people should be grandfathered in at their present level. Also any changes should be made with a long announcement time, maybe even a year. Which would give those close to the next tier to achieve it before any changes.

Also consideration should be given to reducing points to those that do not cruise over a period of time ( say 2 years ) that way the Loyalty scheme would actually encourage loyalty. ( Many Airlines do this ) Many people now achieve Diamond and are happy with those benefits as they do not increase a lot after that, and therefore then opt to try other cruise lines. Consideration should also be given to giving some credit if a Royal Member chooses Celebrity or Azamara, even if it is only half of the regular points awarded. JMO

But everyone who cruises books some type of cabin. I have always wondered why they don't just make it a cabin discount for the C&A members instead of a balconey discount.

I am sure that idea would appeal to a number of C&A members.

Perhaps they do it because offering the balcony discount to C&A members keeps balcony (and above) prices artificially high for everybody else on essentially every cruise. For example, I am looking a cruise with promenades at $770 pp and balconies at $999 pp (or $887 pp after D+ discount); I'd pay $117 pp more for the balcony while a newbie pays $229 more pp. And perhaps a newbie perusing prices might infer that balconies (and above) must be that much more desireable than insides or OV cabins, which may set their impression of expected price differences for balconies. If they only pay a few dollars more for a balcony one their first cruise, that may set their impression of extra cost for balcony at a lower level. Such impressions of value could survive for years. Just a hypothesis. Of course, they do not do this on other lines, including Celebrity, admittedly watering down my hypothesis:o.

Sapphire or whatever the rumour says it might be called, should go between Emerald and Diamond, with the required points to achieve D and D+ being increased, That said people should be grandfathered in at their present level. Also any changes should be made with a long announcement time, maybe even a year. Which would give those close to the next tier to achieve it before any changes.

Also consideration should be given to reducing points to those that do not cruise over a period of time ( say 2 years ) that way the Loyalty scheme would actually encourage loyalty. ( Many Airlines do this ) Many people now achieve Diamond and are happy with those benefits as they do not increase a lot after that, and therefore then opt to try other cruise lines. Consideration should also be given to giving some credit if a Royal Member chooses Celebrity or Azamara, even if it is only half of the regular points awarded. JMO

we will have to wait and see.

Very Interesting - a thought provoking post!

I disagree with a point reductions scheme. Airlines are merely providing transportation, not a vacation. I would bet that few people cruise more than once a year, maybe only once every few years. If their points or status are taken away, they will have no incentive, other than perhaps a fond memory, to return to RCI when they do choose their next cruise vacation.

We already have consideration when we book on Azamara or Celebrity by getting reciprocal status. I'm satisfied with that.:)

I disagree with a point reductions scheme. Airlines are merely providing transportation, not a vacation. I would bet that few people cruise more than once a year, maybe only once every few years. If their points or status are taken away, they will have no incentive, other than perhaps a fond memory, to return to RCI when they do choose their next cruise vacation.

We already have consideration when we book on Azamara or Celebrity by getting reciprocal status. I'm satisfied with that.:)

like-Facebook.png

I agree. I don't know why people constantly try to equate cruise lines with airlines. Other than the fact that they both operated pieces of machinery that moves they have very little else in common.

Usually agree with most of your posts but not this one. I have heard many D+ members comment that they will never make Pinnacle. They can advance thru gold, platinum, emerald, diamond and achieve D+ with 175 cruise points. Next level is 700 cruise points. Unachievable, for most cruisers. Meantime they see benefits eroding as witnessed when the D members lost CL access and current rumors hinting of more changes to come. I see little problem with grandfathering and increasing the points required for D and D+ but any additional level(s) should be between D+ and pinnacle. Give the D+'s some realistic goals for advancing toward pinnacle.

Reducing points of someone who hasn't cruised in two years is outrageous. Many cruisers who take a hiatus from cruising do so for personal or financial. I didn't cruise for a couple years when my wife was dying from Alzheimers disease as my place was with her and not on a ship. Points that were earned shouldn't taken away.

Celebrity, Azamara and RCL have dissimilar loyalty programs policies so I don't see a logical way to combine points. Celebrity president Michael Bayley has made a point to separate from RCCL.