Please send thoughts and prayers to HAL's Filipino crew families

sppunk

Super Typhoon Haiyan is soon (4-6 hours from this posting) to slam into the Phillipines as one of the strongest storms in history. It has sustained winds at least at 170 knots are might have the lowest pressure in history (sub 870mb).

Many, many HAL crew are of course from the Phillipines so I want to send prayers to them and their families as this storm hits the islands.

This storm equals and likely passes Typhoon Tip if anyone knows the region's weather history.

Edited by sppunk
Spelling

Super Typhoon Haiyan is soon (4-6 hours from this posting) to slam into the Phillipines as one of the strongest storms in history. It has sustained winds at least at 170 knots are might have the lowest pressure in history (sub 870mb).

Many, many HAL crew are of course from the Phillipines so I want to send prayers to them and their families as this storm hits the islands.

This storm equals and likely passes Typhoon Tip if anyone knows the region's weather history.

Without wishing to diminish the gravity of the situation for residents of the Philippines, Haiyan is being consistently reported as the strongest storm THIS YEAR, not the strongest in history. Moreover, although currently a Category 5 typhoon, the Joint Typhoon Warning Center believes this storm will be a reduced but still powerful Category 4 storm with sustained winds around 145 mph (125 knots) when it hits on Friday, not later today.

This is the fifth to affect the Philippines this year. Typhoon Utor, which had sustained winds of 140 mph, hit the Philippines in August and caused an estimated $25 million dollars in damage. The Philippines typically average eight to nine storms per year, so activity has been slightly below average.

A very scary time - I lived in Manila as a child, and remember being afraid of the floods. I almost got sucked down a drain that was missing its cover! And there were things, insects, etc., in the water, that were desperate, and bit me. Trivial, I know, but just what I remember. I think our house, at least, was safe and well-built. Not all are, of course. It looks as if the typhoon may be heading for the Visayas, a lot of the crew come from Cebu, so I will be thinking of all of them and praying their families are safe.

And Amsterdam is in those waters, too, isn't she?

Edited by Vict0riann

Without wishing to diminish the gravity of the situation for residents of the Philippines, Haiyan is being consistently reported as the strongest storm THIS YEAR, not the strongest in history. Moreover, although currently a Category 5 typhoon, the Joint Typhoon Warning Center believes this storm will be a reduced but still powerful Category 4 storm with sustained winds around 145 mph (125 knots) when it hits on Friday, not later today.

This is the fifth to affect the Philippines this year. Typhoon Utor, which had sustained winds of 140 mph, hit the Philippines in August and caused an estimated $25 million dollars in damage. The Philippines typically average eight to nine storms per year, so activity has been slightly below average.

I don't want to start an argument, but Tip holds the record for lowest mb reading - this storm is stronger and will have IMO record winds. This is easily a top 5 typhoon of all time and I believe will go down as the strongest ever after examine readings. It is a Advanced Dvorak Technique 8.1 scale if you follow scientific data analysis for tropical systems, that's never been reached in history.

Established winds are now at 190-196 mph with gusts to 230 mph.

The storm is 3-5 hours from landfall, fwiw, and visible on local radar now when looking at PGAGAS Guiuan Station.

Edited by sppunk

Tacloban City will bear nearly direct force from this storm and is forecast to see a storm tide/surge of 15 feet.

For anyone interested, here is an image of the path and intensity.

A few storm chasers are there are will be riding it out. You can follow their updates at https://twitter.com/ExtremeStorms and https://twitter.com/typhoonfury.

I've been watching the weather channel throughout the day for updates for 2 reasons - all the families of the HAL employees, and for the government offices and employees there that process visas. Our DIL is waiting for a visa, and depending on the damage, it could take much longer than anticipated.

Prayers and good thoughts going out to all involved.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

What I'm reading (NBC News) sounds like it already hit:

"One of the strongest storms ever slammed into the Philippines early Friday, packing wind speeds so high that a weather expert said were poised to make it the strongest tropical cyclone ever recorded at landfall."

"There will be catastrophic damage," Jeff Masters, a former hurricane meteorologist who is meteorology director at the private firm Weather Underground, told The Associated Press."

Edited by Linda&Vern