Rumors about January C&A changes

Karter

Agreed. And as far as airlines go, we used up most of our points for a flight this year. We will lose the balance on December 31st. We're not flying before then so won't be necessarily booking that airline unless they have the lowest fare next time we fly.

Maybe your airline at least has a magazine subscription you can order with your remaining points. ;)

Gina

How do you people let yourselves get sucked into this black hole EVERY TIME someone decides to start a rumor??!?!?!?!??! :confused: :confused: :confused:

There are a lot of people with nothing better to do than prattle about gossip and rumor! Before the internet this was generally restricted to bars, hair salons, and back yard fence conversations.

Rumours, Rumours, Rumours, I wonder if any new status tiers on Royal will match benefits with the new rumoured Elite Plus and Zenith tiers on Celebrity.

Whilst I agree it is fun to speculate about what might be happening, I really just think that we should relax and enjoy what we have now. The only serious thought I have is that any changes should be announced with a long lead time before changes, giving those that might be close to achieving existing tiers a chance to get there before targets are moved.

Is this pure guesswork or did Miami consult with you? This is a pretty definative statement based on a conversation with a LA./COLOR]

No one really knows what is going on or being contemplated.

My source is a veteran LA that has been with RCCL for as a highly respected inside and outside of RCCL. The LAs often get a chnace to know more about the passengers than any other position in RCCL and RCCL ultizies this information. Fell free to question the info from the LA, but come January I think you'll see this info is on target.

I know why they are changing it

RCCL heard that I was making diamond and thought we cant have his type in our lounge:eek::p

I usually go to the bar and have a cocktail/beer while GF gets ready for dinner and another with dinner.

SO this would work for me.

Edited by jonbgd

My source is a veteran LA that has been with RCCL for as a highly respected inside and outside of RCCL. The LAs often get a chnace to know more about the passengers than any other position in RCCL and RCCL ultizies this information. Fell free to question the info from the LA, but come January I think you'll see this info is on target.

Must be one from a different ship than any I've ever sailed on, then, because I've found most of the onboard LAs to be virtually clueless about what's likely to happen in Miami.

Rumours, Rumours, Rumours, I wonder if any new status tiers on Royal will match benefits with the new rumoured Elite Plus and Zenith tiers on Celebrity.

Whilst I agree it is fun to speculate about what might be happening, I really just think that we should relax and enjoy what we have now. The only serious thought I have is that any changes should be announced with a long lead time before changes, giving those that might be close to achieving existing tiers a chance to get there before targets are moved.

Hoping you are correct in the long lead time prior to changes.

Rumors aside, just relying on logic, does anybody really believe they'd be building all of these Diamond Lounges fleet wide just to decide in January 2014 to kick Diamond Members out of the Diamond Lounges, a few short years after they kicked Diamond Members out of the Concierge Lounge (a decision many remember are some are still upset about)?

I mean, really... they have smart people working over there. Surely they wouldn't have committed all of the resources to outfitting the remaining fleet with Diamond Lounges only to impulsively decide halfway through that they're no longer Diamond Lounges, they're now Diamond + (or something else) lounges :confused:. Lets not forget the that the Diamond Lounge is a relatively young concept for the line... are they really going to provide and then revoke it in such short succession? How would they sell that to their hoards of loyal cruisers? Remember, the problem is that there are too many of us!!! That's a "victim of their own success" scenario. Since C&A is arguably (and in my opinion) the best major loyalty program in the cruise industry, it would be difficult to argue that loyalty cruisers are not important to RCI's business plan... see all the money they invest in these excellent benefits.

...and to preempt any such comments, I don't believe this is one Diamond Member's wishful thinking at all, I just can't see this happening logically. A far more reasonable way to deal with the overcrowding that occurs on some voyages is the voucher system they're currently piloting, which will definitely keep some D members out of the lounge.

Edited by Dave85

Rumors aside, just relying on logic, does anybody really believe they'd be building all of these Diamond Lounges fleet wide just to decide in January 2014 to kick Diamond Members out of the Diamond Lounges, a few short years after they kicked Diamond Members out of the Concierge Lounge (a decision many remember are some are still upset about)?

I mean, really... they have smart people working over there. Surely they wouldn't have committed all of the resources to outfitting the remaining fleet with Diamond Lounges only to impulsively decide halfway through that they're no longer Diamond Lounges, they're now Diamond + (or something else) lounges :confused:. Lets not forget the that the Diamond Lounge is a relatively young concept for the line... are they really going to provide and then revoke it in such short succession? How would they sell that to their hoards of loyal cruisers? Rememer, the problem is that there are too many of us!!! That's a "victim of their own success" scenario. Since C&A is arguably (and in my opinion) the best major loyalty program in the cruise industry, it would be difficult to argue that loyalty cruisers are not important to RCI's business plan... see all the money they invest in these excellent benefits.

...and to preempt any such comments, I don't believe this is one Diamond Member's wishful thinking at all, I just can't see this happening logically. A far more reasonable way to deal with the overcrowding that occurs on some voyages is the voucher system they're currently piloting, which will definitely keep some D members out of the lounge.

Logic from one perspective may not be logic from another perspective, and a solution, such as D drink vouchers, would be welcomed by some and unacceptable to others. As I recall the D's lost access from the CL because many suite guests were complaining about the lounge being overcrowded. Those same complaints are being sounded again.

Perhaps, nothing will be changed in the near future but with the ability of a new cruiser to make D with 80 points the ranks of D members is swelling rapidly. Eighty points can be gotten on 6 cruise in a JS. (14 x 6 = 84). Eventually this will have to be addressed.

I think the point that PriusProf was trying to make was that nothing is set in stone. Until there is something formal from Royal, everything is just hearsay, which just leads to speculations and rumors.

Logic from one perspective may not be logic from another perspective, and a solution, such as D drink vouchers, would be welcomed by some and unacceptable to others. As I recall the D's lost access from the CL because many suite guests were complaining about the lounge being overcrowded. Those same complaints are being sounded again.

Sure, and Royal dealt with those complaints quite well in my opinion (although I know others disagree) by ultimately committing to build "Diamond Lounges" that would serve the same function as the CL for Diamond Members.

Your comment regarding suite passengers still complaining of crowding is only relevant to the issue of Diamond Plus members in the Concierge Lounge. It has nothing to do with D members in the DL as non-D Suite Guests are not allowed in. Booting D+s to the DL would increase crowding somewhat in the DL, but crowding in the DL is already dealt with constructively by holding the nightly happy hour in an alternate, larger venue on an as needed basis. This seems to work well the vast majority of the year and on all but a few sailings that draw a disporportionate number of Ds/D+s, like TAs.

This is just an academic debate at this point but that's part of the charm of Cruise Critic.

Edited by Dave85

Perhaps, nothing will be changed in the near future but with the ability of a new cruiser to make D with 80 points the ranks of D members is swelling rapidly. Eighty points can be gotten on 6 cruise in a JS. (14 x 6 = 84). Eventually this will have to be addressed.

I quote a friend who just returned from a Celebrity TA, where vouchers were in use:

Those people who say they want the lounge because they love talking with their fellow travelers? Liars. The SECOND the vouchers expired each day at 7pm, the bars emptied like a sports game had finished.

I quote a friend who just returned from a Celebrity TA, where vouchers were in use:

Those people who say they want the lounge because they love talking with their fellow travelers? Liars. The SECOND the vouchers expired each day at 7pm, the bars emptied like a sports game had finished.

Sure! If alcohol wasn't served in the DL or CL no one would come to just sit around and talk. But that doesn't diminish the pleasure gained by chatting with fellow lounge guests over a few drinks.

Considering the size of the CL on the Oasis class ships, if their CL's were restricted to suite guests only, there would be enough unused space for a two lane bowling alley.

Not really. I have been on both Oasis and Allure several times. Those are nice CL's but I do believe since these are super family friendly ships they are looking to make their Suite Guests comfortable to bring in their entire families to the CL. As it is many non-suite D+'s complain about children (from the horses mouth). The LAST thing Royal wants is their Suite Guests feeling uncomfortable.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the folks at RCI start some of these rumours and then sit back and watch the fallout, a rumour starts off the anger, then the denial and finally the acceptance when members accept what they think might be the best deal on here, RCI then makes it a reality with one of their 'you asked, we listened' emails.

Actually, I think this has been in the works for some time. First the announcement to put Diamond Lounges on all ships, then the announcement to allow children of people staying in Suites into the Concierge Lounge during the happy hour time, then the announcement to allow two bottles of wine per cabin to be brought aboard, then the announcement of the drink packages and most recently the trial run of drink coupons. It all leads to the inevitable to those who have experienced the crowds in the CL's. The writing on the wall is pretty clear.

Or maybe they can kick the suite guest out and give them drink coupons and make the CL for D+ and P and then DL for D. :eek:

If that were only true, for those who cannot get along w/ the " seat stealing, can't afford a suite, but have the nerve to be sitting in our chairs and eating our shrimp" complainers.

Life is short people. Let's all get along.

Not to burst your bubble but I wish I had a penny for every person that sent the same e-mail when the D's were removed from the CL. We all know what happened!!

I have no idea what and when will happen in January but it is simple mathematics that something will change and very soon.

Royal-save yourself from the rapid fire e-mails you are about to get and just tear the darn band aid off fast and be done with it!! Man up already!!!

Totally agree with this one! It's all about the numbers.

Edited by JillLovesTravel

Not really. I have been on both Oasis and Allure several times. Those are nice CL's but I do believe since these are super family friendly ships they are looking to make their Suite Guests comfortable to bring in their entire families to the CL. As it is many non-suite D+'s complain about children (from the horses mouth). The LAST thing Royal wants is their Suite Guests feeling uncomfortable.

We also can't forget that a significant number of Royal ships have tiny hole-in-the-wall CLs that make those on Oasis/Allure look palatial! I think that's a major reason (IMHO) they'll ultimately kick the D+s out of the CL... couldn't agree more that they don't want to make their top dollar paying suite guests uncomfortable.

On the other hand, if I were RCI, I'd be less concerned about creating the extra crowding in the DL since they can just use an overflow lounge that'll work just fine most sailings out of the year.

Actually, I think this has been in the works for some time. First the announcement to put Diamond Lounges on all ships, then the announcement to allow children of people staying in Suites into the Concierge Lounge during the happy hour time, then the announcement to allow two bottles of wine per cabin to be brought aboard, then the announcement of the drink packages and most recently the trial run of drink coupons. It all leads to the inevitable to those who have experienced the crowds in the CL's. The writing on the wall is pretty clear.

We have been on well over 40 RC cruises in the past ten years. Although never on a TA. Been D+ for 4 yrs and have stayd in many suites. I have seen the Cl crowded just twice. When it does get busy its only for maybe an hour and then slows down. The whole ship gets crowded throughout the day in various venues.

With your logic RC should close down the Schooner bar, The MDR and even the buffet venues.....They all get crowded at some point. Heck close down Muster that gets crowded too......... ALL THESE CHICKEN LITTLES ARE GETTING TIRESOME.

Edited by JohnSnowGOT

When we are on the Explorer they usually have an overflow lounge in the Cloud Nine. Did that not happen on your cruise or did everyone just decide to go to the CL. Just sayin.

Sailed on the Explorer last month. The overflow for the CL was in the Cloud Nine lounge. I loved it up there. It was much nicer than the CL and it was never crowded.

We also can't forget that a significant number of Royal ships have tiny hole-in-the-wall CLs that make those on Oasis/Allure look palatial! I think that's a major reason (IMHO) they'll ultimately kick the D+s out of the CL... couldn't agree more that they don't want to make their top dollar paying suite guests uncomfortable.

On the other hand, if I were RCI, I'd be less concerned about creating the extra crowding in the DL since they can just use an overflow lounge that'll work just fine most sailings out of the year.

I think the overflow thing is key. On several recent cruises on Freedom Class ships they were using the Olive and Twist for private events from 7-8:30pm More and more large groups are traveling on the bigger ships and these private events are becoming more common. There is money to be made for these private events. The drink coupons will satisfy the D's eventually. Will people scream and holler…yes. Do I feel bad about that? Yes, actually I do. I got kicked out of the CL first round of cuts almost 5 years ago. But they put in the D events and then the D Lounges. Made me happy. I have been D+ for awhile now. I keep coming back.

We have been on well over 40 RC cruises in the past ten years. Although never on a TA. Been D+ for 4 yrs and have stayd in many suites. I have seen the Cl crowded just twice. When it does get busy its only for maybe an hour and then slows down. The whole ship gets crowded throughout the day in various venues.

With your logic RC should close down the Schooner bar, The MDR and even the buffet venues.....They all get crowed at some point. Heck closed down Muster that gets crowed too......... ALL THESE CHICKEN LITTLES ARE GETTING TIRESOME.

ummm…I wasn't using "my logic", I was stating the facts of what has transpired. You can believe it or not but come January don't be hit by the sky falling…..

I had the same experience several years ago as well when they made the CL D+ only. For 1 cruise we were in the Diamond area and we resented it. I read most of the thread from Indy and the trial seemed to be very loose. People comments ranged from ones about the bartenders not even bothering to swipe the cards to the estimate that there were 1000 plus Diamond and up passengers. They didn't use the CL but instead used two areas on the Promenade for entertaining during the cocktail period. There were also comments from people on Liberty. We just were on Serenade in the Med and there were 41 D+ on board and the CL was not ever crowded. The T/A cruises seem to be the issue and so deal with those few cruises and not the world in general.

The one important thing to remember is the drink vouchers were in addition to all existing CL &DL perks and not a sub for those benefits.

Off subject a bit, but can you tell me what kind of mixers were available in the D+ lounge. We were disappointed last summer, as they had a very limited choice on the Rhapsody, we finally brought our own mixers onboard.

I have bought some margarita and bloody mary mixes for our TA next week

but would prefer not to have to pack them, if it is not necessary.