Rumors about January C&A changes

Karter

And, oh by the way, starting at the first of the year new JS bookings are only 1 credit per day just like any other non Gold card stateroom. So anyone who wants double points for a JS better hustle!

Sorry, I call shenanigans on PriusProf. (someone else on CC uses this expression; I think that it's cute!)

He made it up. I swear that that is the only explanation. Whether he did it just to stir the pot, or actually believes that he read this, he made it up.

:)

Edited by Merion_Mom

The lounges are open 24/7. The Concierges are only on duty for the morning and cocktail hours. I have never seen a crowd in a lounge except at the cocktail hour, so I would say that off-peak is 5-8 or 8:30, depending on the CL/DL hours.

I think that you meant this in reverse, Jean, didn't you?

Peak hours would be 5-8 or 8:30; off-peak would be everything else.

We just returned from the Brilliance Boston to Tampa repositioning cruise. There were 1708 C&A members onboard. Pinnacle - 34, D+/Diamond - 800 plus those in suites. Posted cocktail hours were 5-8 but, since 1st seating was at 5:30 pm, drinks were being poured at 4:30pm. The CL was for Pinnacle/D+ and Suites, the DL was expanded to include the Viking Crown Lounge and open to Pinnacle/D+/D and the Colony Club was the 3rd lounge for D/D+/Pinnacle. Plenty of room for everyone and never a problem to get a seat.

Cooked to order breakfast and continental breakfast was available in CHOPS for Pinnacle and D+. This was very nice, well received and you had hot, fresh food within 5-10 min of ordering. The CL and DL offered the usual continental breakfast.

The Top Tier party was held simultaneously in the Viking Crown Lounge and the Colony Club. It was crowded in both venues but doable. IMHO better than having it in the theater....which has been done before.

We were also on the Brilliance TA in August. Pretty much the same numbers and crowding in the CL and DL. We were glad to see the improvements for large numbers of D/D+/Pinnacles on the Oct repo cruise. We feel RCI is listening and trying to make it better for everyone. :)

We were on the same cruise and the week before B2B. Someone we met n the relo leg remarked how surprised he was at how empty the "regular" bars were around dinner time.

Didn't have the heart to tell him that 1/3 of the boat was on 13 or Colony Club :eek:.

^^^This was the first thing I thought when I started reading this thread! ^^^^

Honestly, sometimes CC has it right, and things get posted here before they're announced. But sometimes it's wrong. And I think it's a huge mistake to assume that adding a level between D+ and PC = kicking Diamonds out of their *on many ships* new lounges!!

Nothing is forever, including your special status. That said, changes like this are not done without a great deal of agonizing. For me, I like the Diamond lounge, heck I even like the daily diamond event ( I have done more of those) are they super awesome moments.... NO. Just think there are a bunch of people on the ship who are gold or even... gasp... no C&A status at all. I am superior to all of those losers..... Even the platinums and the poor who are we emeralds. Such pathetic dog pooh...:eek:

Or they could just be here playing the watch this game...:eek:

Just sayin

jc

WOW youre right about Oasis TA!

We booked Oasis TA from Holland back to US the day the bookings openned. Then as the weeks and months passed I saw on these boards just who was traveling and realized it was going to be a CC who's who. With every near do well and Hot Shot nobody soaking up the resources.

impaling myself on that barge pole seems better than 14 days with that crowd!!!

Wow! We are on this cruise and the official roll call is 103 lines on a spreadsheet and not all are doubles. That is much less than 300 people (in case some haven't added themselves to the spreadsheet) on a ship that sails with how many? We are Diamond Plus and have only sailed with one other person before. I sure didn't realize I was part of a CC who's who :D.

As large as the Oasis is I doubt we will have to worry about who else is sailing with us if we don't want to.

According to the Member's Benefits Page under Footnote #14 it states............

One Cruise Point for each completed night of sailing and an extra Cruise Point per night when you purchase and sail in suite accommodations (categories RL, RS, PS, SL, TS, A1, A2, A3, CL, OS, FS, GS, JS) and/or sail in any category and pay a single pricing type for double occupancy staterooms.

All other rates including Travel Agent rates, as well category SI and SB, are excluded from single price type extra point promotion. Cruisetours are included as an additional night per each day on the cruise tour.

Points will be awarded by rate paid not rate berthed, for example, in the instance of an upgrade from an outside to a suite category.

There is no mention of this changing effective January 1, 2014.

Edit: Just spoke with Jarid at the D+ desk and JS cabins will still be earning double points on and after January 1, 2014.

Patti ....... Thank you for checking personally. I trust your posts alot more than most on here

Sorry, I call shenanigans on PriusProf. (someone else on CC uses this expression; I think that it's cute!)

He made it up. I swear that that is the only explanation. Whether he did it just to stir the pot, or actually believes that he read this, he made it up.

:)

My apologies for shenanigans. I promise that I did not say that to stir any pot. I hate that!!! I truly do believe that I read this but I must be hallucinating because I could find nothing to back up what I truly believed before I said it in the post.

So my heartfelt apologies to everyone on this thread for stating what I believed to be fact. I sent an e mail to Crown and Anchor to ask what was happening, if anything.

Edited by Priusprof

I also wonder why people think D would lose DL access. Did RCI just refurbish all these ships and add a Diamond Club complete with brand new signs just to kick the Ds out and have to yank down and replace all those signs? I seriously doubt they would continue to call it a Diamond Club if Diamonds aren't allowed.

The only major problems are on the ocean voyages and repositioning cruises. Any other occasional crowding seems to be taken care of with the simple opening of a door into the Viking Crown Lounge.

Gina

I have to say, reading through this, I agree with this. I'm not sure why people think there will be a huge need to remove D's from the DL. Will the D+ get removed from the CL? Possibly, certainly that is the most obvious way to take care of overcrowding in the CL. But if it happened I would think the DL would just become the D/D+/P lounge (P probably being able to use either lounge). Any overcrowding with that will just be handled by overflow lounges and/or vouchers for both D & D+. I just don't see why, if the D+ are removed from the CL, that it means anything for the D's, except for a more crowded DL.

Plus, where is the demand going to be to have a dedicated lounge just for D+/P ? On an average sailing, are there really that many? The complaints I've heard were for TA and special sailings, along with a number of December sailings. I suspect many of those last were because of the now removed DinD, and there won't be quite the same crush for those sailings next year. For example, we sailed Oasis this year. But it was March, during spring break time, and there was a whopping 1(!) D+ member at the C&A and Top Tier event. What a waste of a D+/P lounge that would be.

If all Diamonds and Diamonds Plus were issued the three drinks on their sea pass cards in ADDITION to being able to go to the DL for Diamonds, and the DL/CL for Plus, it would relieve the overall crowding of both lounges. For example, DH and I just made Diamond on our last cruise. Since we were in a GS we really enjoyed the CL. We are now looking forward to frequenting the DL on our upcoming Oasis cruise next month. However, in January we are cruising with friends who are Platinum, so they cannot join us in the diamond lounge. On THAT cruise, we would be thrilled if we had coupons on our seapass cards. That way we could still enjoy a couple of free drinks, but could do so with our friends in a lounge.

So hand out the free vouchers and I bet that overall you will see a voluntary reduction in the number of people using the DL/CL. There would likely not be any need to 'kick the Diamonds out' of the DL and everyone would be happy.

People get upset when the lounges are crowded and there is no other option. Give everyone coupons and things will level out and you will still keep your loyal clientele happy. Win/win! :)

I agree with this. I think if they gave D and D+ vouchers and the DL, that many would voluntarily use the vouchers and not use the lounge during that time resolving the over crowding when the "regular" D+ are no longer able to use the CL.

That's my theory. Of course, I'm still Emerald so none of it affects me yet.

Edite to Add: I wonder how much the addition of the new Drink Packages will relieve some of the DL and CL crowding? If many are just going for free drinks and if they have the all inclusive package, they might not feel the need to go in the lounges at all?

Edited by reney313

Just out of curiosity how do people feel about suite guests who have been on maybe one or two cruises getting more benefits than diamond members?

I feel like if you pay the prices for a grand suite or above, you better get amenities others don't I have yet, after 20 cruises, to stay in a GS or above because they cost so much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say, reading through this, I agree with this. I'm not sure why people think there will be a huge need to remove D's from the DL. Will the D+ get removed from the CL? Possibly, certainly that is the most obvious way to take care of overcrowding in the CL. But if it happened I would think the DL would just become the D/D+/P lounge (P probably being able to use either lounge). Any overcrowding with that will just be handled by overflow lounges and/or vouchers for both D & D+. I just don't see why, if the D+ are removed from the CL, that it means anything for the D's, except for a more crowded DL.

Plus, where is the demand going to be to have a dedicated lounge just for D+/P ? On an average sailing, are there really that many? The complaints I've heard were for TA and special sailings, along with a number of December sailings. I suspect many of those last were because of the now removed DinD, and there won't be quite the same crush for those sailings next year. For example, we sailed Oasis this year. But it was March, during spring break

time, and there was a whopping 1(!) D+ member at the C&A and Top Tier event. What a waste of a D+/P lounge that would be.

What makes you think that just because they aren't at the Top Tier Event they aren't on board? I rarely go to those events, its been several years, and I have been D+ for awhile now.

What makes you think that just because they aren't at the Top Tier Event they aren't on board? I rarely go to those events, its been several years, and I have been D+ for awhile now.

I completely agree with you. my husband and I rarely go to those events. Why would I wanna leave relaxing poolside to go stand online for a free drink and be told that we are the greatest crowd they ever had onboard. No thanks! Been there done that! We know what our level is. To be honest I don't understand what the big deal is with these lounges. Why am I going to sit in a stuffy lounge all day listening to people going on and on that they know everything about royal caribbean. When we want drinks we just go buy them. Everyone stressing about weather or not their free glass of wine will be taken away is crazy. If we want a drink we go to the bar and purchase one. My husband and I cruise for the memories and the sheer relaxation factor. The extra perks are just that perks!

Wow! We are on this cruise and the official roll call is 103 lines on a spreadsheet and not all are doubles. That is much less than 300 people (in case some haven't added themselves to the spreadsheet) on a ship that sails with how many? We are Diamond Plus and have only sailed with one other person before. I sure didn't realize I was part of a CC who's who :D.

As large as the Oasis is I doubt we will have to worry about who else is sailing with us if we don't want to.

Of course you are, Herb. You are "special". ;) :D

I'm really disappointed in the demise of Diamonds in December. We were scheduled for a Dec cruise last year and had to move it to this December. :rolleyes:

I asked the C&A ambassador about what was replacing DID and he said something about photos and cards. I just looked at him as if he lost his mind. He just said, don't even get me started!

I just completed my 3rd or 4th cruise since making Diamond and the only use I've made so far of the DL is requesting tickets to the Ice Show last January. My sister and frequent cruise companion went into the Diamond Lounge with me and the look the concierge gave my sister chilly to put it politely. He all but asked her to wait outside while I got tickets. I would not be a Diamond if I relied on cruising with my husband who has the same status I have.

This is not going to be popular, but I think that adults sharing a cabin should have access to the same venues. Notice I did not post - linked reservations, cousins down the hall, etc. Just in the same cabin.

Edited by temple1

Thanks for your snarky response... How was it helpful?

Do you really believe that the suite guests should be removed from the concierge lounge when they are paying $4000 a person for a cruise so that you in your inside cabin who cruise all of the time and soak up the free booze every evening when you pay $600 a week per person, and when you don't buy the gold by the inch or use the spa, but the suite guests do because it is their first time on a cruise. I know I buy less of the stuff that makes the cruise line profitable than I did on my first cruise, and I bet I am typical.

So do you really believe the drivel you post, and enjoy calling others snarky?:rolleyes:

Inquiring minds....:eek::rolleyes:

jc

I think that you meant this in reverse, Jean, didn't you?

Peak hours would be 5-8 or 8:30; off-peak would be everything else.

That is what I thought. I did not want to get into a argument as we usually go to the D lounge maybe 2 times on an average cruise and not that familiar with the overall ebb & flow of the D lounge.

I'm really disappointed in the demise of Diamonds in December. We were scheduled for a Dec cruise last year and had to move it to this December. :rolleyes:

I asked the C&A ambassador about what was replacing DID and he said something about photos and cards. I just looked at him as if he lost his mind. He just said, don't even get me started!

I just completed my 3rd or 4th cruise since making Diamond and the only use I've made so far of the DL is requesting tickets to the Ice Show last January. My sister and frequent cruise companion went into the Diamond Lounge with me and the look the concierge gave my sister chilly to put it politely. He all but asked her to wait outside while I got tickets. I would not be a Diamond if I relied on cruising with my husband who has the same status I have.

This is not going to be popular, but I think that adults sharing a cabin should have access to the same venues. Notice I did not post - linked reservations, cousins down the hall, etc. Just in the same cabin.

Temple1,

Apparently, I can't confirm this because we do not use the DL for evening refreshments, there is an overcrowding issue, so allowing more passengers, who are not entitled to that perk because they haven't reached the required status, is definitely not going to happen - as a business they will be trying to cut costs not adding to them. This is where the voucher system is good IMHO: those that have paid and earnt the status get the perk (3 free drink vouchers per night) and are also able to sit with friends/family for evening drinks (whatever their status may be) - win win situation.

The lounge could still be utilised; nothing would prevent those D/D+ passengers wishing to meet with others of that status each evening bringing their 'voucher' drink in with them. That would rectify those cruisers that are adamant they like the social scene and do not visit the lounge just for the free drinks. The lounge would then still be available for them to sit and chat with other D and above guests. Furthermore, as most posters have said here that they use the overflow lounges each evening, there wouldn't be any problem with carrying a drink as most do this anyway or have tried to take their free drink out of the DL to dinner etc. (point made in case someone suggests they can't hold a glass). That way, there would be a flow of passengers in the lounge rather than someone sitting there for the whole 'happy hours' i.e. it's my seat and no-one else is having it (no, I have no experience of this, only repeating previous comments made by other posters). Just my thoughts, however I'm sure someone will find issues/problems to dissect :rolleyes:.

Btw, I also concur with xpdcoojk's comments, suite guests are paying for the extra amenities - they expect to feel special, they're paying big money for the privilege ;).

I've been diamond for a few cruises (got there by staying in JS). We spent most of our Rhapsody cruise in the D lounge drinking soda...but the view was amazing and it was Alaska. The next cruises? Meh. We don't drink and the appetizers are nothing to write home about. We never used the concierge as I am capable of picking up a phone and booking things myself.

I would be more than happy with the 3 drink vouchers. I'd probably just buy drinks for random strangers.

I'd gladly trade the free drinks for free laundry (like celebrity) or more free Internet.

I completely agree with you. my husband and I rarely go to those events. Why would I wanna leave relaxing poolside to go stand online for a free drink and be told that we are the greatest crowd they ever had onboard. No thanks! Been there done that! We know what our level is. To be honest I don't understand what the big deal is with these lounges. Why am I going to sit in a stuffy lounge all day listening to people going on and on that they know everything about royal caribbean. When we want drinks we just go buy them. Everyone stressing about weather or not their free glass of wine will be taken away is crazy. If we want a drink we go to the bar and purchase one. My husband and I cruise for the memories and the sheer relaxation factor. The extra perks are just that perks!

someone once told me (the 2nd highest cruiser with RCL), that if we stop going to the events that RCL is good enough to give us in our honor, they will soon take them away. that definitely makes sense.

we complain about cutbacks. yet when they give a party in our honor, you don't show up. WOW.

the "been there done that" is a lame excuse. you do a few cruises any now you "been there done that".

when it is gone you will ask WHY? :confused::confused::confused:

give me a break.............

Edited by phish tales

WOW youre right about Oasis TA!

We booked Oasis TA from Holland back to US the day the bookings openned. Then as the weeks and months passed I saw on these boards just who was traveling and realized it was going to be a CC who's who. With every near do well and Hot Shot nobody soaking up the resources.

impaling myself on that barge pole seems better than 14 days with that crowd!!!

So, are you still booked on that ship full of "near do wells and hot shot nobody's"? I am, and am/was looking so forward to it. It is my retirement cruise, following 11 days on land in Europe. We have been on both Oasis and Allure more than once. With all the space, and my positive outlook, I believe RC will accommodate us.

I know less than the people I can count on one hand on this ship. I will get to meet Herb SA Traveler and his wife in three weeks on Serenade so I might start counting on the other hand. Lol

Don't go impaling yourself on that barge pole. Life is too short anyway.

We booked the first day, too. We were on Allure that week! I'm still really excited about this cruise. It's our first transatlantic. However, when I read posts like this, it makes me want to take Tapatalk off my phone, and stay obliviously happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by internetwhiz

someone once told me (the 2nd highest cruiser with RCL), that if we stop going to the events that RCL is good enough to give us in our honor, they will soon take them away. that definitely makes sense.

we complain about cutbacks. yet when they give a party in our honor, you don't show up. WOW.

the "been there done that" is a lame excuse. you do a few cruises any now you "been there done that".

when it is gone you will ask WHY? :confused::confused::confused:

give me a break.............

I think it is very nice of the cruise line to have the receptions and events to thank return guests. I try to go to them because they really do try to make it special. Each one we've attended has been a little different and each ship seems to have its own "vibe" for special events.

I'm sure there were a few onboard that didn't go. So let's say there were a dozen (and I think I'm pretty generous with that). You would have a lounge dedicated to a dozen people, who may or may not use it. (Most likely not if they are sailing with others who are not D+) Add in the option of drink vouchers and you basically have an empty room.

The majority of cruises, year round, are not filled with tons of D+ people. Take away the special cruises (TA's, repositions, member cruises, and D-in-D like specials), and there just is not the huge numbers that would make a lounge of D/D+ too crowded together. For those cruises that DO have large numbers, an overflow lounge would take care of it.