Rumors about January C&A changes

Karter

The competitive and entitled attitude of some posters on this thread is really off-putting. I am a new Diamond, and look forward to spending time with nice people on board. It's up to RCI to dictate the program, and speculation is useless, IMHO. Those gleefully rubbing their hands together might do well spending their lounge time with the like-minded.

Teddie

Wow, I totally agree. The Lives of the Rich and Snobby!! Remember what goes around comes around.

We have been on well over 40 RC cruises in the past ten years. Although never on a TA. Been D+ for 4 yrs and have stayd in many suites. I have seen the Cl crowded just twice. When it does get busy its only for maybe an hour and then slows down. The whole ship gets crowded throughout the day in various venues.

With your logic RC should close down the Schooner bar, The MDR and even the buffet venues.....They all get crowded at some point. Heck close down Muster that gets crowded too......... ALL THESE CHICKEN LITTLES ARE GETTING TIRESOME.

Prior to the D's being denied access to the CL it was very common for the lounge to be overcrowded. RCL would never have made such an unpopular decision unless they really felt it was necessary.

Don't feel as anyone has the "Chicken Little Syndrome" but consider this more of a discussion based on different perspectives of logic.

I think the overflow thing is key. On several recent cruises on Freedom Class ships they were using the Olive and Twist for private events from 7-8:30pm More and more large groups are traveling on the bigger ships and these private events are becoming more common. There is money to be made for these private events. The drink coupons will satisfy the D's eventually. Will people scream and holler…yes. Do I feel bad about that? Yes, actually I do. I got kicked out of the CL first round of cuts almost 5 years ago. But they put in the D events and then the D Lounges. Made me happy. I have been D+ for awhile now. I keep coming back.

Every time we've been on Freedom, the overflow has always been out through the glass doors to the covered patio above the basketball court. Probably one of the nicest features of the DL on that class of ship is the outdoor seating area:)

We have been on well over 40 RC cruises in the past ten years. Although never on a TA. Been D+ for 4 yrs and have stayd in many suites. I have seen the Cl crowded just twice. When it does get busy its only for maybe an hour and then slows down. The whole ship gets crowded throughout the day in various venues.

With your logic RC should close down the Schooner bar, The MDR and even the buffet venues.....They all get crowded at some point. Heck close down Muster that gets crowded too......... ALL THESE CHICKEN LITTLES ARE GETTING TIRESOME.

Probably one of the best posts on entire thread. We have actually encountered overcrowding once in the past 5 years - and that was on a cruise where the "century club" as they called themselves (pinnacle club formally now) came in the lounge at 4, secured seats for the group of them and did not leave until 8:30 dinner.

Prior to the D's being denied access to the CL it was very common for the lounge to be overcrowded. RCL would never have made such an unpopular decision unless they really felt it was necessary.

Don't feel as anyone has the "Chicken Little Syndrome" but consider this more of a discussion based on different perspectives of logic.

The DL is crowed too... Actually the Dl usually gets way more crowded than the Cl ever does...........Whats your solution to that one....Only the Cl gets fixed?

As far as your second paragraph................read some of the responses people are making............yes chicken littles ....many of them.

Wow, I totally agree. The Lives of the Rich and Snobby!! Remember what goes around comes around.

Helpful suggestion: if you don't want to engage in academic speculation regarding future loyalty program changes you should avoid threads devoted to academic speculation regarding future loyalty program changes.

There's lots of cruise critic for everyone. In fact, there's a thread today entitled "donuts on liberty," perhaps you'll find that one more interesting. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1945350

Very glad you sent an email, I look forward to hearing the response, and we can compare what info I was given this evening.

I called C & A this evening and had a great chat! We discussed the possiblity that D was getting the boot from the lounge and I was assured absolutely not going to happen.

C & A stated that because of the resent 3 drink coupons that the rumor begin. Then they told me that the coupons were on a trial and they are waiting for the feedback --- the trial was done because of all the complaints that the people they maybe traveling with are not D or D+ and P so C & A are listening to those that have called and put in their voice about this. I also added that I liked the idea of the coupons when traveling with friends that are not D, but also enjoy going into the D lounge to talk with other members.

The next thing I brought up was another tier, and without commitment C & A stated it is very possible that might happen in the future!

So that is the info that I can pass on to you. To add I was not her first call about this either.

They telephonic-ally blew smoke up your skirt. They wouldn't admit to anything that wasn't publicly announced. Technically, they are right. The D's are not going to get the boot. But their access will be limited to non-peak hours of the day. This is going to happen fleet wide during the second week of the New Year. Do you think that if you called one day before the smoking ban they would have admitted to it? No way....deny deny deny until you have to disseminate it.

ummm…I wasn't using "my logic", I was stating the facts of what has transpired. You can believe it or not but come January don't be hit by the sky falling…..

Well I will put on a Hard Hat if necessary....

I would sincerely hate to be booted from the Cl Lounge esp on the Oasis class with a 3rd Oasis on the way.

Why do you say come JANUARY?

Our cruising past and experiences are similar to yours. Except we've done some TAs and repositioning cruises and they were the ones with over crowded lounges. And of course the members cruise we were on was quite busy. Very few others have been too crowded. The short party cruises in the fall out of FL can be crowded in the CL but that's because they fill the ships with cheapos ;) because of last minute sales.

Regular routine cruises never seem to require overflow lounges.

And as I said, I don't see a change coming due to the recent addition of so many lounges with diamond signage. Would they really want to replace those signs so soon?

They telephonic-ally blew smoke up your skirt. They wouldn't admit to anything that wasn't publicly announced. Technically, they are right. The D's are not going to get the boot. But their access will be limited to non-peak hours of the day. This is going to happen fleet wide during the second week of the New Year. Do you think that if you called one day before the smoking ban they would have admitted to it? No way....deny deny deny until you have to disseminate it.

What would you consider/make non-peak hours. Don't the D lounge open at 5PM, excl. for breakfast.

What would you consider/make non-peak hours. Don't the D lounge open at 5PM, excl. for breakfast.

The lounges are open 24/7. The Concierges are only on duty for the morning and cocktail hours. I have never seen a crowd in a lounge except at the cocktail hour, so I would say that off-peak is 5-8 or 8:30, depending on the CL/DL hours.

Our cruising past and experiences are similar to yours. Except we've done some TAs and repositioning cruises and they were the ones with over crowded lounges. And of course the members cruise we were on was quite busy. Very few others have been too crowded. The short party cruises in the fall out of FL can be crowded in the CL but that's because they fill the ships with cheapos ;) because of last minute sales.

Regular routine cruises never seem to require overflow lounges.

And as I said, I don't see a change coming due to the recent addition of so many lounges with diamond signage. Would they really want to replace those signs so soon?

Thank you Gina:)

I can't wrap my mind around that either... whereas other possible changes such as booting D+s from the CL requires no change in signage and minimal disruption (yes, a few would be unhappy but they'd still get their free booze in a venue with "Lounge" in the name).

Edited by Dave85

Oh, what fun. I'm making some popcorn now.

Seriously, none of us KNOW anything, so the speculation (and indignation!) is quite amusing.

It might also be amusing to note that over on the Celebrity boards, there is much "Sturm und Drang" about possible pending changes to the X Captain's Club, to bring it (possibly, maybe, according to rumor) more in line with the "points system" on RCCL. Even more fun is the persistent murmur of complaints about "undeserving RCCL Diamonds" who get access to the Elite lounge without ever sailing X before. So, apparently, a "Diamond Guest" can't get any respect anywhere. ;)

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to YouTube, but this is fun:

The lounges are open 24/7. The Concierges are only on duty for the morning and cocktail hours. I have never seen a crowd in a lounge except at the cocktail hour, so I would say that off-peak is 5-8 or 8:30, depending on the CL/DL hours.

I would have no problem with the 5-8pm as we usually got for refreshments prior to the main seating. I usually found these hours to be the busiest--I may be wrong.

I can't wrap my mind around that either... whereas other possible changes such as booting D+s from the CL requires no change in signage and minimal disruption (yes, a few would be unhappy but they'd still get their free booze in a venue with "Lounge" in the name).

Dave have you been on Oasis Class yet?

The Concierge Lounge on those ships are wonderful...really.

You can have a relaxing full hot breakfast and a great hot lunch in there with wine and beer served. While in there it is so calm and relaxing its very hard to "wrap [my] mind around" the fact that I am on a ship with 7 or 8 thousand people. I can only imagine the Cl in the newer ships coming out will be just as nice. It's not just about "free booze." BTW after 8 Allure/Oasis class cruise and more booked.............HAVE never ever seen it crowed for breakfast or lunch. And in the evening have always found a seat no matter how crowded it may have appeared. :)

TA's are a different animal with it's own issues..........Just don't see the problem cried about here on these boards

You can have a relaxing full hot breakfast and a great hot lunch in there with wine and beer served. While in there it is so calm and relaxing its very hard to "wrap [my] mind around" the fact that I am on a ship with 7 or 8 thousand people. I can only imagine the Cl in the newer ships coming out will be just as nice. It's not just about "free booze." BTW after 8 Allure/Oasis class cruise and more booked.............HAVE never ever seen it crowed for breakfast or lunch. And in the evening have always found a seat no matter how crowded it may have appeared. :)

TA's are a different animal with it's own issues..........Just don't see the problem cried about here on these boards

I've been on the Oasis twice and have observed no issues whatsoever with DL crowding -- I haven't had CL access on Oasis Class (only the hole-in-the-wall variety on earlier ships). Perhaps you missed my earlier disclaimers that I'm involved in a strictly academic discussion here? I happen to find these discussions quite entertaining, as I assume most others who participate do as well.

Edited by Dave85

This is the reason we wouldn't touch the 2014 Oasis Transatlantics with a barge pole.

Can't see how they can provide the wonderful CL experience we had on both Oasis and Allure in the Caribbean with few guests in the CL with a sailing that will have so many 'entitled' C&A members:eek:

They will definitely have vouchers on those crossings!

To add to the rumours, changes are coming in 2014, probably before the first Oasis crossing.

There is an elephant in the room that needs addressing:)

WOW youre right about Oasis TA!

We booked Oasis TA from Holland back to US the day the bookings openned. Then as the weeks and months passed I saw on these boards just who was traveling and realized it was going to be a CC who's who. With every near do well and Hot Shot nobody soaking up the resources.

impaling myself on that barge pole seems better than 14 days with that crowd!!!

Sheesh, reading some of these posts I must have been very, very lucky in my past sailings as almost all of the Cruise Critic members I've met on board in person have been pleasant and delightful... *knocking on wood* I hope my luck continues. :eek:

WOW youre right about Oasis TA!

We booked Oasis TA from Holland back to US the day the bookings openned. Then as the weeks and months passed I saw on these boards just who was traveling and realized it was going to be a CC who's who. With every near do well and Hot Shot nobody soaking up the resources.

impaling myself on that barge pole seems better than 14 days with that crowd!!!

And then we have posters telling us this, like it means anything to anybody

"We have been on well over 40 RC cruises in the past ten years. Although never on a TA. Been D+ for 4 yrs and have stayd in many suites. "

Oh wait a minute, that was you:rolleyes:

Interesting reading on this thread.

My husband and I just reached Diamond level. So far, we've only enjoyed the Diamond balcony discount!

Since our next cruise (and first as Diamond) is on Jewel, we really aren't expecting much in the way of perks, since that ship doesn't have a Diamond lounge anyway.

We reached this level one cruise at a time -- no double points. And I do have to say we would be very disappointed to learn that all of a sudden our Diamond level status doesn't really mean anything... assuming there are changes and we wouldn't be grandfathered in.

D+ is so far away for us, we probably wouldn't ever attain it.

My source is a veteran LA that has been with RCCL for as a highly respected inside and outside of RCCL. The LAs often get a chnace to know more about the passengers than any other position in RCCL and RCCL ultizies this information. Fell free to question the info from the LA, but come January I think you'll see this info is on target.

I think time will indeed tell but I wouldn't put a lot of credence in what 1 LA said. While they certainly are nice people and interact with a lot of passengers, they are relatively speaking junior staff members on the ship. I hardly think that they have an information pipeline to the inner workings of C&A or Corporate policy making. I appreciate you passing along the information as you know it.

And then we have posters telling us this, like it means anything to anybody

"We have been on well over 40 RC cruises in the past ten years. Although never on a TA. Been D+ for 4 yrs and have stayd in many suites. "

Oh wait a minute, that was you:rolleyes:

Oh you noticed Thank you !! :):):)

Must be one from a different ship than any I've ever sailed on, then, because I've found most of the onboard LAs to be virtually clueless about what's likely to happen in Miami.

Again, I feel as a group they are very nice people to interact with the C&A passengers. Their primary functions appear to be booking cruises and hosting Loyalty functions. I don't consider them an insider source for information.