Liberty Embarkation at Ft Lauderdale - AWFUL!

FlBarb64

Just returned from the LOS on a 5-day cruise on 11-23 and all I can say is I have never waited so long to board a cruise! The line was extremely long, not enough check-in people, just utterly miserable.

In all my years of cruising I have never had to wait more than 30 minutes to board. Just wanted to warn all those coming through Fort Lauderdale. Ignore the email about not arriving early. I would!

Unfortunately, I hate to report that this was just one of the awful things about my cruise. A review will be posted soon.

On the bright side, disembarkation was quick and awesome! Park-N-Go had MANY shuttles and I was at my vehicle within 15 minutes after being picked up at the port.

Disappointed-n-RCL

B. :(

The only time in the year that I love to wake up early is when I'm going in a cruise. I'm always there by 10 am, I rather seat and talk to by girlfriend with a big happy smile than getting to the port with big lines full of desperate people

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just returned from the LOS on a 5-day cruise on 11-23 and all I can say is I have never waited so long to board a cruise! The line was extremely long, not enough check-in people, just utterly miserable.

In all my years of cruising I have never had to wait more than 30 minutes to board. Just wanted to warn all those coming through Fort Lauderdale. Ignore the email about not arriving early. I would!

Unfortunately, I hate to report that this was just one of the awful things about my cruise. A review will be posted soon.

On the bright side, disembarkation was quick and awesome! Park-N-Go had MANY shuttles and I was at my vehicle within 15 minutes after being picked up at the port.

Disappointed-n-RCL

Well not sure how many "all your years of cruising" encompasses, but consider yourself extremely lucky that you have never had a cruise that took you more than 30 minutes to board. As far as sailing through Fort Lauderdale, well soon to pass through her wonderful post for the 14th time and have never had to wait very long to board any RCL ship.....Can't wait to hear what was soooo horrible about your cruise.....K.O......:rolleyes::cool:.... That being said will reserve judgement for the time being:D

Disappointed-n-RCL

from YOUR rollcall

embarkation - we had a short delay but not terrible - we were boarded around 12pm as promised

But, I really DO want to know the specifics. We're sailing on Liberty in 100 days, I'd like to hear her opinions.

Mind you, we sailed the Indy this past March, and we were banished to terminal 29 in Port Everglades. But, we thought embarkation was just fine, sure we waited about 30 mins before the line started to move, but we did arrive at 10:30am. No biggie... chat it up with fellow pax in line - great way to start a cruise.

from YOUR rollcall

embarkation - we had a short delay but not terrible - we were boarded around 12pm as promised

I saw that one too - cause I looked, but, remember what the OP said....

She mentions "ignore the emails about not arriving early". Maybe she means she listened to the email advice, and showed up at around 1pm-ish, which might explain the crowds or the "slow" embarkation.

This is why I asked what time she arrived at port.

Edited by Toddcan

I also took this cruise and after reading other post (thx cc boards) I was prepared. Having said that we still got to peir 25 around 10:30. I knew we would have to wait but wanted to be towards the front. We had a group of 19 2 families in jr suites they were in wj eating by 12:30. I was with my sil who is disabled (we were in a special area) and we were boarding at 12:30 the rest of our group also boarded at that time. We sailed away at 5:20. Can't speak for the rest of the people on the cruise but all 19 of us had a fantastic time. Food was great, service excellent and the ship was beautiful. Still not home will post more9re when I can use a computer. Will say I am now hooked!

People have reported this for years regarding the Liberty. I've sailed her many times myself. Getting to the port between 11 and noon is disastrous. I have seen lines out the door, wrap around the building and then some. Also there are a lot of cutters trying their craft. I've never experienced it with any other ship before and there have been many. I'll be sailing Liberty again in February. I find actually waiting now until 1 helps.

People have reported this for years regarding the Liberty. I've sailed her many times myself. Getting to the port between 11 and noon is disastrous. I have seen lines out the door, wrap around the building and then some. Also there are a lot of cutters trying their craft. I've never experienced it with any other ship before and there have been many. I'll be sailing Liberty again in February. I find actually waiting now until 1 helps.
The terminal that Liberty sails out of (I think either 25 or 29) is terrible. It is antiquated and really only adequate for a ship in the 70,000 to 90,000 range. I'm glad that disembarkation was better. Our embarkation on Indy in 2009 was not bad as we got there early and were at the front of the line but disembarkation was a nightmare with luggage for our tag scattered through various rooms and a lack of porters to help (we would have been happy to tip)

Just back from Liberty last night from my Nov 23-28 cruise and both were horrible. We arrived at the port at 11:30 and waited till almost 1pm to board. We didn't mind too much as we were on holidays. We had no problem with check in at the port, just had to wait. But let me tell you, the tendering at Belize was horrible! Lines that went forever! Total Chaos! Like they never did it before. I didn't think it could get worse but disembarkment was even worse! We did self check out as our flight was at 10:45 to Toronto and we went down at 7:15 as they said Customs would clear the ship by 7:45 and it was already madness! Half the cruise must have tried to self checkout! The lines went up to then next deck. Not sure if this was because it was the U.S Thanksgiving but wow! Finally got off the ship at 8:30. After that it was a breeze through customs.

Everything else with the cruise was great though. They need to improve on those things for sure though.

We arrived at noon and it was complete chaos for awhile, because of the layout where terminal 25 is located. The terminal is at the end of the peer and all the traffic HAS to circle back around. Security and police officers were directing people to go to different places and were confusing everyone. When we stopped and unloaded our bags, we couldn't find a porter. Once we got our bags checked and parked the car it got better. If I had it to do again I would go a little bit earlier.

Disembarking at our scheduled luggage tag time was a piece of cake.....

Edited by Sinjin

My experience is that the suite line is always short.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I apologize for my comment on pg 2. I didn't read pg 1 in it's entirety so I didn't realize you were answering a previous poster's question. Sorry.

We arrived at noon and it was complete chaos for awhile, because of the layout where terminal 25 is located. The terminal is at the end of the peer and all the traffic HAS to circle back around. Security and police officers were directing people to go to different places and were confusing everyone. When we stopped and unloaded our bags, we couldn't find a porter. Once we got our bags checked and parked the car it got better. If I had it to do again I would go a little bit earlier.

Disembarking at our scheduled luggage tag time was a piece of cake.....

I completely agree! We have sailed with Royal Caribbean 18 times and never have experienced such long lines. Prior to the cruise we received an email from Royal Caribbean stating that due to embarkation problems we should not arrive sooner than 12:45. We stood in line outside the terminal at least an hour and a half. Also, the lines for self disembarkation were a nightmare.

Edited by Gertie Gal

Just back from Liberty last night from my Nov 23-28 cruise and both were horrible. We arrived at the port at 11:30 and waited till almost 1pm to board. We didn't mind too much as we were on holidays. We had no problem with check in at the port, just had to wait. But let me tell you, the tendering at Belize was horrible! Lines that went forever! Total Chaos! Like they never did it before. I didn't think it could get worse but disembarkment was even worse! We did self check out as our flight was at 10:45 to Toronto and we went down at 7:15 as they said Customs would clear the ship by 7:45 and it was already madness! Half the cruise must have tried to self checkout! The lines went up to then next deck. Not sure if this was because it was the U.S Thanksgiving but wow! Finally got off the ship at 8:30. After that it was a breeze through customs.

Everything else with the cruise was great though. They need to improve on those things for sure though.

We sailed on the Liberty 2 years ago and overall, had a great time. Embarkation was a bit of a hassle, but manageable. Disembarkation was a total nightmare back then. We did the self disembark and there must have been half of the people carrying off their own luggage with lineups going up 5 or 6 levels of stairs. Just a nightmare. Then when you get off, you get to walk what seems like a mile carrying your suitcases. Once we hit the customs, we breezed right through. Other than disembarkation, we loved the Liberty.

We sailed the Oasis last year and had a nightmare embarkation. Arrived at the port at 10:30 and were not permitted to board til 1:15. This was a disaster. The terminal is nice enough, but if you are going to keep people there for 3 hours, you need to offer food, drinks, entertainment...something. I understand that the holdup was that half of the customs officers never showed for work and that delayed things, but it was a nightmare. We were one of the last ones to disembark the Oasis and we walked right off and had 2 people in front of us in the Customs line. I will always book a later flight now if I have a choice. It makes for a much more relaxing disembarkation.

We sail the Independence in March and I am expecting similar to the Liberty since she sails from the same port and is of the same class. Fingers crossed all goes well.