Chops Grille worth it???

Going on Explorer in May for my birthday and wanted to know if the steaks at Chops Grille are worth buying. I've tried the steaks in the main dining and they're decent, but are the steaks better at chops? Thanks!

We have never been disappointed :)

The same with the steaks in Portofino if you decide to go there too.

Edited by TexCruise371

but, you could get 3 full deserts in the MDR.. we were charged $7.50 each on top of the standard service charge for a couple of coffee drinks. seriously?

But you would have been charged the same $7.50 in the MDR also. It says on the Chops menu that the specialty coffee drinks are extra. I like to book one Specialty dinner per cruise but I know people who eat there every night.

but, you could get 3 full deserts in the MDR.. we were charged $7.50 each on top of the standard service charge for a couple of coffee drinks. seriously?

Royal always charges extra for specialty coffee, unless you have one of the drinks packages.

We also love Portofino but, sadly, they are phasing them out of the fleet and replacing them with Giovanni's Table.

Giovanni's Table is good so don't be too sad.

We've always totally enjoyed Portofino but after trying Giovanni's, we sort of like Giovanni's better. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Giovanni's Table is good so don't be too sad.

We've always totally enjoyed Portofino but after trying Giovanni's, we sort of like Giovanni's better. :)

LuLu

~~~~

We disliked Giovanni's on Allure, but found it to be much better on Brilliance. However, we will still miss Portofino! :)

Do they have the mystery dinner on the Explorer? That is another option if you like to do things like that. I love the cheesy show and dinner is in one of the specialty restaurants. I had the filet in Portofino's last time and it was wonderful. Just to throw another idea into the mix.

Our last cruise on the Mariner we ate at Chops twice and we also did the Caymus wine pairing dinner in Chops. We also ate at Giovanni's Table twice. We definitely think it was worth it.

Unfortunately, we had a brand new Chinese waitress in the MDR as they were preparing the ship to head to Asia. We ate in the MDR on the 2 formal nights. To say the waitress was awful is being kind. She screwed up the orders at all of her tables and spent most of the time in the galley getting the right food. I will say the Asst., a seasoned veteran, was great and he tried to teach her, but she had a real attitude. He should have been the waiter.

Since we were in a suite and ate breakfast and lunch at Chops daily we got to know the waiters from Chops and Giovanni's Table very well. They took great care of us at every meal and made the cruise one of our best ever.

For me, Portofino is definitely worth the $20. It's an excellent meal in a very nice restaurant. The food there is far better than the main dining room. And the filet in Portofino always tastes better than the same piece of meat when it is prepared in Chops. Why Chops is $30, I cannot figure out.

• 2 months later...
the steaks we had were excellent.. the service and 'attitude' not so much. a better option which we did the following week was to order the Chop's steak from the MDR only a $17 charge. The steaks were still excellent with much better service.

When we were on Allure in 2012, a gentleman and his two kids were eating alone at the table next to us. He ordered the Chops filet and it took forever to arrive. His kids were almost done eating before it got there and it wasn't cooked to order. He was polite about it but he did tell them he wasn't happy. Like others suggested, you're better off going to Portifino and ordering it of the menu.

When we were on Allure in 2012, a gentleman and his two kids were eating alone at the table next to us. He ordered the Chops filet and it took forever to arrive. His kids were almost done eating before it got there and it wasn't cooked to order. He was polite about it but he did tell them he wasn't happy. Like others suggested, you're better off going to Portifino and ordering it of the menu.

A little tip from our waiter on our last cruise:

If you are going to order a Chops filet in the main dining room, let your waiter know as soon as you are seated (don't wait until he comes around to take your order). The Chops filet can take a bit longer to prepare as ours was cooked to order. Your waiter will know when to place the order in the kitchen so the filet is done at the same time your table is ready for the main course.

Worked for us and the waiter appreciated the heads up.