Two days and hoping we can go!

Hflors

We booked the Zuiderdam for Dec 9th many months ago and now that we are in our last few days before leaving "Houston we have problem"! Last week while visiting family "up-North" my eye started to act up. (I have something the eye dr called recurring Cornea abraision) It basicly means that sometimes the top layer of skin on your cornea opens up. Yes I know it sounds gross and I can tell you it is extremely painful. This has happened before so we have delt with it just not when we were heading for a cruise. Anyway this past tuesday I woke up to the terrible pain in my eye. I put in my eye drops, put on my sun glasses and hoped for the best. Sometimes it gets better in one day. That night no better. Wednesday morning the pain was worse and now my eye is very sinsitive to light. I called my eye dr as we were flying home the next day.

Thursday at 6 am we headed to the airport. Its dark outside and I am in sunglasses. The TSA officer asked me to take off my sunglasses so he could match my drivers lisences with me and his face looked pretty shocked when he saw my eye! By this time I could barely get my eye open even with the sunglasses on! I think the flight attendents thought I was crazy as I had the blind down on the window and just sat there with glasses on. I did get a cup of ice water from them, but my glasses are very dark and DH had to hand it to me and put it on the little table. The only time I took off my glasses was to put more eye drops in my eye. Anyway we got home dropped our luggage and headed for the DR's office. Numbing drops, a band-aid contact lense and antibiotic drops later and I was back home and laying down to rest my eye. Yesterday, Friday we were back at the eye doctors for a check on the eye. It is healing, and they changed the band-aid contact lense.

I have to go back on Monday morning early (7:45 am) So they can do another check. I am hoping they can remove the contact lense before we head for Ft Lauderdale at 9am! We did have to re-arrange our flights back North for Christmas. Now we have to drive to Ft Lauderdale from Ft Myers on Monday to pick up the cruise. We had originally rented a car to drop off in Ft Lauderdale, but now we are going to drive our car and park it at the Port Everglades lot. When we return from the cruise we will drive back here to Ft Myers from Ft Lauderdale go to the Dr's office for a follow-up visit. Come back home for a couple of hours and take a late flight from Ft Myers to Maryland for the Christmas holidays! This close to the Holidays I think we were lucky to be able to even change our flights!

It will be a different cruise. We can't go to the beach so our snorkel gear is staying home!! ( We have never been on a cruise without our gear) No going outside when it's windy and I may be still wearing sunglasses inside the ship, but at least we (will ) get to take my birthday and our anniversary cruise.

If the Dr. says we shouldn't go I guess we will be staying here until it gets better,and take an earlier flight to Maryland as soon as we can fly, then take a cruise sometime later next year. We can cross that bridge if we come to it

Please keep your fingers crossed.... I'm keeping mine all crossed that by Monday my eye is close to healed!.

Please excuse any type-o's. Its still hard to see.

Wow, I hope you guys do get to go. Corneal abrasions are nothing to mess with though. Thankfully eyes are fairly quick to heal. Good luck with your next appointment and if you tell them you are leaving on a vacation hopefully they'll try and come up with the best treatment plan that works for both parties. :)

I'm so sorry you have to go through this, and am wishing you the best. That starts with healing, but includes a stress-free time ASAP.

Hopefully you will be totally healed when you see the doctor on Monday. But as Ruth says, you also want to be stress-free throughout your cruise. If you are less than 100% on Monday do you have insurance if you felt you might be better in the long run to reschedule? We had to cancel one cruise unexpectedly the night before a cruise and were already at our hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. The disappointment was awful at the time, but we were then able to have a stress-free wonderful cruise when we did sail a few months later. These things happen and are the reason for insurance. Good luck and I hope it works out for you whatever you decide. Your health is what's most important.

I am so sorry to hear this, and reading it could feel the pain:( It has been a few years but I have had problems with my eyes with severe pain and even a little bit of light was so painful so reading what you wrote brought back memories. Hang in there. I hope it does some fast healing over this weekend. I will definitely be hoping everything works out for you. I also know what it is like to have to cancel a long planned anticipated cruise.

I am going to raise my font size so it will be easier for you to read.

I really, really hope that you heal quickly. My mom had this and it took just under a week to get it on the mend. I hope that because you recognized the problem quickly and began working on the solution, you will heal even faster. Know that you are in my thoughts and please keep us posted. :)

Will add my prayers for healing to those who've already posted. So sorry this has happened. If it's any comfort, please take solace in the fact that it occurred before the cruise and not during the cruise where you would have been far from your own eye doctor and the care you are used to.

Sending positive thoughts that you'll get to embark and enjoy yourself.

Thanks everyone for the prayers and good thoughts coming my way. My eye is looking better and I am continuing with my drop antibiotics. Once we see the dr on Monday we will know if its a go. For now we are packing as if we are going and will hope not to be disappointed. I am going to get off and rest this eye.

Thanks again for all the positive thoughts and prayers.

Helen

Helen I'm also sending good thoughts your direction. Having been through the same situation I know the pain you are feeling. If you read this, and to be perfectly honest you shouldn't be, let me offer what my eye doctor had me do. Put dark light blocking patches on BOTH eyes. I know, that will blind you for the time being but everytime you move your other eye (remember they travel together) the inside of your lid rubs the surface of your injured eye. You really need to keep the traveling of you injured eye to a minimun and that's the only way to accomplish that. Simply closing the injured eye while using the other eye is not going to allow it to heal. Mine got so bad before I went to the doctor that he had to leave my patches on for a full week to allow the eye to heal. When I had a minor reoccurance of the situation about 1 year later 24 hours of wearing the patches was all that was required to heal the abrasion. Remember, you can not successfully rest just one eye.

Edited by larsen

Tracie - you have a huge heart. But the OP managed to post in regular size font so I'm sure he can read it:) That font you picked was a shock to the system, LOL.

Point taken! I don't want to cause an ancillary medical condition due to the shock and awe of my jumbo print!:eek:

When this happened to my mom, she could not focus on smaller font sizes...

Still hoping for the best for the OP! :)

Point taken! I don't want to cause an ancillary medical condition due to the shock and awe of my jumbo print!:eek:

When this happened to my mom, she could not focus on smaller font sizes...

Still hoping for the best for the OP! :)

Hi Tracie.

Kindness and consideration is never the wrong choice.:) Hoping the best for the OP as well.:)

Colleen