Strange new review about the NA

Jridou

This has to be a hoax, I just tried to seach the member directory for this member, Srandaz2, and found nothing. We've sailed with HAL for over 25 years and was on the Nieuw Amsterdam maiden Carhibbean Voyage, one fine ship!

Agree with most I would discount this review simply due to too many unknown's and ignorance of the poster.

I read the OP's other two reviews as well and I really think he needs a crash course--- like Cruising 101 :eek:

Whoops, I shouldn't have said OP. He provided the link. Sorry.

Edited by sapper1

If this person actually sailed on NA I'm just wondering how they made it to the ship. Also they neglected to mention the crew member at the end of the gangway that collects the admission fee for the ship.

Edited to say.... read the person's other reviews.......

Love it!

I think this message was a plant by *CC*. It was written by an alleged member Srandaz2, but there is no member in the member list by that name.

So, how did it get posted? It was posted by a *CC* Admin.

Keep in mind that *CC* was started on AOL but it is now owned by Trip Advisor, which is a publicly held travel company listed on the NASDAQ under the symbol TRIP.

There are *MANY* reviews in the Member Review section from people who have no posts on the Message Boards.

I just read the review to my DH.

He is shock that the administrators didn't contact this person and question him about some of the information he wrote.

I am sure glad they were not on our cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We have so much bad luck, we would have probably run into them.

I think this message was a plant by *CC*. It was written by an alleged member Srandaz2, but there is no member in the member list by that name.

Keep in mind that *CC* was started on AOL but it is now owned by Trip Advisor, which is a publicly held travel company listed on the NASDAQ under the symbol TRIP.

I've been on CC long enough to know that the hosts & administrators do not plant false reviews!:( If you have doubts, you should question them without posting such wild & inflammatory accusations! :(

However, I agree that the hosts should look into this person, as I too do not find him on the members list..

I questioned this review with the Hosts since the poster SRANDAZ2 does not appear on the members list ..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

HUH?

Isn't this a bit of a stretch or am I missing something obvious?

I'm trying to figure out how any seasoned cruiser can be shocked that there is a 15% gratuity charged to drink purchases... even their favored cruise line (RCI) does this.

I'm also not sure why they think that Christmas falls on the same day of the week every year, so HAL should clearly know that port will be closed for most activities. It's highly unlike that HAL has been in PR on Christmas every year as they would imply.

I'm pretty sure the review writer is not a plant and I do know from previously looking at reviews you can post a review and not have posted under that name anywhere else on CC. I did read the other two reviews by the same author and my conclusion is that after three cruises and less than satisfactory experiences maybe cruising is not their best vacation choice. I actually don't have trouble with that, it happens. Got that. Heck I have friends that love, I mean truly live for RV'ing. They have blogs, websites, rallies, gatherings, etc., etc. They spend thousands, in some cases hundreds of thousands, of dollars on their RV'ing and wouldn't have it any other way. Got that too. Now short of being paid for it, and even then I'm not sure, my wife wouldn't go RV'ing. It's not like she hasn't been there, done that as her parents were RV'ers. Heck, love her to death, but this wonderful lady's definition of roughing it is a hotel without beverage service at the pool. Heaven help me, and the RV travel forum, if I were to somehow "force" her to go RV'ing...it wouldn't be pretty and I'd probably be here as a solo-cruiser. :eek: If you don't like it, don't do it. :)

And why would CC write such a review? :confused:

I am not sure what being owned by Tripadvisor has to do with this review. It has been known around here for a long time that CC is part of Tripadvisor.

I think this review has to be a huge troll!!! There is no way anyone could be that stupid, especially a couple who are "experienced cruisers" on RCI.

The entire review is ridiculous.

Here, Here! Utter pure crap. Can't understand why CC posted something so stupid. Sorry, can't help myself.

There are just so many absurdities in that review!

The whole pay-for-food in the main dining room is one, as is the claim that the menu never changed day to day on a 7 day cruise.

I am baffled by the claim that there was no easy access to cabins unless you are fore, midships or aft. Well, that is where the elevators are - how many elevator bank does he expect on a ship? And I had to laugh about being upset that you couldn't get from midships or aft to the Explorations Cafe/Crow's nest because no elevator goes there - even tough he admits there is no deck 11 for that runs the length of the ship.

I just saw he also reviewed the Allure of the Seas - it is a much bigger ship and has only two elevator banks!

So the Nieuw Amsterdam is too small and Allure is too big. :rolleyes:

Oye!

Edited by Boytjie

I read his review about HAL and thought it was crazy. How could he not know some of the things. Then I read the other two reviews and how he was so unhappy about each of them. So far he hasn't found a cruise line he likes and he definitely does not like "college kids" that he blames for everything that went wrong on his first cruise. I think if someone reads this review they should also look at how he reviews the other lines and see that nothing seems to make him happy.

HA HA. He should have read " cruising for idiots" before he set foot on any ship whether HAL or RCI. This made me laugh so hard :) wonder if such book exist " cruising for idiots"

Edited by Thebes

I have read several reviews by people who have never posted anywhere on these boards over the years.

I questioned this one time. Basically anyone can come on and write a review without posting anywhere.

I read his review about HAL and thought it was crazy. How could he not know some of the things. Then I read the other two reviews and how he was so unhappy about each of them. So far he hasn't found a cruise line he likes and he definitely does not like "college kids" that he blames for everything that went wrong on his first cruise. I think if someone reads this review they should also look at how he reviews the other lines and see that nothing seems to make him happy.

I haven't checked out his other reviews -- looks like I have some reading to do.

It's unfortunate that such a blatant misconception is now out there for anyone to read - it would be very misleading, and more new HAL cruisers could go on board thinking that the only place they could eat without paying extra was the Lido Restaurant!

That definitely should be corrected.

How did you find his other 2 reviews?

I couldn't find them.

Selected excerpts in that review of Nieuw Amsterdam:

- "The Amsterdam [sic] is a small ship with absolutely no “wow” factors – the ship is poorly designed for those of us who like to move around and explore and see the remarkable wonders of a cruise ship..."

- "The Lido Deck – this is where all the Anytime Dining Occurs"

- "Deck 2 is comprised of the Manhattan Restaurant which costs additional $$ - The menu consists of the exact same food you find on the Lido deck – There may be a couple items added to the menu but 90% of what you see is on the menu for an additional cost is what you can get for free at the anytime dining."

- "Decks 4 through 8 Are Passenger Rooms – with no easy access unless you are at the Front – Mid or Aft Ship"

- "Keep in mind there is little diversity on the HAL cruise ships – The crew and its compliment is 90% Asian so there is a definite speech barrier breakdown and most of the food is geared toward Asian cuisine."

:confused:

I'm not convinced this person actually ever sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I'm not either. Now I wonder why CC always takes a week or two to publish my reviews. No one read this. Either it is fake or the writer is not a credible source. I don't expect all reviews of lines I like to be rosy, but this one is uninformed to put it kindly.

It's unfortunate that such a blatant misconception is now out there for anyone to read - it would be very misleading, and more new HAL cruisers could go on board thinking that the only place they could eat without paying extra was the Lido Restaurant!

That definitely should be corrected.

I see what you're saying, this is more than just a view or opinion and really is a misstatement of fact. I've never seen an editorial note added to a review and I'm not even sure it's possible but this really could be factually misleading to a casual reader or new cruiser looking for information. I'll take his statement at face value though and that means they went through the whole cruise without eating in the main dining room for fear of paying for it which is kind of sad in some respects.