Would it be rude?

cello56

We have cruised many times since the new menus went into effect. We know exactly what we are going to order for each night of the cruise, and if we felt like something different, we can read the description for ourselves.

So .... would it be rude to on the first night gently explain to our waiter that we are familiar with the new menus and don't require his 'spiele'? We both feel very uncomfortable sitting there listening to him recommend dishes to us and then ordering what we planned to anyways. If we were very polite do you think that we could ask for them to just take our order without the preamble?

Hi, I don't think it would be rude, but would depend on how you say it, for example you could jokily say that he would not get a sore throat explaining things to you as you are aware of it all or subtly put your seapass out so he can see you are a repeat cruiser and hope he takes the hint or ask outright on the first night if the menus are still all the same and when he says yes just say that it will save him some time explaining each night as you know what they are. Happy Cruising.

I think that the waiter would probably appreciate it. I can't imagine that they love saying the same thing over and over. You could probably let them know that you are very familiar with the menu and know what you want on the first day and they will take note of it for the rest of the cruise.

We normally just let him know when he approaches that we've already made a decision on what we want (assuming it's just the 2 of us at our table). That stops them from making recommendations.

That's what I was going to post as well.

Lol, my last cruise, I wanted the recommendations and the waiter refused because everyone's taste is different! First time a waiter did not recommend. But to answer OP, I don't think it would be rude at all

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

Generally not rude if sitting by yourselves or others that you know for certain are in agreement. However if you are seated w/people that want to hear what the waiter has to say than you need to be respective of your table mates and politely listen. Most of the time people just want to order and the waiter appreciates knowing as he/her is working under such time constraints in the first place.

BTW I always let the waiter know a decision was made.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thank you for all the replies. Of course we would only ask this if we were eating alone!! DH and I are happy to share a dining table for breakfast or lunch, in fact we ask for it - but for dinner we get a table for 2 unless we are travelling with others. :)

I think that the waiter would probably appreciate it. I can't imagine that they love saying the same thing over and over. You could probably let them know that you are very familiar with the menu and know what you want on the first day and they will take note of it for the rest of the cruise.

Agreed. I, too, have with interest read the menus and know what I would order - probably for most nights. Think it would speed up his job. Personally, I find those who can't make up their mind rather annoying. After all, menus are posted so you can read them beforehand.

There's nothing wrong with simply and politely saying "we're ready to order" or "we know what we want". However, it really takes less than a minute for the waiter to give the recommendations, so it's not that much of a bother to listen to them. This should be a non-issue, and seems to me like small stuff.

Just a cheeky reply (could not resist)

Are the languages of both English and American included in your totals?;)

lol.. which "English" are you talking about? BBC(Queen's) English, or are you talking about Cockney, Welsh, or any of the others in the UK? :cool:

Edited by Toddcan

Interesting subject to raise.....

On a trip through the kitchens on my TA I came across the following chart posted on a wall there.... they have incentives to push various dishes....

IMG_2915.jpg

Those are all paid items, hence the target.:rolleyes:

OP, nothing wrong with stopping the spiel. We also cut them off toward the end of the cruise when they start begging for excellent ratings. I could probably give that one myself!

In my opinion its one thing to give a recommendation if the waiter actually tasted the food and its another thing for the waiter to give a recommendation just because the chef happens to like such and such an item.

Everyone has their own tastes. I have had our waiter make recommendations that were "spot on" and was happy that he told us what he would suggest.

What I do is in the late afternoon I go down to the Main Dining Room and outside there is a menu for what is going to be served that evening. I do the same for lunch and breakfast as well so that way I can better decide what I might want to order. If I don't see anything I like I would just go to another venue.

Some people are not aware that they post the menu at the front of the MDR as well as on the new Wayfinder Kiosk system so you know what is being served. Whenever I go to a restaurant I always look at their menu online to see what I would like to make the decision process easier. It works 99.9 percent of the time. Sometimes there is a dish that is not online and will order that if it looks good.

When did they change to new menus? Is this for 5 day cruises also? where can I view them?

New menus started being deployed ship by ship in August 2012 and gradually went out to every ship over a period of more than a year.

Here's a link:

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/9/culinary-press-kit/

Edited by clarea

lol.. which "English" are you talking about? BBC(Queen's) English, or are you talking about Cockney, Welsh, or any of the others in the UK? :cool:

If I heard a Geordie accent I'd probably get up and head to the Windjammer.