RCI's ships that stop at Cozumel, do the passengers feel safe?

I just got back yesterday from an RCI cruise that stopped at Nassau, and I hadn't been there in nine years (and it appears to have taken a turn for the worse during that time regarding crime in my respectful opinion).

I want to book an RCI cruise that stops at Cozumel for a day, and I've only ever done the Eastern Caribbean on prior cruises. The crime comments in other websites for Cozumel are making me nervous, could anyone give their thoughts please? I read on one website about many murders and drug gangs in Cozumel, but I would like to believe those issues take place away from the cruise areas?

We only want to leave the ship to snorkel, enjoy a beach, and do a bit of shopping, no bars, and nothing after dark. I also read that there are 2-3 areas that the ships disembark, and that Carnival's pier is about 5 miles from the city, and the other cruise ships come to areas about 1.5 miles from the city. I wouldn't want to "walk" 1.5 miles from the ship to see some shops (as most ports whether Alaska or the Caribbean typically have many of the same stores), but if "the city" is considered to be enjoyable, then we could take a taxi from the Liberty into town.

Anyone's thoughts or opinions on booking this cruise that stops there versus maybe doing a Bermuda cruise would be appreciated (as we can just as quickly do a Bermuda RCI or Celebrity cruise from where we live).

Thank you!

We took an excursion to Chankanaab. There are probably better places to snorkle, but you can snorkle as well as many other activities. We only shopped after we arrived back to the port area. I never felt unsafe.

I concur that I have always felt safe in Cozumel. The immediate port area is fenced in and you must have a cruise card or badge (for vendors) to enter. There is plenty of shopping with typical souvenirs in the port area. The taxis are easy to use and the prices are listed ahead of time, so there is no haggling over prices. They depend on tourism, so they do not want to scare away the tourists.

For a beach day, I would HIGHLY recommend Nachi Cocom (google it for reservations). I've been there twice and look forward to going back in the future. It includes the beach with lounge chairs and an umbrella, unlimited drinks, lunch, and swimming pool. There are additional activities for extra charges (massage, snorkel, parasail, etc.), but we have always been satisfied to just enjoy the beach and pool. It is about a 15 minute taxi ride from the port, and when you let your server know you are ready to return to the ship, they will call a taxi for you. I think it is about $55 per person.

If you go to the "Ports of Call" section, and then to "Cozumel," you will find lots more info with more reviews and excursions to consider.

We were in Cozumel last week. And it is okay.

As in any of these Islands. Don't stray away from the tourist spots.

The cruise ships bring a lot of revenue to the city. They aren't going to let petty thieves ruin the reputation.

As for after the ships leave it might be another story. We had to get off the Allure in St Thomas due to an illness and spend 3 days there. And you wouldn't want to walk around after dark. And it's a US protectorate.

Edited by rt1092

We always feel 100% safe in Cozumel and have been many times. In fact, it's one of our favorite ports. The people are friendly and food is delicious. The shopping is the same within the cruise port as it is in the downtown area which is a $4 cab ride (the default drop off location is Diamonds Int'l which is in the same complex as Pancho's Backyard.) If you want to enjoy a fabulous day at the beach snorkeling, eating and relaxing, take a look at Nachi Cocom. This all inclusive always gets rave reviews (see Ports of Call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210) Other all-inclusives also have very good reviews, however, we've only been to Nachi Cocom. The taxi fare is a set rate. I believe it was $14 the last time we went. The drive is on a lightly traveled 4-lane divided highway that runs parallel to the beach. Nassau and Cozumel are a world apart. You're in for a treat ...

We've been to Cozumel about 15 times and never felt unsafe. You can shop at the terminal but it's nicer to go into town.

We always go to Paradise Beach. You pay $2 admission fee which gets you a beach chair and it's a la carte after that, $10 minimum per person. They recently started giving souvenier glasses with soft drinks for $8.50, so make sure you tell them you don't want that. We don't go to all inclusives because we don't eat or drink much.

Anything can happen anywhere in this world. If someone gets robbed at gunpoint in Cozumel, is it now unsafe? Crime is everywhere. The goal is not to make yourself a target. Their has to be crime stats for Cozumel somewhere on the web, search it out.

I was there last week and never felt unsafe. We docked at the international pier and walked out and over to the carnival pier because it is a bit nicer and never felt unsafe. The road to the downtown area runs along the beach and there are lots of tourist businesses but I wouldn't want yo well it. Too far for me.

We have been to Coz many times, 8 times to Nachi Cocom. Once to Isla Passion.

I have always felt safe there, safer than downtown San Antonio even. I don't think the crime rate proportionately speaking is any worse than any American city. In fact Cozumel is my all time favorite port with a city.(love Coco Caye)

We've been there at least 3 times. The first time we took a ship's excursion. The last two trips, we have walked to the pier where Carnival docks and there's a lot of shopping and Pancho's Backyard. It's about 3/4 mile walk along the main roadway and we feel perfectly safe doing so.

Most of the problems with the drug cartels and gangs has been on the west coast of Mexico better known as the Mexican Riviera. As Ziggypup mentioned crime can occur anywhere. Just use common sense and don't do anything to make yourself a target for crime.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We love Cozumel. We even booked an excursion outside the ship last time. You dock there and it is a very nice dock. As you walk off you see many taxis. I got in a taxi with my husband and two daughters and felt fine. Would I want to walk around drunk at night? No, but I wouldn't do that in my home town either. Chankanaub was where we went. I would only suggest it there if you plan on doing the dolphin experience. Otherwise I'd probably head to one of the beach places mentioned earlier.

You should feel just fine in the taxi to and from the ship to those places.

Debbie

Because my roomie was doing some sort of SCUBA thing, I decided to take a cab into town. Browsed and shopped until I became bored and then decided to do a "glass bottom boat" tour offered at a booth in the middle of town.

When I pulled out my money I realized that all I had was a $100 bill(stupid me, I know) but the young booth operator took it and indicated he'd be back. He takes off running with my money and I feel like the biggest American tourist jerk in all of Mexico.

But he came back! The delay was long enough to cause me concern but he came back, gave me my change, and I joined the line of folks being auctioned off to the operators of colorful small boats in the harbor.

The boat trip isn't much to write about but it was a lovely example of honesty of the everyday worker.

I am more afraid of the jewelry sellers than anything else there. Some of them are less than honest so just be aware....as of course you plan to do.

I have been going to Cozumel since 1982. Our last time there was last month, on the Liberty of the Seas. We can walk from the International pier to town......it's the main road, and no one will bother you. It's a long walk, and easier to take a cab. The rates are posted at the pier.

Take a look at how many cruise ships dock in Cozumel, on a daily basis. There have been a few people robbed over the years, mostly in out of the way places, where you should not be in the first place.

There is more crime in most European cities than happens in Cozumel...why?

Because Cozumel depends about 99.9% on tourism.

Also, one thing to consider.....your cruise ship is not there overnight......so you are only there during daylight hours. We have stayed in hotels in Cozumel, for a week at a time, and have been out at night, and I have more fear of an airplane that I'm on going down, than I do of roaming the downdown area at night.

There are some that have a fear of Mexico. As long as where the tourists are........you will have no problems, and I hope that you venture out, and enjoy all that Cozumel has to offer you!;)

Rick

Edited by rubrrick
added verbage

On a cruise two summers ago, I did the Amazing Cozumel Race and 13 teams ended up going all over the place in downtown Cozumel as we raced to find clues and different locations. It was a lot of fun. I never felt unsafe. Local people must have been used to seeing the teams and pointed the way at times.

It did not occur to me that we would not be safe doing this. Maybe something has changed, but all the teams arrived at the finish line with only good things to say about their experience.

I try to be careful wherever I am and try to be aware, and I plan to snorkel in Cozumel in May. Have a great cruise!

Edited by KansasK
left out a word.

I have been going to Cozumel since 1982. Our last time there was last month, on the Liberty of the Seas. We can walk from the International pier to town......it's the main road, and no one will bother you. It's a long walk, and easier to take a cab. The rates are posted at the pier.

Take a look at how many cruise ships dock in Cozumel, on a daily basis. There have been a few people robbed over the years, mostly in out of the way places, where you should not be in the first place.

There is more crime in most European cities than happens in Cozumel...why?

Because Cozumel depends about 99.9% on tourism.

Also, one thing to consider.....your cruise ship is not there overnight......so you are only there during daylight hours. We have stayed in hotels in Cozumel, for a week at a time, and have been out at night, and I have more fear of an airplane that I'm on going down, than I do of roaming the downdown area at night.

There are some that have a fear of Mexico. As long as where the tourists are........you will have no problems, and I hope that you venture out, and enjoy all that Cozumel has to offer you!;)

Rick

Rick, we too have walked from the pier to downtown. 5 miles round trip. The further from the port the nicer it was. As you approach downtown you start to get venders sell their products again. We got to see things you wouldn't see from a taxi window, and burned a few calories from the ship.

You are only as safe as you best move, and we did not feel concerned for our safety.

Edited by A&L_Ont

When we were there in December we needed to go in search of some rope ( to hang our recently acquired hammock) and a screwdriver (to change the batteries on our Christmas lights). Took a taxi downtown and started asking vendors. No luck. Finally one directed us to the local market where the Mexicans shopped hat was 4 blocks back from the main road. Very interesting place. Had a great time looking at all the local goods and foods and never once felt unsafe.