Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

There she is!

The decks look deserted (which I guess makes sense, given how absolutely freezing it is here!). I keep waiting for a pack of zombies to shamble into view, waving their arms and calling for "braiiiins" to feed their virus...

Yeah, I'm a little punchy waiting to hear from hubby!

The decks look deserted (which I guess makes sense, given how absolutely freezing it is here!). I keep waiting for a pack of zombies to shamble into view, waving their arms and calling for "braiiiins" to feed their virus...

I only saw one person on a balcony, I was wondering where they all are too!

I bet the ship still smells better than that Carnival one stuck for days did...even with the fun Noro gives off....

And yes I've had Noro.....so much...fun (good for cruise food baby elimination)

Although, thankfully, I never got norovirus which is far more severe than my situation, I did take a very nasty fall a few years ago on the Voyager. The right side of my chest was bruised from the purell station pole "stabbing" me as I fell. I was more black than blue and I had to ice it repeatedly every 2 hours. Talk about pain! I couldn't go ashore to Belize because of the pain and icing. I lasted one hour in Cozumel and had to return to the ship. I couldn't wear a bathing suit or a bra. I had to get 2 pain shots in the infirmary in addition to strong oral pain meds. It was agony trying to find a comfy position to sleep. It also rained for 2 of the 3 ports. I was in acute pain the 2nd and 3rd day of the cruise and moderate pain until after I got home. Know something? It WAS a great cruise. Wonderful friends were made on that cruise.

If you think the above was based on fraud or some really good drugs, I have a lemonade recipe I can send you.

I broke my ankle on the Serenade of the seas.. I iced it and hobbled around for the rest of the cruise. I did this on the mini gold course and it was my own fault, I took responsibility and never asked RCCL for anything. I lie, I asked them for a bag of ice..

I HIGHLY suggest you only use the Immodium in a situation where you won't have ready & frequent access to a toilet (ie. a plane.) That med does NOTHING to resolve whatever is causing the frequent visits. All it does is inhibit the instestines from rapidly evacuating whatever is causing the irritation to your system. Once the drug wears off, you are still left with a gut full of the bug and your body will pick up right where it left off. You would essentially be prolonging your suffering instead of letting your body do what it needs to do. If you can keep it down, the anti-nausea meds are not a bad idea, but the Immodium or like meds really should be avoided in 99% of situations.

Thank you Caronrick, you make perfect sense, I think I will take your advice..

I HIGHLY suggest you only use the Immodium in a situation where you won't have ready & frequent access to a toilet (ie. a plane.) That med does NOTHING to resolve whatever is causing the frequent visits. All it does is inhibit the instestines from rapidly evacuating whatever is causing the irritation to your system. Once the drug wears off, you are still left with a gut full of the bug and your body will pick up right where it left off. You would essentially be prolonging your suffering instead of letting your body do what it needs to do. If you can keep it down, the anti-nausea meds are not a bad idea, but the Immodium or like meds really should be avoided in 99% of situations.

Do you have a reference for this?

I use immodium for my patients all the time, the only exception is if they have c. diff. Viruses are generally eliminated by the immune system, not mechanically. My gastroenterology buddy next door confirms there's no contraindication to anti-diarrhea meds in norovirus.

If I'm wrong I'd really like to know so I can stop giving the wrong advice. I hope you can point me to your source.

I use immodium for my patients all the time, the only exception is if they have c. diff. Viruses are generally eliminated by the immune system, not mechanically. My gastroenterology buddy next door confirms there's no contraindication to anti-diarrhea meds in norovirus.

If I'm wrong I'd really like to know so I can stop giving the wrong advice. I hope you can point me to your source.

They used to believe that you had to "shed" the stomach virus through your intestines. That is no longer the case. Your own immune system gets rid of the virus in a couple of days. So, I believe you are giving the correct information.

That is really good to know! I had once heard/read not to take immodium and let nature run its course, but what you said makes a lot of sense, I had never though of it that way. Thanks for sharing, DrD! When people with noro go to the ship doctor would they generally be given an over the counter type immodium or similar?

Thanks for this doc - very helpful!

At least 629 passengers and 54 cruise workers got sick, but not all at the same time.

According to the CDC, that wins Explorer of the Seas the distinction of being the cruise ship with the highest number of sick people in 20 years.

RCCL said all passengers would get a 50% refund and a 50% credit for a future cruise.

Those passengers who were ordered quarantined to their rooms will get an additional credit of one future cruise day for each day in confinement.

First hand reference without digging into my old books is the years I spent working with several physicians as a military medic, who all stated the same thing.

A quick online search for Loperamide Mechanisim of Action (Medical name for Immoium for those that are wondering) came up with this.

From drugbank . ca : In vitro and animal studies show that Loperamide acts by slowing intestinal motility and by affecting water and electrolyte movement through the bowel. Loperamide inhibits peristaltic activity by a direct effect on the circular and longitudinal muscles of the intestinal wall. It is a non-selective calcium channel blocker and binds to opioid mu-receptors. Evidence also suggests that at higher concentrations it binds to calmodulin. and In man, Loperamide prolongs the transit time of the intestinal contents.

From rxlist . com :

Treatment of diarrhea with IMODIUM (loperamide hcl) is only symptomatic. Whenever an underlying etiology can be determined, specific treatment should be given when appropriate (or when indicated).

I am not talking down the drug, believe me I have used it on many necessary occasions. I only advise that people know what they are putting into their bodies, what the drugs do and make informed decisions. :) I will not get into the auto immune response to the virus, because I do not have nearly enough knowledge to talk to it, but what you say does make sense. At the end of the day people are going to do whatever they want anyways, frequently against medical advise. :D

I agree. Im wondering if there are an hotels available in New Jersey on Wed with the Super Bowl on Sunday there looking like their filling up already..RCCL can't just ask people to leave if they have nowhere to go.

You have a very interesting perspective to share with us since you were on the Noro cruise to nowhere. Do you remember how many got sick on that cruise?

Do you think that coming back to NJ was RCCL's choice or do you think the CDC is running the show now?

A news reporter said it was the captain's decision to return early.

A news reporter said it was the captain's decision to return early.[/quote

It makes perfect business sense as well... This cruise was already ruined so why not get the ship back to NJ where they could do the appropriate cleaning procedure recommended by the CDC. I read someplace, they need 48 hours to insure the bug is killed for the next cruise so she'll be all cleaned up and ready for her cruise on the 31st.

I bet the ship still smells better than that Carnival one stuck for days did...even with the fun Noro gives off....

And yes I've had Noro.....so much...fun (good for cruise food baby elimination)

I think I'd rather deal with going to the bathroom in a plastic bag in the trash can than deal with having Noro- especially if the other people in my cabin have Noro as well. Multiple people quarantined with only one toilet sounds like hell.

That said- I think the media overplays this thing. There were A LOT of people on that ship who did not get sick. (I do wonder how the rest of the vacation went for them, so not saying it was fun- but it probably wasn't awful...I'd be washing my hands every twenty seconds.)

That said- I think the media overplays this thing. There were A LOT of people on that ship who did not get sick. (I do wonder how the rest of the vacation went for them, so not saying it was fun- but it probably wasn't awful...I'd be washing my hands every twenty seconds.)

Exactly.

At least 629 passengers and 54 cruise workers got sick, but not all at the same time.

According to the CDC, that wins Explorer of the Seas the distinction of being the cruise ship with the highest number of sick people in 20 years.

RCCL said all passengers would get a 50% refund and a 50% credit for a future cruise.

Those passengers who were ordered quarantined to their rooms will get an additional credit of one future cruise day for each day in confinement.

That's one distinction I'm sure they don't want....those numbers are staggering to me.

I wonder why so many were infected and ill...makes me wonder if it was food that caused it and not just a handful of people who may have had the virus and boarded the ship.

It seems like too many for it to have been caused just from infected guests or crew. Hopefully they'll be able to pinpoint the cause.

Wishing everyone on that ship a safe trip home...they've been through a lot, especially those who were/are ill.