I feel the movement on the big ships!

raerenee

I was just on the Oasis and I felt the ship rocking and rolling every night. I have been on much smaller ships and I think it's all the same. I remember reading that the newer and larger ships don't move as much. I can tell you they do!

I was just on the Oasis and I felt the ship rocking and rolling every night. I have been on much smaller ships and I think it's all the same. I remember reading that the newer and larger ships don't move as much. I can tell you they do!

I think its nonsense for people to say you will not feel any movement on a big ship. That may be true when the ocean looks like a sheet of glass but even as big as the Oasis is, its a grain of salt compared to the vast ocean.

If the ocean moves enough, it really doesnt matter what ship you are on! You will feel the motion. :)

Maybe the seas were rougher than usual? :)

Edited by ryano

Of course you'll feel movement! A ship is but a cork floating on that great, big sea! And, it depends on the types of swells, and the heights of the waves. Yes...you will feel it, if it's rough enough, no matter how big the ship!

We've noticed a difference between the eastern and western itineraries. Our westerns have been smooth sailing but eastern gets a little bumpy when crossing into the Caribbean Sea especially this time of year. We're on Allure western now and it's been incredibly smooth so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What deck were you on? We're going to be on Deck 12 so I might have to bring some seasick meds with me just to be on the safe side. Thanks.

we were on deck 10 aft. I hear the back of the ship is always worse. It wasn't enough to make me sick but at night I guess the ship goes faster cause that is when I felt it the most.

I think its nonsense for people to say you will not feel any movement on a big ship. That may be true when the ocean looks like a sheet of glass but even as big as the Oasis is, its a grain of salt compared to the vast ocean.

If the ocean moves enough, it really doesnt matter what ship you are on! You will feel the motion. :)

Maybe the seas were rougher than usual? :)

I don't think it was too rough. Only four foot waves but it was very windy. Certain decks are worse than others.

Of course you'll feel movement! A ship is but a cork floating on that great, big sea! And, it depends on the types of swells, and the heights of the waves. Yes...you will feel it, if it's rough enough, no matter how big the ship!

This may be the only instance where I agree with you 100%! :D

I felt a LOT more movement on Freedom then I did on Monarch and Radiance! BUT the seas were much rougher.

It just seems silly to make such a blanket statement that there is no movement on Oasis and Allure. Way too many factors involved

The Oasis is far more effected by wind that seas. when we were on her in January 2010 you could feel her moving, but it was a side to side movement from the wind rather than the front to back rising and falling that usually happens from the waves. She had virtually no front to back movement and we didn't realize how bad it really was out there until we got to the airport afterwards and everyone from the other ships was going on and on about how they had throw up bags everywhere and people were getting sick the whole time. We just had the slight side to side rocking. It was really interesting when looking at the pools because the water flowed properly on the beach pool.

The small ships move much more than any large ship. We had 40 foot waves during the day and 60-80 foot waves at night on the Independence last year and I think the ship moved less than the Grandeur did last week with 10 foot waves. The larger the ship the more it takes to move them and the slower the rising and falling is when it does occur. It's physics, no arguing that. Anything floating in the ocean will have movement if the circumstances are right.

I go bonkers when some posters tell people that when sailing on these bigger ships you will feel no motion. Either they have never been on a cruise with anything other than smooth seas, or they did in fact feel motion but did not remember it because they were lucky enough not to be bothered by it.

One can absolutely feel motion on these ships! It all depends on the seas at the time - the type of waves and the direction. You can have 7' seas that barely move the ship at all, or 7' seas where it is rolling back and forth - it all depends on the direction of the waves and how the ship is interacting with them - following them, heading into them, or being hit sideways by them. Where you are on the ship of course has a lot to do with it (lower mid-ship being the best) but if you encounter seas as high as 30' (which I have, and by the way it was on a Western Caribbean cruise in the spring), then everyone will feel that motion believe me! Some lucky ones may not be bothered by it (like my DH) but every single person on that ship will feel it - crew included.

The Oasis is far more effected by wind that seas. when we were on her in January 2010 you could feel her moving, but it was a side to side movement from the wind rather than the front to back rising and falling that usually happens from the waves. She had virtually no front to back movement and we didn't realize how bad it really was out there until we got to the airport afterwards and everyone from the other ships was going on and on about how they had throw up bags everywhere and people were getting sick the whole time. We just had the slight side to side rocking. It was really interesting when looking at the pools because the water flowed properly on the beach pool.

The small ships move much more than any large ship. We had 40 foot waves during the day and 60-80 foot waves at night on the Independence last year and I think the ship moved less than the Grandeur did last week with 10 foot waves. The larger the ship the more it takes to move them and the slower the rising and falling is when it does occur. It's physics, no arguing that. Anything floating in the ocean will have movement if the circumstances are right.

40-80 ft sea! I can't even imagine. What was that like???

Hopefully nobody goes too bonkers over my reply. :p

In my experiences, the ship I have felt the most motion on was Freedom of the Seas. Oasis of the Seas felt the most stable to me so far. I honestly did not feel a thing on Oasis.

Now, that being said, I believe the motion of a ship is going to be different for each individual on board the same cruise. My girlfriend constantly talks about the motion of the ships while we are walking around or eating dinner in the dining room. Where as for me, I hardly notice anything, if I even notice it at all.

She's just more sensitive to the motion than I am. And each person is going to have a different tolerance level. I guess mine just so happens to be higher to where it takes a more severe list from side to side for me to notice.

Brilliance this past December out of Tampa. There were nights the Solarium pool was splashing all over the place and they had to place these acrylic walls up to reduce to water splashing over into the lounging area because the ship was rocking so much. If you look up a picture of the Brilliance pool and see the small elephants in the water, the pool was splashing over the top of them at times. But even then, I couldn't feel anything.

So it's all going to be dependent upon the person. No sense in trying to start an argument or debate over, "Well I felt it so you're lying when you say you didn't". Just my opinion though.

My entire family never felt a thing on either the Oasis nor the Allure. The first time we were on the back of deck 10. The last one we were aft to middle on deck 8.

Put me in that "didn't feel anything at all". Heck, half the time I didn't know when we pulled out of a port until someone said, oh looks like we just left. LOL

(and no, I was not intoxicated it was just smooth as glass both trips)

:D

Been on more than 15 cruises...13 different ships big and small and felt movement on every single one.

Anybody that tells you that you won 't feel any movement on a ship is lying to you. lol (just kidding)

Some people are less sensitive to it so maybe those are the people saying they don't feel anyghing.

Edited by styles27

....and we've been on Oasis - twice - and felt no motion at all, but felt the worst motion ever on Jewel, which is much smaller. And both ships are stabilized to minimize motion.

The statement I just made is completely true and accurate. But it - as with yours - basically means very little because any ship, regardless of size, will feel motion if the seas are rough and will have little motion when the seas are calm. What matters is the sea conditions you were in at the time - along with your sensitivity to motion.

My guess would be that the seas were somewhat rough if you felt the ship "rocking and rolling" as you describe, because the two times we were on her, we could barely tell we were even moving.

It's all relative to the seas......

There are also many other factors involved in the motion of a ship. Pitch will be felt more at the extreme fore and aft and less so amidships. Roll will be more noticeable on higher decks. The most stable place will be amidships on the lowest deck along the keel line.

Also, most of today's cruise ships are also shallow draft, meaning there is less of the ship below the waterline which will decrease stability. Other factors also include various factors of buoyancy, center of gravity, and the use or non use of stabilizers. If anyone has noticed that all of the voyager class and newer ships also have the rear duck tail like sponson near the waterline. This is constructed to help improve stability.

So I would say that a blanket statement if larger ships being more stable would be incorrect as well

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Been on more than 15 cruises...13 different ships big and small and felt movement on every single one.

Anybody that tells you that you won 't feel any movement on a ship is lying to you. lol (just kidding)

Some people are less sensitive to it so maybe those are the people saying they don't feel anyghing.

Like you we have been on 15 cruises, from Majesty to Navigator; cruising on Allure in June 2014. I have always felt the 'soft movement' of the ship....thank goodness....at least we are not stuck in place (LOL), but NO it does not disturb me or cause any ill affects....that is the difference.

Like with everything else, people are affected by things differently.

I truly enjoy the soft movement of the ship as I lay down to sleep after a great day of excursions or fun things done on the ship on an 'at sea' day followed by an evening of activities.

I've decided that I won't cruise in the winter anymore for the reason that I *always* get seasick due to rough seas or weather. I think this is mostly or entirely due to the wind during a cold front. Even in hurricane season, I have never been seasick (knock on wood).

Hopefully nobody goes too bonkers over my reply. :p

In my experiences, the ship I have felt the most motion on was Freedom of the Seas. Oasis of the Seas felt the most stable to me so far. I honestly did not feel a thing on Oasis.

Now, that being said, I believe the motion of a ship is going to be different for each individual on board the same cruise. My girlfriend constantly talks about the motion of the ships while we are walking around or eating dinner in the dining room. Where as for me, I hardly notice anything, if I even notice it at all.

She's just more sensitive to the motion than I am. And each person is going to have a different tolerance level. I guess mine just so happens to be higher to where it takes a more severe list from side to side for me to notice.

Brilliance this past December out of Tampa. There were nights the Solarium pool was splashing all over the place and they had to place these acrylic walls up to reduce to water splashing over into the lounging area because the ship was rocking so much. If you look up a picture of the Brilliance pool and see the small elephants in the water, the pool was splashing over the top of them at times. But even then, I couldn't feel anything.

So it's all going to be dependent upon the person. No sense in trying to start an argument or debate over, "Well I felt it so you're lying when you say you didn't". Just my opinion though.

We were on Brilliance for New Years and the last day and night were probably the roughest nights I have had at sea ever. I felt nothing when I was on the Oasis. I can say that not all captains use the stabilizers to the same extent. There are times you should feel nothing but it is obvious the stabilizers are off. The Allure moved a bit and I felt nothing on Freedom. Now 21 years ago, the Majesty was rocking like crazy and they had barf bags available in the hallways. There were no stabilizers then. I was shocked at how smooth the Monarch was 2 years ago after my Majesty experience. Stabilizers are the winner!