Possible new dining option for suite guests

Bababooey Land

[quote name='junetraveler2014']Bet ya if Celebrity charged a fee for the Suite restaurant or Blu..[/QUOTE]

I've suggested this elsewhere, suggested $25 per suite guest per day to include dinner and Breakfast. Then it still is special to BLU, and suites PAY for it if they choose to use it, per day or entire trip as desired, maybe 20% off for full sailing or something, but less than other options as far as specialty restaurants are, so still available to Suite guests as well. Then can be reserved/scheduled appropriately in advance as well.

So it is much more fair I believe.

I think you can pretty much count on a price increase for suites if this gets put into place. That increase may be hidden, but one way or the other celebrity is trying to increase profit and every recent change has been focused on that one line.

I would expect that increase to be in the neighborhood of today's difference in a C2 cabin and an A1 cabin....given that the only real difference between C2 and A1 is Blu.....roughly $30 a night per person.

There is virtually no chance (IMHO) of celebrity eliminating a revenue source (bistro on 5) and converting it to a dining room without an expectation of increasing profit.....so if you are in favor of this proposal, keep in mind that it won't come free. Edited by ghstudio

I actually wrote something on my comment card on our last cruise relative to this subject. I actually wrote it on a separate piece of paper ....it wqas too long to write on the card.

My wife and I enjoy suites (usually RS) on our Celebrity cruises. We usually take fewer cruises (than I would like) in order to be able to make it more affordable to us, but we do feel very blessed that we are able to cruise this way. We have sailed in suites on HAL, Oceania, RCCL, NCL Haven, and Cunard, and find it interesting the different "perks" one gets with different lines.

We enjoy dining in Blu, but realize that this venue was not created of a size to handle all the suite guests as well as the Aqua guests.
I offered Celebrity several alternative suggestions on my comment card:
1. Deny suite guests free access to Blu for free anymore and raise the charge to $10 for dinner (definitely the least preferable from my subjective standpoint)
2. Open one of the Speciality restaurants for suite breakfast and lunch (similar to how they use Tuscan Grille for "Elite" members). Then allow free access to suite guests to all speciality restaurants for dinner. This would include Blu as an option.
3. Change one of the restaurants (or redesign the dining room similar to the Blue change on M class ships) to be designated for suite use only for all 3 meals. If any other passengers wanted to dine there, they could do so for a charge and be on a space available basis.

I am glad that Celebrity is attempting to address the overcrowding problem at Blu. I would not assume that they are trying to "do away" with Bistro on Five....perhaps it just seems to be the obvious choice from some people's perspective.

I will find it interesting to see if Celebrity also "upgrades" suite perks to be similar to Zenith members in the future.

I think that, if Celebrity had put this separate restaurant in the original design rather that try to change something on the fly, it would have been much more palatable ...similar to the Haven on NCL.

Just my perspective.....

[quote name='nihaobao']As a suite guest, I would be quite happy to have free access to specialty restaurants for dinner and perhaps breakfast/lunch in an existing specialty spot. No need to take Bistro on 5 away from the many who clearly appreciate it.[/quote]

I am in complete agreement with you. As a frequent suite guest, I do not think I need any additional perks; the biggest perk for me is being able to afford the accommodation.

As someone who cruises about 80% of the time in a suite, I would be opposed to this change. I'm sorry, but say what you will, it will be perceived as a class distinction, regardless of how many of you say it won't. Since those who post here are a very small percentage of actual cruisers, I have the feeling that most others will view this as nothing more than separating the haves and have nots, which is a class system.

One of the great things about cruising on Crystal is you can book an E category cabin (lowest) or the Crystal Penthouse, and there's no distinction between any of their guests. There is no separate dining room for those who would spend 5 figures for the CP, and that's how it should be.

If Celebrity had kept to their original concept for Blu, that being, a healthier menu than the MDR, there would be no argument that AQ is a class distinction. But X went away from their concept, so people see AQ as a separate "class".

I also can't see how Bistro on 5 could handle all suite guests. It's a tiny restaurant with a kitchen that would have to greatly improved to prepare these supposedly fancier meals.

Now, if they want to allow suite guests to dine in any restaurant, that's fine. But a designated restaurant? No. Edited by kitty9

[quote name='kitty9']As someone who cruises about 80% of the time in a suite, I would be opposed to this change. I'm sorry, but say what you will, it will be perceived as a class distinction, regardless of how many of you say it won't. Since those who post here are a very small percentage of actual cruisers, I have the feeling that most others will view this as nothing more than separating the haves and have nots, which is a class system.

One of the great things about cruising on Crystal is you can book an E category cabin (lowest) or the Crystal Penthouse, and there's no distinction between any of their guests. There is no separate dining room for those who would spend 5 figures for the CP, and that's how it should be.

If Celebrity had kept to their original concept for Blu, that being, a healthier menu than the MDR, there would be no argument that AQ is a class distinction. But X went away from their concept, so people see AQ as a separate "class".

I also can't see how Bistro on 5 could handle all suite guests. It's a tiny restaurant with a kitchen that would have to greatly improved to prepare these supposedly fancier meals.[/quote]

Beautifully said!!

[quote name='kitty9']As someone who cruises about 80% of the time in a suite, I would be opposed to this change. I'm sorry, but say what you will, it will be perceived as a class distinction, regardless of how many of you say it won't. Since those who post here are a very small percentage of actual cruisers, I have the feeling that most others will view this as nothing more than separating the haves and have nots, which is a class system.

I also can't see how Bistro on 5 could handle all suite guests. It's a tiny restaurant with a kitchen that would have to greatly improved to prepare these supposedly fancier meals.

Now, if they want to allow suite guests to dine in any restaurant, that's fine. But a designated restaurant? No.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Well said. It's nice to see a comment of this nature written by a regular suite guest.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='galavant3']

Everyone has the option of choosing whatever cabin they want and receiving the benefits associated with that cabin. [B]It seems as if everyone wants to pay the lowest possible cost but receive the highest level of benefits[/B].

Personally, I think the a dining room for suite passengers is great idea...even though it is unlikely I'll ever eat there.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"]I agree. I've enjoyed the smaller dining rooms when I've been in appropriate cabins/suites. The food in the MDR is fine, but it tends to get a bit noisy in there which makes it difficult to carry on a conversation with one's tablemates.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Just returned from the Summit in a Royal Suite and opted to eat in the Normandie spec. dining every night because the noise and bedlam of the MDR is just not for us. I don't want to sit at a large table with strangers, I want a level of service like fine restaurants provide and I paid handsomely for that, in addition to the suite cost! We never saw but a few people in Bistro on 5 during the entire week which makes me wonder whether this venue is really as popular as some have indicated. I'd definitely be in favor of an alternative venue for dinner for suite passengers because that's what you're paying the extra fee for...same as airline seats, seats at a Broadway show or any other facet of vacation experience. Seems that there has to be a way to alleviate the strain on Blu dining facility and they are looking for ways to address that. As for those who decry the alleged move toward a "Cunard class system", you get what you pay for in this life...in the end, it's all about business and profitability on the part of any cruise line...just check the prices on the all- inclusives like Regents and Silverseas for a comparison.

[quote name='Anubi'][I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]This seems to be the beginning of the long and slippery slope. [COLOR="Red"]If Celebrity isn't 'classed' yet, it is certainly giving every appearance of heading that way[/COLOR] and if this proves out, this will be our first and probably last Celebrity cruise.

FWIW, I do not wish to take from suite guests but to be told right up front that you cannot dine in certain places, well it does leave a bad taste.

We have, by choice, avoided Cunard for this very reason. I really do not wish to add Celebrity to that list. :(:(:(
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]What in life isn't "classed"? From the college you attend to the neighborhood you live in, the car you drive, the clothes you wear, the section of the airplane you fly in - formally or informally there is a class system. WHY care what someone else is getting? I'm not going to spend any vacation time trying to figure out who is in the penthouse and who isn't. Get over it. Want the perks - then you have to pay extra. And for dining in places that you are told up front that you cannot dine in - there is Blu - if you are not Aqua or Suite - no entry and yet no one was screaming then. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='bigreckster']Just returned from the Summit in a Royal Suite and opted to eat in the Normandie spec. dining every night because the noise and bedlam of the MDR is just not for us. I don't want to sit at a large table with strangers, I want a level of service like fine restaurants provide and I paid handsomely for that, in addition to the suite cost! We never saw but a few people in Bistro on 5 during the entire week which makes me wonder whether this venue is really as popular as some have indicated. I'd definitely be in favor of an alternative venue for dinner for suite passengers because that's what you're paying the extra fee for...same as airline seats, seats at a Broadway show or any other facet of vacation experience. Seems that there has to be a way to alleviate the strain on Blu dining facility and they are looking for ways to address that. As for those who decry the alleged move toward a "Cunard class system", you get what you pay for in this life...in the end, it's all about business and profitability on the part of any cruise line...just check the prices on the all- inclusives like Regents and Silverseas for a comparison.[/quote]

You make an interesting argument. Perhaps suites are getting harder to sell because people with that kind of money are looking to other lines that offer a more all inclusive cruise. I must admit that I have looked at Oceania very closely. My husband, though, prefers larger ships. I enjoyed cruising with Azamara, but I thought the main dining room was very crowded. I did like the fact that there were no formal nights, though. You are right, we usually get what we pay for; however, have you read some of the threads on Cunard? Cunard's class system (at least to me) seems to encourage the snobs. At least on Oceania, Crystal, Regent, and so on, a passenger in an inside cabin is not sent symbolically to a lower class dining facility.

[quote name='bigreckster']Just returned from the Summit in a Royal Suite and opted to eat in the Normandie spec. dining every night because the noise and bedlam of the MDR is just not for us. I don't want to sit at a large table with strangers, I want a level of service like fine restaurants provide and I paid handsomely for that, in addition to the suite cost! We never saw but a few people in Bistro on 5 during the entire week which makes me wonder whether this venue is really as popular as some have indicated. I'd definitely be in favor of an alternative venue for dinner for suite passengers because that's what you're paying the extra fee for...same as airline seats, seats at a Broadway show or any other facet of vacation experience. Seems that there has to be a way to alleviate the strain on Blu dining facility and they are looking for ways to address that. As for those who decry the alleged move toward a "Cunard class system", you get what you pay for in this life...in the end, it's all about business and profitability on the part of any cruise line...just check the prices on the all- inclusives like Regents and Silverseas for a comparison.[/quote]

I do not believe this is a "get what you pay for" situation. As it is proposed, one is asked to pay more for a certain room in order to get into a different restaurant. For those of us that don't spend much time in our rooms it is difficult to reconcile paying more for the room in order to have full access to other parts of the ship. Previous posts even have me laughing at the irony that some suite passengers are upset that they may have to pay more for their suite in order to have an exclusive restaurant. When comparing Regent and Silversea, their price is an all inclusive package of better room, drinks, shore excursions, and food among other things which include full access to all the ship's venues. So my opinion is that by adding exclusive venues to Celebrity changes the dynamic of the cruise, and would more closely resemble Cunard not R or S. Those of us loyal to Celebrity developed the loyalty based on the status quo, and if this changes so too shall we.

[quote name='HappyTvlr']So my opinion is that by adding exclusive venues to Celebrity changes the dynamic of the cruise, and would more closely resemble Cunard not R or S. [/quote]

If they just gave the suites "free" access to the specialty restaurants, would you be ok with that? Everyone has access to those restaurants as long as they pay for it either by increased fare or by the day.

Hasn't this been the case for Aqua class for quite a while? They pay more for an exclusive dining experience.

Also, many of the smaller all inclusive lines simply don't have the space to add extra "suite" dining. I'm not convinced that if it was possible, they wouldn't do it. Plus on those ships, eveyone is paying, what I consider to be, "suite prices". In fact, most refer to all cabins as "suites". Edited by galavant3

[quote name='Airbalancer']Tough ! My mommy makes the the best crepes ,
So no way would I pay for crepes :cool:
She also makes the best pierogis :p

Cathycruises just buy your spurs , because you are full of -- :D[/QUOTE]

Ok Mark can go stay with his mom. I'm going with Cathy :D

I haven't read the entire thread but as cruisers who book suites this is a nice sign to see that X is trying to ramp up suite perks to meet that of other cruise lines.

One thing that I liked about NCL was the use of Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. Nice menus in a small venue was great. Not sure about dinner as we like to dine at the specialty restaurants but having the option would be nice.

[quote name='Anubi'][I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]This seems to be the beginning of the long and slippery slope. If Celebrity isn't 'classed' yet, it is certainly giving every appearance of heading that way and if this proves out, this will be our first and probably last Celebrity cruise. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]

[I][B][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]FWIW, I do not wish to take from suite guests but to be told right up front that you cannot dine in certain places, well it does leave a bad taste. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/I]

[I][B][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]We have, by choice, avoided Cunard for this very reason. I really do not wish to add Celebrity to that list. :(:(:([/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/I]
[/quote]

Celebrity, RCI,NCL Cunard, and other allready have "special" options that you can't join in as a regular passenger, you won't have a lot of choice in the budget mid market if you take that approach to choosing your cruise line.

Many refer to Cunard in this thread but I'm intrigued how many of the posters have experience of Cunard ships. I feel that the reality is not how it is widely, incorrectly perceived.

Just like the specialty places on X. If you pay more you get to dine somewhere different. If separate dining is so objectionable X should close Tuscan, Murano etc as it seems to be at odds with their guests wishes.

Early in this thread NCL was also discussed for their 'class' system, but I've not heard anyone write they dislike that system equally.

If they just gave the suites "free" access to the specialty restaurants, would you be ok with that? Everyone has access to those restaurants as long as they pay for it either by increased fare or by the day.

Hasn't this been the case for Aqua class for quite a while? They pay more for an exclusive dining experience.

Also, many of the smaller all inclusive lines simply don't have the space to add extra "suite" dining. I'm not convinced that if it was possible, they wouldn't do it. Plus on those ships, eveyone is paying, what I consider to be, "suite prices". In fact, most refer to all cabins as "suites".

That's how it's done on Azamara, the suites get free access to the speciality restaurants and everyone else has to pay to use them.:eek:

That's how it's done on Azamara, the suites get free access to the speciality restaurants and everyone else has to pay to use them.:eek:

A good way of handling it, giving the suite guests the extra perk without any need to close the Bistro or otherwise take away from the non-suite guests. Assuming, of course, that there is still room in the specialty restaurants for others to make reservations.