Blu, Worth the Upgrade?

Lightngsvt

Last year we cruised the Silhouette to the western caribbean and loved it! We were in Concierge Class and not sure we really took advantage of most of the amenities. We are looking at a last minute cruise in about 6 weeks to the eastern on the Reflection and are considering Aqua Class this time. The spa amenities sound nice, but Blu seems to be a nice bonus (we ate at the specialties every night except one last year).

I've good and bad reviews about Blu, what are the latest opinions? My wife has gotten more health conscious and is working out regularly and eating healthy and she is concerned about the cruise because of all of the amazingly delicious and unhealthy dining options. Is Blu really that much healthier than the MDR or other specialty restaurants? Will the MDR do lighter fare? Oh man Im not sure if Ill be able to skip the gelataria!

Blu is awesome but I would hesitate to say that the food is more healthy, although it is definitely more interesting and better prepared. The portions are often a little smaller than standard MDR dishes but you would still have to spend a lot of time in the gym to work off three courses.

The food in Blu is not "healthier" than the MDR. The portions are just a little smaller. I know food is very subjective and Blu has been discussed to death on these boards, but we love Blu and always travel in Aqua Class or a Suite just to be able to eat there. We love the food and the fact that it is smaller than the MDR.

I absolutely love Blu, not only for the food but for the excellent service, atmosphere and no formal wear required!

For us, it would be well worth it. As said before, not sure if the food is healthier but definitely more interesting. I had some salmon there one night that was the best I've ever tasted.

The smoothies at breakfast are also outstanding.

We cannot afford AQ on every cruise but Blu is definitely a factor when booking. It really is just that wonderful.

Ditto - really like Blu. Or probably it's because we are not fans of the MDR. Not sure the cost for you to upgrade but when we just booked the Equinox 10 day we chose CC because AQ was another $500. But we already splurged a bit going for 10 nights instead of our normal 7.

Just returned from Reflection sailing in Blu. Blu was much better on the Silhouette last year. Menu was heavy on duck and they were not as eager to arrange for something off menu as they were in the past. . I would spend less for the cabin and eat in specialty restaurants instead unless the difference was less than $50. Pp

I agree with other psoter that Aqua class is all about price point.

I think you can find healthy ,lighter fare in any dining venue if you scan the menu or walk around the buffet.

We were in AQ on the Constellation. Blu was a smaller dining room, loved the chairs and the chandelier, but the food was not that much different than MDR on the Constellaition. Cabin amendities is not worth it unless the price is reasonable and you like flowers!:)

I agree with other psoter that Aqua class is all about price point.

I think you can find healthy ,lighter fare in any dining venue if you scan the menu or walk around the buffet.

We were in AQ on the Constellation. Blu was a smaller dining room, loved the chairs and the chandelier, but the food was not that much different than MDR on the Constellaition. Cabin amendities is not worth it unless the price is reasonable and you like flowers!:)

If you compare the menu's the MDR and Blu do not offer the same item's.

The quality of the meat cuts and fish are much superior to what is offered in the MDR.

The OP is asking about S class whiich is much different then M class as well.

BLU is NOT "healthier" but I thought more sugar to compensate for anything that was suppose to be reduced fat. Smoothies are very HIGH in sugar (mentioned frequently on these boards)......much prefer using common sense in MDR, asking for more vegetables, et al and meeting other people, especially at breakfast,

Bistro on 5 is delicious (if Ship has it), and Specialty Rest.

Read the menus that are in the Big Book at Bistro on 5. If you live in cities

that have a large selection of good food restaurants, I thought BLU was a big

disappointment and certainly not healthier, nor very interesting, and often tasteless. Their soups were the best ; but I have had the same good soups in other venues on ship.

I will stick to my CC cabin & buy pass to Persian Garden.

Barbara

We have done 3 cruises in Blu, and many others in normal balcony cabins. We have a very simple formula which is that we will pay no more then $20 per passenger day (over a lower price regular balcony cabin) for Aqua Class. And we now wonder if we should change that standard to $15. Although we do enjoy Blu, we think that rather then paying more then $20 one is better off booking a lower priced balcony cabin (usually in a better location then the oft lousy location of AQ cabins) and using the savings to pay for a few meals in alternative restaurants.

Hank

Last year we did specialty restaurants6 of the 7 nights. Im more worried about good food than healthy, but my wife wants to be able to at least have some healthier(-ish) options regardless of where we eat.

We ate in Blu for one of our cruises, whilst it was good, I am in the minority in that I would not book Aqua class just to eat there. We enjoyed the mdr on our last cruise more, partly because of the ability to choose a larger table when you wanted to spend time talking with other travellers.

The food at both were comparable, plenty of options to eat well and healthily if you so wish.

Upgraded to AQ on our last Constellation holiday cruise because of a price drop. BLU got us hooked on AQ. Not any other of the perks - just BLU.

Food is good and nicely presented. However, for us it is not so much about the food beeing better or more healthy than the food in MDR but more about the whole dining experience: no rush, more quiet, more relaxed and intimate... those are the things we really liked. So much that we are willing to pay considerably more on our already booked two next cruises.

We did Aqua on the British Isles cruise after getting an upgrade.

BLU is great. I would love to do it on every cruise, but unwilling to pay $500 pp to upgrade from a veranda. However, I will consider if the price difference is $200 pp/

My DH and I are in the minority that think Blu is highly over rated. We also did not enjoy the tables being 6 inches apart. The service was just mediocre. However, most people will disagree with us. You should try it for yourself, you may love it!

Is it true that formal attire is not required at the Blu restaurant? I'm sure a jacket for men is expected?

IF true, this is great news for us!

thanks,

janines

Formal wear is NOT required for Blu and the specialty restaurants. You will see some men with a jacket on formal night, but many who are glad to be able to avoid formal requirements (we would be among that number.) We'll be in AQ in May on Reflection for our Med cruise and we are very glad to not have to drag formal clothes across the Atlantic, or have to bother with them after a busy day of touring.

Edited by cynbar

Thanks for quick reply. We booked the Aqua class on an upcoming cruise from Santiago to Miami. The agent didn't mention no formal wear, but we got great info about our beverage package.

Thanks. This makes packing much easier.

janines

If food is the only issue, the specialty restaurants are a much better value than spending a similar amount for AQ. Also, the food is significantly better

Aqua is great since you see many of the same people every evening and make friends. The service is excellent and food is a bit above the MDR, with a slightly lighter touch.

We like it that the tables are close together, so we meet people.

Also, breakfast is excellent. You make a good point about the specialty restaurants, and of course the cost of Aqua could equal or exceed going to a specialty restaurant every night. Depends on what your pay for Aqua.

Blu is clean cuisine. Was told by thehead chef that the food comes from the same source and is the same as used in the MDR. The difference is how it is prepared. Olive oil will used instead of grease, skim milk instead of cream if possible and etc.

Portion size may be different but there is nothing that prevents you from consuming more calories than required for healthy or dietary purposes except your own self control. You can eat healthy at any restuarant if you make the right choices.

🌅🚢🍸🍻

We love Blu and will only book AQ. We got to know the other diners and a couple of nights joined other couples for dinner.

My husband did not take a blazer for formal night and he was in the minority and regretted not bringing it. For the next cruise, he'll be bringing a jacket (not sure about a tie) for formal night.