How to save money on alcohol on 1st cruise

dhunt074

Hello

I am taking my first cruise March 3rd, 2014 and I would like to know how to save money on alcohol for the cruise. Its a 5 day cruise and I just don't want to spend that much money in alcohol. Can someone please help me? What's the best way to save?

It kinda depends on what line you are on. Some lines allow you to bring 2 750ml bottles of wine aboard. That would help.

Many lines have a bar setup that you can purchase so you can make drinks in your room.

There is always the "hold back" method......

My opinion is that is is your vacation. Plan for a certain amount of drinking....save the money in advance and have a great time.

Please don't think about smuggling anything......it really is against the rules and could be confiscated (and won't be returned).

Don't drink alcohol? :rolleyes:

Seriously though a few questions to help us help you:

• Which cruise line are you traveling on?
  • What do you like to drink normally, ie beer, wine, cocktails, shots, ect..
  • How much do you normally drink in a day, 2-3 beers or 5-6 cocktails/mixed drinks?

Don't drink alcohol? :rolleyes:

Seriously though a few questions to help us help you:

• Which cruise line are you traveling on?
  • What do you like to drink normally, ie beer, wine, cocktails, shots, ect..
  • How much do you normally drink in a day, 2-3 beers or 5-6 cocktails/mixed drinks?

I will be on the Carnival Fascination. I like cocktails and shots. Usually on a night out, I can handle 5 cocktails. Wine is also great but I do know that I can bring a bottle of wine with me.

I will be on the Carnival Fascination. I like cocktails and shots. Usually on a night out, I can handle 5 cocktails. Wine is also great but I do know that I can bring a bottle of wine with me.

Honestly if you think you are going to drink a lot, you may want to check into the drink package. It includes pretty much any mixed drink up to $10, wine and beer. You're allowed 15 drinks a day, plus unlimited soda and virgin drinks. The mixed drinks run $6.50-8.50 each, wine $7-10 a glass... so 6 drinks a day and you break even.

Though you have to drink like that everyday, and everyone over 21 in your room has to purchase it.

If you don't want to go that route, you can always just budget for 2-3 drinks a day, stick with the DOD (drink of the day) and do NOT get the souvenir glass. Stay away from shots since they add up really quickly. And bring a bottle of wine or purchase a wine package one the ship.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

No help from us on how to save on alcohol. We always spend to much. The key is not to feel guilty about it. How often do you have the opportunity to drink a couple of extras in a fun place but can't without having to worry about driving home. :D

LuLu

~~~~

Other than bringing wine on board or abstaining there really isn't a way to save money. Keep in mind it's your vacation and budget for it. I don't drink a lot but wouldn't think of giving up a cold beer by the pool, a glass of wine on the veranda at sail away or a nice bottle of wine with dinner.

It's your vacation. Try and find other ways to save money and enjoy yourself.

Make lots of friends and let them buy you drinks.

Consider going with the drink package, it sounds like you would break even.

Do take into account though the amount of port days you have, and what you will be doing ashore.

The more port days the less you drink on board; the more you drink ashore will influuence the value of buying the drink package.

Cheers, h

animated-smileys-drinking-003.gifanimated-smileys-drinking-039.gifanimated-smileys-drinking-003.gifanimated-smileys-drinking-039.gifanimated-smileys-drinking-003.gif

I would like to know how to save money on alcohol for the cruise.

This is an oxymoron; if you are going to drink without sneaking your own alcohol on the ship you are not going to save money ;)

If you are looking for ways to sneak alcohol on your cruise than http://www.rockbottomcruises.com/alcohol_on_cruise.html pretty much gives you everything you need to know.

But it is against most cruise line policies to do so and for your 1st cruise you may not want to go through the fear of getting caught while you're supposed to be relaxing and enjoying your vacation. That and a bunch of other reasons I won't go into.

Hello

I am taking my first cruise March 3rd, 2014 and I would like to know how to save money on alcohol for the cruise. Its a 5 day cruise and I just don't want to spend that much money in alcohol. Can someone please help me? What's the best way to save?

Yes, you can order liters of alcohol from the Bon Voyage Dept. or room service when you board. They are pricey..$65-80 for a liter, but if you get a drink at the bar, that will run you $6+ for shelf liquor to $8+ For premium...plus 15% gratuity on each drink.

You can carry your mixers on board, and take a larger cup for drink, so you don't have to keep going back to room.

If you don't finish the liter, you can take the rest home with you...save a water bottle to pour the rest into if you are flying.

Edited by crzndeb

Hello

Drink moderately.

We generally don't have more than two cocktails a day and a glass of wine. That's a max, not a minimum. The key is not to start drinking early in the day. Wait until evening. Have a cocktail before dinner, then a glass of wine at dinner, and then a cocktail after dinner. Be sure to drink plenty of water and/or iced tea at dinner as well.

When we sailed on Carnival a couple of years ago, I bought the three-bottle wine package ahead of time to take care of our wine at dinner. They'll save anything left in a bottle for you to enjoy the next night, so you don't have to polish off a bottle every night. We carried on the one bottle per person that was allowed to consume in our cabin.

Ask for the 'house' gin & tonic, the 'house' bourbon, etc. (The 'house' gin is Bombay now on Carnival.) I get the house wine. These are less $$ and if you don't ask for it you may get higher priced alcohol. Every drink will have a 15% tip automatically added to your bill. My wine is $5.75, my husbands T&T (Tanqueray) is $6.50.

You can go to the main desk and they will print out your current bill any day. I tell 1st time cruisers to sit down before you look at your final bill which will be under your door the last morning. If your not sitting down, you can fall over when you see how much it is!

You pay more to have a bottle waiting for you in your room and have to go back to your cabin each time you want a drink. I don't think the package for drinks is worth it. You don't want to drink just to spend it and everyone in the cabin must buy it.

Edited by Bonnie J.

It's not a competition. Just because you can handle five cocktails, doesn't mean you have to. Could you handle zero?