Travel Agents and cancellation fees

ghstudio

We just booked B2B cruises for 2016 (it's never too early) and we first went to our usual TA. After working through all the details, perks, etc, we asked about cancellation fees. Answer: The agency now charges $100 per cruise per person.

Now I'm not sure I'll even be alive in 2016 and I certainly don't know if something will come up between now and then, but unless the perks offered by the TA were really unique and outstanding, it's not worth $400 to me should we cancel.

So I called agent #2 who I dealt with prior to the other agency...also a very large TA and explained what I wanted to do....and why I was calling them...and they actually offered me more than the first agency in the way of OBC so I booked with them. And, although it seems like a nit, they actually answered the phone and I didn't have to wait all day for a call back.

This is a message to TA's who feel that they can charge a cancellation fee. The message is simple....there are many travel agents out there. Just because you're large and have flashy "deal of the day" type weekly emails, you actually can lose customers....and I'm a many times repeat customer. Airlines roll back price increases...perhaps you should consider rolling back your cancellation fees (to zero).

Oh, I'll still use that agency...but only when they have a special group rate or some unique perk....and they do have some great deals, but you have to look carefully.

Folks....always shop prices and deals. Unless you are using a local agent who holds your hand, if you're on the internet, it's easy to check out four or five large agencies....and if you call them and tell them other offers you've found, some of them will match or even beat those offers.

Cancellation fees are way over blown. I have booked 31 cruises and have never had to cancel. Some day that day might come, but the $25 p.p., per cruise that my online travel agent would charge me would just be a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands and thousands of dollars they saved me. They always have big obcs, and sometimes they throw in gratuities, specialty dining, spa treatments among other things.

ghstudio -

With all due respect, understand there's a reason behind why some agencies charge to cancel. It's the same as why some agencies would charge a plan to go fee. They don't want their time wasted any more than you or I would.

For example - say Agency A spends lets say 3 hours servicing your booking for whatever reason, and then a year later, you decide you can no longer go. You expect them to just suck it up and have their time lost with 0 compensation? Would you work for free in your own profession? If you would, would you enjoy it?

Just food for thought.

Not all agencies charge to cancel or charge a plan to go, however those agencies also get screwed over more with doing research that never turns into a booking, or can suffer cancelations, etc. I've lost countless hours to bookings that just never came to be - but since i dont intitute these fees - that's the risk I'm unfortunately assuming.

Just hoping to show it to you from the other side. Some agencies are doing it out of greed, but some, well they are doing it because it's their livelihood.

Cancellation fees are way over blown. I have booked 31 cruises and have never had to cancel. Some day that day might come, but the $25 p.p., per cruise that my online travel agent would charge me would just be a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands and thousands of dollars they saved me. They always have big obcs, and sometimes they throw in gratuities, specialty dining, spa treatments among other things.

I don't really have a problem with reasonable TA cancellation fees either. $100 seems a tad bit high though. $25, maybe $50, is probably a good idea though to keep people from frequently trying to book something to "hold" it and then jump around when they find a better deal. Bookings take time, effort, and money on the part of a TA. I fully understand why they might want to recover a little money for that, as well as create a deterrent from anyone doing it repeatedly as a matter of course.

I seen one TA that offers a lot of appears to be fantastic perks for the first 100, 200 and etc to book.

Reading the fine print they also charge $50 pp for any cancellation or changes in your booking. That made me look elsewhere because if there was ever a price reduction I would have to pay them $100

For the next cruise I have already made 4 changes since I booked. 3 were for price reductions and 1 to get the 123 perk. That would have cost me $400.

The current TA doesn't charge to change anything or for a cancelation, plus I get a lot of perks.

🍸🍻

I can understand a cancellation fee, as there is time spent, but $100 per person per cruise seems excessive to me. Perhaps there are still some customers who require a lot of hand holding and research, but I suspect most do a lot of their own research online and use the TA's primarily for the perks. I suspect there are many like myself - I research, know what I want (including what type of room) and I tell the TA, they book it, and then likely never hear from me again. I don't know exactly how long this takes them but I suspect they spend less than an hour total on my trip (and likely much less than that). So $100 seems excessive in that case. So I will do a cost/benefit to see if the potential perks savings are worth it (which they usually are) and then I make my decision accordingly.

ps. I had heard from someone in what I suspect is the TA being discussed who said they planned to expand their operation and soon would be open on week-ends. Hope so. That is my primary complaint with them, along with the cancellation fee.

I suspect there are many like myself - I research, know what I want (including what type of room) and I tell the TA, they book it, and then likely never hear from me again.

You'd be surprised how many are NOT like you. :-) It would be an easy job if all the clients were like you are. Some require assistance in picking which itinerary, which cabin, which date, what color shirt to wear on embarkation day so they look the best in their photo...

:D

I seen one TA that offers a lot of appears to be fantastic perks for the first 100, 200 and etc to book.

Reading the fine print they also charge $50 pp for any cancellation or changes in your booking. That made me look elsewhere because if there was ever a price reduction I would have to pay them $100

You are absolutely right and many people don't realize this. When calling some TA'S to get price reduction, watch out that you are not charged for a cancelation and rebooking. Some are now saying they have to do it this way, but can't be as all are not changing to new bookings etc. It is ridiculous to call for a $50 a person price drop and then pay a $50 a person cancellation fee. What's the purpose?

Edited by d4m

...For example - say Agency A spends lets say 3 hours servicing your booking for whatever reason, and then a year later, you decide you can no longer go. You expect them to just suck it up and have their time lost with 0 compensation? Would you work for free in your own profession? If you would, would you enjoy it?...

Yes I would expect them to just suck it up. It is part of doing business and there are many many industries where sales related activities take a lot of time and effort even though sales might not go through. It is just part of making a sale and providing services.

We've almost always booked our cruises far in advance. 80% of the time, maybe 90%, we end up taking the cruise. But when you book 18 or 20 months in advance things change and sometimes we've cancelled or switched cruises. Our TA has given us great service and we've done a lot of completed bookings with them and had a handful that we cancelled. They do not charge a fee and because we occasionally do cancel I'd think twice about booking with them again if they did institute a fee.

I've used the referenced agency for almost 10 cruises. I didn't have a problem with the $50 pp cancellation fee and I certainly understood they charged it and I agreed to the terms. I know they have recently increased to $100 pp.

Last Nov I had to cancel due to my father passing 2 days before sailing. Yes I had 3rd party insurance and they covered all my expenses including the agency's fees. But after I started thinking about it I got pretty mad.

1) I was paid in full so they would have been paid their commission from Celebrity.

2) They gave me pre-paid grats which Celebrity would have refunded.

3) They gave me > $100 OBC which would have been refunded.

After the funeral we had to get away and booked a B2B to replace the canceled cruise. I politely raised these points to both my agent who raised it to customer service. They did make a small consideration on the new cruise but wouldn't refund the $100. Like I said I did agree to the terms so I accept it, just doesn't seem logical after final payment is made.

I suggested they institute a policy where they would waive the fee after the point the cruise is fully non-refundable.

I really wish this site allowed reviews of agencies. I've been happy enough with this large agency to continue using them but I fee there is probably an agency out there with a better mix of service/perks which would better suit me.

I've used the referenced agency for almost 10 cruises. I didn't have a problem with the $50 pp cancellation fee and I certainly understood they charged it and I agreed to the terms. I know they have recently increased to $100 pp.

Last Nov I had to cancel due to my father passing 2 days before sailing. Yes I had 3rd party insurance and they covered all my expenses including the agency's fees. But after I started thinking about it I got pretty mad.

1) I was paid in full so they would have been paid their commission from Celebrity.

After the funeral we had to get away and booked a B2B to replace the canceled cruise. I politely raised these points to both my agent who raised it to customer service. They did make a small consideration on the new cruise but wouldn't refund the $100. Like I said I did agree to the terms so I accept it, just doesn't seem logical after final payment is made.

I suggested they institute a policy where they would waive the fee after the point the cruise is fully non-refundable.

I really wish this site allowed reviews of agencies. I've been happy enough with this large agency to continue using them but I fee there is probably an agency out there with a better mix of service/perks which would better suit me.

There are plenty that advertise on this web site. Google "cruise" for results. There is one that offers free gratuities for RCCL and X. That TA is not hard to find. Many time they also will give a agency discount along with SBC. I have never canceled a cruise with them but have changed them and also transfered to another cruise to save my certicate, and have never been charged for that. They are one of the larrger TAs. Have always got good service.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Under these circumstances, I would never book with that TA again. I understand business is business and all that, but sometimes you need to treat people as people and not only as revenue generators. Boo, hiss on this agency.:(

For the next cruise I have already made 4 changes since I booked. 3 were for price reductions and 1 to get the 123 perk. That would have cost me $400.

The current TA doesn't charge to change anything or for a cancelation, plus I get a lot of perks.

🍸🍻

Yes, and the TA to which you are referring is non-negotiable on waiving the fees, even if you have booked 10+ cruises with them.

We've done and have booked 30+ cruises with other agents since they enforced that with us, so they got their $100 but it cost them thousands in commissions.

within germay you have to pay 10% of total cruise cost as cancelation fee - that's normal over here - on the other hand cruiseline is not able to change something - if they do they have to cover all your expenses....

This is actually not entirely a true statement.

If you were booked into a group with that agency, they wouldn't be paid for you until you sailed (or really really close to it). Being paid in full doesn't always mean commission is paid out.

I'm sure there are several agencies that charge cancellation penalties....and I wish them all the best of luck and great prosperity. Unless they are offering me some great deal, I'll choose to book with an agency with no cancellation charge.

In my case, the on-line agency was offering nothing special...just the pleasure of doing business with them. I passed.

I'm sure there are several agencies that charge cancellation penalties....and I wish them all the best of luck and great prosperity. Unless they are offering me some great deal, I'll choose to book with an agency with no cancellation charge.

In my case, the on-line agency was offering nothing special...just the pleasure of doing business with them. I passed.

We got $200 more grats and a rate $800pp less than anywhere else so were prepared to 'take the risk' with their cancellation fee'

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We got $200 more grats and a rate $800pp less than anywhere else so were prepared to 'take the risk' with their cancellation fee'

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

agreed....and I would (and I do) choose them in that case. In my case with a 2016 booking, they were not offering anything more than any other agency so no reason to book with them. If, at some point, that agency offers a group rate with a great deal, I still have options that don't cost me anything.

I have been tempted to book with them, too, but I just hate the idea of paying a cancellation fee. My TA doesn't charge one, and although I have never booked a cruise and cancelled, I wouldn't book with that agency unless.....

it was a great deal

and

It was relatively last minute (like after final payment). That way I would be pretty sure nothing was going to come up.

I have been tempted to book with them, too, but I just hate the idea of paying a cancellation fee. My TA doesn't charge one, and although I have never booked a cruise and cancelled, I wouldn't book with that agency unless.....

it was a great deal

and

It was relatively last minute (like after final payment). That way I would be pretty sure nothing was going to come up.

To me, it's just all part if the deal that needs to be evaluated. I figure it's maybe 1 in 10 cruises I need to cancel for some reason. So booking through a TA that charges a $100 cancellation fee subtracts about $10 from their "value" as compared to others. Then I need to compare all the other factors involved... cruise fare, OBC, other promo perks, level of service, TA "clout" for getting things done that others can't if you have an issue, etc.

We have canceled or changed cruises many times -- our long term agent doesn't charge us. We often have more then one booked for the same time period and make our final decision about six months out. The cost of multiple deposits doesn't concern us. Our money isn't making much in the bank anyway.

(that's how good cabins sometimes become available ;))

We have also given her several referral customers.

We are in the group that does all of our own research, so we're not monopolizing her time excessively. If we ever retire -- we'll be taking a lot more cruises. :)

I used to book all cruises directly then change to an agency at final payment. Now, most lines insist you change at the 60 day mark. The agency charges not only a cancellation fee but a fee to make changes on the reservation ( this could include price drops).

Since this change we have kept our bookings in $ CAD with the cruise line and our happy with this.

I am 99% sure that I am using the same TA that many of you have been referencing...the one with the $100pp cancellation fee. We've booked with them before but I don't remember the cancellation fee being this steep. Tell me, for those that use this TA, how do they view a price drop before final payment? Do they honor it and not charge a cancellation fee to essentially capture the price drop AND do they leave the perks intact?

I am 99% sure that I am using the same TA that many of you have been referencing...the one with the $100pp cancellation fee. We've booked with them before but I don't remember the cancellation fee being this steep. Tell me, for those that use this TA, how do they view a price drop before final payment? Do they honor it and not charge a cancellation fee to essentially capture the price drop AND do they leave the perks intact?

They don't charge a fee to honor price drops, but I recently had 2 price drops on a cruise & they wanted to take away a large part of the OBC, which I had to fight with them about. For instance, for something like a $75 price drop they wanted to take away $50 OBC. I understand having to decrease the OBC, but within reason! That was absurd. I got them to only drop of $25, and this has happened twice so far on the same booking.