A Royal Tarnishing

I hate to say but I'm on the opposite side. I love Royal Caribbean and of course like any business they must do whats right at certain times. Perhaps Royal is not the cruiseline for you and thats fine. I love the service I get on Royal and the staterooms are not meant to be your Penthouse suite unless you go for the Royal Suite.

With regards to single supplements I would look for a cruise where they either reduce it or waive the supplement. You may find ac chartered cruise for singles or a large block of cabins that allow you to book it as a single person and not have to pay the surcharge.

You know you can always stay home or go on the cruiseline that had engine problems. The choice is yours.:D

We are loyal to RCI as well, but it isn't being disloyal to offer legitimate criticisms when they take actions that seem contrary to the best interests of their most loyal cruisers and that is, unfortunately, what seems to be happening of late. While they must always keep the bottom line high on their list of priorities, there is also a danger of being "penny wise and pound foolish" which could ultimately have a more deleterious effect on that bottom line than they imagined.

We have taken two marvelous RCI cruises since New Year's and have several more scheduled between now and the end of the year, mostly because of the excellent cruise experiences that we have when we sail on their ships, but nowhere in our contracts with Royal Caribbean is there a clause which prohibits us from calling them out when we feel that they are moving in the wrong direction. Some of the most recent complaints seem to indicate such a move.

BTW, I'd be careful about labeling another line as the one having "engine problems" when similar problems recently surfaced with Allure's propulsion system and is not unheard of among other ships in the RCI fleet. Mechanical things have a tendency to break down from time to time and even those lines which do an excellent job of maintaining their equipment sometimes suffer problems.

Edited by negc

all is it is simple supply and demand cruising has never been more popular. also I am sure it isn't a coincidence the 3rd and 4th passenger promotion happened once they changed their policy on stateroom that have capacity of more guest are restrict to people who need a statement that handles more. they are trying to get you used to bring the kids . excellent business decision . the sales certificates confined to the next quarter of the years cruises . excellent business decision . not popular with the elite but those will be replace with a larger less "entitled " customer base just my unpopular opinion

Edited by help04me

There are two things that I find troubling reading posts recently. The first, and to me the most bothersome is my perception that the dollar is the ONLY thing that's important to RCI right now, and the passenger experience is just an afterthought. An example would be the Navigator refurbishment. Millions of dollars were spent to refurbish the ship and add revenue generating space, but people are still complaining about horrible mattresses. What's the point of spending all that money if the real lasting memory people are going to have is of being uncomfortable trying to sleep all week? Why bother refurbishing Chops then jack up the price and remove the most ordered (customer favorite) items from the menu? I understand that revenue is extremely important, but some of RCI's moves seem to be penny wise and pound foolish. At some point ignoring customer comments and preferences will come back to bite them in the "aft."

My other concern recently is communication, or maybe I should say lack of communication. People don't like it when changes are sprung on them seemingly at the last minute, and although it's a wonderful website, we really shouldn't have to get news that affects our cruises from CC before we hear from the cruiseline. This applies to all of RCCL, not just Royal Caribbean. I learned that my Millennium cruise had been cancelled on Cruise Critic 14 hours before Celebrity saw fit to contact me. Trying to get through to a real, live person can be an exercise in frustration, and the website is...well...hideous!

Fortunately for me, I'm not "loyal to Royal." I've enjoyed all my cruises to varying degrees, and although the Carnival of 2014 isn't for us and we probably won't go on HAL again, there are plenty of other ships on the ocean if I feel that we're not getting our money's worth on Royal Caribbean. I have no intention of cancelling a 2015 cruise on Serenade, and I plan to book more RCI cruises, but it's nice to know that I have options too.

They are making business decisions and as someone posted, if you are dissatisfied, you make your business decision by booking with another cruise line.

After reading about these booking changes, I believe that they are counteracting from those of us who are always looking for discounts and price drops and those who are trying to beat the system. Prices are just going to go up like in the real world. Have you been to a grocery store lately?

Cruising is still a great bargain. And no matter what cruise line you sail, there will be things you don't like, and things you love. All of the cruise lines will need to make changes in order to improve their bottom line. And they are in business to make money.

Agreed. So far they haven't done anything to send us back to Princess and/or Carnival. I'm actually intrigued by the increase in OBC for on-board future bookings.

Vision of the Seas was revitalized last fall

On deck 8, they replaced the library with 4 panaramic ocean view statrooms

The same was done to the internet room for a total of 8 new cabins

The "library" is now a small wall on deck 6 by the shops.

I realize that the library wasn't a moneymaker but I will miss it when we sail in May. I guess it won't be long before all the ship libraries disappear.

There are two things that I find troubling reading posts recently. The first, and to me the most bothersome is my perception that the dollar is the ONLY thing that's important to RCI right now, and the passenger experience is just an afterthought. An example would be the Navigator refurbishment. Millions of dollars were spent to refurbish the ship and add revenue generating space, but people are still complaining about horrible mattresses. What's the point of spending all that money if the real lasting memory people are going to have is of being uncomfortable trying to sleep all week? Why bother refurbishing Chops then jack up the price and remove the most ordered (customer favorite) items from the menu? I understand that revenue is extremely important, but some of RCI's moves seem to be penny wise and pound foolish. At some point ignoring customer comments and preferences will come back to bite them in the "aft."

My other concern recently is communication, or maybe I should say lack of communication. People don't like it when changes are sprung on them seemingly at the last minute, and although it's a wonderful website, we really shouldn't have to get news that affects our cruises from CC before we hear from the cruiseline. This applies to all of RCCL, not just Royal Caribbean. I learned that my Millennium cruise had been cancelled on Cruise Critic 14 hours before Celebrity saw fit to contact me. Trying to get through to a real, live person can be an exercise in frustration, and the website is...well...hideous!

Fortunately for me, I'm not "loyal to Royal." I've enjoyed all my cruises to varying degrees, and although the Carnival of 2014 isn't for us and we probably won't go on HAL again, there are plenty of other ships on the ocean if I feel that we're not getting our money's worth on Royal Caribbean. I have no intention of cancelling a 2015 cruise on Serenade, and I plan to book more RCI cruises, but it's nice to know that I have options too.

I agree that being loyal doesn't mean I cannot express my opinions on changes, as long as I am respectful and not flaming anyone. There is too much of that on cc lately. After the solo pricing changes, I contacted Mr Goldsteins office and subsequently had a long phone call with a rep. The attitude was loud and clear that until they see a drop in revenue they will proceed. It was interesting though that during that conversation there is a definite gap between what the home office thinks is happening and the reality of what shows up on the website and out in the fleet. I suggested they form focus groups with actual cruisers, but I don't see that happening.

So I have walked with my feet, switching over to another line for a short last minute cruise that RCL had doubled in price for a solo. The danger to RCL, IMHO, is that I discovered that the other cruise line was not as bad as I expected, and actually did some things better than RCL, especially considering the drop in the level of service and quality of food on recent RCL cruises. In the past I only looked at RCL cruises, now I will look at this other line and others also. The bottom line for me will be value of a cruise, or the per day rate, not just the fact the rate is doubled. If it's a good value, fine I'll pay the double, if it's not I will not. The changes in the next cruise certificate will most likely keep me from buying another, the only real advantage of tying up your money for a year or so is the reduced deposit (which I can usually get on other lines). And the hassle of trying to transfer a certificate from yourself to an agent, or from one agent to another, is just not worth it.

So IMHO the recent changes are penny wise and pound foolish. I will be waiting to see what they do to try and get us back when they realize revenue has dropped, I am sure the price drops they'll need to offer will be a lot more than just being fair to their most loyal customers.

I'm not being sarcastic. I think their recent changes and business decisions are disappointing and not at all consumer friendly.

Looks like the loyalty program is a one way street.

Craig

I have to agree. It seems every few weeks there is something posted about changes and they certainly haven't been in favour of their loyal cruisers.

Royal is quickly tarnishing my impression of their image and cruising as of late.

First with raising single supplements, then the lessening of balcony discounts if you upgrade after the 6 month mark, the no longer being to book many desire rooms because theyre triples and quads, now the gutting of the NextCruise program.

:(.

Pardon my ignorance but what did they do to the next cruise certificates?

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They are making business decisions and as someone posted, if you are dissatisfied, you make your business decision by booking with another cruise line.

After reading about these booking changes, I believe that they are counteracting from those of us who are always looking for discounts and price drops and those who are trying to beat the system. Prices are just going to go up like in the real world. Have you been to a grocery store lately?

Cruising is still a great bargain. And no matter what cruise line you sail, there will be things you don't like, and things you love. All of the cruise lines will need to make changes in order to improve their bottom line. And they are in business to make money.

My thoughts exactly (as a Diamond level).

Kathy

all is it is simple supply and demand cruising has never been more popular. also I am sure it isn't a coincidence the 3rd and 4th passenger promotion happened once they changed their policy on stateroom that have capacity of more guest are restrict to people who need a statement that handles more. they are trying to get you used to bring the kids . excellent business decision . the sales certificates confined to the next quarter of the years cruises . excellent business decision . not popular with the elite but those will be replace with a larger less "entitled " customer base just my unpopular opinion

I agree, they are targeting a family demographic. I must say as someone that hasn't been cruising for long yet, I don't blame the company for changing some of its practices. I don't understand the long waits on the phone lately, but is that part of their plan to get people to go to travel agents? So many people here just advise others to pester the heck out of the phone centres and many of the comments have been coming across and very "entitled". Just keep hassling until they cave in. In the meantime we can't get through.

They have been practicing with cutting back the ability for customers from other countries to chop and change, and move from cabin to cabin week by week, and price drops are not an entitlement. Maybe they have seen that if you give a customer a tighter framework then they will, on large, just book what they want and that is the end of the continual calling. Our last cruise had 20% C&A membership. That means 80% were new cruisers. Do you think they had to handle all the phone calls and cabin changes from them? They give a loyalty program with all sorts of benefits, and boy do they get a hammering on here for it all being not good enough.

Maybe, just an idea, Royal Caribbean is looking at the things that take time and are not helpful on their bottom line, and if you call it penny pinching, I have to agree with "help04me", some changes are excellent business decisions.

Library and Internet room. Sorry, technology has changed, and people wanted wifi so they could hook up in their cabins to get online and read their e-readers. Usually what I see in those locations recently are people having a nap, or they are empty.

You have to look at the price overall, and if it doesn't add up, then head over to something else. If you don't get a buzz from cruising anymore, do a land vacation.

You have to look at the price overall, and if it doesn't add up, then head over to something else. If you don't get a buzz from cruising anymore, do a land vacation.

And if a company that deals with non essential travel ever gets the notion that it is doing its customers a favor by providing that service it had better prepare for its own demise.

I hate to say but I'm on the opposite side. I love Royal Caribbean and of course like any business they must do whats right at certain times. Perhaps Royal is not the cruiseline for you and thats fine. I love the service I get on Royal and the staterooms are not meant to be your Penthouse suite unless you go for the Royal Suite.

With regards to single supplements I would look for a cruise where they either reduce it or waive the supplement. You may find ac chartered cruise for singles or a large block of cabins that allow you to book it as a single person and not have to pay the surcharge.

You know you can always stay home or go on the cruiseline that had engine problems. The choice is yours.:D

I agree I love royal

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Reading about all the "negative" changes listed, and there are many :-(, reminds me of a thread several years back when RCI began taking the chocolates away. Yes those D@%$ chocolates!! :-).

Can't remember who said it but the jist of their comments was that this is just the beginning. They predicted RCI will begin a deliberate slow process of reducing overhead and costs to the consumer's disadvantage but to corporate's advantage.

Well the flaming this person got on this site was endless, I mean brutal. The "loyal to royal" folks just went crazy brutal on him/her.

Fast forward a few years and this person now looks like a wise psychic that sees into the future.

If your being honest, no one, I mean no one, can deny that the RCI product has lessened for the consumer over the last 3-5 years. The list is long: food, long customer service waits, terrible, I mean really terrible - yes it was bad in past but has gotten much worse- IT, less staff doing more with less, increased up charges and reducing choices in specialty restaurants, yes-no chocolates:-), fewer towel animals :-) , on and on and on.

BUT with that said, I still believe RCI has a product that I'm willing to pay my hard earned $$ on, FOR NOW. It is still a great vacation for the DW and I. Will be on IOS later this month and even with those listed "negatives" we'll have a great time. We just know what to expect AND not expect.

Each individual change is really minor, but by the time you look at ALL THE CHANGES over the past few years (reduction in service, quality, pricing, limiting stateroom bookings, no in cabin movies, loss of a few loyalty coupons, touches like no flowers on the MDR table, no chocolates at night, no pen and paper in cabin, etc.... ),you really see a different product. Any one or even two of the changes is no big deal, but the summation of them all can be noticed

M

Well put seb. We, the customers, have to continue to lower expectations. Not sure how I feel about that. I will also keep cruising Royal until the accumulation of changes starts to really impact my enjoyment. Thus far, the higher ups have gone above and beyond to correct problems and smooth things over.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Vision of the Seas was revitalized last fall

On deck 8, they replaced the library with 4 panaramic ocean view statrooms

The same was done to the internet room for a total of 8 new cabins

The "library" is now a small wall on deck 6 by the shops.

I realize that the library wasn't a moneymaker but I will miss it when we sail in May. I guess it won't be long before all the ship libraries disappear.

I see both of those changes as smart decisions that are in line with evolving technology.

More and more people bring and read books electronically. And most people who are inclined to use an at sea internet package likely have a smartphone or PDA. Why not then change those underutilized spaces into some that generates revenue? It will keep other costs to us lower.

I see both of those changes as smart decisions that are in line with evolving technology.

More and more people bring and read books electronically. And most people who are inclined to use an at sea internet package likely have a smartphone or PDA. Why not then change those underutilized spaces into some that generates revenue? It will keep other costs to us lower.

No it won't. The object of the business is to maximize income from every revenue producing area. They are going to charge what the traffic will bear in every revenue producing center. The new centers will simply add to profits. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But don't expect that RCI will decide to give people a break in any area just because they have a new revenue stream.

Edited by Ocean Boy

What sucks is that I really enjoy Royal Caribbean's ships, I just strongly dislike the "evolution" of their business practices and disregard of customer feelings and concerns. Naturally, businesses evolve and change, but nothing they have recently changed has been customer friendly and as Adam Goldstein seemed to point out when a member expressed concern over the category changes, they frankly don't care.

It's hard to teach them a lesson by switching cruise lines since they ships are the best at sea, but like I said before, they've led us to lean towards land based resorts and all inclusives.

I agree that being loyal doesn't mean I cannot express my opinions on changes, as long as I am respectful and not flaming anyone. There is too much of that on cc lately. After the solo pricing changes, I contacted Mr Goldsteins office and subsequently had a long phone call with a rep. The attitude was loud and clear that until they see a drop in revenue they will proceed. It was interesting though that during that conversation there is a definite gap between what the home office thinks is happening and the reality of what shows up on the website and out in the fleet. I suggested they form focus groups with actual cruisers, but I don't see that happening.

So I have walked with my feet, switching over to another line for a short last minute cruise that RCL had doubled in price for a solo. The danger to RCL, IMHO, is that I discovered that the other cruise line was not as bad as I expected, and actually did some things better than RCL, especially considering the drop in the level of service and quality of food on recent RCL cruises. In the past I only looked at RCL cruises, now I will look at this other line and others also. The bottom line for me will be value of a cruise, or the per day rate, not just the fact the rate is doubled. If it's a good value, fine I'll pay the double, if it's not I will not. The changes in the next cruise certificate will most likely keep me from buying another, the only real advantage of tying up your money for a year or so is the reduced deposit (which I can usually get on other lines). And the hassle of trying to transfer a certificate from yourself to an agent, or from one agent to another, is just not worth it.

So IMHO the recent changes are penny wise and pound foolish. I will be waiting to see what they do to try and get us back when they realize revenue has dropped, I am sure the price drops they'll need to offer will be a lot more than just being fair to their most loyal customers.

See you on Quantum.

What sucks is that I really enjoy Royal Caribbean's ships, I just strongly dislike the "evolution" of their business practices and disregard of customer feelings and concerns. Naturally, businesses evolve and change, but nothing they have recently changed has been customer friendly and as Adam Goldstein seemed to point out when a member expressed concern over the category changes, they frankly don't care.

It's hard to teach them a lesson by switching cruise lines since they ships are the best at sea, but like I said before, they've led us to lean towards land based resorts and all inclusives.

I would have to believe that majority of passengers on cruise ships are the people that go on a cruise once every few years, and they have no lock on sticking to one particular cruise line. Add in the fact that RCC is interested in one thing, PROFIT, the more the company makes, the more the guys up top make. If they have to cut cost to do it they will. They also understand that if majority of the passengers are not die hard loyal, then that is where the money comes from, they don't care if the loyal people get upset over the little things. It's like the airlines, they don't care if you get delayed, if they lose your luggage, they know that you want to travel and you will buy a tickets, the cruise lines know you want to go on a cruise, you will buy a ticket. You might try another cruise line, you might go back, you might stay at the other line. In the end they have the customer by the shorts.