Do you participate in the Sailaway threads? Why or why not?

CowPrincess

I have peeked into the HAL Sailaway threads a few times, and people really seem to have a good time :D Looks like there is a fairly large group of devotees, and lots of commentary from the participants.

I don't participate ever, because I can't get the cams to work properly for me (old computer, not-great internet service). I probably would if I could get the cams to work adquately for me.

So I'm wondering -- do you or don't you participate in them, and why? Or why not?

Edited by CowPrincess

I participate; I am a computer doofus, and I have learned a lot from the Sailaway Gang about computers and also about cruise terminology and all the goings-on that occur when one is leaving a port. Now, when I'm on a cruise, I can feel quite superior!:D

Marco's Tia, it is a group of HAL CC posters who hang out online and watch the Port Everglades web cam, discussing the ships and activity (and it appears some off-topic stuff too :D )

This thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2012825

is todays. There is a link to the PE webcam in the first post.

Like I said, I don't bother, seeing as I can never actually SEE what's going on very well ;) But some are really devoted followers.

I do participate although I don't always sign in. Why? Because I enjoy cruising, I enjoy watching the ships sail and wondering--will they toot or not. I enjoy the people who do participate in the threads and have increased my knowledge about cruising and what goes on aboard the ships and behind the scenes, to some extent.

Also, by watching the web cams (and listening to the audio) have seen and heard many interesting things, i.e. the time a life ring with attached smoke-light beacon got thrown overboard from Caribbean Princess as she was sailing out of the port in front of where the cam was located.

I have peeked into the HAL Sailaway threads a few times, and people really seem to have a good time :D Looks like there is a fairly large group of devotees, and lots of commentary from the participants.

I don't participate ever, because I can't get the cams to work properly for me (old computer, not-great internet service). I probably would if I could get the cams to work adquately for me.

So I'm wondering -- do you or don't you participate in them, and why? Or why not?

I do when I can especially the Westerdam since she will be my first cruise. I have to open it in IE because it won't work right on Chrome for me. I think its fun to hear the preparation and the horn festival. Can't wait to be on board in 105 days - 17 weeks from this moment, I will be on my cruise. Not that I'm counting down the next 2519 hours!!!:D

I don't watch, and never open the threads.

They started simple enough, every Saturday only, just at the time I was in Church. Easy enough to miss. Then, somehow it just grew & grew until there were more threads than I can keep up with.

I participated for a while in a few of them, but then it got to be too much. Too many sail-aways, starting too early in the morning (morning???), too much time when I should be fixing supper, too much play-by-play reporting of what everyone could see & hear for themselves.

Glad it's there, though, for those who enjoy it.

They started simple enough, every Saturday only, just at the time I was in Church. Easy enough to miss. Then, somehow it just grew & grew until there were more threads than I can keep up with.

I participated for a while in a few of them, but then it got to be too much. Too many sail-aways, starting too early in the morning (morning???), too much time when I should be fixing supper, too much play-by-play reporting of what everyone could see & hear for themselves.

I've watched since the beginning of the sailaway threads...as long as I'm around...and enjoy the fellowship of other "addicts". Although, I have to agree, the "play by play reporting" is a big much sometimes. I missed today because we were in Boston all day, but will probably be here tomorrow.

Marco's Tia...I see that you're new on CC...join in...you might enjoy it.

I've watched since the beginning of the sailaway threads...as long as I'm around...and enjoy the fellowship of other "addicts". Although, I have to agree, the "play by play reporting" is a big much sometimes. I missed today because we were in Boston all day, but will probably be here tomorrow.

Marco's Tia...I see that you're new on CC...join in...you might enjoy it.

agree on the 'play by play' - it was more fun when that didn't happen - but just the same - it's nice to have a chance to connect to the sail away addicts and when the sound works, there is nothing like the Queen of Horns when she has the right captain and they sail off.:D

agree on the 'play by play' - it was more fun when that didn't happen - but just the same - it's nice to have a chance to connect to the sail away addicts and when the sound works, there is nothing like the Queen of Horns when she has the right captain and they sail off.:D

ITA. Wasn't here today and am too tired to read back all the posts. Did she do her "thing" today and blow everyone away once again?

Not at all sure that I can agree with the negative "play by play" comments that are reported on the sailaway threads.

Yes, if the web site and one's computer connection is working as it should, the sailing of the vessels should be obvious. But, the cyperspace world is not perfect.

I do appreciate knowing when I need to refresh the web cam. And, I really am of the opinion that neither the operators of the web cam for the ports nor Cruise Critic have sites that are as "perfect" as they may really want them to be.

I have thought for some time that issues that I was having really have turned out to be not my issues, but the issues that they[/u ] were having.

ITA. Wasn't here today and am too tired to read back all the posts. Did she do her "thing" today and blow everyone away once again?

many of us lost sound today on the webcam just as it was about to happen. One person who had it gave her a B on the report card - so not as much as usual - that new captain needs a talking to:D

I remind folks of the sail-away. I have no control after that. I agree that when we are all watching the same web cam comments like "She's turning in the basin" are not necessary.

In the end it's a public open forum and we all have choices of which as OP I have no control over other than making less comments myself.

Edited by aliaschief

many of us lost sound today on the webcam just as it was about to happen. One person who had it gave her a B on the report card - so not as much as usual - that new captain needs a talking to:D

I think that might be Captain John Scott...he was the captain on our early Noordam cruises. A very reserved fellow from down under (but very nice, nonetheless!)...so that could be why he's a bit restrained with the tooting.

I've been watching the sail aways when I can for a few years now. When it's cold and snowing and I'm stuck inside, it's fun to meet up with people that love cruising and to listen for those ships tooting as they leave port.

I watch the Port Everglades sail-aways pretty regularly, but I don't always follow the threads. I think it's kind of nice to see who's going out and who is getting ready to sail.

Perhaps Captain Albert will do that in his new role. Guess I should ask, how's he at tooting?

You betch ya, have from the beginning and really enjoy participating in same. Got DH into it too. Probably am one of those people who make comments that Ruth, Innlady and Chief don't care for but without some of those comments you might not have much interaction on the thread.

I like watching ships sail away - and arriving. Yes, this morning I was up at 6:00 am and I took a peek at the ships arriving in Port Everglades! Hey, when I am on a ship I am usually up to experience the sail-in on the upper decks.

And when I have a chance to shoot the breeze with other cruise addicts, I have a good time. :D