Grandeur Damaged?

I'm having a hard time believing the rogue wave story. They do happen, but this doesn't look like one. The part that collapsed is not the deck, but a wooden grid with cloth over it. This does tend to flex and move in the winds. The railings on the top deck are missing on both sides as well but do not appear damaged. At the same time something that had enough force to tear the inside railing off did not leave anymore water on the pool deck than you typically see from people getting in and out of the hot tubs. The deck chairs on deck 10 also appear to be stacked and placed in a different location by choice, rather than thrown there as a rogue wave would do. I'm more inclined to believe that they were working on that section of deck to do some refurbishments. Perhaps they are replacing those railings and cleared the chairs out of the way. The ceiling falling down could be completely unrelated (may have been loosened in the last storm) or a result of some of the work on the surface above it. We have all been on cruises and know how easily rumors are started. Something happens and people start theorizing and others build upon it as its spread and then eventually it starts being spoken as fact.

This isn't the same spot, but it'll give you an idea of what the ceiling on that deck of Grandeur looks like.

DSC05473.JPG

I also think the glass would be broken out of those windows if there was a wave that big. I'm skeptical about it being wave damage myself, but curious. I do tend to agree with your assessment that there was probably work being done in that area now that you say it. The photo you added also helps visualize what may have fallen.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

I also think the glass would be broken out of those windows if there was a wave that big. I'm skeptical about it being wave damage myself, but curious. I do tend to agree with your assessment that there was work being done in that area now that you say it.

Eric

There actually was a picture posted on the cruise lines facebook page a little over a week ago. It was there around the same time as the posts about RCI being unfair to the military. The picture was of the jogging track on Grandeur and it was cracked from edge to edge with metal showing a bit. When I looked the next day, I couldn't find it but I don't "do" facebook so maybe someone with an account can go look and see if it still exists.

There actually was a picture posted on the cruise lines facebook page a little over a week ago. It was there around the same time as the posts about RCI being unfair to the military. The picture was of the jogging track on Grandeur and it was cracked from edge to edge with metal showing a bit. When I looked the next day, I couldn't find it but I don't "do" facebook so maybe someone with an account can go look and see if it still exists.

Don't/Won't do it either. Anyone?

Edited by CruiseKeeper

Looking at the photo, I'm a little skeptical that that is a deck that has collapsed. While the wood caps do appear to be missing on some sections of both the inboard and outboard handrails on deck 10, the steel handrails at the outboard side appear to be intact, and if a wave of sufficient strength to tear that deck loose had hit, those handrails would either be gone completely, or folded over so that they would not be visible. Since this is an open deck, even a large quantity of water is not confined, and wouldn't provide enough load to tear a steel deck from the side of the ship without distorting the side of the ship as well, and the deck 9 window frames look okay. I'm guessing that this was an overhead covering on the bottom of deck 10 that came down. I would suspect that this was caused by a wind whirling around inside the pool deck area. The ship may have actually struck a rogue wave, but this kind of damage (if it was the deck), this high on the ship, would have resulted in far greater damage elsewhere. Another possibility is that the rogue wave caused a shock to the ship's structure, that caused the overhead covering to come down. I've seen this kind of damage (overheads coming down) caused by high seas myself.

Good analysis, thanks. As you say, if a wave had done this kind of damage on Deck 9-10, I'd think the decks below would have MORE damage. Hard to damage 9-10 without causing any issues on the decks directly below that.

I saw it too and yes it disappeared. Went back to get it and show a friend who is sailing with me in Jan and gone.

When I was on Allure a few weeks ago there was one time on the pool deck when some of that canvas was taken down because they were doing some work on the structure that it covers. Maybe this was not damage at all but some maintenance being done.

Don't/Won't do it either. Anyone?

Just looked at RCI's FB page, and the only things there regarding Grandeur are a couple posts from individuals, one which includes the picture from this thread, and says that they got it from a CruiseCritic posting! So this thread refers to FB as a/the source and FB refers to this thread... :)

I have seen railing caps removed for varnish work (as well as left on most of the time). Now that I look the "collapse" looks like the canvas underside blew off. Who knows. Until we get a photo better than one taken with a potato this is a waste of time. I still hope everyone is safe as the weather is not ideal regardless.

I see that. And yet they straightened out the deck chairs and didn't clean up the sea weed. :confused:

What do you folks see? I see water on the deck next to a hot tub. I understand wood may be missing on Deck 10. If you guys think a rogue wave was big enough to send seawater over the top of Deck 10, there would have been a HECK of a lot more damage.

I just squinted and tilted my head to the left and believe I see the Loch Ness monster in the background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reads like something a Nova Scotian might say! (Scottish Heritage?) ;)

There can't be much to worry about (hopefully) as a certain legal person has not yet jumped on this legal bandwagon. But our thoughts and prayers are with everyone who may be affected.

Edited by roysmith99

What do you folks see? I see water on the deck next to a hot tub. I understand wood may be missing on Deck 10. If you guys think a rogue wave was big enough to send seawater over the top of Deck 10, there would have been a HECK of a lot more damage.

Agreed. Not saying the wave didn't happen, but if a wave that high left damage and debris on deck 10, imagine what it would have done to the portholes, panels, balconies, and windows on decks 2-9? Also, I think the RCI CC page would be bombarded with live online posts from the ship.

We'll all see eventually.

Agreed. Not saying the wave didn't happen, but if a wave that high left damage and debris on deck 10, imagine what it would have done to the portholes, panels, balconies, and windows on decks 2-9? Also, I think the RCI CC page would be bombarded with live online posts from the ship.

I agree, a wave as big as people seem to speculating, would have done considerable damage and potential loss of L******, and we would have known about it before now. Remember the Freedom getting hit by a surprise tropical storm wave. she took a beating and lots of ship board damage and we knew it about it quickly.

Very good point. I say let's wait and see. Thanks!