Grandeur Damaged?

Can anyone confirm if any limes were lost or damaged in the rogue wave?

Kidding and am hoping this is overblown and that all on board are safe and, selfishly, as we are sailing on her in three weeks, that the ship is faring equally as well.

What do you folks see? I see water on the deck next to a hot tub. I understand wood may be missing on Deck 10. If you guys think a rogue wave was big enough to send seawater over the top of Deck 10, there would have been a HECK of a lot more damage.

The rogue wave idea came from the OP. Just reporting on what they heard.

I'm still not sure about the water on the deck. This photo was probably taken shortly after the damage. Notice no caution or roped off areas neither up nor down. It could be hot tub water splashed out as well. Who knows. I do want to know as hopefully I'll be on the Grandeur on Friday.

Kidding and am hoping this is overblown and that all on board are safe and, selfishly, as we are sailing on her in three weeks, that the ship is faring equally as well.

Haha, good one! I'm thinking its completely overblown, not a rogue wave but definitely a "rogue rumor" fostered by the internet. Again, spending 5 minutes looking - this thread references Facebook as the source of info, but the only info I can find on Facebook references this thread as the source! :D Ain't the internet great?

By the way, my local grocery store just offered me a private deal through their loyalty card program on limes - normally 69 cents each at present, but through next Tuesday I can get them for 18 cents each! :eek: Is there anywhere on CruiseCritic I can post limes for sale to cruisers? :D

Looking at the photo a little closer, it looks like there is a bunch of Sargassum Seaweed on the deck to the left of the hot tub. As the Grandeur is at the northern portion of the Sargasso Sea, it does lend credence to the rogue wave theory.

attachment.php?attachmentid=307329&d=1395859786

OOooh! I see now. The FB picture was a little more clear on my computer. That looks like just decorative cloth from the ceiling came down to me - cosmetic damage. Or maybe not even damage and just maintenance. Who knows. Again, the idea that it came from the weight of seawater reaching the 10th deck seems exceedingly implausible as a wave that high would have caused incredible damage to numerous decks.

Excellent!

I'm scheduled to sail on the Grandeur on May 9th. I just called RCCL to inquire about the reported damage, and they told me that this was the first they had heard about it. I only called them because I was originally booked on the Grandeur last year, but my cruise was cancelled because of the fire that broke out a few days before my cruise would have started.

What do you folks see? I see water on the deck next to a hot tub. I understand wood may be missing on Deck 10. If you guys think a rogue wave was big enough to send seawater over the top of Deck 10, there would have been a HECK of a lot more damage.

70 posts over three pages before the voice of reason is heard. :rolleyes:

70 posts over three pages before the voice of reason is heard. :rolleyes:

If you think it took 70 posts before "the voice of reason is heard" you're not reading very carefully. How about post #42, for instance?

Looking at the photo, I'm a little skeptical that that is a deck that has collapsed. While the wood caps do appear to be missing on some sections of both the inboard and outboard handrails on deck 10, the steel handrails at the outboard side appear to be intact, and if a wave of sufficient strength to tear that deck loose had hit, those handrails would either be gone completely, or folded over so that they would not be visible. Since this is an open deck, even a large quantity of water is not confined, and wouldn't provide enough load to tear a steel deck from the side of the ship without distorting the side of the ship as well, and the deck 9 window frames look okay. I'm guessing that this was an overhead covering on the bottom of deck 10 that came down. I would suspect that this was caused by a wind whirling around inside the pool deck area. The ship may have actually struck a rogue wave, but this kind of damage (if it was the deck), this high on the ship, would have resulted in far greater damage elsewhere. Another possibility is that the rogue wave caused a shock to the ship's structure, that caused the overhead covering to come down. I've seen this kind of damage (overheads coming down) caused by high seas myself.
Edited by LetsGetWet!

I'm scheduled to sail on the Grandeur on May 9th. I just called RCCL to inquire about the reported damage, and they told me that this was the first they had heard about it. I only called them because I was originally booked on the Grandeur last year, but my cruise was cancelled because of the fire that broke out a few days before my cruise would have started.

Perhaps when you book, as a courtesy you can notify the people on cruises prior to yours to be careful since things seem to happen to your ships right before you sail. ;)

I'm booked on Grandeur for the cruise right before yours on May 2nd...not so much worried about this damage for us, as it seems like something that will be relatively easily fixed by then, but it does make me wonder a bit about the condition of the ship in general...realizing things can happen on any ship, though, and there is a certain amount of risk you take on this kind of trip, even though it doesn't really seem like it 99.9% of the time. Sorry you ended up getting your cruise canceled due to the fire. :( Hopefully this is fixed quickly and that's the end of problems for the Grandeur.

NO, not the LIMES!! :eek:

...and Kroozen: I am not making light of the fire and screwing up your plans. I just think this is a rumor that has snowballed. If there was a little cosmetic damage due to some heavy seas (which I think is what probably happened, if anything), the ship will be just fine for your May sailing.

Long time no chat! I thought I was the last one to take my replacement cruise, but you've got me beat. We did the Dec. 14th sailing. Have a great cruise!

I was on the sailing a few weeks ago with the bad weather. We had over 30 foot waves. The deck was split on the deck 10 walking track. We were told rough seas and cold weather and warm seas caused it. The round white lights on deck 10 port side all broke. A few windows on deck 7 forward cracked. The rocking and rolling lasted for about 24 hours. Because of the rough seas the ship was only able to travel at 4 knots. While sitting in the CL lounge during the day, the splash of the waves were hitting the 10th and 11th floors.

People on the ship that had sailed the week of Sandy said these seas were worse.

I was on the sailing a few weeks ago with the bad weather. We had over 30 foot waves. The deck was split on the deck 10 walking track. We were told rough seas and cold weather and warm seas caused it. The round white lights on deck 10 port side all broke. A few windows on deck 7 forward cracked. The rocking and rolling lasted for about 24 hours. Because of the rough seas the ship was only able to travel at 4 knots. While sitting in the CL lounge during the day, the splash of the waves were hitting the 10th and 11th floors.

People on the ship that had sailed the week of Sandy said these seas were worse.

Sounds like it was pretty rough. I think people forget that these ships bend and flex in rough seas, they are not rigid, so it wouldn't be shocking that a deck could split like that.

Sounds like it was pretty rough. I think people forget that these ships bend and flex in rough seas, they are not rigid, so it wouldn't be shocking that a deck could split like that.

I think that what people are saying that is cracked is the Bolidt rubber decking that is used for running tracks and promenade decks on many ships, or the teak decking. I would be very surprised if the steel deck underneath was split.

I was just on Grandeur the sailing before this one and we had rough seas (14+ ft. swells) and the trip before ours had rough seas (30+ ft. swells). On our way back we heard crew say that they were thinking about dry docking her to fix the damage. Believe me....there was LOTS of creaking when we were heading back and a leak in the dining room the entire week from the previous trip.

Hopefully all crew and guests a fine!

Did you take a picture of the track? The one that was pulled on facebook showed that it was going to be more than just a little fix to the rubber jogging track surface.

I was told by some of the crew that it was the worst they had ever sailed through. The concierge in the diamond lounge on deck 6 said they closed the curtains because the waves were crashing above the window level. One B2B er mentioned that the stock in the shops onboard were all over the floor.

I was just on Grandeur the sailing before this one and we had rough seas (14+ ft. swells) and the trip before ours had rough seas (30+ ft. swells). On our way back we heard crew say that they were thinking about dry docking her to fix the damage. Believe me....there was LOTS of creaking when we were heading back and a leak in the dining room the entire week from the previous trip.

Hopefully all crew and guests a fine!

I was on the cruise mentioned above by LV2CRUZRCC. We were delayed leaving Baltimore because the previous cruise was late arriving.

The crew was still fixing some of the problems on our sailing. For example I heard the pool had developed a leak at the seams. I know the pool was closed on embarkation and the next day--all day as workers did lots of welding. Here you can see the welders.

P3090035_zpsa602410a.jpg

However, by the 3rd day all was well. They were working on other minor damage.

P3110040_zps912c7fbe.jpg

Not trying to dispute the wave theory--but, could this pic have been part of the earlier storm?

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas