Everything.. ESCAPE (live 29 Oct 2015!)

Exactly what we were thinking.

I am not at my happiest when I am pissed off just a FYI.

Why are some of us pissed off? because its chipping away at the idea of what a cruising is to us. Because what is next? charging for the use of towels or shows? It does not really apply to me on our Escape cruise because we got the UDP with our suite. But if some friends want to join us it will impact our vacation. Or if we don't want to splurge and stay in Haven every time it will effect us.

For me I have been recommending Getaway to all my friends and they always want me to tell them what is included and what's not. Now cruising sounds more and more like a land based vacation. I won't be recommending it anymore until I actually see how it works.

Why are some of us pissed off? because its chipping away at the idea of what a cruising is to us. Because what is next? charging for the use of towels or shows? It does not really apply to me on our Escape cruise because we got the UDP with our suite. But if some friends want to join us it will impact our vacation. Or if we don't want to splurge and stay in Haven every time it will effect us.

For me I have been recommending Getaway to all my friends and they always want me to tell them what is included and what's not. Now cruising sounds more and more like a land based vacation. I won't be recommending it anymore until I actually see how it works.

I'm not pissed off, I'm just not thrilled with a la carte. Having the free UDP it won't affect us for this cruise but it might for future cruises on NCL. Which probably won't happen.

The Escape better be worth it.

The original Tobacco road did have some food offerings. But its been a while since I was there. Reviews mention an awesome black bean patty and the Death Burger. The coming soon Tobacco Road, replacing the original, is going to be a bar and restaurant.

That said the drawings of Escape sure look bar only. Of course if its nice enough I can always bring food in. ;)

Some reviews of the food from the original bar the Escape is "bringing back";

You get the idea.

I'm fully aware that the land based Tobacco Road had food, but I still don't think (based on anything and everything we know about the ship) that this one will. If it would, it would likely be listed as a dining establishment, or shown to be a restaurant location in the deck plans, etc, which it is not. This is one of the bars that just sits out in the open in 6-7-8 place, and isn't even in a "room", so to speak.

I'm fully aware that the land based Tobacco Road had food, but I still don't think (based on anything and everything we know about the ship) that this one will. If it would, it would likely be listed as a dining establishment, or shown to be a restaurant location in the deck plans, etc, which it is not. This is one of the bars that just sits out in the open in 6-7-8 place, and isn't even in a "room", so to speak.

Well good for you! Being fully aware is important. :p

Change is the only constant in life. It's human nature to resist it though. So. wait and see how it impacts the costs. It might not be much. If it is, then you have the option of going elsewhere. Mainstream cruisers have always had to budget for drinks on board, until just recently. I'd say for most folks that was a much larger cost concern than a price of a dinner.

Hi all,

Thanks for this thread. Very informative. I just created a new account because my old username was embarrassing and I couldn't change it. I am not new to cruises, just about 10 under my belt, 3 with NCL, never on an any ship after jewel class... We are booked to sail on Escape in Jan.

Questions:

1. What is the supper club? Is this the same as Manhattan room on the other -away ships? I can't find anything about this on the NCL website. Could this be the private room at taste (which is reserved for special occasions or groups, correct?)

2. What do I be to prepare to shell out more cash for? I understand grats just went up and la carte dining just came out. We have the UBP which I think I am comfortable with. I'm mostly asking about extra things, such as the water park (you never know with NCL these days it seems), the ropes course, or the shows in the theatre.

We just booked this cruise a few weeks ago and now all of these changes and extra expenses almost makes me wish we had book the celebrity reflection again.

Thanks for all of your feedback in advance! Sorry if these questions are repetitive, it's almost impossible to find specific answers to questions regarding NCL without digging through tons of posts.

Yea, it tells the exact square foot of the cabin and the exact square foot of the balcony. However, you must select a room number first. Sometimes room numbers in the same category are a little different!

Do we have any idea how accurate the numbers being reported by the UK site are? I'm curious because I have a B1 ("Aft-Facing Large Balcony"), and many of the cabins I checked (on a few different decks) are listed with 32 square feet for the balcony, which is the same as a BA ("Mid-Ship Balcony" — not "Large"). A few of the B1s did have a larger balcony size listed, but most were the same as the non-"Large" balcony category.

As much as I'm sure I'll enjoy the view from an aft-balcony, I will be slightly disappointed if calling it a "Large Balcony" is actually a misnomer.

Do we have any idea how accurate the numbers being reported by the UK site are? I'm curious because I have a B1 ("Aft-Facing Large Balcony"), and many of the cabins I checked (on a few different decks) are listed with 32 square feet for the balcony, which is the same as a BA ("Mid-Ship Balcony" — not "Large"). A few of the B1s did have a larger balcony size listed, but most were the same as the non-"Large" balcony category.

As much as I'm sure I'll enjoy the view from an aft-balcony, I will be slightly disappointed if calling it a "Large Balcony" is actually a misnomer.

They are not very accurate at all in places. They tend to just have standard sizes, so any unusual cabins aren't accurate. I have also seen large balcony sizes given as the same as standards on other ships, where they are in fact more than double the size.

Yep, I looked the other night and they have all the aft penthouse balconies at 78 sq ft when it's clearly obvious in the pictures they are way bigger than that. While the specifics are pretty spot on for all the other ships, not so for the Escape which would make sense as it hasn't come out yet.

1. What is the supper club? Is this the same as Manhattan room on the other -away ships? I can't find anything about this on the NCL website. Could this be the private room at taste (which is reserved for special occasions or groups, correct?)

The Taste private room is on deck 5, below and adjacent to Taste on deck 6. It's not the Supper Club.

The Supper Club replaces the Illusionarium (Getaway) and Cirque Dreams (Breakaway) on deck 6 forward, just behind the theatre. The Escape will have its own Manhattan Room, astern on deck 7.

They are not very accurate at all in places. They tend to just have standard sizes, so any unusual cabins aren't accurate. I have also seen large balcony sizes given as the same as standards on other ships, where they are in fact more than double the size.

Based purely on visual impressions from the latest photographs (and entirely unscientific), it really looks like the B1 aft-facing balconies will be similar in size to those on the Getaway/Breakaway. They certainly look to be significantly bigger than the regular side balconies.

Sorry,

But you are understandably

Frustrated. However, I respect that you have owned up to it. Please respect the fact that you and others need to move on. It's not healthy to live in the past.

Nothing is what it used to be. Things change. Let go and embrace what's new. We are not dealing with life or death choices.

I remember when smoking was allowed on airplanes. Kids respected authority. The list goes on and on. I can't change things that are beyond me control. But perhaps you can stop cruising until things go back to what you fondly remember what the experience was. Maybe, there really is power in numbers. If enough folks like yourself stop cruising, well maybe the experience you crave will have to return.

Until then I for one will keep sailing. Enjoy the experience with those I sail with and the new friends I have yet to meet onboard.

To be honest is rather meet someone like yourself who sounds well traveled and amuse have some great stories to share with everyone.

I understand and respect your perspective. And I hope you do the same for mine.

Lastly, I hope this encourages you to keep sailing and just enjoy life.

Regards,

ST

Hi all,

Thanks for this thread. Very informative. I just created a new account because my old username was embarrassing and I couldn't change it. I am not new to cruises, just about 10 under my belt, 3 with NCL, never on an any ship after jewel class... We are booked to sail on Escape in Jan.

Questions:

2. What do I be to prepare to shell out more cash for? I understand grats just went up and la carte dining just came out. We have the UBP which I think I am comfortable with. I'm mostly asking about extra things, such as the water park (you never know with NCL these days it seems), the ropes course, or the shows in the theatre.

We just booked this cruise a few weeks ago and now all of these changes and extra expenses almost makes me wish we had book the celebrity reflection again.

Thanks for all of your feedback in advance! Sorry if these questions are repetitive, it's almost impossible to find specific answers to questions regarding NCL without digging through tons of posts.

Extra are:

Supper club show - optional - its a dinner show. They keep changing the name.

Wine Lovers the Musical show- optional - in the supper club, but at lunch.

Specialty dining - optional

DSC - unless you prepaid it.

Spa - optional - charge/or not based on your room category

VIBE - optional

That's about it. If anyone else knows more please supplement. The changes lately really haven't changed the cost much. I think you'll still be able to enjoy your cruise within the same basic budget. The responses to the changes are based more on emotion than financial impact, at this point.

Thank you for the reply.

So just to clarify, the supper room is the "dinner show"- I understand now!

There isn't an extra charge for the theatre type productions or rope course?

Apparently I'm newer than I thought I was since I don't know what DSC stands for... Daily service charge? I am fine with the that charge of course.

Just trying to plan ahead a little so I don't get a sticker shock, haha.

Thank you for the reply.

So just to clarify, the supper room is the "dinner show"- I understand now!

There isn't an extra charge for the theatre type productions or rope course?

Apparently I'm newer than I thought I was since I don't know what DSC stands for... Daily service charge? I am fine with the that charge of course.

Just trying to plan ahead a little so I don't get a sticker shock, haha.

Yep. For the supper club dinner show "For the record: The Brat Pack".

There are no fees for any other entertainment.

the DSC is the $13.50( up from $12.95) per person service fee, as of August 1.

That was a nice message planefixer. I do understand that it is totally a first world problem. I just feel like NCL is pushing us away a little every couple of months. Raising gratuities, No take out food, Room service charge, al la carte, increase gratuities again.

This won't stop me from cruising we love cruising, we can travel anywhere and we when we look at going on a big land based trip we always seem to come back to cruising. Its simple and easy and I don't have to make 1000 different choices.

When we travel for my DD water polo games I just dream of relaxing on a ship and not driving all around, looking for places to park, to eat, things to do. Something to make the trip fun for my DS.

Yes I will get over it like I said it doesn't really effect me on this cruise. No I will not board the ship with a pissed off attitude. I really don't look for the flaws on any vacation. We sailed Quantum right after/ during a noro outbreak and still had a great time.

Look, we are new at the whole cruising thing. I know only from what I read on these boards, from people I know who have cruised years ago.

I hate it when people get so angry over this stuff. It seams so draining to me.

Perhaps if I was as fortunate as a lot of you folks, I could see the changes.

However, I take my experience from my own industry FYI I'm am in the airline industry working for GE Aviation. My job takes me all over the country. I've deadheaded on every airline that uses GE jet engines. In my 25 years I've seen the decline of public air travel.

As it was once sophisticated, now it's just a bus with wings. Seats are smaller, leg room is shrinking, nasty FA's ect..

So I understand what is being said, from a certain point of view.

But, what can I do besides just deal with it. When I was a kid you pulled up into a gas station. They would check your oil. Now, it's all self service in most state, and the price is high.

What can you do.

You are totally right.

I think a lot of us use this board to Educate (ourselves and others), Vent and Celebrate. My IRL friends would kill me if I talked about cruising as much as I do on these board. :cool: Planning and dreaming is how my vacation lasts longer than just a week.

This is nothing, people on the RCCL board where crazy when they announce Dynamic Dinning. I kept telling people it will be okay its like NCL and it can be done and done well. Not to freak out if you can not make reservations just wait and do it on ship. Most people...(I say most because some people can not get over the, I want a early/late dinner and show every night at the same time at the same place. I want the waiter to know my name and have my drink waiting for me.) Most people enjoyed the variety and adjusted to the changes.

Extra are:

Supper club show - optional - its a dinner show. They keep changing the name.

Wine Lovers the Musical show- optional - in the supper club, but at lunch.

Specialty dining - optional

DSC - unless you prepaid it.

Spa - optional - charge/or not based on your room category

VIBE - optional

That's about it. If anyone else knows more please supplement. The changes lately really haven't changed the cost much. I think you'll still be able to enjoy your cruise within the same basic budget. The responses to the changes are based more on emotion than financial impact, at this point.

Another additional charge are the various alcohol tastings. Recent pricing has been $15/tasting, held at different bars throughout the week (usually on sea days).

I'll be curious to see if some of the specialty bars (Tobacco Road, brew house, wine bar) will not be included in the UBP. Maybe that's already been announced one way or another and I've missed it.

Another additional charge are the various alcohol tastings. Recent pricing has been $15/tasting, held at different bars throughout the week (usually on sea days).

I'll be curious to see if some of the specialty bars (Tobacco Road, brew house, wine bar) will not be included in the UBP. Maybe that's already been announced one way or another and I've missed it.

Given the current promos, the tastings are not a sure thing anymore. We were on the GEM in June, all cancelled. I read on another thread a tasting on the Getaway cancelled too. The bartender at the martini bar on the Gem said they're cancelled most cruises. With most of the drinkers taking the UBP, they just order whatever they want to try, and skip the tastings. Saves them the $15. The ship keeps them scheduled, but nobody usually shows up. So, they cancel. Not that anyone notices.

Given the current promos, the tastings are not a sure thing anymore. We were on the GEM in June, all cancelled. I read on another thread a tasting on the Getaway cancelled too. The bartender at the martini bar on the Gem said they're cancelled most cruises. With most of the drinkers taking the UBP, they just order whatever they want to try, and skip the tastings. Saves them the $15. The ship keeps them scheduled, but nobody usually shows up. So, they cancel. Not that anyone notices.

Guilty of doing EXACTLY that! [emoji12]

If you don't have the UBP you might still want to check out the tastings though. On our June Sun sailing I went to the first scheduled tasting and the bartender told us that if we didn't get at least 8 to join, he would just give us a free margarita. We were able to pick what flavor we wanted, since only 4 showed up. The next tasting we had 8 people, and he did the tasting including bar flair and quizzes for additional free drinks. He even let one person who had the UBP participate, and charged his card for 2 drinks=free tasting. It's always a lot of fun when they have them!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Tasting on the Gem this week was $19.95 and included a free shaker. Maybe to appeal to those that have the UBP?