Everything.. ESCAPE (live 29 Oct 2015!)

I use the Drag Decks function from http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ and just hit Prt Sc when I allign two decks to have the see through effect while holding the deck with your mouse (using the elevators/staircases to allign). Otherwise it will just be on top of the other.

It's a great site, worth the membership.

The red stripes are from Paint. ;)

edit: not sure if you need membership to get to the Drag Decks function but the archive of stateroom pics was very worth it for me

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Escape

There is a specific tool called drag decks

top center

click on that and you can drag the decks over each other- using the elevators and stairwells to line up the decks.

I'll have to get the laptop out. I always use that site on my tablet. Never occurred to me the desktop version may be even better. Thanks!!

Adjoining balcony dividers can be opened for passenger use. There are no maritime regulations against leaving them open at sea, so any restrictions would be company policy rather than universal law.

I've seen them open many times, including recently, on NCL ships for adjoining cabins throughout a cruise.

Upcoming Cruises:

Norwegian Same-Shape

- Breakaway+: Now with MORE cabins!

Cruising History:

Celebrity D-List

- Mid-century décor meets top-notch quirk

Norwegian Lutefisk

- Freestyle: an acquired taste

Obesity of the Seas

- Because they could

Queen Boleyn

- Half-off special!

This might be the first time I've read your sig, and I did LOL. Well done!

Edited by LrgPizza

Adjoining balcony dividers can be opened for passenger use. There are no maritime regulations against leaving them open at sea, so any restrictions would be company policy rather than universal law.

I've seen them open many times, including recently, on NCL ships for adjoining cabins throughout a cruise.

1.1 SOLAS chapter II-2 Reg. 4.4 (Primary deck coverings), 5.3.1.2 (Ceilings and linings), 5.3.2 (Use of combustible materials), 6 (Smoke generation potential and toxicity) now apply to cabin balconies on new passenger ships constructed on or after 1 July 2008 with a view towards reducing the fire load on such balconies.

1.2 With regards to fire hazards associated with combustible furniture and partitions between balconies, taking into account the general principles of SOLAS chapter II-2, it has been decided that furniture and furnishings on cabin balconies be of restricted fire risk and that the partitions separating balconies be of non-combustible construction, similar to the provisions for interior spaces.

The dividers you refer to are part of the fire safety design of a ship. I you're seeing them open, I'm quite sure the ship's Captain isn't aware. ;)

1.1 SOLAS chapter II-2 Reg. 4.4 (Primary deck coverings), 5.3.1.2 (Ceilings and linings), 5.3.2 (Use of combustible materials), 6 (Smoke generation potential and toxicity) now apply to cabin balconies on new passenger ships constructed on or after 1 July 2008 with a view towards reducing the fire load on such balconies.

1.2 With regards to fire hazards associated with combustible furniture and partitions between balconies, taking into account the general principles of SOLAS chapter II-2, it has been decided that furniture and furnishings on cabin balconies be of restricted fire risk and that the partitions separating balconies be of non-combustible construction, similar to the provisions for interior spaces.

Where does it say that the dividers (partitions) be closed?

This speaks only of the materials that the dividers (and other balcony furnishing) are composed of, not how they should be arranged.

SOLAS, like most laws and conventions, is dated and sometimes lags behind the development of the industry. The idea that there could be large external areas that run along the sides of ships (rows and rows of balconies), and consequently outside of the fire zone divisions, developed fairly recently. Star Princess demonstrated that having combustable materials on balconies, without adequate fire control measures, was extremely dangerous. Changes were made to the materials, but, again, where does it say that "partitions must be closed at sea"?

That's a great link - thanks, I had missed it. I pulled off the info for Escape and started my spreadsheet. Know it sounds lame to some but I want to get info like this together for two other couples so we can sit down over my new favorite cocktail, the Dark and Stormy (thank you very much for the beverage thread!), and decide meals, excursions, the spa pass, etc.

How much are the shows? Anyone?

I haven't read the drink thread much. Do they have ginger beer on board? I could drink dark and stormy's all day long but if they try to make them with sprite and gold rum...gag!

Where does it say that the dividers (partitions) be closed?

This speaks only of the materials that the dividers (and other balcony furnishing) are composed of, not how they should be arranged.

SOLAS, like most laws and conventions, is dated and sometimes lags behind the development of the industry. The idea that there could be large external areas that run along the sides of ships (rows and rows of balconies), and consequently outside of the fire zone divisions, developed fairly recently. Star Princess demonstrated that having combustable materials on balconies, without adequate fire control measures, was extremely dangerous. Changes were made to the materials, but, again, where does it say that "partitions must be closed at sea"?

Could all of this been in effect when they allowed smoking on the balcony? personally, I can't see how that divider would deter any sort of fire! I honestly thought they were just a privacy screen :confused:

Could all of this been in effect when they allowed smoking on the balcony? personally, I can't see how that divider would deter any sort of fire! I honestly thought they were just a privacy screen :confused:

It's still in effect today, although most lines have also banned smoking on balconies.

But you're exactly right. They are privacy screens, not fire doors. They would do little to prevent the spread of a fire. The changes made following the Star Princess fire involved issues with the materials used. Nothing to do with how the dividers are used.

It's still in effect today, although most lines have also banned smoking on balconies.

But you're exactly right. They are privacy screens, not fire doors. They would do little to prevent the spread of a fire. The changes made following the Star Princess fire involved issues with the materials used. Nothing to do with how the dividers are used.

I couldn't agree with you more!

From what I've read here, the dividers open to each other to facilitate exterior cleaning, etc. So it's not a question of removing them as much as it is to have them open.

The policy on other ships is that they are to remain closed. Again from what I've read, older ships have heavier dividers so you could see how it would definitely be a safety issue if one of these slammed shut on a rough sea. The newer ships have lighter weight dividers and some argue the policy should change since it would be easy to safely secure them open on the newer ships. Policy on Escape remains to be seen. I am watching for details because we have three adjourning cabins.

Thanks for the info! I know they can't be removed completely but we've been on other ships were they at least open halfway so you can almost share a balcony with the cabin next you.

85 days out and and shows "After midnight", "Million dollar quartet" and the supper club were available to book.

One question, the supper club only had one price. I got the impression that on other ships there were premium seats etc. Does anyone know if this is,

or is not the case on escape?

thanks in advance. :Dicon14.gif

85 days out and and shows "After midnight", "Million dollar quartet" and the supper club were available to book.

One question, the supper club only had one price. I got the impression that on other ships there were premium seats etc. Does anyone know if this is,

or is not the case on escape?

thanks in advance. :Dicon14.gif

I just saw a post on our Nov 14th board which says that there are 2 levels of pricing but, don't know how this is booked as there was only one ($17.50) price online and customer service at NCL doesn't know what the OP is talking about .....no surprise! :rolleyes:

That's what I thought! Thanks for the info!

I was wondering about that too. I think I'm going to get the 4 day SDP but IF I do the supper club, I'll just get it outside the plan. I think the shows I really want to see are the After Midnight and Million Dollar Quartet anyway. I can always eat elsewhere beforehand or afterwards. [emoji3] We had the meal with Cirque on the Epic. [emoji52] It was...okay LOL (wish I could remember that cocktail I got. [emoji7][emoji7])

Btw, I still do think ES has larger balconies than BA/GA;

Not the best angle and pic but..

kspzd.png

They bump out a bit after the bridge where BA/GA are straight.

I think you're absolutely right. It could be the angle of the picture, however, if you look at the balcony from underneath, the ES balconies looks more square, and the BA balconies looks more rectangle. Does that make sense?

I think you're absolutely right. It could be the angle of the picture, however, if you look at the balcony from underneath, the ES balconies looks more square, and the BA balconies looks more rectangle. Does that make sense?

Yep. That's a good point of focus.

I was wondering about that too. I think I'm going to get the 4 day SDP but IF I do the supper club, I'll just get it outside the plan. I think the shows I really want to see are the After Midnight and Million Dollar Quartet anyway. I can always eat elsewhere beforehand or afterwards. [emoji3] We had the meal with Cirque on the Epic. [emoji52] It was...okay LOL (wish I could remember that cocktail I got. [emoji7][emoji7])

Might be wrong - but wasn't it a tequila sunrise, with a fancy name??

I've got the Escape balconies pegged around 75% deeper than her cousins (BA/GA). On the ES there is a fixed wall and also the portion that swings open, whereas on the BA/GA there is only the portion that swings open that divides the cabins. Also of note, the bridge construction is different on the ES, first there are two horizontal panes in the central control/navigation "bump". Secondly the "wings" that stretch from the central bump are straight, whereas on her cousins there is a slight radius.

The fact is NCL realized too late that no roof on the Getaway was a mistake. Miami is warm but it also rains almost every afternoon in the summer as well as in the islands.

By the time they tried to add it the cost to do it more then doubled.

I for one if booking the Haven in the summer would choose the Escape over the Getaway.

Joining the thread, having just booked Escape for the Christmas week Miami/St Thomas/Tortola/Nassau run. I like this itinerary because it has more sea days, which both DW & I like. Would love to do a TA, but can never get the dates to work right.

We did Epic in her first Caribbean season, it will be fun to do Escape the same way.

Have booked a forward facing Penthouse with balcony (H6 I think), so we get the best of both worlds. And Haven access, too.

Always fun exploring a new ship!