Zuiderdam Live May 6-17 B2B Coastal and Inside Passage

Curious as to how you had a Suite Indonesian lunch on a 4 day cruise?

Glad you are having a wonderful time.

Maybe it is the ship, the Captain or the HD. We had an Indonesian Suite Luncheon on a 7-day Alaska in September 2012 on the Zuiderdam. Captain was Emiel De Vries.and HD was Kees Van Santen. I was surprised that one was held on a 7-day cruise. But it was delicious!

I finally got a shore data signal so I can use CC again for a few days. After the criss crossing of CC accounts on the ship's internet I was afraid to use it for any account that required signing in.

San Diego disembarkation was done somewhat differently as the non Americans everyone had a sticker placed on their ship cards after they cleared immigration.

There was no announcement at first but we could see people leaving the the ship while the immigration process was taking place. After a bit it was announced that we were free to go once cleared. This is the first time we did not have to wait until all non Americans were cleared.

The process turned into a fiasco after decks one and four were called to immigration. The cruise director, instead of calling for deck five, called for all remaining non Americans to report to the show lounge. There was a rush of decks 5, 6, 7 and 8 all swarming down at once. The announcement was corrected after five minutes to limit the call to deck 5 but the damage had been done.

They just can't seem to get San Diego right.

HAL wanted everyone to leave the ship for a deep cleaning so they provided shuttles to Horton Plaza and Balboa Park. We were told not to come back before one o'clock. We were also told that we did not have to attend muster drill if we boarded in Fort Lauderdale. That is a new development.

We are enjoying our cruise very much. Service is good but it is very evident that the crew is short staffed. Nobody has time to exchange pleasantries any more.

The code red is still ongoing and is somewhat of a nuisance even though I do understand the necessity. The crew has worked very hard throughout the process.

We will be in Victoria in a few hours and will be meeting old friends for dinner.

I was supposed to embark the Zuiderdam in San Diego, but due to a recent injury, I had to cancel. (Thanks for travel insurance!) Given the number of visits that San Diego has received over the years by ships of the Holland America Line, it is difficult to understand why there are embarkation issues for new guests.

Please elaborate on the Dive In. Are they using the little pagers and has the menu been upgraded as on the other roll-outs?

thanks in advance for your response.

I was on the previous cruise, and I can report that they are using the pagers at Dive-In, and they do have the updated menu.

We tried Dive-In one day. The hamburgers were good, but in our case, oddly the hamburger buns were cold - as if they'd just been taken out of the refrigerator. Would have been better if they'd been heated. Hopefully this was just a one-off in our situation. The "sauce" was OK, nothing special. The fried onions, though, were very good.

We just received a letter on board that everything in our cabin must be put away and everyone must leave the ship in Vancouver for a deep cleaning.

We were told not to be back until 1pm. Boarding will be- not sure when new passengers will be able to board.

Given the number of visits that San Diego has received over the years by ships of the Holland America Line, it is difficult to understand why there are embarkation issues for new guests.

Such as ?

Had a great visit with Startwin today! I commented it was like I had known her for a long time thanks to CC. It is a great and unique group of people that I am thrilled to be a part of.. We just missed Sapper1 at the elevator- looking forward to meeting face to face!

So pleased that you met startwin, a super lady, did you also meet her DH?

Thanks for all your reports.

We just received a letter on board that everything in our cabin must be put away and everyone must leave the ship in Vancouver for a deep cleaning.

We were told not to be back until 1pm. Boarding will be- not sure when new passengers will be able to board.

We stripped our cabin down in San Diego for a deep cleaning and went ashore. We just got a letter asking us to do it again for Vancouver, just four days later. I told the front desk that we were already sanitised and did not want to go through the inconvenience again. We don't mind leaving the ship but we are not going to spend more vacation time taking the cabin apart and putting it back together.

The letter said we would receive a fifteen dollar pp shipboard credit to cover the cost of lunch ashore. They did not do this when passengers were asked to leave for the day in San Diego.

We had to report to customs today in Victoria and I paid $216.00 in duty on my purchases. The printer wasn't available so the officer couldn't give me a receipt to show in Vancouver. He said receipts would be given to the front desk and passengers could pick them up this evening. Well I knew in advance how that would turn out. Sure enough, when I returned to the ship after dinner ashore with friends, the front desk had no idea what I was talking about. Hopefully there will be a record in the computer system in Vancouver.

We stripped our cabin down in San Diego for a deep cleaning and went ashore. We just got a letter asking us to do it again for Vancouver, just four days later. I told the front desk that we were already sanitised and did not want to go through the inconvenience again. We don't mind leaving the ship but we are not going to spend more vacation time taking the cabin apart and putting it back together.

The letter said we would receive a fifteen dollar pp shipboard credit to cover the cost of lunch ashore. They did not do this when passengers were asked to leave for the day in San Diego.

We had to report to customs today in Victoria and I paid $216.00 in duty on my purchases. The printer wasn't available so the officer couldn't give me a receipt to show in Vancouver. He said receipts would be given to the front desk and passengers could pick them up this evening. Well I knew in advance how that would turn out. Sure enough, when I returned to the ship after dinner ashore with friends, the front desk had no idea what I was talking about. Hopefully there will be a record in the computer system in Vancouver.

sapper1 - did you use a credit card to pay the duty with customs? If you did at the least you have proof something happened there. You could pull up your statement on line and print that day's transaction. Hope you don't have a hard time when you return. Can't blame you on not having the room sanitized again. Did the front desk agree to that?

sapper1 - did you use a credit card to pay the duty with customs? If you did at the least you have proof something happened there. You could pull up your statement on line and print that day's transaction. Hope you don't have a hard time when you return. Can't blame you on not having the room sanitized again. Did the front desk agree to that?

I have a credit card slip for the transaction. I just don't have the official customs receipt.

The front desk said they would speak to housekeeping and phone me. They did not phone but I didn't really expect a call. There has been nobody in our cabin the last four days but us and we have not been ill.

Ken, Sue, Diane, and Mike and families boarded today- had a great time in the NL and nice visit to Ken and Sue's PS- very nice!!!

Stopped by the spa to check into the hydro pool. Evidently will be filled by tomorrow evening or Morning. They wanted $249 for the week for JUST the thermal suite and said we'd need to pay more when the pool opened. They quoted us $79 for the thermal suite on the Coastal- 4 nights. Doesn't take a math major to figure out know that isn't a good deal.

As usual the spa staff arrogant, cold and rude. HAL needs to follow the lead from others and get rid of Steiner- they seem to be the total opposite of everything HAL prides themselves on.

Suite get together tonight in NL- which by the way is now SELF SERVICE!!!!!

YAY!!!!!

I was on the previous cruise, and I can report that they are using the pagers at Dive-In, and they do have the updated menu.

We tried Dive-In one day. The hamburgers were good, but in our case, oddly the hamburger buns were cold - as if they'd just been taken out of the refrigerator. Would have been better if they'd been heated. Hopefully this was just a one-off in our situation. The "sauce" was OK, nothing special. The fried onions, though, were very good.

Thanks so much for your response.

Ken, Sue, Diane, and Mike and families boarded today- had a great time in the NL and nice visit to Ken and Sue's PS- very nice!!!

Stopped by the spa to check into the hydro pool. Evidently will be filled by tomorrow evening or Morning. They wanted $249 for the week for JUST the thermal suite and said we'd need to pay more when the pool opened. They quoted us $79 for the thermal suite on the Coastal- 4 nights. Doesn't take a math major to figure out know that isn't a good deal.

As usual the spa staff arrogant, cold and rude. HAL needs to follow the lead from others and get rid of Steiner- they seem to be the total opposite of everything HAL prides themselves on.

Suite get together tonight in NL- which by the way is now SELF SERVICE!!!!!

YAY!!!!!

Steiner is truly awful. I find more and more people getting fed up with them. I've pretty much sworn off going and find that seems to be the norm with people I meet. Hal would be wise to divorce themselves from them. I'm enjoying your thread. The ph is pretty nice eh?

I am enjoying your reports, and it seems like you are meeting a lot of nice people from Cruise Critic. It's too bad about the Noro situation, hope it does not spoil the cruise for you. Just wondering.... how were the seas from San Diego to Vancouver?

Just wondering.... how were the seas from San Diego to Vancouver?

I'm wondering the same thing. I won't be that far behind you. Departing on Tuesday on the Amsterdam. Almost the exact same route- We have Astoria instead of Victoria.

Steiner is truly awful. I find more and more people getting fed up with them. I've pretty much sworn off going and find that seems to be the norm with people I meet. Hal would be wise to divorce themselves from them. I'm enjoying your thread. The ph is pretty nice eh?

We are just off the Volendam and had a great Spa experience. Used the Thermal Spa package everyday and had massages. Staff was very helpful and always pleasant. The Spa manager was the best and really helped me sort through a gift card issue.

DaveOKC

We are just off the Volendam and had a great Spa experience. Used the Thermal Spa package everyday and had massages. Staff was very helpful and always pleasant. The Spa manager was the best and really helped me sort through a gift card issue.

DaveOKC

I'm speaking of nail services. I don't like getting yelled at as part of the service. I don't enjoy that, and yes, i have complained. Before I get flamed yet again ( not talking about you), the OP brought this up originally.

Edited by cruz chic

I'm speaking of nail services. I don't like getting yelled at as part of the service. I don't enjoy that, and yes, i have complained. Before I get flamed yet again ( not talking about you), the OP brought this up originally.

I have to also say that HAL's spa programs vary ALOT by ship. Some have been great, others have been a pain to deal with. Seems to be that the Spa company needs to do more training of their staff to have consistantly good service.

DaveOKC

I have to also say that HAL's spa programs vary ALOT by ship. Some have been great, others have been a pain to deal with. Seems to be that the Spa company needs to do more training of their staff to have consistantly good service.

DaveOKC

I have received great personalized service in the SPAs on HAL. I look forward to the Oosterdam where the young lady behind the counter has remembered me and call me by name 4-years in row now...

This morning NL was back to velvet ropes and no self service- hopefully just until tomorrow.

Not a happy group in there this morning after self service yesterday- a lot of people were concerned.

Will update if things change either way.