You guys are scaring me......

SPacificbound

With all of the posts I have seen lately from Celebrity cruisers not happy with Celebrity changes, I am becoming concerned that maybe we should run not walk away from the three celebrity cruises we have booked.

We have been perfectly happy with our Royal Caribbean cruises, maybe we are making a mistake.

Anyone? :confused:

Don't worry, you are reading posts from Cruise Critic members and not Celebrity cruisers. OK the former are a subset of the latter but, perhaps, the most vocal subset. Not all the complainers have even been on a cruise recently! They are just anticipating a negative experience in the future.

Cruise Critic goes through cycles. At the moment, it is a very negative phase. I have seen it all before. There are times when we have been disappointed about something but Cruise Critic is in a positive phase. Then you will be flamed for making a negative comment!

Any price rise is likely to produce negative responses but prices rise. At times like these, I spend less time on Cruise Critic and stop reading the negative threads.

Just back from the Summit and loved it. We have another cruise on the Reflection in November scheduled and probably do the Summit to Bermuda next year. Relax and enjoy...

With all of the posts I have seen lately from Celebrity cruisers not happy with Celebrity changes, I am becoming concerned that maybe we should run not walk away from the three celebrity cruises we have booked.

We have been perfectly happy with our Royal Caribbean cruises, maybe we are making a mistake.

Don't walk away, I would be more than surprised if you didn't love your cruise

Just back off Eclipse and it was wonderful

Best advice is to just 'go with the flow'. Most people seem to have a wonderful time on Celebrity cruises.

While some will have justifications for their complaint there are many serial complainers on CC who comment on what's wrong without ever commenting on what's right.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Cruise Critic goes through cycles. At the moment, it is a very negative phase. I have seen it all before. There are times when we have been disappointed about something but Cruise Critic is in a positive phase. Then you will be flamed for making a negative comment!

That's because the cruise line also goes through cycles.

Currently it's in a very cutting cycle, maybe the beginning of the financial year for them. Lots of changes being made.

As times goes on, people get used to the new world order, and if there are issues that continue to cause resentment, the line puts extras in. And so the negative cycle winds down, and the positive ramps up.

We loved our first Celebrity cruise (April 11, 2014 Solstice Transpacific) so much, we booked another cruise onboard. We were impressed with the quality of food and entertainment, the wide range of activities, the friendly staff, and the cleanliness of the ship. Enjoy your cruise.

As a "new" Celebrity cruiser (2 cruises on the Summit in the past 4 months - mostly Carnival cruises prior to that) I couldn't be more pleased with the Celebrity product even despite any of the recent changes. I have 2 more cruises currently booked on Celebrity. As long as you go with a good attitude, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise! :)

Never been disappointed with Celebrity.

We have done seven Celebrity cruises in four years and have two more booked for 2015.

We have had very few negative issues with Celebrity. The food, service, ships and crew are excellent.

Here are my reviews of our X cruises.

South America

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248878

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=94024

Black Sea and E. Med

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=228545

British Isles

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221137

Transatlantic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221136

Australia

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=216863

Southern Caribbean

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=

We discovered Celebrity several years ago and rarely travel on another line, with the exception of RCL due to some of their unique itineraries. I have also read the negative comments about changes to drink packages, fees for Zumba classes, offensive music, etc. etc. Some people on Cruise Critic want to focus on the negatives and would probably complain about any line they were on.

Go to your Roll Call for your sailing. Cruise Critic members usually make up less than 10% of the passengers. You are only hearing from a small percentage of Celebrity Cruisers and from that 10%, it could be a lot less who actually complain.

There is a wealth of information on Cruise Critic but not all of it can be beneficial to a first time Celebrity Cruiser due to some of the negative comments. Go have fun and make up your mind about Celebrity after your cruise.

I am counting the days and hours until my next cruise on the magnificent Equinox. I look forward to seeing all the changes.

You are going to have to weigh the changes and see if they are things that would make or break having a enjoyable cruise for you and your family. No comment here can determine that for you. You have gone on enough sailings to know and understand what will go on during your time on ship.

I also have been reading many negative posts which has had me a little concerned about our Reflection cruise this month. But the more I think about it, it seems most of the complaints come from longtime cruisers upset about changes in the industry as a whole, not just Celebrity. Cruising everywhere is heading towards a more a la carte approach, which means that there are indeed lots of potential extra charges, but the overall price stays low. The dress code is not followed as closely, but life everywhere is more casual than it used to be. Higher paying customers are getting more perks, but I see this on other cruise lines too. Traditional dining is fading away, more options are available, but I think cruisers are looking for less emphasis on a lengthy, structured dinner. So, I am keeping an open mind. We have enjoyed all our previous Celebrity cruises and certainly plan to enjoy this one as well.

Our first three cruises were on Celebrity - we took a break (not by choice) and then did a Royal Caribbean, Carnival and another Royal Caribbean cruise. Last fall we were very excited to be back to Celebrity (Summit) and it was everything we remembered. I will sail on any line if the price is right, but our favorite has always been Celebrity. I'm very excited that we are booked on the Reflection in November and can't wait!! I hope you will love Celebrity, it is a wonderful cruise line!!

The worst is, it is almost impossible to find potato chips at 5 pm , how can you have happy hour without potato chips!

I may never cruise Celebrity again :p

By the way , if you ask you will receive :D

Excellent comment. Thx for the great smile this post gave me.

As you can see from my signature, almost half of my cruising has been on Celebrity. Nothing anybody has said on CC.com has caused me to abandon X as my cruise line of choice. I wasn't even going to read the latest ANGRY thread, but when I did, it turned out that person hasn't even cruised yet!

I personally think you will love the onboard experience, but that's just an educated guess on my part.

Much good advice from other posters, before me, here. Indeed, I think we're glad, OP, that you asked the question!

I do hope you have a great time. Come back afterwards and report to us, ok?

--May

Edited by May B

Look at it this way. People who never cruised RCI before and are looking to cruise RCI for the first time are reading those same exact reviews...cutbacks, changes, yada, yada. But you and I both know it is still an excellent cruise line. Same goes for Celebrity. I highly recommend against walking away from those Celebrity cruises. Celebrity is an excellent alternative to cruising RCI, IMO.

Our first cruise was last August on Millennium (yes - THAT cruise - stuck in Ketchikan). The breakdown, evacuation, and ensuing delays/frustrations with getting properly reimbursed left a bad taste about Celebrity to be sure.

We are booked again this August on Solstice with fingers crossed. Even after applying the FCCs from our Millennium misadventure, this Solstice cruise will be the most expensive vacation ever for our family of six, so I have high expectations. The recent cruisecritic reports of Celebrity cost-cutting make me a little wary to be honest. After paying so much for this cruise, I'm not looking forward to the endless nickle-and-diming for drinks, specialty restaurants, photos, unexpected fees, etc. If it's all just a game to see how much additional money Celebrity can squeeze out of me, that's not what I consider a great vacation.

We are new to cruising, and our upcoming cruise is really an experiment to see if cruising suits us. While I don't have other cruises to compare with, I know bad service when I see it. If I detect that Celebrity cost-cutting is impairing our experience, then we will likely not cruise again. There are so many land-based vacation options available that I don't want to waste limited vacation time on a sub-par experience. We have done a lot of timeshares for our past vacations and that is our basis for comparison (completely different kind of vacation, I know).

My primary measurements will be ship condition, food quality and long waits for service in the MDR. We are not drinkers, so I won't be affected much by any drink package deficiencies (it's a bit of an eye-opener for me to learn how drinking is so central to the vacation experience of some).

I have very much appreciated the many threads and comments here on cruisecritic (the glowing reviews as well as the sniping and complaining). It is all relevant and interesting to me as a new cruiser. I have learned so much and I still have more to learn. It is fun to be exposed to the cruising subculture through this forum (not surprisingly, there is also a timeshare subculture with similar forums). Oh the wonders of the interweb.

Cheers, and happy cruising to us all.

It is all in perspective, the cruise industry is making an adjustment as a whole, so the discussions of changes can be seen in most of the forums. New cruisers have it easier because they have few or no experiences to compare the changes. Those of us who have been cruising awhile are noting the changes and our feelings of those changes. The good news is that the basic rates of cruising aren't changing much, the bad news is the cruise lines have to make cuts to keep those prices down. But you will be OK, I am sure you will enjoy the cruise.

Burt

If only they would listen to themselves and find another cruise line, then when entering an elevator EVERYONE would say good morning and hi to one another. :)

There is a difference between being Criticial and Negative.....right?

We departed the Constellation last Friday following its TA, and were pleased with the cruise. That was our 16th Celebrity cruise, and while there have been changes through the years, Celebrity still offers a great product. While onboard the Constellation we booked another two cruises, so we now have seven future Celebrity cruises booked (a pair of B2B this coming fall, a B2B2B set for the spring of 2015 and another B2B pair for the fall of 2015).