Did Celebrity Management Get the Message

mcrcruiser

I doubt anyone does, but many of us already are.

• I never eat breakfast, just a cup of coffee, but I am paying for breakfast foods in my cabin fare certainly.
  • I no longer see the shows in the Theatre, so why am I subsidizing those now?
  • I don't do trivia or any of those games, so why should my cabin fare go towards paying for the staff that run those?
  • I never use the outdoor pool, only the indoor pool. I find the outdoor one's water too chilly for me. So I only want to pay partially towards pool maintenance.
  • I don't like the hot glass show and don't go there.
  • I sometimes eat in specialty restaurants, so why shouldn't I get a credit back for the cruise fare that's paying for my meal in the MDR that night? What about a night I eat in port if it'a a late call or overnight? Or lunch in a port?

Maybe everyone should have to swipe their sea pass cards and be charged for everything we do to ensure no one pays for something they don't use.

I realize it's a bit extreme, but point is we are all already subsidizing things we all don't use. That so many people take the drinks package when offered as a perk, some here say it's 80% of people take it - though I have no way of knowing for sure - it seems like the majority do use the drinks and therefore having drinks as part of the already subsidized things like meals and entertainment isn't really a far reach. Many here also say the free drinks are actually part of their cruise fare so the argument can't be made that that it isn't already being paid for by those who take it as a perk.

To Add to your list

We subsidize the elite breakfast and evening cocktails and all the other perks that come with the captains club. At the rate I can afford to sail I will never earn enough points to reach those levels or by the time I do most of the perks will probably be gone. If they offer an all inclusive experience than the free coffee and cocktails for elites is no longer a perk.

I purchased the drink package on my cruise only because I know that I would at least break even. I like to enjoy myself with out being hung over the next day or falling down all over the ship. I drank a cocktail at every meal and a few in the evening plus coffee, soft drinks and water. Celebrity's beverage prices are steeper than what I have paid on Princess so the package worked out for us. With that said I would still rather have the choice of paying for what I want than having the fare so inflated that I couldn't afford to get on the ship.

I really don`t see X going all inclusive. We too have sailed and loved Azamara, however we have not been back since the prices went up quite a bit. As Elite + we already have pre dinner drinks and Morning Bloody Mary`s and free special coffee`s. We most often have at least $300. OBC. We use that for wine at dinner or Specialty Dine. On our last two week cruise our final bill was $152. and that was with 2 bottles of duty free to take to friends. I know free drink package would not be worth it to us. Nor would the new all inclusive Celebrity.

My spouse and I also stopped cruising with Azamara, because we did not see where the increased price/ all inclusive/ bespoke service would do anything for us, even if we liked the Booze offerred By AZ or Celebrity Classic. One time, I figured out that the only way to make all inclusive work for the consumer, is to never leave the ship and start drinking any and all of the included 'liquids" from embark to disembark. We are Elite and feel the nitely drinks are sufficient and if we want more, that's what we use the OBC for(including coffee). All inclusive does not work for us and if Celebrity goes that route, we too would find a new way to sail the Ocean Blue.

When we were on the Connie last month there were people in the elevator laying on the floor, completely drunk. Laughing and rolling around. They were also several drinks into the day at muster drill. Loud and not paying attention to the directions.

I have not been on the board for a while, I assume by this thread the 123 packages are gone now. That's a shame as I like the options and also feel it makes for a more fun cruise. My recent Reflection cruise was my best Celebrity experience, and I'm hoping to book a longer cruise soon.

Does anyone here feel the 123 program will return? Have they stopped and started it in the past?

Thanks!

I have not been on the board for a while, I assume by this thread the 123 packages are gone now. That's a shame as I like the options and also feel it makes for a more fun cruise. My recent Reflection cruise was my best Celebrity experience, and I'm hoping to book a longer cruise soon.

Does anyone here feel the 123 program will return? Have they stopped and started it in the past?

Thanks!

.I'm sure it will return (I think you can get it, if you book onboard). It was a hit, at least that is what Celebrity told me yesterday

Edited by NLH Arizona

My friends (we are in our late forties, early fifties) have all been happier going to all inclusive hotels due to the unlimited drinks. A few have tried cruises and complained about the high drink prices, they tend to be hang out and drink kind of people.

My husband and I are more of the type that like to do things and maybe have a drink too. We don't usually drink much and therefore we haven't gone to an all inclusive yet because of the price.

If Celebrity cruise prices rise dramatically to cover an all inclusive environment - we will probably start looking at going on other lines but you might be able to book my friends.

So, for Celebrity - it might be a win.

Thanks!

I think they are likely to bring it back in the US at some point - Celebrity UK is currently offering "World of Extras" for 2014 cruises, which is a choice of the classic drinks package or $300 OBC. The OBC would be much better value for us, as we get the Elite perks and our bill for other drinks is tiny. However, we have not booked for this year yet, as we feel we can probably get a better basic price after the current promotion ends on June 2nd.

I don't think Celebrity will go down the all-inclusive route and hope they just continue to offer the drinks package from time to time with an OBC alternative. I do understand that for many people the drinks package is a major perk, but it has no appeal for us, and if Celebrity went down the all-inclusive route, we would switch to another line, as we would feel that we were no longer getting value for money from X.

Edited by Suzy Smith

On my recent cruise, we did not buy the drink package. We had some OBC which we used for a few special coffees. We did not notice any crowds drinking or getting drunk. There were fewer bar waiters. On the pool deck, we hardly saw any. There were some hot days when I would have enjoyed a drink while lounging. No waiters. Since I had to get up to go get a drink, I opted for ice tea. Celebrity could have made a lot more money on those hot days at the pool. Perhaps, by limiting bar service, it saved on the prepaid drink packages. For me, the missing bar service saved me money.

I always buy the premium pkg, while my wife gets the wine package. With that being said...

Personally, I don't like the idea of all-inclusive program. I think this program wouldn't be well received by a majority of the current clientele. Why? Cost of course, nothing's for free. I like X because I am given a choice on what packages and services I can purchase. Currently X is like an a la carte cruise line for some things. I like to pay for the services & packages that I use. I am not a budget traveler. However, I do shop for the best deal for me at the time.

Does something need to change? Several types of all-inclusive packages perhaps?

My spouse and I also stopped cruising with Azamara, because we did not see where the increased price/ all inclusive/ bespoke service would do anything for us, even if we liked the Booze offerred By AZ or Celebrity Classic. One time, I figured out that the only way to make all inclusive work for the consumer, is to never leave the ship and start drinking any and all of the included 'liquids" from embark to disembark. We are Elite and feel the nitely drinks are sufficient and if we want more, that's what we use the OBC for(including coffee). All inclusive does not work for us and if Celebrity goes that route, we too would find a new way to sail the Ocean Blue.

Perhaps that's what they are hoping happens: the more costly Elite & above passengers will move on to pastures new where they are then the 'new' cruisers on other lines and generate more revenue for their 'new' company choice, and then X will entice 'new' cruisers who spend more onboard and do not qualify for the nightly/daily perks that eat into their profits. Additionally, under the new points system, it would take far longer for the 'new' cruisers to reach the higher levels, therefore reducing X's expenditure over a longer period of time e.g. less pax at nightly/CC functions due to fewer higher level cruisers.

Before I'm flamed, it's not my recommendation but just a thought, especially after reading the above post quoting 6 glasses of wine per person per night in the happy hour slot (this has to come out of someone's budgets) :eek:. If it's all-inclusive, there will be no need to provide some of the current perks as they will not be warranted - numbers in the happy hour will reduce because drinks will be included in the price for everyone (no moans from pax as their perks won't actually be taken away from them, just distributed in a different way).

This could be a win win situation for them as some pax may return to X after sampling the alternatives - obviously, then having to pay the higher all-inclusive prices. Personally I would prefer them not changing to all-inclusive, but who knows what's on the cards?

The new promotions for cash in lieu of the 123 Go packages .

Did management finally realize that the booze deals one cost too much & two lead to people consuming too much & having too many alcohol problems on board ? Thus ,they are now offering cash incentives ;)

I disagree on several fronts. The classic drink package seems the most expensive perk for Celebrity but is it ?

The gratuity and OBC options are net loses while the beverage options states value is a small % of its cost.

I agree that the drinks package is the best deal for many but that doesn't mean it costs Celebrity significantly more then the others.

In addition, the profit that is made by people upgrading to the premium package and the possibility that this is the option that really brings people to cruise Celebrity makes me disagree with you that "the booze deals ...cost too much ".

I have seen no evidence of the package causing "too many alcohol problems on board ".

I only saw one person (2 times) clearly having over imbibed. She may have done the same without the "free booze".

(Edited to add that as others have said, the package is WAY MORE then just alcoholic drinks. That why we got it.)

Celebrity does have a problem. Too many berths to fill in a down economy. Trying to keep its niche rep as a preminum line but hold prices down with food prices up.Keeping its old line customer base but needing to attract new cruisers who book exclusively on price Unlimited alcohol is only practical on luxury lines. $15 per diem service charges? not in near future unless CCL starts it.
Very interesting points.

This is why I'd like to see Celebrity go a-la-carte, we would then pay for what we want.
Are you referring to the 123 packages or something else ? What do you mean by a-la-carte ? Edited by richstowe

For our upcoming cruise, we chose the beverage package. If we purchased it, it would be $50 pp per day. We decided that we don't HAVE TO drink $50 or more worth of beverages a day to make it the better option (for us). If we have two drinks a day (which is the equivalent of something in the afternoon by the pool and something before dinner and two glasses of wine at dinner, that would cost us about $30 a day, each including the 15% gratuity. For a 10 day cruise, that would cost us as a couple $600. Considerably more then pre=paid gratuities or a $300 per CABIN OBC. Not to mention water, sodas, coffees etc that are included in the package. You have to weigh the options and decide which is the best option, FOR YOU. If you took the $300 OBC, could that be applied towards gratuities? If so, if you're on a 10 day cruise, that would give you about $50 more then pre-paid gratuities.

We had the drink package last Nov. and have it again for this Nov. We upgraded to the premium both times. It was nice to try some different drinks that we probably wouldn't have without the package, but we didn't drink any more alcoholic drinks than if we were paying for them. What we did indulge in more than we usually do was the other drinks included in the package. Hubby had a fresh squeezed oj each morning, I tried different smoothies during the day and instead of regular water or lemonade with our meals we had a bottle of sparkling water. It was also nice to be able to take a nice cold water with us at every port as we left the ship. I'd love to see it included with every cruise in the future!

We have had the pkg on our last 3 cruises as a perk (ie 123) Celebrity makes money off of us as we don't drink all that much. Big but!!! I hate it when we have to pay for drinks because we/I decide not to order something that strikes my fancy ie Chocolate Martini, that fantastic wine or a Dragonfly from the Molecular Bar) because of the cost. I talk myself out of something that I never would be able to do at home because the $$$'s start adding up in my head. The freedom to try new drinks, order without a thought to your final folio balance is wonderful to both DH and I.

This is exactly why we picked the drink package. My wife doesn't drink much on a cruise because she hates spending the money. Even if she wanted one she probably wouldn't get it. This way she doesn't have to think about it. Will she get her money's worth? Who knows but the point is that she will now order a drink and not worry. We will even upgrade her to the premium if needed. It's not the money (to some extent) but the freedom that it gives her. She'll try some of the more exotic drinks knowing that she doesn't have to finish them if she doesn't like them.

I also have the package and I do not drink alcohol at all. I'll take advantage of the other drinks, especially bottled water and good coffee. But, the other option was $300 OBC so it was worth it especially since we already have so much OBC already. Just her package would be more than that.

This is pretty much the reason we don't do all inclusive. so much of the fee is tied to alcohol.

We are hearing here that if you book a new Celebrity cruise while on a Celebrity ship ,you can still get the Classic drink package in addition to the new cash incentives . Will some one verify this ?

We are hearing here that if you book a new Celebrity cruise while on a Celebrity ship ,you can still get the Classic drink package in addition to the new cash incentives . Will some one verify this ?

This is true.

This is true.

Most of the time. There are exceptions.

The new program does give you some OBC for booking on board plus a choice from the 123Go list. BUT, transatlantic, transpacific and repositioning cruises do NOT get the 123Go part of the offer. When we were on the Infinity in March, we did get a second OBC that was called "deployment OBC". But these cruises fall under the 4-5 night column (reduced OBC in all categories) and the extra OBC was just $200.

Example:

We booked a transpacific cruise and got $200 OBC for a Concierge cabin even though it was an 18-night cruise. We also got $200 for the deployment OBC that appears to be added to the exception cruises instead of the 123Go. If it had not been a TP cruise, the 16+ night column would have given us $400 plus the 123Go.

Most of the time. There are exceptions.

The new program does give you some OBC for booking on board plus a choice from the 123Go list. BUT, transatlantic, transpacific and repositioning cruises do NOT get the 123Go part of the offer.

When I booked on board during my march 8th Summit charter sailing this spring, I got the Beverage package on the Century repositioning cruise Dubai to Rome as well as OBC. The book on board 1-2-3 policy excludes only TA and TPAC's - it was unique in that it didn't mention repositioning, which that cruise is labeled as. There was much discussion about it around March 15-March 30 on the roll call for that cruise and many now have in fact added it on.

The only "repositioning" cruises Celebrity currently has on offer are those 2 final Century sailings, Singapore to Dubai then Dubai to Rome.

Actually today I note on the X website on the drop down for DESTINATION, the REPOSITION option is no longer listed as it was a month or so ago. Wonder what they refer to those 2 as now...? X website at its best...

When I booked on board during my march 8th Summit charter sailing this spring, I got the Beverage package on the Century repositioning cruise Dubai to Rome as well as OBC. The book on board 1-2-3 policy excludes only TA and TPAC's - it was unique in that it didn't mention repositioning, which that cruise is labeled as. There was much discussion about it around March 15-March 30 on the roll call for that cruise and many now have in fact added it on.

The only "repositioning" cruises Celebrity currently has on offer are those 2 final Century sailings, Singapore to Dubai then Dubai to Rome.

Actually today I note on the X website on the drop down for DESTINATION, the REPOSITION option is no longer listed as it was a month or so ago. Wonder what they refer to those 2 as now...? X website at its best...

"Repositioning" is a term that is interpreted rather loosely by Celebrity (along with many other things they are somewhat inconsistent with).

I booked the Millennium from Singapore to Sydney, Sydney to Honolulu and Honolulu to Vancouver in March/April 2016 while on the Infinity in April this year. The first leg qualified for 123Go and I can only assume that they consider Australia as part of Asia. The other two legs got the Transpacific limited benefits.

I'm on that Century cruise with you and tried to re-book to get the OBC and gratuities from 123Go. But between the time I booked the cruise and current prices, the taxes/fees had gone up nearly $500 and the new benefits were not enough better than what I had ($300 OBC for using Passages and $200 OBC for Farewell to Century) to merit rebooking.

Look what I found.

xinconsistent-vi.jpg

"Repositioning" is a term that is interpreted rather loosely by Celebrity (along with many other things they are somewhat inconsistent with).

I booked the Millennium from Singapore to Sydney, Sydney to Honolulu and Honolulu to Vancouver in March/April 2016 while on the Infinity in April this year. The first leg qualified for 123Go and I can only assume that they consider Australia as part of Asia. The other two legs got the Transpacific limited benefits.

I'm on that Century cruise with you and tried to re-book to get the OBC and gratuities from 123Go. But between the time I booked the cruise and current prices, the taxes/fees had gone up nearly $500 and the new benefits were not enough better than what I had ($300 OBC for using Passages and $200 OBC for Farewell to Century) to merit rebooking.

Look what I found.

Dang, I thought you were going to say that the April 2016 Honolulu to Vancouver was included in the promotion....I was ready to call my TA. See you on that cruise!!!! Edited by NLH Arizona

Look what I found.

xinconsistent-vi.jpg

The image is funny!

I did recheck my booking to be sure, and I got beverages and $300 OBC from x and my TA is kicking me $500 OBC too. Not sure how i'll spend all that OBC my onboard spend rarely goes over $300....I hear the spa calling me..... LOL.

I;m pretty excited as I;'ve never been to Dubai and always wanted to go, this was my push to finally make it happen.

See you onboard...!

$300. I thought the whole idea was to attract younger big spenders on board. I don't know any of my old timer friends who ever have a bill that small. :D

I tend to put it all into the cabin price right up front and be done with it :D part of the reason I am looking forward to Suite Perks roll out, even if cabin fare increases a bit to cover those add ons, and if I need a beverage package I buy in advance and upgrade in advance...the times I've bought additional specialty dining again I booked in advance. The cabins I sail in have specialty dining once or 2 times a cruise and then the elite coupons make up a lot of the other extras that were earned with the spend along the way along the way. Not sure what is really left to spend on at that point LOL.

Just how I like to budget, I like it all paid for and done so when I go, I have no worries about the bill when I leave the ship! The OBC is just monopoly money then at that point to indulge...!

I think that basically after the 1st 2 or 3 cruses, not much need to spend on the extras anymore, and I really don't do shore excursions either or if I do book with 3rd parties or with my group. I really just like to generally vegetate on a cruise to recharge listening to the silence of the waves passing by on the veranda - why the cabin itself is of so much importance to me.

The point is many of the old folks spend just as much or more than the young people do.

Before the beverage packages, most of us spent a lot more than that on wine with dinner. We kind of prefer some of the better wines. Even though we are all Elite or above we don't even use the coupons because we like a nice Martini from the Martini Bar or a glass of good Champagne. We always patronize the specialty restaurants, we still buy a few photos, spend money in the spa and casino and even occasionally take a ship's tour, depending where we are. Most of the time we do our own tours. Many of us even sail in suites.

We have a lot more time to cruise and when we do we usually bring a lot of people along. I know all my children and grandchildren, friends and relatives would not be so fond of cruising if we hadn't brought them along.

I would hope they might consider some of these old fogies worth keeping.

Edited by Ma Bell