What do you do about eating on shore excursions?

warmwinds

Most that fall during lunch usually include something, don't they?

We had one scheduled for 1 pm, planned on eating something beforehand. It has now been changed to 10 am, it's 4 hours long, and no mention of a meal. I know you can't bring food off the ship, and there MIGHT be a place to grab something during the tour, but again, maybe not.

Edited by warmwinds

Where is the tour? You usually get some time on your own to explore. You could take some of your free time and stop get a snack or a fast burger. Really depends on the tour. Or, you could follow the good suggestions of others. If it doesn't say hat there will be a food stop, there won't be a food stop. Four hours is really short for a tour related food break.

Where is the tour? You usually get some time on your own to explore. You could take some of your free time and stop get a snack or a fast burger. Really depends on the tour. Or, you could follow the good suggestions of others. If it doesn't say hat there will be a food stop, there won't be a food stop. Four hours is really short for a tour related food break.

4 hours without food on a celebrity cruise, that is like a lifetime :D

Muffins, bread, cookies, NO!

Boxed cereal should be OK in most countries

wheat, sugar, nuts, ..... All are agricultural products[/

I took a couple of the peanut cookies off the ship in my handbag, I was going to take them to the cabin and forgot they were in my bag, I ate them off the ship, I never gave it a thought, are they not allowed, if so why, how can something coming from my bag being eaten by me harm ? Just wondering what the rules are for ?

4 hours without food on a celebrity cruise, that is like a lifetime :D

Could very well be especially if there are medical considerations. It would be best for me to cut down on snacks and skip a meal or two.

We make sure we have some protein for breakfast and then we would go without till we're back on board and have a cappuccino or pizza. However, if it's a long tour, 6 hours or so, we would find something to eat on the tour.

Edited by YVR cruiser

As someone who doesn't normally eat breakfast, I'll eat breakfast if I'm going to be on an excursion that doesn't include food. Lately though, we've been booking shorter excursions in the morning so that we can spend some time in the port city and sample the local foods and beverages.

Most countries of the world have agricultural protection laws. Some, such as Australia and New Zealand, and Chile even have sniffer dogs check all hand luggage, purses, backpacks, looking for any food taken off the ship. Some do visual searches. You will see messages reminding passengers not to take food off the ship in the Daily. What harm they can do, I can't say. I just know that taking food off the ship often violates the laws of the country you are visiting.

You will always in my experience stop somewhere that has a

cafe /snack bar open for drinks and snacks.

I don't know if you can take a Banana or a piece of fruit with you.

Maybe I'm lucky but waiting til just after 2 pm wouldn't bother me.

So Long as I can get a Beer:D:D:D

Edited by swigso

I would imagine that on a six-hour tour there will be at least one break in which to get something to eat. Depending on where your tour is, local offerings are often a highlight of a shore visit.

Provided your cruise starts in the US, the following is what Canadian Border Services says you can bring into the country:

Canada maintains limits on certain food products imported from the United States. Meat and poultry products are among the most stringently controlled food products. The following is a list of some of the quantities that a visitor may bring into the country. Note that this is an incomplete list of Customs Canada's limitations, and that all meat products must be labeled or identified as products of the U.S.

Examples of Products and the maximum amounts that can be imported upon entry to Canada

• Dairy products (such as cheese, butter or milk): 44 lbs/20 kilo, not to exceed $20 in value
  • Margarine and imitation butter products: 6.6 lbs/3 kilo
  • Eggs: 2 dozen
  • Meat, meat products, poultry or poultry products: 44 lbs/20 kilo

There are separate limits within this category as follows:

Turkey or turkey products: 1 whole turkey, or the 10 kilo of turkey products

Chicken, chicken products: 22 lbs/10 kilo chicken or chicken products

Meat products from cattle, bison, buffalo sheep or goat: 11 lbs/5 kilo

Fruit (temperate, such as those grown in Canada): generally prohibited*

Fruit (tropical): 550 lbs/250 kilo per person

Fruit and vegetables (dried, canned): 44 lb/20 kilo

Could very well be especially if there are medical considerations. It would be best for me to cut down on snacks and skip a meal or two.

I would think that anyone who has a medical condition would be well prepared in having some form of packaged snack with them at all times

Either just eat breakfast, buy a quick packaged snack right in the terminal or shops or just skip (if medically possible). Many times we just skip lunch entirely and you know what? It's ok! I think the tour operators - both ship's and otherwise - *know* that you're touring in the middle of lunch, and perhaps they'll have something for you. Even with a schedule change. This is what they do for a living. They want good reviews, tips, and repeat business. I really wouldn't worry about it. Aside from medical issues (which I'm sure if applicable you already take care of routinely anyway) the worst that can happen is you are hungry.

We typically travel with a couple of those sealed, individual pre-packaged nuts and trail mix and that should get you through a couple hours. We don't bring a box full of them - maybe two each, tossed in the suitcase. Plus they're safe to take on shore. Also on the plane I usually don't eat the stuff they offer so if you are offered nuts you can always keep those for emergency shore excursion food.

I won't tell the story of the time we were driving through Switzerland at night and because of crazy circumstances too long to go into here, all we had for dinner was a half pack of SweeTarts. But it did make for a memory!

I'm probably overthinking this since we just got the e-mail about the change in time.

It's not a "medical" issue, but I do get weak and lightheaded if I don't eat regularly (and yeah, on a cruise you do seem to eat non-stop).

The shore excursion is to a (relatively) remote area (Baddeck/Bell Museum out of Sydney in Nova Scotia) so I don't think there's a stop for shopping, etc., where there would also be places to grab a bite but I might be wrong.

If the excursions don't include anything they usually stop some where where there is a place to us something so take some money.

It also depends on when it finishes. I don't need to eat at a set time. I can always survive until we get back on board or just find a place after the tour.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅