One suggestion to curb Noro at the source...

Ensuring that we all have a good time.

In April, my wife and I had our first cruise (out of six) impacted by Noro. The bug was brought onboard in San Diego. We went into early stages of Code Red on the third full day of the cruise in Puerto Vallarta. We stayed in Code Red until we disembarked in Miami. By then, we could not enter a shop without a dose of Purell.

The bug could not be eliminated because some passengers would not self-identify and call Medical. Both Rich, the cruise director, and the Infinity Captain implored passengers to report to medical so the outbreak could be terminated.

If passengers are going to be selfish and not consider the other guests on the ship,then it's time we add another step to the boarding procedure. But first, medical technology will need to provide us with a mouth swab test that immediately detects active Noro. Once we have that test, it can be administered before boarding. A positive hit on Noro will send the passenger into immediate medical counseling and possible quarantine in their cabin. if the guest does not comply, Embarkation will be refused with a full refund.***

***I suspect it is cheaper to deny boarding than to clean a ship over and over again.

As to children five and under and the effectiveness of swim diapers, that subject was well discussed in a different forum.

Hi Cruise Critic Moderator: I'd appreciate it if you could hold a vote about having Noro tests before boarding should one become available. The cost to cruise Iines and passenger expectations of Noro outbreaks is significant.

Note: Sometimes I post an idea or observation. But, cannot return to CC quickly to respond because of my day job.

having Noro tests before boarding should one become available. The cost to cruise Iines and passenger expectations of Noro outbreaks is significant.

Does not a noro-test involve a stool sample?

Having a laboratory test for up to 3,000 people after a poop stop would need resources, time and facilities not available in boarding terminals.

Having a laboratory test for up to 3,000 people after a poop stop would need resources, time and facilities not available in boarding terminals.

I can just envision some enterprising person setting up a "Clean Poop" stand near the terminal.

Agree that self reporting doesn't work. Requiring passengers to sign a form is most likely designed to protect the company rather than the public.

Must accept that there are some things we just can't control at this time with the technology that is available.

The test for Noro is a stool sample not a swab. Everyone has some of the Noro virus in and on their body.

Isn't Mexico known for giving people gastrointestinal illness? I guess the point is this....

Follow the prescribed procedures...

If you wake up in the night vomiting... do NOT leave the stateroom to go to the medical center. Instead, report this to the medical center during their open hours. Your vomiting is not an "emergency". This happened to me last year. They were very kind, told me to remain in the cabin and have room service bring me food and liquids until I was fever free and vomit/diarrhea free for 24 hours. I was in the cabin for a little over 24 hours. It sent my son out of the room to make sure that he wasn't exposed. It wasn't as bad as one might think. After a series of bathroom visits over the course of two hours- I was just exhausted and had a mild fever. I was was completely better within 24 hours. It may vary per person. No one else seemed to be ill on that sailing and I don't know if it was NORO or food poisoning. I thought perhaps it was seasickness but that wouldn't explain the mild fever.

Just do the right thing. None of my trivia pals ended up sick and as far as I know there was no outbreak.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I am a nurse, so I get all the fuss over the Noro virus. What I do not get is why there is NO fuss over the respiratory bug that seems to be even more prevalent on ships than Noro. I realize that a respiratory virus will last longer than Noro, and thus more difficult to quarantine passengers, but it seems that some of the precautions used for Noro would also be beneficial with a respiratory virus outbreak. I hate Code Red procedures as it makes a lot of work for the staff as well as long lines for passengers. However, there is something to be said for not allowing a person who is blowing their nose every two minutes and hacking into their sleeves (if we are lucky) to not be allowed to touch the salad tongs or the coffee spigot.

Both viruses can really put a damper on a cruise. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer.

Isn't Mexico known for giving people gastrointestinal illness? I guess the point is this....

Follow the prescribed procedures...

If you wake up in the night vomiting... do NOT leave the stateroom to go to the medical center. Instead, report this to the medical center during their open hours. Your vomiting is not an "emergency". This happened to me last year. They were very kind, told me to remain in the cabin and have room service bring me food and liquids until I was fever free and vomit/diarrhea free for 24 hours. I was in the cabin for a little over 24 hours. It sent my son out of the room to make sure that he wasn't exposed. It wasn't as bad as one might think. After a series of bathroom visits over the course of two hours- I was just exhausted and had a mild fever. I was was completely better within 24 hours. It may vary per person. No one else seemed to be ill on that sailing and I don't know if it was NORO or food poisoning. I thought perhaps it was seasickness but that wouldn't explain the mild fever.

Just do the right thing. None of my trivia pals ended up sick and as far as I know there was no outbreak.

That doesn't sound like Noro, but rather either something didn't agree with you or you had an allergic reaction. When I had Noro it was non-stop for about 36 hours.

Here's the problem...if you have noro, you will be contagious BEFORE you have symptoms...that makes it hard to control...viruses are like that!

Once the symptoms appear, you will NOT ignore them...you can't! You will be intimately attached to the commode. And, after you're done with that, you will feel so bad for at least 2 days, you will not be in public.

You are contagious BEFORE you know you're sick...that's the problem!

Hi Cruise Critic Moderator: I'd appreciate it if you could hold a vote about having Noro tests before boarding should one become available. The cost to cruise Iines and passenger expectations of Noro outbreaks is significant.

You can make your own poll. When you start a new thread, scroll down and check off the "Post a poll" box.

Wash your hands, wash you hands, wash your hands.

Keep those hands away from your face. The most usual entry 'ports' for the virus are eyes, nose, mouth, ears. If you do not touch a 'port' with Noro dirty hands, you will not get Noro.

and IF you contract Noro, think of everyone besides just yourself.

Quarntine and don't spread it all over the ship.

It is rare for a ship to go out without there being at least a few Noro cases. How far and fast it will spread is dependent upon how selfish and irresponsible the people with those early cases behave.

Not only can they spread it all over their ship but other ships sharing the same port.

If they go into a restaurant, jewelry store, bar, souvenir shop.... wherever. All they have to do is touch the counter, the knick knacks, the restroom, the table top with their dirty hands and the next person to touch that spot can be infected.

Here's the problem...if you have noro, you will be contagious BEFORE you have symptoms...that makes it hard to control...viruses are like that!

Once the symptoms appear, you will NOT ignore them...you can't! You will be intimately attached to the commode. And, after you're done with that, you will feel so bad for at least 2 days, you will not be in public.

Someone who has Noro can also be contagious after all their symptoms have disappeared. They may feel fine again but could be spreading the virus unknowingl for days.

Yep!

According to the CDC website - 30% of noro cases can be asymptomatic but continue to shed the virus. Symptoms can range from nausea/vomiting body aches and low grade fever "stomach flu" type symptoms, to the more severe as you described.

The incubation is 12 to 48 hours - so combine that with 30% asymptomatic and there's practically no way to keep it off the ship. If you contacted anywhere else up to 2 days before boarding a person may not be aware they had even been exposed before it hits.

After decades of development, the best currently existing NLV test requires a stool sample and about one week to get reliable results. And it is quite expensive.

By the time we get the results, the people suffering have recovered, gone home and back to work, and have forgotten the entire episode.

I predict that by the time cruise ships are floating around distant planets rather than on Earth's Oceans, there will be a quick, easy, and affordable test as you describe. Unfortunately you and I will be long gone, and no longer worrying about unclean behavior.

Meanwhile, if we could just educate those people raised by wolves on how a civilized human wipes his/her bottom and then properly washes hands afterward, we wouldn't need to spend all that money and wait for all those years.

We don't need any rocket science for this.

Meanwhile, if we could just educate those people raised by wolves on how a civilized human wipes his/her bottom and then properly washes hands afterward, we wouldn't need to spend all that money and wait for all those years.

We don't need any rocket science for this.

^^Like^^

...hold a vote about having Noro tests before boarding should one become available. The cost to cruise Iines and passenger expectations of Noro outbreaks is significant.....

Sorry but no such test will ever be available or given. The most the cruise line can do is to make you answer and sign the pre-boarding health questionnaire and go from there. I understand your concern but I think you need to face reality. It will never happen.

We can play the "blame game" on these threads, but in reality, any one of us could be spreading the virus and not know it.

People get to cruises in various ways, and eat in places they know nothing about, associate with people they don't know, and may or may not clean themselves properly.

Add to that they stampede for local restaurants at the ports. Many eat at these places and again know nothing about the place, food, or people who are there.

Noro is not necessarily borne or spread by unclean people. It is going to be there regardless of your personal habits. It is somewhat controlled by good hygeine, but can be started by the cleanest person on the ship.

Edited by swedish weave

I disagree. Those who do not properly wash their hands every single time they use a restroom or change a diaper are the primary vector for Noro. If people would learn to use soap and water and wash well, 99% of Noro cases wouldn't happen.

Best way to fix the problem? Don't be shy about calling out the pigs you see leaving a restroom without washing first. That goes for men who have used a urinal as well. Ask them if they are forgetting something, if they question, point blank tell them to wash their hands.

I disagree. Those who do not properly wash their hands every single time they use a restroom or change a diaper are the primary vector for Noro. If people would learn to use soap and water and wash well, 99% of Noro cases wouldn't happen.

Best way to fix the problem? Don't be shy about calling out the pigs you see leaving a restroom without washing first. That goes for men who have used a urinal as well. Ask them if they are forgetting something, if they question, point blank tell them to wash their hands.

AGREE....and I will admit that after seeing a poster in the ICU staff restroom last week end I have been more diligent about hand-washing.

Look at the way you hold your hands when you wash/rinse. Are your hands "cupped"? Look at those creases. Think about shaking hands with someone and where contact is - back of your hand particularly along the back and radial side of the thumb. That's another primary area missed when handwashing.

It is fine to disagree, but to manufacture statistics doesn't look very good.

Noro is easily spread and not all who contact the same items become ill. Therefore, you could wash your hands thoroughly, then touch anything that harbors the virus and you could carry it to another item or person.

Your advice to call out another person is not a good thing to do. It can only lead to problems.

So if someone didn't purchase travel insurance my fare needs to compensate them getting a full refund? What about their hotel stay, flights, etc.? What if it is one person out of a group booking?