No self serve laundry on Infinity, correct??

clojacks

I'm just trying to confirm that the Infinity DOES NOT have a self-serve laundry as we are thinking of booking her for a 14 day South American cruise. I know other lines will run laundry specials if they don't have self services on their longer itineraries, but am lacking a definitive answer about Celebrity and the Infinity on longer cruises. With the climate changes during a 14 day "around the Horn" sailing, packing and laundry could be interesting.

CruisingChick is correct that there is no self-serve laundry on board any Celebrity Ship.

For longer cruises we have done some laundry in our room using the sink and hanging the items up to dry in the bathroom. For these reason we pack a lot of dryfit type material which washes easily and dries quickly. You will have to bring some of your own laundry detergent as I don't recall it being for sale on the ship anywhere.

Edited by RickT

I'm just trying to confirm that the Infinity DOES NOT have a self-serve laundry as we are thinking of booking her for a 14 day South American cruise. I know other lines will run laundry specials if they don't have self services on their longer itineraries, but am lacking a definitive answer about Celebrity and the Infinity on longer cruises. With the climate changes during a 14 day "around the Horn" sailing, packing and laundry could be interesting.

Here's a link to laundry prices and on a 14 day they will usually run some type of bag specials. Also, be advised that Celebrity does not allow irons or steamers to be brought on board, they will be confiscated upon boarding to be returned at end of trip.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faq.do?pagename=footer_pages_faq#2

Infinity is one of our favorite ships, and as already noted there are no self-serve guest laundry facilities on any Celebrity ship.

We generally do fourteen day and longer cruises, and our experience has been that at times there will be a "stuff a laundry bag" for a flat fee price coupon offer, but not always. We were on the recent Constellation TA, and there was a "Laundry Bag Challenge" coupon in which as much laundry as possible, without tearing the paper bag, was washed for $34.99. This price didn't include pressing.

• 4 weeks later...
We were on the recent Constellation TA, and there was a "Laundry Bag Challenge" coupon in which as much laundry as possible, without tearing the paper bag, was washed for $34.99.

Yikes! That's pretty pricey! I'm used to Princess' self serve laundry or free, unlimited laundry in Princess suites. The self serve washers and dryers each cost $2/load. And the laundry room has an iron and ironing board plus a soap dispenser ($1 per box). Wonder why Celebrity doesn't put these into their ships?? Such a benefit. Princess has them on most stateroom decks.

We'll be on a 14 day cruise this year and next year - I like to pack lightly, so not looking forward to washing my clothes in the bathroom sink or bathtub. At least we'll have a balcony that we can hang them out on to dry. :rolleyes:

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Yikes! That's pretty pricey! I'm used to Princess' self serve laundry or free, unlimited laundry in Princess suites. The self serve washers and dryers each cost $2/load. And the laundry room has an iron and ironing board plus a soap dispenser ($1 per box). Wonder why Celebrity doesn't put these into their ships?? Such a benefit. Princess has them on most stateroom decks.

We'll be on a 14 day cruise this year and next year - I like to pack lightly, so not looking forward to washing my clothes in the bathroom sink or bathtub. At least we'll have a balcony that we can hang them out on to dry. :rolleyes:

Compare that to the price of checking an extra bag of clothing round-trip on the airlines and lugging it to/from the ship. Not to mention taking the time to do the laundry on your own during your vacation....

Compare that to the price of checking an extra bag of clothing round-trip on the airlines and lugging it to/from the ship. Not to mention taking the time to do the laundry on your own during your vacation....

Someone once calculated the price per hour of a typical cruise, including transportation and incidental costs to make it happen. It worked out to be about $14 per hour per person. So, if a person spends two hours doing their own laundry, it is costing them around $30 in lost vacation time and machine use to do it. Bottom line - there IS a noteworthy cost to doing your own laundry.

I won't be lugging any extra luggage around - as I mentioned, I pack lightly, which makes doing laundry even more important. And with 9 sea days, I don't mind doing a little bit of laundry on a lazy afternoon. Sure beats wasting $35/bag - and those bags aren't very big.

Like I said, Princess really rocks when compared to Celebrity in the area of laundry. (Please no flames from Celebrity cheerleaders - each cruiseline has pros and cons). Laundry isn't an issue if you take cruises of 7 days or less, but on longer ones it really helps to have an economical way to keep clothing clean. :)

I won't be lugging any extra luggage around - as I mentioned, I pack lightly, which makes doing laundry even more important. And with 9 sea days, I don't mind doing a little bit of laundry on a lazy afternoon. Sure beats wasting $35/bag - and those bags aren't very big.

Like I said, Princess really rocks when compared to Celebrity in the area of laundry. (Please no flames from Celebrity cheerleaders - each cruiseline has pros and cons). Laundry isn't an issue if you take cruises of 7 days or less, but on longer ones it really helps to have an economical way to keep clothing clean. :)

No need to be condescending! I am not cheerleader for any cruise line when I say that I go on vacation to get AWAY from daily chores I don't enjoy doing, and avoid them at all costs. If I need to budget a few $$$ more to have my laundry done, than no problem. I have already budgeted to be on vacation, so why in the world would I want to try to save a few bucks by doing unnecessary chores while on vacation? While on vacation I don't make my own bed, I don't cook my own meals, I don't make my own drinks, I don't wash my own dishes. And I am not going to do my own laundry. Otherwise, what is the point of "getting away"?

So, if you want to accuse me of being a cheerleader, then I'm guilty as charged for cheering on the PTMary team! "Go PTs"!!!! :D

Edited by PTMary

We cruise both Celebrity and Princess and usually spend time touring before and after the cruise. For this reason we pack very lightly - no fun trying to squeeze extra suitcases into a small rental car or drag them upstairs in a motel or B&B.

On Princess we use the laundry when needed, and it doesn't take two hours of my time. I put a load of washing in, then go about whatever I would otherwise be doing, with a timer on my phone, then transfer it to the dryer. No need to stay with it!

Our longest Celebrity cruise up to now, has been 28 days, a B2B. We have accumulated a cruise wardrobe of easy to wash and dry items, and wash them in the sink before bed. It takes less than 10 minutes to wash out underwear and Tshirts. We will send out a bag of larger items, used to be once a cruise when we paid for it, but now we are Elite we get a free bag each.

I am quite happy with either system because they both work for us.

Sheila

Everyone should boycott Celebrity until they add free self-serve laundries to every deck of every ship.

Great idea!!!

But that still isn't good enough. Each stateroom must have it's own laundry facilities. Why would I want people looking at my dirty clothes in a, horror of horrors, COMMON laundry room? I don't take my clothes at home to a public laundry - why should I have to on a cruise ship??????

Until they make the changes, I'm immediately cancelling all my Celebrity cruises. I'm on the phone right now booking on Princess because, as we have been told, "Princess really rocks when compared to Celebrity in the area of laundry", and I have some laundry I need to do right away so sure could use their Rockin' laundry facilities. :D

Edited by sloopsailor

Because Celebrity doesn't need to be exactly like Princess. They have a product that many people are quite satisfied with, with the majority of their customers indicating they are not interested in self service laundry. Why should they copy another cruise line just for your own convenience?

One of the benefits of having several cruise line companies to choose from is that they are sufficiently different enough from each other that they provide their own unique cruise experience. If there is something you need to make you happy, book on the cruise lines that offer that thing. Why criticize other cruise lines because they are different than your favorite? What you like isn't what everybody likes.

Edited by boogs

Great idea!!!

But that still isn't good enough. Each stateroom must have it's own laundry facilities. Why would I want people looking at my dirty clothes in a, horror of horrors, COMMON laundry room? I don't take my clothes at home to a public laundry - why should I have to on a cruise ship??????

Until they make the changes, I'm immediately cancelling all my Celebrity cruises. I'm on the phone right now booking on Princess because, as we have been told, "Princess really rocks when compared to Celebrity in the area of laundry", and I have some laundry I need to do right away so sure could use their Rockin' laundry facilities. :D

Excellent idea!

Because Celebrity doesn't need to be exactly like Princess. They have a product that many people are quite satisfied with, with the majority of their customers indicating they are not interested in self service laundry. Why should they copy another cruise line just for your own convenience?

One of the benefits of having several cruise line companies to choose from is that they are sufficiently different enough from each other that they provide their own unique cruise experience. If there is something you need to make you happy, book on the cruise lines that offer that thing. Why criticize other cruise lines because they are different than your favorite? What you like isn't what everybody likes.

Thanks for pointing out the value of being different than everyone else. If all cruise lines copied each other, they would all be identical and we'd only have one cruise line experience available to us. Diversity in cruise line experiences is important to discerning cruisers. There is a cruise line out there for virtually every preference. THAT is much better than "one-size-fits-all" approach.

Everyone should boycott Celebrity until they add free self-serve laundries to every deck of every ship.

An alternative might be to cruise enough to get to the Zenith level and then receive unlimited free laundry and dry cleaning. Will cost a bit more than doing it yourself, but much more fun :)

This is pretty funny. The amount you'd pay for laundry has to be an extremely small percentage of the overall cruise cost, not even counting excursions, drinks packages, specialty restaurants, etc. but there are always people complaining about this small amount of extra expense.

My wife and I have used the laundry on princess when we aboard, and we send out our laundry when we're on celebrity. But there are many other things we don't care for on princess that having the laundry does not make up for.

What is this fascination with people wanting to do laundry while on a cruise! Do you make your bed as well? To spend time on a sea day doing laundry is not happening! The only one that would be doing laundry on a cruise we take is "no-one". I have cruised lines with self laundry and what a nightmare. Laundry is a budget item - DH has his shirts done by X - he knows better than to ask me to do his laundry even if X offered self serve laundry lol On the last ship we were on with self laundry, there were a whole bunch of women sitting in the laundry room reading books while they guarded their washer/dryer because if you were not there when it finished you could find you laundry on the floor. Really??. I'm not doing it lol

This is such a non issue to us but if it is important, avoid RCL and Celebrity!

What is this fascination with people wanting to do laundry while on a cruise! Do you make your bed as well? To spend time on a sea day doing laundry is not happening! The only one that would be doing laundry on a cruise we take is "no-one". I have cruised lines with self laundry and what a nightmare. Laundry is a budget item - DH has his shirts done by X - he knows better than to ask me to do his laundry even if X offered self serve laundry lol On the last ship we were on with self laundry, there were a whole bunch of women sitting in the laundry room reading books while they guarded their washer/dryer because if you were not there when it finished you could find you laundry on the floor. Really??. I'm not doing it lol

This is such a non issue to us but if it is important, avoid RCL and Celebrity!

At one time I was a frequent Princess cruiser. I remember many threads on the Princess Board complaining about staying in a cabin near the laundry rooms. People are different and have different priorities. Perhaps that's one reason we have many choices in how we want to spend our cruise dollars and can select a cruise that best meets our needs. I'm getting some popcorn and will watch as this tread becomes a Princess v. Celebrity discussion.

What she said! :D

The last ship I was on that had a self-service laundry someone decided to dye something and didn't do it right and all the people who did their wash in that machine following had blue clothes. It was a nightmare for the cruise line. I also have a memory of soapsuds bubbling down the corridor when someone didn't follow the instructions and put too much soap in. What a mess!

Our last seven or eight cruises have been a minimum of 11 nights which also coincides with foreign travel. When we gather our benefits we always earmark a reasonable amount for laundry. I still wash most of my things in the sink and send out my DH's longer drying things to the laundry. I found the greatest device at The Container Store last week. It's a one hook gizmo with 12 small clips on a rectangular base. I've already put it to use but it will go in my laundry supply bag when we pack for our next cruise.

Don't forget the more you sail Celebrity the greater the laundry benefits are. Hope to make that free service soon!!!!!!

A laundry fee on Celebrity sure beats any day on Princess.

Cannot agree. One of the reasons I prefer Celebrity to Azamara is that there is no self-laundry. The self-laundry on Azamara causes problems with queues, noise, arguments between guest which was only exacerbated when they abolished the charges for using it. Add to that the feelings of guilt for NOT using it or the time wasted by using it and I am firmly of the opinion that Celebrity should not add a self-laundry facility.