Piano Bar Schedule (updated)

mhurdle127

Is there a piano bar on the Koningsdam?

No. :( Billboard On Board is an entirely different concept and atmosphere than a piano bar. It is two piano players entertaining an audience, as opposed to the party feel of a piano bar.

No. :( Billboard On Board is an entirely different concept and atmosphere than a piano bar. It is two piano players entertaining an audience, as opposed to the party feel of a piano bar.

I can respectfully disagree a bit here. I loved Jimmy Maddox and Stryker. And I was very worried about the BOB concept of two piano players. But I think it depends on the entertainers

Recently on the Zuiderdam there were two "kids" - Anderson and Danny - who were as entertaining as any in the old piano bar. People were singing along and they were interacting with the audience. And many more people were able to appreciate them. The old piano bars were small and always overcrowded. (I understand there were some dud entertainers in the old piano bars as well)

So give it a chance, you may be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So give it a chance, you may be surprised.

Billboard may or may not be something I enjoy, clearly depending to some extent on the musicians. But in no way will it be the same atmosphere that the Piano Bars of the past have been. It is a different concept.

The Piano Lounges on the R-class ships were/are a different concept from the Piano Bars of the S-class ships, and changed the atmosphere a good amount. Mix has thrown all that right out the window and changed it another good amount.

The Vista/Signature Piano Bars were closer to the concept on the S-class ship, but because they were so much larger, execution was different.

Not so slowly HAL has gotten away from the Piano Bar atmosphere to introduce something very, very different. Can it be fun? Sure depends on what a person is looking for, and the musicians doing the job, but certainly possible. Is it a piano bar? No. Not at all the same.

Jimmy's schedule ...

Zaandam Nov 8, 2016 thru Jan 10, 2017 South America

Nieuw Amsterdam March 5, 2017 thru April 8, 2017 Caribbean

And, then, he will leave HAL...at least that's "the word on the street". Very sad day....Jimmy is the very best. ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And, then, he will leave HAL...at least that's "the word on the street". Very sad day....Jimmy is the very best. ❤️

We loved Jeremy on our recent HAL Amazon Explorer...think he played every night of the 48 days.

He told everyone he was leaving as well....will be on another line.

Sad to see these talented performers moving on,

We loved Jeremy on our recent HAL Amazon Explorer...think he played every night of the 48 days.

He told everyone he was leaving as well....will be on another line.

Sad to see these talented performers moving on,

Yes, it is. The Piano Bar is one of the things we enjoy on HAL. If they keep chipping away, HAL will be a skeleton of its' former self. [emoji1304]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy's schedule ...

Zaandam Nov 8, 2016 thru Jan 10, 2017 South America

Nieuw Amsterdam March 5, 2017 thru April 8, 2017 Caribbean

And, then, he will leave HAL...at least that's "the word on the street". Very sad day ...
It's more than the word on the street. Jimmy's confirmed it himself here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52712483#post52712483

As avid users of the piano bar on previous HAL cruises we were wary of what lay in store the Koningsdam for the recent Transatlantic crossing. We were not disappointed in any way. The two entertainers worked well together Sarah and Will. Sarah has previously worked as a solo Piano Player with HAL and Will is new to the format. As others have said it is not the Piano Bar as we knew them and the Bill board on Board format did restrict them in some sessions to play from a playlist, there were nightly request slots and there was not much they did not try when asked. My suggestion for what it is worth is give it a try. On the Koningsdam there was also a nightly solo Piano player who played but as far as I saw he does not sing along. Every time we passed it was full so I guess he was very good too.

I will also be on Voyage of the Vikings 2017 and 2018. In between, I will take Maasdam from San Diego to Australia, New Zealand,Bora Bora,Tahiti and more, then return to circumnavigate Cape Horn on the Zaandam.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

(Groan - bad memories from the Indonesia Rotterdam)

I will also be on Voyage of the Vikings 2017 and 2018. In between, I will take Maasdam from San Diego to Australia, New Zealand,Bora Bora,Tahiti and more, then return to circumnavigate Cape Horn on the Zaandam.

How exciting!

Is the piano bar alive and well on the Veendam in June or is it twin pianos ???

Neither. The Veendam's lovely little Piano Bar was removed and replaced with The Mix quite a while back. I would not expect it to be replaced with Dueling Pianos as the ship is actively up for sale.

Neither. The Veendam's lovely little Piano Bar was removed and replaced with The Mix quite a while back. I would not expect it to be replaced with Dueling Pianos as the ship is actively up for sale.

I believe there's a piano nook in the Mix and Do you know who's playing please

I believe there's a piano nook in the Mix and Do you know who's playing please

There is a piano and musician in The Mix; it's just not a Piano Bar, with its unique atmosphere, any longer.

I have no idea who is playing there now.

I thought I read that Barry from Boston was doing the Canada/New England 2017 cruises, but it sounds like that's not true. Anyone know who is?

I thought I read that Barry from Boston was doing the Canada/New England 2017 cruises, but it sounds like that's not true. Anyone know who is?

I will be doing Boston cruises on board Veendam, this year and next. I board in Fort Lauderdale tomorrow, heading for Montreal.

Had to smile at "Barry from Boston's" post about him being on the Voyage of the Vikings (so are we). We first experienced Barry a long time ago (we are talking decades) on what was then called RCCL (now RCI). We were all a lot younger, and Barry was a lot of fun. For those that want to sit back and listen to quiet music in a Piano Bar....Barry is probably not for you. But for those of us who like to stay up past 10, sing along, challenge Barry to remember a song (he know's thousands without needing music)...Barry is fun. Over the years we kept missing him while we vacationed in Aruba (Barry used to work at a popular Piano Bar near Palm Beach). DW and I are looking forward to spending more then a month with this talent.

Hank