Short cruise enough?

hello everyone!!

My husband and I have the chance to take a short cruise in Aug...just a 4 day out of Port Canaveral. My worry is that 4 days just isn't enough! We have always done a week long cruise, but we both have stressful jobs and I am getting my masters as well and just thought we needed something to recharge! Would you take a short cruise versus not taking one at all?

Also, stops are at CoCoCay and Nassau. If they cancel CoCoCay, as I hear they often do, is there another day at Nassau or just an extra sea day?

If the choice is no cruise or a 4-day cruise, then I'd go for the 4-day cruise.

Regarding missing Coco Cay, it could be an extra day at Nassau, an extra day at sea, or they might try to get into Coco Cay on the normal sea day, which is Thursday.

Edited by clarea

You will have an extra sea day, if you miss Coco Cay, in almost 99% of cases.

You will find the "feel" of a short cruise to be different from the weeklong or longer cruises....everyone will be trying to fit in a weeks worth of fun into a shorter time. Think more partiers!

If I didn't have to fly to port, yes, I'd consider it. If I had to spend airfare on top of the cost of the cruise, I wouldn't. Flying is too much hassle (for me!) for that short amount of time.

hello everyone!!

My husband and I have the chance to take a short cruise in Aug...just a 4 day out of Port Canaveral. My worry is that 4 days just isn't enough! We have always done a week long cruise, but we both have stressful jobs and I am getting my masters as well and just thought we needed something to recharge! Would you take a short cruise versus not taking one at all?

Also, stops are at CoCoCay and Nassau. If they cancel CoCoCay, as I hear they often do, is there another day at Nassau or just an extra sea day?

If Coco Cay gets cancelled it will be a sea day most likely.

I did the 3 night weekend cruise on Monarch a few years ago and it definitely was not enough. It seems like you no longer get settled in and its over. I would not do this cruise again unless I lived in central FL.

If by 4 day you actually mean the 4 night Monday - Thursday cruise, I think that would be a little better to me but I dont think i can do less than 7 nights now. Unless again, I lived real close to the port.

With all that said, ANY cruise is better than NO cruise :)

Edited by ryano

I was on the 4 day from Port Canaveral in May 14. Tuesday was scheduled Coco Cay day and Thursdays at sea day. Announcement was made days would be switched due to weather in Coco Cay and we slowed to about 7 knots arriving in Nassau as planned on Wednesday.

Thursday at Coco Cay it was hit or miss. Tenders ran awhile, then stopped several times due to weather but overall it turned out OK.

Okay good...you are all making me feel a little better!

Is Enchantment big enough to get away from the partying if we have had enough? We are pretty young, but prefer having drinks AND conversation vs drinks and falling over...if you know what I mean!!!

Is Enchantment big enough to get away from the partying if we have had enough? We are pretty young, but prefer having drinks AND conversation vs drinks and falling over...if you know what I mean!!!

Head to Schooner bar or Viking Crown Lounge. During the day hardly anyone in them and evenings quite nice for a quiet drink and conversation. Schooner bar has a piano player evenings and nights.

I've done 3, 4 and 7 day cruises. Of course longer is better but any cruise is good. Even though it's just one more day the four day cruise seems more like a real cruise.

Enchantment is great. I was on it a few month ago for a four day and it didn't seem like a party crowd at all. Plenty of quiet places. Viking lounge is normally pretty quiet except when it turns into the disco. R bar is pretty peaceful also.

We enjoyed our 4 day cruise on the Enchantment in March. We missed Coco Cay, but went to Nassau that day and stayed overnight in Nassau.

This worked out well. We went to the Melia (formerly Sheraton) the first afternoon and did the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon Island the next day.

We like Coco Cay, but the Melia is good too.

We pondered with this same question. Finally, we ended up saying, "What the heck." We booked the 2 Day cruise on Oasis for the Labor Day weekend. What was the seller for us was that I will not have to burn any vacation time to take this one. On top of that, it will probably be some time before we get another chance to be on an Oasis class ship. Yes, the airfare ended up costing as much as the cruise, but whatever...it is a cruise! :D If a short cruise is all you can fit in right now, go for it!

Edited by OKC Cruisers

Hi,

I prefer longer cruises, but I have done many short cruises (three to five days) that I greatly enjoyed. The short cruises are a nice break without taking off too much time from work. I try to squeeze in shorter cruises between my longer cruises.

Chuck

We find the 4-day Enchantment cruises much less "party" ships than the 3-day weekend cruises. We're much older than you, and we've never felt out of place or had difficulty finding a quiet place to enjoy the sea. We like Enchantment so much we've started celebrating our anniversary on her every year.

Enjoy!

Dick and Margy

Edited by Margy23

Any cruise is better than no cruise, but for us it would depend on the cost of the air. Lately the air can be more than an inside cabin for a week. I wouldn't let the hassle of flying stop me, but the price....

Thank you all so much for your thoughts! We will be driving, but have family on the way to stay with if we don't want to do it all at once. Airfare is way too prohibitive, especially since we are cruising out of San Juan next year. We just love the ocean so much...the sea was definitely calling!!!

Many of us from South Florida jump on weekend cruises all of the time. My husband and I used to book on Wednesday or Thursday for the immediate Friday (before we had kids!). The weekend cruises (or four nighters) are super fun. I think that you really relax and are a good value.

I was on Enchantment last Dec, and there wasn't a problem with people being drunk. It's not the newest ship in the fleet, but it actually quite nice. There are several nice areas to sit (the names of the bars/areas escape me at the moment) but if you're looking for a quiet place you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

While I prefer 7-day cruises, the 4-day ones are fun too. They basically schedule the biggest entertainment events from a week long cruise into a shorter time span. Qwest (or is it Quest?) and the Love and Marriage games are there, as well as the stage shows and a comic. It's quite a good time.