Disembarking in Vancouver

Dismomx5

The cruise is getting closer! Next week, we'll be boarding the Zuiderdam for the 7 day cruise to Alaska, beginning and ending in Vancouver. I've read the posts about embarkation at Canada Place, but haven't been able to find out about disembarkation at Canada Place. We've booked an HAL tour/transfer to the airport, time listed at 9:00.

1. Will there be customs forms to pre-fill or is that done once we get off the ship? (we're Canadian, and we don't usually spend much in souvenirs, so that shouldn't be a problem, I should think)

2. Assuming that there is a specific process to get off. Can someone explain that to me?
  3. Is there room service for breakfast that day? Or does everyone eat at the Lido?

Thank you for helping me picture in my head what we will meet that day!

You fill out the Customs form a few days before disembarkation day.

Since you have a HAL tour, your disembarkation time will be set to get you to the bus at the right time.

Breakfast is Main Dining Room, Lido or Room Service. If you choose the latter, order it early, like 6 am: no-shows have been reported on the board!

Once you are on the ship you will receive in your cabin a disembarkation questionnaire about your leaving. Since you already have a HLA transfer you will just fill in the info. Based on these forms the crew assigns everyone to a specific color group and you will receive luggage tags to match as well as a letter explaining the disembarkation procedure and you approximate leave time. You will place your big suitcases with their tags outside your cabin door when you go to bed the night before. During the night they will "magically" disappear.

If memory serves, there is no room service that morning but the Lido will open early to accommodate everyone.

You can then wait in your cabin or in a lounge for your group to be called for disembarkation. Note that your cabin attendants will be very anxious to get your room cleaned and may begin the process while you are at breakfast.

It's been a while since I was at Canada Place so I don't recall the customs procedure there.

If memory serves, there is no room service that morning but the Lido will open early to accommodate everyone.

There absolutely, positively IS room service breakfast on that last morning. It's the most civilized way to be kicked off the ship, and I use it every time.

The cruise is getting closer! Next week, we'll be boarding the Zuiderdam for the 7 day cruise to Alaska, beginning and ending in Vancouver. I've read the posts about embarkation at Canada Place, but haven't been able to find out about disembarkation at Canada Place. We've booked an HAL tour/transfer to the airport, time listed at 9:00.

1. Is there room service for breakfast that day? Or does everyone eat at the Lido?

Thank you for helping me picture in my head what we will meet that day!

Room Service breakfast is ordered the night before disembarkation by hanging the Room Service tag on your door handle. This is true for EVERY Room Service breakfast during your cruise.

Here is the scanned Room Service breakfast tag:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

Here are some pictures of the Zuiderdam activities to give you a headstart:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1605

Enjoy the Zuiderdam. IMHO it has great facilities and a very friendly crew.

Edited by Crew News

Room Service breakfast is ordered the night before disembarkation by hanging the Room Service tag on your door handle. This is true for EVERY Room Service breakfast during your cruise.

Room service breakfast can be ordered that way, but it isn't required that it be ordered using the hang tag. An order can also be called in to room service in the morning.

Room service breakfast can be ordered that way, but it isn't required that it be ordered using the hang tag. An order can also be called in to room service in the morning.

I can confirm that, having done so myself on disembarkation day. By calling room service on the final morning we had a full breakfast in our room to savour the last hour or so onboard, whilst enjoying the scenery across Burrard Inlet.:)

Just to add one negative to disembarking in Vancouver (and I am a local so very defensive of that wonderful city)..... It can be chaotic once you get into the terminal, thanks to the HAL reps who insist on gathering up and lining all the shore excursion passengers right where you need to walk through and exit - and across the elevators to the parking lot. It is almost impossible to get through to the elevator with your luggage and we found it totally frustrating. :(.

Just to add one negative to disembarking in Vancouver (and I am a local so very defensive of that wonderful city)..... It can be chaotic once you get into the terminal' date=' thanks to the HAL reps who insist on gathering up and lining all the shore excursion passengers right where you need to walk through and exit - and across the elevators to the parking lot. It is almost impossible to get through to the elevator with your luggage and we found it totally frustrating. :(.[/quote']

I know what you are talking about: see it ever time we sail into Vancouver. That is why we always do self-disembarkation: off before the HAL reps get going! There a a few long-time reps who are less than savvy, unfortunately.

Immediately after disembarkation the queue proceeds past CBSA officers who will verify travel documents and collect customs declarations. You then enter the baggage reclaim area, where you look for your colour--within which bags are arranged by tag number.

Having collected your bags, you carry on out of the secure area into the public area of the terminal where HAL reps will send you to your bus.

When I disembarked last time in Vancouver, it was a total of 12 minutes from gangway to being on the curb in front of the Pan Pacific.

Thank you for all the information. I'm sorry that HAL doesn't have a better system so as not to block others from disembarking. It's been "cool" here today, so I've had a taste of Alaska weather. ;) Only 9 more days!

Once you are on the bus, be prepared for a lengthy wait for the remainder of the passengers.

That can be true if you are the first one on the bus, but the odds are the same that you will be the last one on the bus---so no wait at all.

I read this all the time, but my experience has been consistently different.

I regularly take HAL transfers both to and from the airport, and find very little wait for the bus to be filled and leave. Especially on the transfer to the airport, passengers on the same bus have the same departure color/number. They are all heading to the same fleet of busses at the same time. As they arrive, each bus is filled one at a time, so there aren't a few people each in several busses---all waiting to be filled.

It just takes a few minutes from the time the first person boards until the last one is seated. Then that bus leaves, and another bus is started.

No big deal.

We went thru this process a week ago and Canada Place/HAL went smoothly. We got to the Lido when they opened and there were plenty of tables, even when we were finished there were tables available.

Surprise, they only collected the customs declaration, didn't ask for passports.

Ride to YVR about 45 minutes. all smooth so far

And then there was Air Canada about 1 hour in line to check in they have 2 lines for cruise ship pass. but still a long wait. Only a few check in machines available. Nothing like YYZ which is bigger, busier and has more check in machines.

Bob

We went thru this process a week ago and Canada Place/HAL went smoothly. We got to the Lido when they opened and there were plenty of tables, even when we were finished there were tables available.

Surprise, they only collected the customs declaration, didn't ask for passports.

Ride to YVR about 45 minutes. all smooth so far

And then there was Air Canada about 1 hour in line to check in they have 2 lines for cruise ship pass. but still a long wait. Only a few check in machines available. Nothing like YYZ which is bigger, busier and has more check in machines.

Bob

Our flight isn't until 2:15, so, hopefully, all those early flight passengers will be gone by the time we arrive after the city tour. (11:30 or so) ;)

I know what you are talking about: see it ever time we sail into Vancouver. That is why we always do self-disembarkation: off before the HAL reps get going! There a a few long-time reps who are less than savvy, unfortunately.

We have seen some folks on all of our self-disembarkation options who probably should not have been lugging their own belongings.

Do a trial run before the cruise, particularly on ramps, to see if you indeed have confidence in your ability to assume this task.

For some travellers, self-disembarkation can be quite arduous and could possibly complicate an existing health or mobility issue.

We have seen some folks on all of our self-disembarkation options who probably should not have been lugging their own belongings.

Do a trial run before the cruise, particularly on ramps, to see if you indeed have confidence in your ability to assume this task.

For some travellers, self-disembarkation can be quite arduous and could possibly complicate an existing health or mobility issue.

At some US ports you have to navigate an escalator with one hand free to use self-disembarkation. Therefore, most people had to take the elevator, which really slow things down (long lines).

DaveOKC